Apple closes all retail stores outside of China until March 27

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    echosonic said:
    This is the most overblown BS I have seen in my lifetime.  Pure hype.  The entirety of the American media should be dissolved for creating this panic.

Corona killed what, less than 100 Americans?  Swine Flu killed 23,000 Americans, nothing.  Measles?  Nothing.  H1N1?  Nothing.  EBOLA?  Not a damned thing.  

One basketball player gets a cold and the whole country loses its f#$(%(&  mind.  

Glad I have cash on hand because the market is having the sale of the century, and all its going to cost is the economy, and thousands of jobs.

Shame on all of you lemmings who are playing along.
    Learn about the situation.  100 people is only in this very early phase.  This spreads easily without you knowing you have it to others for 2 weeks.  Most people will have few or mild symptoms, but the remainder will have very severe life threatening symptoms that require them to go on ventilators.  There are not nearly enough ventilators for the number of people expected to catch Corona virus, so doctors will need to decide who lives and dies.  We run out of ventilators and the death rate goes up much higher.  It is important we slow the spread to prevent this.  We are poorly prepared and should have more ventilators stockpiled, but other countries are in the same situation.  The severe symptoms are more likely in older people, but young healthy people also have a chance of severe symptoms.  If you accidentally kill your friends and family, maybe you would have another opinion on this.
    edited March 2020 MacProbaconstangDogpersonpscooter63Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 63
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    JWSC said:
    echosonic said:
    This is the most overblown BS I have seen in my lifetime.  Pure hype.  The entirety of the American media should be dissolved for creating this panic.

Corona killed what, less than 100 Americans?  Swine Flu killed 23,000 Americans, nothing.  Measles?  Nothing.  H1N1?  Nothing.  EBOLA?  Not a damned thing.  

One basketball player gets a cold and the whole country loses its f#$(%(&  mind.  

Glad I have cash on hand because the market is having the sale of the century, and all its going to cost is the economy, and thousands of jobs.

Measles rarely kills on its own, but it completely resets the immune system’s memory of all past responses, and so many who contract it end up dead from cancer or other maladies.  And so it’s nothing to play around with.  It would have been eradicated if not for the ignorant anti-vaxxers.  Please don’t tell us you’re one of those.

Covid-19 has killed less than 100 Americans because it’s still in very early stages in America.  A tepid initial response has allowed internal transmission and that marks the true beginning of an outbreak in any country.  See South Korea, Iran and especially Italy.  There were 11k new cases worldwide today, illustrating this virus’ capacity to spread quite easily.  Italy’s death toll stands at 14%.  A fast spreading contagion with the potential to kill 14% in a population that skews older (Italy’s median population is 45.1 years; one of the oldest) is nothing to ignore.  

US median age is 37.7 years, so it’s a country in a better position relative to Italy.  Maybe.  Here in the Philippines where I’m currently living a semi-retired life as an American expat, the median age is around 24 years.  That can be good and bad.  It’s good that most will experience only mild symptoms, but bad because they may therefore not report and spread the disease to others, eventually to the elderly in their families and communities and to the expat population, which skews older.  A similar phenomenon may occur among the younger generation in every country, allowing the disease to hide while spreading.  

We are not lemmings to take this seriously, we are prudent.  You should do your research and apply some critical thinking.  

Italy’s death toll has to do with the fact that the peak infection rate exceeded their health care system’s capacity. Many of those who died did so only because of lack of treatment.  Michael Shellenberger has some good articles on this.

This panic is overblown and because of the public panic a lot of people are making very poor decisions because they don’t have the mental tools to understand relative risks and probabilities.  Much of the media and election year politics is clouding any such discussion.  This is a public policy disaster in the making.

I agree John Q. Public is making poor decisions due to panic you see this at the supermarkets etc, but are you seem to be saying that the government response is overblown? Also seeing that you apparently have the ‘mental tools’ please help us understand the relative risks and probabilities. We are all ears. Help us out.
    tmay
  • Reply 23 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tmay said:

ITGUYINSD said:
    echosonic said:

Measles rarely kills on its own, but it completely resets the immune system’s memory of all past responses, and so many who contract it end up dead from cancer or other maladies.  And so it’s nothing to play around with.  It would have been eradicated if not for the ignorant anti-vaxxers.  Please don’t tell us you’re one of those.

Covid-19 has killed less than 100 Americans because it’s still in very early stages in America.  A tepid initial response has allowed internal transmission and that marks the true beginning of an outbreak in any country.  See South Korea, Iran and especially Italy.  There were 11k new cases worldwide today, illustrating this virus’ capacity to spread quite easily.  Italy’s death toll stands at 14%.  A fast spreading contagion with the potential to kill 14% in a population that skews older (Italy’s median population is 45.1 years; one of the oldest) is nothing to ignore.  

US median age is 37.7 years, so it’s a country in a better position relative to Italy.  Maybe.  Here in the Philippines where I’m currently living a semi-retired life as an American expat, the median age is around 24 years.  That can be good and bad.  It’s good that most will experience only mild symptoms, but bad because they may therefore not report and spread the disease to others, eventually to the elderly in their families and communities and to the expat population, which skews older.  A similar phenomenon may occur among the younger generation in every country, allowing the disease to hide while spreading.  

We are not lemmings to take this seriously, we are prudent.  You should do your research and apply some critical thinking.  

Wish you were here in the US to see the panic buying.  Bottled water is flying off the shelves.  Why?  Is normal tap water contaminated now?   Grocery store shelves are empty.  And the big question in my mind is what happens if/when the US is "recovered"?  It takes just one person flying in from somewhere in the world (keep in mind it'll be winter in the southern hemisphere soon and may make the spread there worse), to start the spread all over again.  Do we lock out everyone from coming to the US for a year?  

China's actions are working because no one is going there.   Seems it would take the same for the US to recover.   What is the long term solution?
    At some point, herd immunity will happen. Then of course, you can look forward to mutations, same as the seasonal flu.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-britons-will-need-to-contract-covid-19-for-herd-immunity-11956793
    Herd immunity is a man made thing thanks to vaccinations and is easily broken absent the vaccinations.  As seen when morons don't vaccinate and the virus gets a foothold again and mutates to a new strain the previous immunity can't help with.  I am not sure how without vaccinations you attain herd immunity, the common cold is a virus and humans have probably had for since the rise of  the species and we are not doing too well at any form of auto-immunity with that virus.  Viruses are very primitive and mutate a lot as they have no DNA error checking.  I half expect the large gathering of clueless students now descending on Florida for Spring break to congregate en masse and propagate a new mutation the kills young people who thus far have escaped lightly.
    Dogperson
  • Reply 24 of 63
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    gilly33 said:
    Full pay while off work. Good on Apple and Tim Cook. I know Tim has a lot of haters but this guy has heart. 
    Yes.  Good on Apple.  We can usually count on them to do the right thing.  Too bad for the millions upon millions of working poor who will soon be out of jobs and with no pay.

How many millions will lose their jobs, livelihoods, businesses, and ability to feed their families over the next couple of months?  Fear mongering has reached new lows. We might as well have set of a nuclear bomb.  The result on people’s lives will be just as devastating.  It need not have been this way had politicians and the media taken a more measured approach to combatting this outbreak.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 63
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    That's great but perhaps AI can inquire with Mr. Cook to find out if customers will be compensated should they have on-going repairs (or need repair) and Apple delays those repairs for the period of closure?  I'm also curious how Cook came up with this March 27th re-open date.   Hard to fathom how a mere 13 days is sufficient; even Disney theme parks are closed until the beginning of April.  Perhaps Cook has calculated the amount of time that the general public will become inoculated to the panic/hysteria.  
  • Reply 26 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    esummers said:
    echosonic said:

Learn about the situation.  100 people is only in this very early phase.  This spreads easily without you knowing you have it to others for 2 weeks.  Most people will have few or mild symptoms, but the remainder will have very severe life threatening symptoms that require them to go on ventilators.  There are not nearly enough ventilators for the number of people expected to catch Corona virus, so doctors will need to decide who lives and dies.  We run out of ventilators and the death rate goes up much higher.  The severe symptoms are more likely in older people, but young healthy people also have a chance of severe symptoms.  If you accidentally kill your friends and family, maybe you would have another opinion on this.
    I would like to echo this as I have contact with people within the health system (Spain in this case).

More spaces can be opened within hospitals for critical emergency care but those spaces can't be opened anywhere within the hospital. There are aspects that govern their placement. However, if a patient deteriorates to the point of requiring mechanical ventilation, we know that health systems will not be able to cope with current projections of the spread. What is worse is that demand for ventilators is far outstripping supply. This means some difficult and cold headed decisions will have to be taken. 

This one of the reasons for the current State of Alarm. The goal is to slow down infection rates and reduce the peak in demand for ventilators.
    tmaybaconstangDogperson
  • Reply 27 of 63
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    JWSC said:
    sirozha said:
    echosonic said:

It’s not about how many people have died so far. It’s about the mortality rate and how easily and fast this virus spreads. If we allow half of the population to be infected this year, there will be millions of Americans dead from this virus by the end of 2020. 
    The mortality rate is not well understood.  Many will, or already have, contracted the virus with little in the way of symptoms. This makes the mortality rate appear much higher than it actually is because, for the most part, it is only those who fall very ill that get tested.
    The official number is that the US may have 1.7 million dead. By my own estimates as of 2 weeks ago, we may have 15 million dead before the vaccine is available. Either way, it’s a huge number. 
  • Reply 28 of 63
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    echosonic said:

The president declared it a National Emergency because is extremely serious.   You must be young and in shape to be so dismissive of this.
    dbreck
  • Reply 29 of 63
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    k2kw said:
    echosonic said:

The president declared it a National Emergency because is extremely serious.   You must be young and in shape to be so dismissive of this.
    Well I’m not young and, having seen previous outbreaks in past decades, I’m flabbergasted at why this is being handled so very differently.

I’m cognizant that this is serious and needs to be dealt with.  But government and businesses alike, instead of using a surgical knife are instead - and rather lazily - lopping off the arms and legs of the economy.  Whole industries - large sectors of the economy - are being crushed by the massive closures.  Many on this forum do much of their work via computer, which is nice for us.  We can work from home - no problem.  It ain’t so rosy for those whose jobs require them to be physically present.

While I’m not suggesting we do everything China did, we could have taken a cue from some of their actions, such as temperature screenings at places of work, public events and public buildings.  We could have set up temporary clinics to send people to be monitored.  Yes, that would be inconvenient for those wanting to get into a basketball game or hop on a plane. But it’s a hell of a lot more convenient than losing your job, which many millions are about to do - UNNECESSARILY.

This is a PUBLIC POLICY DISASTER.  I hope we learn from it because all of us, one way or another, are about to pay a heavy price.
    edited March 2020 ITGUYINSDmacxpressgregoriusm
  • Reply 30 of 63
    MacPro said:
    Dougie.S said:
    I can see why they’ve done this but my MacBook Pro is in for repair at one of their stores! Repair was completed Thursday but they damaged my logic board so had to replace that, now that means it is just going to be sitting there for 2 weeks?!
    Wonder what the plan is for repairs in progress?
    Fingers crossed they ship it to you.
    They’ve left me a voicemail, turns out at least at Meadowhall store, they’ve got the repair area still open until Monday. The store is closed for general public for now.
    Theyre shipping my logic board from Leeds, so I’m guessing their repair area is also open until Monday.

As I missed the call and cannot call back as phone lines are closed, even main Apple Support wasn’t able to call them, the process of collection is still unknown but it would be in person in store.
    Likely they’ll open doors for scheduled pickups only.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member
    This actually makes a lot of sense, both from a PR perspective as well as from an epidemiological one. From a PR perspective, one Apple employee already tested positive for COVID-19. What would the public perspective be if Apple employees were found to be spreading the virus? Beyond that, what do we do when we go to the Apple store? We pick up the latest iPhone or iPad, play with it and touch it. Since the COVID virus spreads via contact, Apple stores are prime vectors for spreading the virus. 

Then there are idiots like @echosonic Who prove exactly why the general public can’t be trusted.

muthuk_vanalingampscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hey all you numb nuts on both sides, how's about we split the difference between "overblown hype" and "we're all going to DIE!" Or are you all okay with descending into a dystopian hellscape of finger pointing?
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 33 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    JWSC said:
    k2kw said:
    echosonic said:

Well I’m not young and, having seen previous outbreaks in past decades, I’m flabbergasted at why this is being handled so very differently.

I’m cognizant that this is serious and needs to be dealt with.  But government and businesses alike, instead of using a surgical knife are instead - and rather lazily - lopping off the arms and legs of the economy.  Whole industries - large sectors of the economy - are being crushed by the massive closures.  Many on this forum do much of their work via computer, which is nice for us.  We can work from home - no problem.  It ain’t so rosy for those whose jobs require them to be physically present.

While I’m not suggesting we do everything China did, we could have taken a cue from some of their actions, such as temperature screenings at places of work, public events and public buildings.  We could have set up temporary clinics to send people to be monitored.  Yes, that would be inconvenient for those wanting to get into a basketball game or hop on a plane. But it’s a hell of a lot more convenient than losing your job, which many millions are about to do - UNNECESSARILY.

This is a PUBLIC POLICY DISASTER.  I hope we learn from it because all of us, one way or another, are about to pay a heavy price.
    Yeah, we learned that other countries success is based on testing individuals for the specific virus, quarantining them, and working really hard hat that so you don't miss anyone. We missed that window, so, here we are.

Flu season overlapping with the Coronavirus is certainly making it more difficult, since their are overlapping symptoms,
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 63
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    sirozha said:
    JWSC said:
    sirozha said:
    echosonic said:

It’s not about how many people have died so far. It’s about the mortality rate and how easily and fast this virus spreads. If we allow half of the population to be infected this year, there will be millions of Americans dead from this virus by the end of 2020. 
    The mortality rate is not well understood.  Many will, or already have, contracted the virus with little in the way of symptoms. This makes the mortality rate appear much higher than it actually is because, for the most part, it is only those who fall very ill that get tested.
    The official number is that the US may have 1.7 million dead. By my own estimates as of 2 weeks ago, we may have 15 million dead before the vaccine is available. Either way, it’s a huge number. 
    Would love to hear how you come upon these estimates.

Take a look at this:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Keep in mind many of these figures are in the very early stages when countries didn't do anything to stop the spread.  I can't fathom either the "official" estimates or your own estimates.  With awareness, the serious/fatal cases will definitely be lower.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    H1N1 in 2009 was much worse. Look it up if you've forgotten. It was 11 years ago, so most people don't bother to remember past events to understand the present. Apple didn't close any stores then, and they shouldn't have to now. About 1000 people had died in the US before Obama declared an emergency, and no one in the media or in the Republican Party criticized him for it. Trump shuts down flights from China in January, and then puts in motion a lot of other measures, and they can't stop complaining and politicizing. This. Will. Blow. Over. It's not that big of a deal. It's smart to take precautions, but this isn't any worse than a bad flu outbreak. And that brings me to another point. The flu infects and kills more people every year than corona virus has or likely will. Why don't we call flu a pandemic? Why don't we shut down flights and close Apple stores when the flu season starts? Some will disagree with me on this, but flame away all you want. I'm right. It's annoying how people forget what happened before. I didn't stop going to shopping malls, flying, or anything else after 9/11, and I will not allow this to make me live my life any different. I always practice good hygiene. When I'm at the gym I use hand sanitizer a lot. I just practice common sense.
    ITGUYINSDJWSC
  • Reply 36 of 63
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    gilly33 said:
    Full pay while off work. Good on Apple and Tim Cook. I know Tim has a lot of haters but this guy has heart. 
    Tim Cook has much more than heart. Tim Cook knows that when you are the Leader, or captain of the ship, you OWN everything and are responsible for everything. You own the credit and you own the blame. As the captain of the ship you cannot under any circumstances pass blame along to anyone, including your direct reports, underlings, or predecessors. If your ship is run aground by you or anyone under your command, if it’s on your watch, you own it. That’s what being the captain, the highest authority in your dominion, entails. Tim gets it, Tim owns it, and Tim realizes he is personally responsible for doing everything he can do to ensure the welfare of his employees and visitors in his stores.

You and I have have the freedom to personally decide whether we take precautions in response to what we feel is the actual threat based on the data and information we have and our personal perspectives. We get to roll the dice on ourselves. Tim Cook has obviously decided that he is not going to roll the dice on the welfare of any of his employees or visitors, no matter how small the threat. It’s his call, right or wrong, and he will take full responsibility for it and own the consequences. Whether you question Tim’s decision on this is a personal matter, but you have to respect his leadership.
    Dogpersontmaygregoriusmpscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 63
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 80member
    Dougie.S said:
    I can see why they’ve done this but my MacBook Pro is in for repair at one of their stores! Repair was completed Thursday but they damaged my logic board so had to replace that, now that means it is just going to be sitting there for 2 weeks?!
    Wonder what the plan is for repairs in progress?
    Call the store it is at. There is a good chance there are people there this weekend for just that reason. There will be very limited customer access. My assumption is it for online order pick up and repairs that are ready as well, and to prepare the store for being closed an extended period of time.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    echosonic said:

Has it ever occurred to you that the death toll is being held down because people who ACTUALLY know about diseases and ACTUALLY know what to do are doing the right thing? That this is a big issue and it is being handled in the best way possible? That perhapse these same people and organizations doing the right thing are WHY previous outbreaks were controlled?

But don't let me stop you on your cynical rant. I mean you've got a good thing going. If a lot of people die those in charge are incompetent, and if few do it was all hype. You've got all of your bases covered. I mean you COULD check out the World Health Organization or Center for Disease Control sites and learn what is actually going on. But hey, why let a little thing like the FACTS get in the way of your trolling.

Oh and for the record Measels killed 140,000 people in 2018. But you can thank anti-vaxxers for most of that.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50659893
    And for the record H1N1 is Swine Flu. The 2009-10 outbreak killed about half a million
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-h1n1-swine-flu-770496
    The 2014-16 Ebola outbreak killed around 11,000 people, a roughly 50% fatality rate, and only a lot of VERY hard work kept it from spreading outside of West Africa. 
    https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/history/2014-2016-outbreak/index.html

MplsP
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    markbyrn said:
    That's great but perhaps AI can inquire with Mr. Cook to find out if customers will be compensated should they have on-going repairs (or need repair) and Apple delays those repairs for the period of closure?  I'm also curious how Cook came up with this March 27th re-open date.   Hard to fathom how a mere 13 days is sufficient; even Disney theme parks are closed until the beginning of April.  Perhaps Cook has calculated the amount of time that the general public will become inoculated to the panic/hysteria.  
    The terms of service you agreed to don't allow for compensation in the event of a repair that takes too long. We'll ask, though, as we have many other questions.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    H1N1 in 2009 was much worse. Look it up if you've forgotten. It was 11 years ago, so most people don't bother to remember past events to understand the present. Apple didn't close any stores then, and they shouldn't have to now. About 1000 people had died in the US before Obama declared an emergency, and no one in the media or in the Republican Party criticized him for it. Trump shuts down flights from China in January, and then puts in motion a lot of other measures, and they can't stop complaining and politicizing. This. Will. Blow. Over. It's not that big of a deal. It's smart to take precautions, but this isn't any worse than a bad flu outbreak. And that brings me to another point. The flu infects and kills more people every year than corona virus has or likely will. Why don't we call flu a pandemic? Why don't we shut down flights and close Apple stores when the flu season starts? Some will disagree with me on this, but flame away all you want. I'm right. It's annoying how people forget what happened before. I didn't stop going to shopping malls, flying, or anything else after 9/11, and I will not allow this to make me live my life any different. I always practice good hygiene. When I'm at the gym I use hand sanitizer a lot. I just practice common sense.
    You fail.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics/fact-checking-trumps-claim-on-swine-flu-tests/index.html

The CDC's summary report of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic outlines how tests were administered at the time. The virus was first detected in the US on April 15. The CDC informed the World Health Organization about initial cases April 18. A test to detect this strain of swine flu was developed by the CDC and cleared for use 10 days later, on April 28, and the CDC began shipping tests across the US and around the world on May 1. 

Within the next four months, more than 1 million tests "were shipped to 120 domestic and 250 international laboratories in 140 countries," according to the CDC's report.

By May 18, 40 states were authorized to conduct their own 2009 H1N1 testing, with eight states having multiple laboratories that could process the tests, the report says.

Between April 12, 2009 and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates that the swine flu killed 12,469 people in the US.

The first case of coronavirus was confirmed in the US on January 20 of this year. As of Wednesday, almost two months later, 11,079 specimens had been tested in the US."

Yeah, it was bad, but the Obama Administration, unlike the current Administration, acted fast, and efficiently. There were no deaths before President Obama declared and emergency.
        edited March 2020 gregoriusmdewmeMacProStrangeDays