Apple unveils new iPhone SE priced at just $399

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    I don’t understand apples reluctance to change the look of its products. It’s carrying the craftsmanship mantra too far. Imagine a car model that stays the same design over several generations with just upgrades to engines and batteries. 
  • Reply 122 of 138
    ne4now76 said:
    This is the probably Best phone available at this price point but I WANT A SMALLER PHONE!
    Really miss the 5S/SE sized phone and I know I'm not alone. 
    A full screen device with roughly the same dimensions of the 5S/SE would be perfect. 

You’re kidding right? This is the best phone at this price point if you wanna get an Apple phone no matter. You can get an android for half the price with better screen and camera with a bezel-less design. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 123 of 138
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    M68000 said:
    MisterKit said:
    My humble 6s still does everything I need.
    That may be, but the 8 or this new SE blow away the phone you have in many ways and not just in pure speed.  Do yourself a favor and upgrade if you can of course
    It beating an old issue but I rely on the headphone jack and the lightning port to run some pro audio apps. As long as the 6s still has the performance to run the apps well, which it still does, I’ll stay with it.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    andy-ukandy-uk Posts: 26member
    I'm still loving my iPhone 7 Plus, when they launch the iPhone SE 2 Plus then I'm in.
  • Reply 125 of 138
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    MisterKit said:

It beating an old issue but I rely on the headphone jack and the lightning port to run some pro audio apps. As long as the 6s still has the performance to run the apps well, which it still does, I’ll stay with it.
    Sounds like you need something like the Korg plugKEY MIDI adapter
    StrangeDaysMisterKit
  • Reply 126 of 138
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence?
    Yeah, probably. 

Do you think that Apple delayed or accelerated the launch of a product that has been in the pipeline for years, and probably had to struggle through a much disrupted supply chain the past few weeeks, solely because a single market that it sells to decided to provide some welfare for people who may be struggling to pay their rent?

Nah.
    LOL. Social safety nets aren't a bad thing. Most of the GOP doesn't have a problem with the trillions allocated for corporate welfare from the CARES Act or the Federal Reserve's free money program. Especially the CARES Act welfare that now allows profitable real estate investors to depreciate their buildings for even more credit deducted from their taxable income. No, the wealthy love welfare. They just don't like it when anyone else gets it.
    Not sure what you're doing here, I wasn't criticising the welfare.
    In the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 
    Really not the point in this thread though.
    Hey man, you brought up "welfare for people". It isn't, it's for corporations too. Over $2 trillion.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 127 of 138
    Beats said:
    cornchip said:
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

Seriously was it that hard to do Apple?
    That’s the perfect phone right there.
    Perfect fictional phone you mean. 

Right... a smaller X style iPhone is impossible..... 

Beats said:
    asdasd said:
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

What would they call the next one?

Something that makes sense. "New iPhone SE" makes no sense since it isn't an SE but a new iPhone 8.

“The previous iPhone SE didn’t make sense since it wasn’t an SE but a new iPhone 5s”

Get real. The name indicates this is probably the last iPhone with this ID, as was the last one. If there’s another SE, it’ll be when they retire the iPhone X ID. Not that complicated. 
    Making iPhones for Apple is soooo hard....

Yeah, those rendered mockups with the tiny bezels and Face ID sensors far smaller than what’s on their flagship OLED iPhones in a tiny form factor should be super easy to pull off at the $399 price point. You should shoot an email to Apple, they love input from armchair engineers. 

Why would it have to be OLED? The original SE wasn't.

As far as naming remember when we called SE "iPhone 6c"?

Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.

Making iPhones for Apple is soooo hard....

(I saw this one coming when I posted it lol)

apple ][ said:
    crowley said:

Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.
    It's a stupid mock up anyway, because even if such a phone existed, you can be damn sure that it wouldn't cost $399

Flat camera, A12.

asdasd said:
    Beats said:

What would they call the next one?
    Something that makes sense. "New iPhone SE" makes no sense since it isn't an SE but a new iPhone 8.
    It absolutely is SE, you’re just rejecting reality because it didn’t jive with what you wanted it to be.

Making best in class pocket computers is hard, which is why even one knockoff CEO admitted Apple is the “master” and they the students. If they had wanted to make a smaller phone again I’m sure they could, but it wouldn’t be this price. 

Apple isn't the knockoff company. Even knockoff companies have pulled off knockoff iPhones (3,000+ Android models released yearly)

I mean no one thought this tech was possible in the 90s yet here we are doubting a smaller iPhone is impossible? Ridiculous.

As far as price goes we've already said(for years) that we'd compromise camera and chip for FaceID even at a $50 premium. So $449 at 64GB is still much cheaper than iPhone 11.
    You're confused. No one said it was "impossible" for Apple to create a small iPhone (after all, they already have). Can you quote where this was said?

As for pricing, I really don't think you're in a place to set what the price would be, since you don't have any data on the development costs, the component costs, etc. You're just making up a price and saying "It could be this!" That isn't how product pricing is devised.

Errrnnt.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 128 of 138

Beats said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence?
    Yeah, probably. 

Do you think that Apple delayed or accelerated the launch of a product that has been in the pipeline for years, and probably had to struggle through a much disrupted supply chain the past few weeeks, solely because a single market that it sells to decided to provide some welfare for people who may be struggling to pay their rent?

Nah.
    LOL. Social safety nets aren't a bad thing. Most of the GOP doesn't have a problem with the trillions allocated for corporate welfare from the CARES Act or the Federal Reserve's free money program. Especially the CARES Act welfare that now allows profitable real estate investors to depreciate their buildings for even more credit deducted from their taxable income. No, the wealthy love welfare. They just don't like it when anyone else gets it.
    In the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 

StrangePosts.
    Not at all. He brought up "welfare for people" from the stimulus package, and I just pointed out it isn't just people. There are literally trillions of dollars of corporate welfare as part of the stimulus. 

You mad bro?
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 129 of 138
    tomasulu said:
    ne4now76 said:
    This is the probably Best phone available at this price point but I WANT A SMALLER PHONE!
    Really miss the 5S/SE sized phone and I know I'm not alone. 
    A full screen device with roughly the same dimensions of the 5S/SE would be perfect. 

You’re kidding right? This is the best phone at this price point if you wanna get an Apple phone no matter. You can get an android for half the price with better screen and camera with a bezel-less design. 
    Which one? I really cant imagine a phone that could hang with this for $200. Not that I would ever go back to android & My last 2 samsungs were garbage and neither made it 2 years. I had my 5S until the 7 came out and am still using that. My 5S still functions and my kid plays with it.  My 7 operates fine and I had the apple store replace the battery a few months ago. I'm pretty pleased with every apple product i have purchased other than the remote control for the 4k AppleTV. Only thing that would entice me to buy a new phone would be a quality product with a SMALLER footprint than the 7. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 130 of 138
    tomasulu said:
    I don’t understand apples reluctance to change the look of its products. It’s carrying the craftsmanship mantra too far. Imagine a car model that stays the same design over several generations with just upgrades to engines and batteries. 
    You mean how a Porsche 911 from decades past looks very similar to one today? Same thing. My iPhone 11 doesn't look identical to my 6, but it's similar. 

Apple doesn't do change for change's sake. They've explained this many times. The change is based on a reason. That you're bored isn't a reason to them.

6 years of 911 models:

And 42 years:

edited April 2020 MisterKitne4now76
  • Reply 131 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    Yeah, probably. 

Nah.
    Hey man, you brought up "welfare for people". It isn't, it's for corporations too. Over $2 trillion.
    The stimulus checks being referred to are the ones going to people, not corporations.  Even if it wasn't, who cares, it's not relevant.  Please stop trying to deflect the thread into your own political rants.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 132 of 138
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    Yeah, probably. 

Nah.
    The stimulus checks being referred to are the ones going to people, not corporations.  Even if it wasn't, who cares, it's not relevant.  Please stop trying to deflect the thread into your own political rants.
    Like I said, in the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 

It's not political, it's factual. You can interpret it any way you like, but I'm just stating a fact.
  • Reply 133 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    Yeah, probably. 

Nah.
    Like I said, in the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 

It's not political, it's factual. You can interpret it any way you like, but I'm just stating a fact.
    There are many things that are facts, but that doesn't make them relevant to every discussion. Shut up now.
    webweasel
  • Reply 134 of 138
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    webweasel said:
    MisterKit said:

Sounds like you need something like the Korg plugKEY MIDI adapter
    I have one of those and it works well. What I do most often is run a MIDI USB to lightning cable into my 6s or iPad and go directly from the headphone jack to a sound system. It’s not Apogee quality output but it is surprisingly good quality for playing lounge gigs and casuals.
    webweasel
  • Reply 135 of 138
    A recent AppleInsider story talked about that class-action lawsuit complained about the 2-antenna MIMO on some iPhones being less-good than the 4-antenna MIMO's (<-corrections likely needed).

Does this SE have the better antenna suite?
  • Reply 136 of 138
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    hari5 said:
    Perfect addition to the current lineup of iPhone. I’m glad that Apple didn’t give it a bezel less design. It might have increased the cost.

Living in India, I want Apple to take back their throne of No. 1 Premium Smartphone brand from OnePlus. With their budget OnePlus 8 starting at $699, iPhone SE appears very attractive with Bionic Chipset. 

And I agree with people here who favours home button. I still find my mother holding on to her iPhone 7, just because of it. She can’t handle my father’s XR or my Xs Max. Although I don’t see Apple sticking with Home button on SE 3. But there are years to go by. 
    Why can’t you just turn on assistive touch?
    Then you would have a virtual home button. 
    Yes. I have enabled Assistive touch on my mother’s iPhone 7. But she seems to prefer the physical button. Unless I remove rest of all options in assistive touch, there’s that extra tap she needs to do in order to return to home screen.  
    ————————————
    On the side note, Apple gives an option to set alternative appearance in Face ID. I haven’t tried it already but I think we should set that up while wearing mask and check if that works. 
  • Reply 137 of 138
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    anome said:

Seriously, though, it can't recognize me if I wear sunglasses, and my brother can't use it if he's wearing his CPAP mask in bed, so he'd much rather keep TouchID for now. And there are plenty of other legitimate reasons to prefer TouchID to FaceID. (I mean, I can live with the sunglasses thing, but people with ventilators, or face masks, especially just now...)
    Try turning off Require Attention for Face ID, that worked for my sunglasses. If yours are polarized, it may still have trouble.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 138 of 138
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    MisterKit said:
    My humble 6s still does everything I need.
    The combo of A13 + 3 gig RAM gives this phone incredible "future-proof-ness".

I did miss the headphone jack on my 6s when I jumped to the 11 Pro, but AirPods Pro headphones are really fantastic.