Apple sources 20M face masks, designs and ships face shields for medical workers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has sourced over 20 million face masks it aims to donate to governments to fight the spread of COVID-19, with the iPhone maker also working on designing and producing face shields for use by front-line medical workers.

Taking to Twitter on Sunday, Apple CEO Tim Cook offered a pair of updates to his followers on Apple's attempts to help combat the coronavirus pandemic. The updates revolve around face masks and face shields, vital tools in protecting medical teams from infection and in preventing the spread of the virus.

In the two minute video, Cook advises Apple has managed to "source through our supply chain" over 20 million face masks around the world. "This is a truly global effort and we're working continuously and closely with governments at all levels, to ensure these are donated to places of the greatest need," the CEO explained.

Apple is dedicated to supporting the worldwide response to COVID-19. We've now sourced over 20M masks through our supply chain. Our design, engineering, operations and packaging teams are also working with suppliers to design, produce and ship face shields for medical workers. pic.twitter.com/3xRqNgMThX

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

A second effort involves a "company-wide effort" involving product designers, engineering operations, packaging teams, and suppliers for the design and production of face shields. Rather than being a fabric covering for the mouth, the face shield covers the entire face with a clear plastic panel.

Apple has already delivered its first shipment of the face shields to Kaiser hospital facilities in the Santa Clara Valley in the last week, and has already received "positive" feedback from doctors, according to Cook. "These pack flat. 100 per box," Cook told the camera. "Each shield is assembled in less than two minutes and is fully adjustable. We're sourcing materials and manufacturing in the US and China."

Apple plans to ship over a million of the face shields by the end of the week, and then to continue with similar levels or higher shipments in the following weeks. Apple is working with medical professional sand government officials across the US to determine where the shields are most needed, and is looking to expand distribution beyond the United States soon.

"For Apple this is a labor of love and gratitude, and we'll share more of our efforts over time," Cook continued. "In the meantime each of us can stop the spread of the virus by following expert advice to stay home, and practice social distancing."

Cook ends the video thanking viewers for "all you're doing to help in your own life," then thanking those "on the front line of this fight," before urging those watching to "stay safe and stay healthy."

The mask effort is the latest in a number of initiatives Apple has undertaken to do its part to combat the coronavirus outbreak. The company has offered donations to a number of organizations, and revealed on March 24 it had donated over 9 million masks to US health facilities, and more to other parts of the world.
abideworldwideStrangeDays

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member
    This is amazing. Go Tim and Co. go!
    gregoriusmdewmeGeorgeBMacstanthemanBeatscaladanianStrangeDayslkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 114
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Good job, and keep going.

My amateur projections saying the number of infected will quadruple over the next 2 week (in the USA).  Worldwide I don’t have a clue... most of South America, Africa, and Asia (outside of China) is relatively untouched.  If our medical system is already strained... there’s going to be bodies piling up in the streets elsewhere.

I really hope I’m wrong.
    gregoriusmtekfranzAnilu_777
  • Reply 3 of 114
    XedXed Posts: 2,507member
    I wonder if anyone will look a Apple's face shield design and sue them. I wouldn't be surprised since most of these lawsuit seem to come from the unscrupulous.
    MisterKitlkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 114
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    I read someone was adapting CPAP machines (continuous positive airway pressure) as ventilators.  I wonder if Apple might be able to design a basic ventilator that connects to an iPad as the controller.  For those who don’t need full intubation. 
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 5 of 114
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 435member

My amateur projections saying the number of infected will quadruple over the next 2 week (in the USA)...

I really hope I’m wrong.
    You may be right and of course that would be very bad, but we as a country desperately need perspective. As of now, if the coronavirus deaths quadruple they will still be less than projected deaths for the flu. It also very likely that the death rate is strongly skewed toward a higher death rate since those who are suffering are mainly the ones being tested.

I only say these things because our panic and overreactions to the coronavirus is causing more problems than the virus itself. We need to take it seriously, but we need to have perspective and patience.

And we also need self discipline—if people were acting responsibly this outbreak would already be under control, and we’d also not be perpetually out of foods and supplies and greedy losers charging $40 for a 16oz bottle of ‘Equate’ (Walmart brand) isopropyl alcohol on eBay.
    steven n.williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 114
    XedXed Posts: 2,507member
    I read someone was adapting CPAP machines (continuous positive airway pressure) as ventilators.  I wonder if Apple might be able to design a basic ventilator that connects to an iPad as the controller.  For those who don’t need full intubation. 
    You can make ventilators that are a basic pump with a homemade mechanism to press and release the bellows.

https://in.mashable.com/tech/12853/engineers-built-a-homemade-ventilator-that-can-serve-as-last-resort-for-people-in-need
    radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 114
    Good job, Apple. It seems like the government should be able to round up the masks directly but Apple has a vast network of industrial contacts they can tap into.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 8 of 114
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    georgie01 said:

My amateur projections saying the number of infected will quadruple over the next 2 week (in the USA)...

I really hope I’m wrong.
    You may be right and of course that would be very bad, but we as a country desperately need perspective. As of now, if the coronavirus deaths quadruple they will still be less than projected deaths for the flu. It also very likely that the death rate is strongly skewed toward a higher death rate since those who are suffering are mainly the ones being tested.

I only say these things because our panic and overreactions to the coronavirus is causing more problems than the virus itself. We need to take it seriously, but we need to have perspective and patience.

Point 1. Anyone who suspects they may have is being tested, not just “those who are suffering”.

Point 2. You cant base “overreacting” to what the numbers show NOW. This isn’t about NOW, its about preparing for what might come, if you dont do anything NOW. This ignorance is EXACTLY why the US has sharply risen in the passed week - no one took it seriously when they SHOULD have - long before it became a problem. With an epidemic you have to fix it before it begins, otherwise its too late.

Point 3. “If the deaths quadruple” ... We havent even started with the body counts yet. The US is going to surge and surpass all other countries combined due to the lack of national leadership and management. 
    edited April 2020 tekfranzflyingdpthttmayrandominternetpersonminicoffeeronnwillettradarthekatdarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 114
    The first wave of cases will give us good data. Then there will probably be a second and third wave. Then a resurgence. So we have a little optimism now Social Distancing is working. But we won’t know for at least two weeks. We need to prepare for what will be 2 weeks from now not what we see today. Preparing for the unknown is expensive but necessary. 

The flu analogy has a couple weak points:
    -First a patient can get the flu and also COVID-19. So it becomes an additional virus. It’s like Flu + Coronavirus not Flu or Coronavirus. Two sicknesses  add to the workload of Health Care Workers.
    -COVID-19 symptoms are nasty. A young person can get hit hard and may survive but the elderly not so much. Then in a complex twist there are the asymptomatic carriers.

As for the financial impacts those are real. I think an exit strategy will need to be carefully planned. Which industries return to work? Which areas? Safety precautions. I think these details could all be worked out.

Worldwide it would be nice if two things would happen:
    -A Moratorium on lawsuits regarding Coronavirus equipment should be enacted. New ideas should not penalized.
    - And an international agreement to collectively reduce the financial burden of this disease. I am thinking of all the countries go into debt 2 trillion, they could forgive each other the debt. I am not an economist but maybe there is some mechanism this could be accomplished.

Thanks Apple for your hard work on this.
    edited April 2020 steven n.Anilu_777
  • Reply 10 of 114
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    mjtomlin said:
    georgie01 said:

I really hope I’m wrong.

Point 1. Anyone who suspects they may have is being tested, not just “those who are suffering”.

Point 2. You cant base “overreacting” to what the numbers show NOW. This isn’t about NOW, its about preparing for what might come, if you dont do anything NOW. This ignorance is EXACTLY why the US has sharply risen in the passed week - no one took it seriously when they SHOULD have - long before it became a problem. With an epidemic you have to fix it before it begins, otherwise its too late.

Point 3. “If the deaths quadruple” ... We havent even started with the body counts yet. The US is going to surge and surpass all other countries combined due to the lack of national leadership and management. 
    Point 2 is true to people overreacting. The mass hoarding of toilet paper is a perfect example. Likewise, I’m betting 80% of the beans, pasta and rice hoarded by people will go to waste and never be used. To me, that is overreacting. 

Point 3 is a blatant lie. Period. The US was one of the earliest countries outside China infected and your lie of "lack of national leadership" can be shown as the lie it is by seeing how fast travel from China and Europe was curtailed (When compared to most western democracies). Many states, like CA and WA were quick to shut down while others, like NY were mind-numbingly slow to do things like shut down the Subway. As always, the STATES And local governments are the first line of defense because Wyoming (Currently at 0 deaths/million) is NOT New Jersey (103 Deaths/million) and Sublette Kansas is Not the Bronx NY. Each region is unique and requires unique handling.

Likewise, your statement of "The US is going to surge and surpass all other countries combined" can be nothing but a sick twisted hopefulness on your part because it is not, at all, backed up by numbers. Given the growth rate in the US is clearly at its inflection point there is little reason to think our death rate of 29/million will come anywhere close to countries like Italy (263/million), Spain (270/million), Belgium (125/million), France (124/million), UK (73/million) or even Switzerland (83/million). Germany (19/million) is the one true bright spot and has done a great job of dealing with the outbreak. They were able to get testing rolled out fast and did great on early detection. 
    gatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 114
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 40member
    georgie01 said:

I really hope I’m wrong.

And we also need self discipline—if people were acting responsibly this outbreak would already be under control, and we’d also not be perpetually out of foods and supplies and greedy losers charging $40 for a 16oz bottle of ‘Equate’ (Walmart brand) isopropyl alcohol on eBay.
    It's not like the flu has gone away. These deaths are in addition to flu fatalities, and hospitals opperate at near-capacity at the best of times. COVID-19 deaths will also be concentrated over a much shorter period. If they equal flu deaths it will have been over 2-3 months, not spread out over a year. And once again, this is on top of flu deaths.

edited April 2020 flyingdpElCapitanwilliamlondonGeorgeBMacwillettdarkvader
  • Reply 12 of 114
    georgie01 said:

I really hope I’m wrong.

Comparing COVID-19 to the flu is ignorant and dangerous. There are 330 million people in the US. As of yesterday, 311 million people in at least 41 states, three counties, eight cities, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are being urged to stay home, with the majority complying. When was the last time this country sheltered in place for the flu? Had this not been done, instead of 100,000 people dying in this country, current projections clearly demonstrate over a million could die. This is not the flu. Hospitals in NY and NJ have refrigerated semis filling with bodies, not enough PPE, and shortages of ventilators. At some, 1/3rd of the doctors and nurses are now sick themselves due to the extreme contagiousness of COVID-19. When was the last time these things happened for the flu? Please don't compare the coronavirus to the flu. They are so different.
    Anilu_777GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersonStrangeDaysronnradarthekatdarkvadertht
  • Reply 13 of 114
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

I really hope I’m wrong.

Take a look at the logarithmic version of the "Total Coronavirus Deaths in the US" graph at Worldometer.  This is the only unambiguous graph, because it doesn't depend on how much testing is being done.  Deaths in the US are currently going up by a factor of 10 every 10 days, and this won't come down much until the whole country takes this seriously and locks down, to starve the virus of victims.  The White House says that we can keep the number of deaths down to between 100,000 and 240,000 if everyone observes the social distancing restrictions.  Extending a straight line on a graph, I think we'll be at 100,000 deaths ten days from now. 

Some people are still saying we should ignore the virus to save the economy.  But this won't work because nothing is going to get most of the country to come out of hiding until this rapidly growing fire is under control. In fact, if we all just stayed six feet apart for two weeks, the fire would go out for lack of new fuel.

South Korea and the US both reported their first cases on the same day.  South Korea immediately took it seriously and did several orders of magnitude more testing than us, and got it under control without shutting down the country.  We treated it mainly as a PR problem and announced the border was closed with China, but it was already too late to have much effect and we didn't actually close the border or do much testing, or really much else for quite awhile, and now our deaths are rising faster than any other developed country. 

At the time I'm writing this, the headline numbers at Worldometer for the US are 9,618 deaths and 17,977 recovered, which is about a 35% death rate for cases that have been admitted to hospitals. This method of estimating fatality was accurate for the SARS epidemic in 2003.
    edited April 2020 GeorgeBMacronn
  • Reply 14 of 114
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    If these are not masks that Apple somehow magically have come up with independently of all other sources, Apple should get out of the queue of HC institutions and countries across the planet desperately clamoring for such masks on the global market.
    20 million masks to Apple means some others needy in another country probably would go short of masks. (that is how brutal the global market for masks is right now)

Having the masks on hand, Apple should donate the masks to the US federal pooled resources so they can be distributed to those needing them most, and get out of the business of virtue signaling.
    edited April 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 114
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Do NOT use Zoom for conference calls for any reason (the CEO is Chinese and ‘borrowed’ the technology from his days working at WebEx). Zoom routes traffic through Chinese state owned servers, scans for technical content and steals it. Their marketing states that Zoom connects with end to end encryption - an outright lie. The software client skirts the protected install process to compromise the host computer. ZOOM is giving away the service for free, taking advantage of the COVID epidemic, so they can access data from key universities and companies. China will become a stronger nation because of Zoom, the CEO a national hero. Please spread the word!
    darkvader
  • Reply 16 of 114
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    steven n. said:
    mjtomlin said:
    georgie01 said:

I really hope I’m wrong.

Point 2 is true to people overreacting. The mass hoarding of toilet paper is a perfect example. Likewise, I’m betting 80% of the beans, pasta and rice hoarded by people will go to waste and never be used. To me, that is overreacting. 

Point 3 is a blatant lie. Period. The US was one of the earliest countries outside China infected and your lie of "lack of national leadership" can be shown as the lie it is by seeing how fast travel from China and Europe was curtailed (When compared to most western democracies). Many states, like CA and WA were quick to shut down while others, like NY were mind-numbingly slow to do things like shut down the Subway. As always, the STATES And local governments are the first line of defense because Wyoming (Currently at 0 deaths/million) is NOT New Jersey (103 Deaths/million) and Sublette Kansas is Not the Bronx NY. Each region is unique and requires unique handling.

Likewise, your statement of "The US is going to surge and surpass all other countries combined" can be nothing but a sick twisted hopefulness on your part because it is not, at all, backed up by numbers. Given the growth rate in the US is clearly at its inflection point there is little reason to think our death rate of 29/million will come anywhere close to countries like Italy (263/million), Spain (270/million), Belgium (125/million), France (124/million), UK (73/million) or even Switzerland (83/million). Germany (19/million) is the one true bright spot and has done a great job of dealing with the outbreak. They were able to get testing rolled out fast and did great on early detection. 

LOL...  Our racist in chief only curtailed travel by Chinese, not travel from China -- and it took him almost a full month to do even that little tidbit.   So as thousands surged back into the U.S. the virus began to spread throughout our communities.   But, despite months of warnings, since we had not prepared in any way shape of form, we had no way of knowing where the virus was spreading or how quickly -- until people began to sicken and die.

And, while your level of denial is admirable, with over 300,000 infected and almost 10,000 dead, the U.S. already leads the world.  Trump has finally made us #1 again!  Are you happy?

Meanwhile, the total lack of preparation continues unabated because, in addition to the shortages in the healthcare system:
    1)  We have no community wide testing programs.
    2)  We have no contact tracing programs
    3)  We have no protective gear for the community --- you simply cannot buy masks, gloves or antiseptic wipes and solutions.

So, the flood of infected will continue to overwhelm our healthcare systems and the death toll will continue to climb because all we are doing is mopping the floor without turning off the tap.  And it's not that we don't know how to turn off that tap.   Korea did it.   And so did China -- who is now going out worldwide with supplies and know-how teaching other countries how to identify and contain the virus.  But here all we have is an abject, total, complete failure of national leadership who are more concerned with the stock market and the next election than American lives.

With the deaths of almost 10,000 Americans on his hands, Trump should resign in disgrace.
    edited April 2020 zroger73ronnradarthekatdarkvader
  • Reply 17 of 114
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ElCapitan said:
    If these are not masks that Apple somehow magically have come up with independently of all other sources, Apple should get out of the queue of HC institutions and countries across the planet desperately clamoring for such masks on the global market.
    20 million masks to Apple means some others needy in another country probably would go short of masks. (that is how brutal the global market for masks is right now)

Having the masks on hand, Apple should donate the masks to the US federal pooled resources so they can be distributed to those needing them most, and get out of the business of virtue signaling.

Apple didn't find these face shields, they designed them and manufactured them.

And, giving them to U.S. federal pools would be a waste since those pools are being so badly mismanaged.  They do not, for instance, distribute desperately needed ventilators where they are needed.  Instead they give them to for-profit distributors who then sell them to the highest bidder - with all 50 states bidding for them!   The only question is:  WHO is getting rich off of this scheme?  It's likely a complicated financial scheme so that

It's a shame that the total lack of national leadership forces individuals and individual companies to design, manufacture and distribute much needed supplies and equipment by themselves on their own -- while Americans sit home and sew face masks!   MAGA!
    dewmeronnradarthekatdarkvader
  • Reply 18 of 114
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    ElCapitan said:

Apple didn't find these face shields, they designed them and manufactured them.

And, giving them to U.S. federal pools would be a waste since those pools are being so badly mismanaged.  They do not, for instance, distribute desperately needed ventilators where they are needed.  Instead they give them to for-profit distributors who then sell them to the highest bidder - with all 50 states bidding for them!   The only question is:  WHO is getting rich off of this scheme?  It's likely a complicated financial scheme so that

It's a shame that the total lack of national leadership forces individuals and individual companies to design, manufacture and distribute much needed supplies and equipment by themselves on their own -- while Americans sit home and sew face masks!   MAGA!
    Read the article:

Apple has sourced over 20 million face masks it aims to donate to governments to fight the spread of COVID-19, with the iPhone maker also working on designing and producing face shields for use by front-line medical workers. 

So the shields they produce have nothing to do with the masks sourced. – My criticism is the sourcing of masks essentially used for virtue signaling, placing themselves in the front of the queue of others that need them better across the planet. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 19 of 114
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ElCapitan said:

Right, so you didn't actually watch the video or read the article; fair enough, I know clicking through is tricky for some people.

As well as the procurement of masks, Cook also mentioned that Apple design engineers have created a new mask that is faster to manufacture, is easier to ship in bulk, and can be assembled in minutes. That was actually clearly stated in the article.

The rest of your post is made up of the usual 'maybes' and 'probablys' so you clearly don't have the information on how Apple is procuring the masks. 

One thing that these companies can do better than hospitals, individual trusts and one or two governments run by incompetent nincompoops who claim to be top-notch wheeler-dealers, is negotiate better prices when buying by the million, which health trusts cannot do, and the companies that run hospitals would rather not do. Because believe it or not, the prices on these vital items have rocketed since the virus broke. That's what happens when the market is allowed to run free; you need experienced companies run by people like Cook, who know how to bleed the most out of the supply chain.
    randominternetpersonGeorgeBMacStrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 20 of 114
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    ElCapitan said:

Last thing Apple should do is give these masks to Jared to hoard.   They should give 80% of them directly to the states the states being hit hard now and then the rest to remaining states.
    dewmedavenGeorgeBMacronn