Apple plans to reopen some Apple Store locations in the first half of April

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    It seems a bit too early to make announcements like this, just my opinion.  There was just an article today in USA Today that said the CDC reported the virus stayed active on surfaces in cruise ships for up to 17 days.  If that is true,  such a thing is really significant in understanding how tough this can be to deal with.
    Probably why there was no announcement. The article is based on rumor and not anything Apple has said. 
    Actually if you read the FIRST sentence of this article you may learn otherwise. -  I quote from this article - Apple expects to reopen its brick-and-mortar retail outlets in the first half of April, retail and people chief Deirdre O'Brien told staffers on Tuesday."   Did you not read the article ?
    That's still a rumor, unless there's a link to an official statement by Apple or even a tweet by Deirdre O'Brien making this claim. As it stands with the content given it's AI reporting on what someone said they heard Deirdre O'Brien state to staffers. Who knows how whether AI's source was one of these staffers or through multiple people where the information could've bene distorted.

Even if this came from Deirdre O'Brien herself there's still not solid to point to regarding whether Apple is planning to reopen during that 15 day period or if they're simply hoping to be able to. For all we know, Apple may decide that Best Buy has the right idea with letting people purchase online or in the app for in-store pickups which they will start next week, which would technically be stores re-opening even if in a very different very isolated way as we're used to.

That's why your first impression of "It seems a bit too early to make announcements like this" is spot on. There are simply too many variables that can change dramatically day-to-day that we Apple can't possibly be able to make announcements. At best, there are some hopeful employees wishing for the best, but that's an expected aspect of human nature.
    edited March 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 47
    bulk001 said:
    @sacto joe I appreciate the thoughtful post. And while we are all in this together on one side we have some who even when they know they are sick running around and potentially infecting others and in the other we have people who are acting like we are all going to die. There is room for a balance between these extremes. If you are vulnerable stay isolated. If you are sick stay isolated. Practice basic hygiene. Keep a little more distance. Don’t go to nursing homes, don’t hug your grand kids. Etc. I am glad Apple is looking to open stores as soon as sometime in the first half of April. You don’t like it? Just don’t go to an Apple store! Stay home. But please don’t decide what is best for me. 
    Everyone cherishes their freedom. I personally want folks to have the maximum freedom possible. But like the old saying, your right to swing a fist stops at the tip of my nose. Nobody should have the freedom to endanger another.

“... in the other we have people who are acting like we are all going to die.” A LOT of people are going to die, here and around the world. It’s going to be horrible. Period. It’s all about keeping it from being far worse.

The optics of Apple saying this right now are stunningly bad. It is harmful to the universal cause. And I say that as one who has often been accused of being an Apple apologist. Literally nobody, least of all this Apple VP, has any factual idea of when Apple can ”open stores”, because nobody knows who and where all the sick people are. No one can guarantee that, by going out, they won’t end up spreading death behind them. If someone is fine with that, it literally defines them as socially irresponsible. Or thoughtless to a degree that’s hard to fathom.

Going out should have ones heart in ones throat with trepidation. And it should be the absolute minimum necessary, with every protection one has available, not for the individual going out, but for those whose paths that individual will cross.
    montrosemacs
  • Reply 23 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sacto joe said:

The optics of Apple saying this right now are stunningly bad.
    Then it can't be stressed enough that nothing has been stated by Apple at this point, and I doubt there will until there's a considerably more cut and dry date with detailed specifics of what services will be offered (e.g.: there will no floor models) with probably only no more than a few days notice of stores reopening.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    This was not a public announcement. 
    Apple has remained silent since the announcement of closure of their retail stores outside of China and then re-wording the approximate date of re-opening from March 27th to no firm date. 

Deidre’s note was for employees to understand that Apple is still working very hard to figure out a way to re-open some stores and will do it safely and not because business demands it. 

The pertinent statement about retail was this:

“For all of our Retail stores outside of Greater China, we will reopen our stores on a staggered basis. At this time, we anticipate some stores may be able to open in the first half of April depending on the conditions in their community. We will provide updates for each store as soon as specific dates are established. We can’t wait to welcome our teams and customers back. 

COVID-19 affects every community and every team differently, so moving forward, our teams will get new updates from their local leaders. Around the world, we’re putting the health of our teams, customers and communities first.”
    gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 47
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 745member
    @sacrojoe (@soli you will be ignored) If those who are most vulnerable would isolate themselves the death rate would be significantly lower. Not everyone has to do this. 

Your comments also highlight something else - if it is as terrible as you say then there should be no essential worker to provide alcohol and weed in Colorado. All medical works should stay home (after all their lives are just as important as yours), what about the people who grow our food, stack our store shelves, deliver our orders, get gas to gas stations? Shouldn’t they also isolate and let you just fend for yourself. As long as you are not inconvenienced it is okay? 

Yes a lot of people will die. A lot die from the flu. But we don’t shut down the country for that (it almost doesn’t even get any attention in previous years where 15, 30 or 60 thousand people die without you giving them a single thought - full breakdown of hospitalizations and deaths from flu can be found at https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year). Are their lives any less important? Shouldn’t we have shut down the country for them too? 

So not only is there a lot of needless paranoia and fear but also a lot of hypocrisy in the “concern” expressed by some. 
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 26 of 47
    bulk001 said:
    To all the haters and or / paranoid, if you don’t want to go out, don’t. Especially if there is a high incident rate near you or you fall into a vulnerable population. Evidently though Apple sees that it is unnecessary to close all stores indefinitely and they have been one of the leaders in closing and so trust that they know what they are doing in looking to start opening some stores too. To those who have to work for a living a sensible approach to letting them do so is welcome news to me. @monteo - you, your wife and your teenage daughters don’t have to go to the Apple store (in fact, what are they doing outdoors at all if that is your attitude? Why not take responsibility for yourself and others can make their own decisions?). @techno, this is not the Spanish flu so less hyperventilating and more grip on reality? @themonk I actually work for a living, not taking unnecessary risk at spring break but also not hiding out in fear when sensible precautions can be taken (as evidenced by the fact that Apple is willing to open some stores) and @fastasleep well your name pretty much says it all, right? But thanks for calling me a genius! 
    "... others can make their own decisions." Dude, if you're not worried, you're not paying attention. Have at it (or not).  
  • Reply 27 of 47
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 745member
    bulk001 said:
    To all the haters and or / paranoid, if you don’t want to go out, don’t. Especially if there is a high incident rate near you or you fall into a vulnerable population. Evidently though Apple sees that it is unnecessary to close all stores indefinitely and they have been one of the leaders in closing and so trust that they know what they are doing in looking to start opening some stores too. To those who have to work for a living a sensible approach to letting them do so is welcome news to me. @monteo - you, your wife and your teenage daughters don’t have to go to the Apple store (in fact, what are they doing outdoors at all if that is your attitude? Why not take responsibility for yourself and others can make their own decisions?). @techno, this is not the Spanish flu so less hyperventilating and more grip on reality? @themonk I actually work for a living, not taking unnecessary risk at spring break but also not hiding out in fear when sensible precautions can be taken (as evidenced by the fact that Apple is willing to open some stores) and @fastasleep well your name pretty much says it all, right? But thanks for calling me a genius! 
    "... others can make their own decisions." Dude, if you're not worried, you're not paying attention. Have at it (or not).  
    Where would you like me to send the tinfoil and diapers? I am not in a high risk group and have no symptoms. I take care of myself and practice basic hygiene. If I were to become ill I would isolate. If I am an asymptomatic carrier and you are at risk then you should not be out and about and could get sick. In that case do not go out till it is safe to do so. I go shopping for an elderly parent. I do not touch them, I wipe down what I buy for them with Clorox wipes and we FaceTime. These are common sense measures. None of us have died (yet! But apparently will soon).
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,815administrator
    M68000 said:
    It seems a bit too early to make announcements like this, just my opinion.  There was just an article today in USA Today that said the CDC reported the virus stayed active on surfaces in cruise ships for up to 17 days.  If that is true,  such a thing is really significant in understanding how tough this can be to deal with.
    Probably why there was no announcement. The article is based on rumor and not anything Apple has said. 
    Nope. We've since seen the memo.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,394member
    bulk001 said:
    @fastasleep well your name pretty much says it all, right? But thanks for calling me a genius! 
    Sick burn. Just pointing out that none of this is "insanity" — it's all meant to save lives. Nobody is saying you can't do the things you mentioned you are doing, or that others can't do similar, or that Apple can't reopen stores. I am just bewildered at people who think this is all bullshit when we're likely to see hundreds of thousands (at minimum) if not millions dead worldwide when this is all over. People here in Seattle were crowding beaches and parks and not taking any of the responsible measures that you mention, so excuse me if I lumped your initial hyperbole with those types of people. Those people are literally going to lead to more deaths here. Sounds like you're more sensible than that.

Yes a lot of people will die. A lot die from the flu. But we don’t shut down the country for that (it almost doesn’t even get any attention in previous years where 15, 30 or 60 thousand people die without you giving them a single thought 
    Or maybe not. We're looking at far, far more deaths than the seasonal flu unless drastic measures are taken, and even then I think it's gonna clear those numbers easily. Want to revisit this thread after this virus has had a chance to finish its world tour?
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 30 of 47
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    I'm sure you're invincible. From today's LA Times (where I reside): It’s not just older people who are getting sick. Of those who have tested positive in Los Angeles County, for example, 80% are people ages 18 to 65, and 42% are in the 18-40 age group. As confirmed cases surpass 660, Los Angeles County on Tuesday confirmed four more deaths linked to the coronavirus, including the first of a person under the age of 18. 
    So, who again is insane? Totally worth it to lose your life (or infect me, or my wife, or teenage daughters) for the freedom to wander into a store to purchase an Apple Pencil or Watch. /s
    You’re not being forced to go to Apple....like when i have flu, I stayed in my room before I do my thing outside.....so if you’re sick, what the heck are you doing in Apple store??
  • Reply 31 of 47
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    bulk001 said:
    @sacrojoe (@soli you will be ignored) If those who are most vulnerable would isolate themselves the death rate would be significantly lower. Not everyone has to do this. 

Your comments also highlight something else - if it is as terrible as you say then there should be no essential worker to provide alcohol and weed in Colorado. All medical works should stay home (after all their lives are just as important as yours), what about the people who grow our food, stack our store shelves, deliver our orders, get gas to gas stations? Shouldn’t they also isolate and let you just fend for yourself. As long as you are not inconvenienced it is okay? 

Yes a lot of people will die. A lot die from the flu. But we don’t shut down the country for that (it almost doesn’t even get any attention in previous years where 15, 30 or 60 thousand people die without you giving them a single thought - full breakdown of hospitalizations and deaths from flu can be found at https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year). Are their lives any less important? Shouldn’t we have shut down the country for them too? 

So not only is there a lot of needless paranoia and fear but also a lot of hypocrisy in the “concern” expressed by some. 
    Very nice, thanks for that analogy.....
  • Reply 32 of 47
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Actually if you read the FIRST sentence of this article you may learn otherwise. -  I quote from this article - Apple expects to reopen its brick-and-mortar retail outlets in the first half of April, retail and people chief Deirdre O'Brien told staffers on Tuesday."   Did you not read the article ?
    I read the article. Neither the first sentence nor the remainder of the article have a public comment or announcement. I assume Apple has internal planning for the iPhone 12 as well but wouldn’t say that that product has been “announced”. 
  • Reply 33 of 47
    M68000 said:
    The article cites another news source and has no first had account of what is in said memo. But sloppy reporting aside, what baring does this have on my comment? There has been no public announcement from Apple. And while there may very well may be a memo out there it is a snap shot in time. Reporting based on plans that may have changed is speculation at best. 
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 34 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    bulk001 said:
    All companies led by a responsible board are going to follow guidelines. GameStop, for example, is an exception. But they’re going out of business at some time, and they see this as bringing the end nearer.

but Apple has over $100 billion in the bank, and their business is just fine, so they can afford to close down for a time. They have the online stores, and people, such as myself are using them. I bought the new iPad that way the other day.

but making it out as though they’re following Trumps whining to open stores and get things out of isolation is BS. People who are calling for that are nuts!
  • Reply 35 of 47
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    bulk001 said:
    It takes Apple to stand up to the insanity! Thank you Tim Cook. Obviously if you are in a high risk group or area then you need to isolate yourself but the rest can get back to a slightly less restrictive life. 
    The highest risk group is the group that have the virus and don’t know it. This has been widely reported the biggest issue. Second biggest issue is there is no vaccine. Example: A person goes to an Apple store in mid April, comes in contact with the virus and becomes infected. Five days later they go to the grocery store where I am also shopping. I am in the risk group of over 60. Because of their presence I get the virus and the reason being is they went to the Apple store. Nobody has to go to an Apple store, they can buy online. Apple products are not perishable like food is. I have to go to the grocery store to live, so please don’t increase the risk of spreading the virus without a very good reason.

Actually Idiot45 said like a miracle it is going to disappear in April. Maybe Cook has inside information. /s
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 36 of 47
    M68000 said:
    Unclear why my comment was delated for pointing out that out some mundane facts. Even stranger that there is a person promoting dangerous and irresponsible. Perhaps the comments should be policed by published standards rather than ego?
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 37 of 47
    M68000 said:
    Unclear why my comment was delated for pointing out that out some mundane facts. Even stranger that there is a person promoting dangerous and irresponsible. Perhaps the comments should be policed by published standards rather than ego?
    Which comment?

Edit: looking at the moderation history of this thread, there was only one comment deleted, and it was some conspiracy theory nonsense that you didn't post. So, I'm still confused.

Furthermore, in response to your comment back to me, news you do not personally like does not make it bad reporting, nor does it make it false. The memo was written yesterday, and so was the news article. The article isn't, and wasn't, based on rumor, and is absolutely something Apple has said to its staff. As to what actually happens, we'll all see with time.

If we were strictly following the published standards, the bogus allegations of bad reporting in your response to me would be enough for a deletion.
    edited March 2020 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 47
    M68000 said:
    Which comment?

Edit: looking at the moderation history of this thread, there was only one comment deleted, and it was some conspiracy theory nonsense that you didn't post. So, I'm still confused.

Furthermore, in response to your comment back to me, news you do not personally like does not make it bad reporting, nor does it make it false. The memo was written yesterday, and so was the news article. The article isn't, and wasn't, based on rumor, and is absolutely something Apple has said to its staff. As to what actually happens, we'll all see with time.

If we were strictly following the published standards, the bogus allegations of bad reporting in your response to me would be enough for a deletion.
    It isn't about like or disliking news. The article as written had no primary source. Further the article used as a source had no direct quotes from its primary sources. So, we can quibble if the word rumor was the most precise word but the fact is the article as written had no first hand source. When I pointed out that to someone that there wasn't a public announcement and the article was based on no first hand knowledge you chimed in with the inexplicably condescending "Nope." comment. It was an odd choice on your part as a reader would have no way of knowing that AI had since gotten the memo. The article has not update to say that the memo has since been validated first hand. The lack of update to the article had been validated and was no longer relying on another news article is bad journalism. If I may quote you, that you personally don't like that doesn't make it false. What is even more bizarre is how you got defensive over me pointing out that the article wasn't directly sourced and are seemingly wanting to double down on that with the threat. I get that no one enjoys criticism but what I am pointing is valid from a journalistic standpoint. 

As for the comment. It disappeared earlier today is back. That lead me to the conclusion erroneous conclusion that it had been moderated. I apologize for assuming intent for what appears to be a technical hiccup. That was my bad. 

• Reply 39 of 47
    M68000 said:
    Which comment?

It isn't about like or disliking news. The article as written had no primary source. Further the article used as a source had no direct quotes from its primary sources. So, we can quibble if the word rumor was the most precise word but the fact is the article as written had no first hand source. When I pointed out that to someone that there wasn't a public announcement and the article was based on no first hand knowledge you chimed in with the inexplicably condescending "Nope." comment. It was an odd choice on your part as a reader would have no way of knowing that AI had since gotten the memo. The article has not update to say that the memo has since been validated first hand. The lack of update to the article had been validated and was no longer relying on another news article is bad journalism. If I may quote you, that you personally don't like that doesn't make it false. What is even more bizarre is how you got defensive over me pointing out that the article wasn't directly sourced and are seemingly wanting to double down on that with the threat. I get that no one enjoys criticism but what I am pointing is valid from a journalistic standpoint. 

As for the comment. It disappeared earlier today is back. That lead me to the conclusion erroneous conclusion that it had been moderated. I apologize for assuming intent for what appears to be a technical hiccup. That was my bad. 
    As with your previous criticism of our work, you may believe what you want, of course. I'm not sure where you get "defensive" because this is not that, nor was my original comment, and there is no threat. You seem pretty reasonable overall, so you should be aware that there is always a lot of validation and confirmation of stories and sources behind the scenes before publication, and detailing what we've done to authenticate before publication is tedious and unnecessary.

I appreciate the apology on the moderation thing, though.

If you wish to further discuss it, my direct messages remain open.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 40 of 47
    bulk001 said:

Faulty logic, bulk. "Essential" means exactly what it says. Are you an essential worker? If so, you're actually duty bound to take your chances, but also duty bound to try your damndest not to catch the virus. Catching it both increases the chances you'll pass it on and increases the demand on the health care system.

By definition, essential workers are workers required to keep the numbers of dead down. Your argument fails on that basis alone.

I know you'd really like to defend your original statement from the basis of logic. But it's looking more and more like you just don't want to admit you were wrong.
    Solifastasleep