Apple unveils new iPhone SE priced at just $399

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Rayz2016 said:
    zoetmb said:
    k2kw said:

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    And I wish I could get a colonoscopy without being touched, but, you know, we live in the real physical world. 

This will go down in history as one of the truly great slap-downs of the internet age.
    Do a google search on “Cologuard primed to change landscape of CRC screening” and consider that in the “physical world” we have not suspended the possibility of progress.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    This is a perfect $399 phone. For those wanting a small footprint, full-screen iPhone the 5.4 inch iPhone 12 is for you. It will only be a bit larger than the original SE and smaller than the SE 2020. Apple will have something for everyone.
    In a nutshell. Though I can’t decide whether to get this or wait for the 5.4” 12. I will keep my wallet in my pocket until October I guess. We might have more idea where the economy is going by then too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 138
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence?
    Yeah, probably. 

Do you think that Apple delayed or accelerated the launch of a product that has been in the pipeline for years, and probably had to struggle through a much disrupted supply chain the past few weeeks, solely because a single market that it sells to decided to provide some welfare for people who may be struggling to pay their rent?

Nah.
    LOL. Social safety nets aren't a bad thing. Most of the GOP doesn't have a problem with the trillions allocated for corporate welfare from the CARES Act or the Federal Reserve's free money program. Especially the CARES Act welfare that now allows profitable real estate investors to depreciate their buildings for even more credit deducted from their taxable income. No, the wealthy love welfare. They just don't like it when anyone else gets it.
    edited April 2020 ITGUYINSDhammeroftruthasdasdspock1234
  • Reply 84 of 138
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

Seriously was it that hard to do Apple?
    That’s the perfect phone right there.
    Beatsspock1234
  • Reply 85 of 138
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

There had been debate over what the "SE" models were -- were they smaller phones specially targeting the iPhone 5 form factor, or were they older shells with updated internals? Now we now. Older shell, newer guts, lower price. It's maximizing their economy of scale ability with existing older production lines and existing newer components.
    edited April 2020 dewmepscooter63watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 86 of 138
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    Fabulous news! Touch ID is back in a brand new phone. I really don’t like FaceID. I’ll be upgrading my iPhone 8 ASAP. Well done Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 138
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Beats said:

There had been debate over what the "SE" models were -- were they smaller phones specially targeting the iPhone 5 form factor, or were they older shells with updated internals? Now we now. Older shell, newer guts, lower price. It's maximizing their economy of scale ability with existing older production lines and existing newer components.
    Now it would be pretty sweet if, with the rumored return to the flat sided phones this fall, they made a phone similar to this with the 4in screen. Won’t happen obviously. I still like to dream about it though.
    Beatsspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 138
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    macgui said:
    This iteration disappoints a lot of people including me. But it became clear that it wouldn't be an SE with updated tech, but an 8 with updated tech.

Apple could have made that phone that many of us wanted, but not at $399 to open. That was never going to happen. Apple isn't really in the loss leader business. Bigger than I want, but it is a pretty good deal. Apple is making it clear that this is more about price than tech.

It's dead, Jim. I very much doubt we'll ever see the likes of the original SE in size and form factor. I did get my hopes up with the new iPads going 'SE style'. Maybe in the fall we'll see a premium version that's smaller then this phone but overflowing with hi-test tech. But I'm not going to consider that. If it happens, it happens, which it won't.  

This new SE isn't what I wanted. But it's still a lot of phone for the money, and there're not many Apple products where that's so obvious. The SE is dead. Long live the SE.
    I think the phone you are looking for is a few years away yet. The new SE isn’t going to be around more than 3 years. Then what? In October the iPhone 11 will replace the XR. The following year the iPhone 12 will be where XR is now. The year after that they’ll probably retire the SE and bring in a new all screen 5G budget phone when economies of scale make it sufficiently cost effective. Maybe a rehashed 12? The SE (2023)
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 138
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Perfect addition to the current lineup of iPhone. I’m glad that Apple didn’t give it a bezel less design. It might have increased the cost.

Living in India, I want Apple to take back their throne of No. 1 Premium Smartphone brand from OnePlus. With their budget OnePlus 8 starting at $699, iPhone SE appears very attractive with Bionic Chipset. 

And I agree with people here who favours home button. I still find my mother holding on to her iPhone 7, just because of it. She can’t handle my father’s XR or my Xs Max. Although I don’t see Apple sticking with Home button on SE 3. But there are years to go by. 
    asdasdhenrybaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 138
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.

Making iPhones for Apple is soooo hard....

(I saw this one coming when I posted it lol)

apple ][ said:
    crowley said:

It's a stupid mock up anyway, because even if such a phone existed, you can be damn sure that it wouldn't cost $399

Flat camera, A12.

asdasd said:
    Beats said:

What would they call the next one?

Something that makes sense. "New iPhone SE" makes no sense since it isn't an SE but a new iPhone 8.

spock1234
  • Reply 91 of 138
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, At $399 price point, what not to like !!
    Recently it's been all about "OMG that FOREHEAD!" and "Geesh, what massive bezels, LOL". I suppose this newest iPhone escapes those complaints.

Exactly. Just as iPhoney users were exclaiming that iPhone XR had "GIGANTIC" bezels even though they were close to non-existant.

iPhone XR bezels were never close to non-existant. They are in fact unusually large.

Slide you thumb along the bottom of any Huawei phone screen and it switches into one handed mode. Either direction depending on which hand. I believe most Androids have similar features. Slide your thumb in the opposite direction to go back to full screen. 
    Like this?
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/31/how-to-enable-and-use-reachability-on-iphone-x

StrangeDays
  • Reply 92 of 138
    cornchip said:
    Beats said:

That’s the perfect phone right there.
    Perfect fictional phone you mean. 
    StrangeDaysBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 138

Beats said:
    asdasd said:
    Beats said:

Something that makes sense. "New iPhone SE" makes no sense since it isn't an SE but a new iPhone 8.

“The previous iPhone SE didn’t make sense since it wasn’t an SE but a new iPhone 5s”

Get real. The name indicates this is probably the last iPhone with this ID, as was the last one. If there’s another SE, it’ll be when they retire the iPhone X ID. Not that complicated. 

Yeah, those rendered mockups with the tiny bezels and Face ID sensors far smaller than what’s on their flagship OLED iPhones in a tiny form factor should be super easy to pull off at the $399 price point. You should shoot an email to Apple, they love input from armchair engineers. 

StrangeDaysdewmeasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 138
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    k2kw said:
    wood1208 said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, At $399 price point, what not to like !!
    Recently it's been all about "OMG that FOREHEAD!" and "Geesh, what massive bezels, LOL". I suppose this newest iPhone escapes those complaints.
      something got to give to put well recognized Touch ID on front. Obviously, could shrink mm side bezels and may be bit from top/down area but with Touch ID, can't get rid of much. That is a reality of physical touch id in front.

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    I wish FaceID could see my face when I'm wearing a Halloween mask, but it seems there's some pesky technical limitation.

Seriously, though, it can't recognize me if I wear sunglasses, and my brother can't use it if he's wearing his CPAP mask in bed, so he'd much rather keep TouchID for now. And there are plenty of other legitimate reasons to prefer TouchID to FaceID. (I mean, I can live with the sunglasses thing, but people with ventilators, or face masks, especially just now...)
    muthuk_vanalingamhenrybay
  • Reply 95 of 138
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

(I saw this one coming when I posted it lol)

apple ][ said:
    crowley said:

It's a stupid mock up anyway, because even if such a phone existed, you can be damn sure that it wouldn't cost $399

Flat camera, A12.

asdasd said:
    Beats said:

It absolutely is SE, you’re just rejecting reality because it didn’t jive with what you wanted it to be.

Making best in class pocket computers is hard, which is why even one knockoff CEO admitted Apple is the “master” and they the students. If they had wanted to make a smaller phone again I’m sure they could, but it wouldn’t be this price. 
  • Reply 96 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ElCapitan said:
    Looks like a nice replacement for a 6s. No headphone jack though. 
    Luckily we can buy AirPods these days .
    spock1234
  • Reply 97 of 138

Beats said:
    asdasd said:
    Beats said:

“The previous iPhone SE didn’t make sense since it wasn’t an SE but a new iPhone 5s”

Get real. The name indicates this is probably the last iPhone with this ID, as was the last one. If there’s another SE, it’ll be when they retire the iPhone X ID. Not that complicated. 

Yeah, those rendered mockups with the tiny bezels and Face ID sensors far smaller than what’s on their flagship OLED iPhones in a tiny form factor should be super easy to pull off at the $399 price point. You should shoot an email to Apple, they love input from armchair engineers. 

“This should be super easy, barely an inconvenience.” 😎
    spock1234
  • Reply 98 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence?
    Yeah, probably. 

Do you think that Apple delayed or accelerated the launch of a product that has been in the pipeline for years, and probably had to struggle through a much disrupted supply chain the past few weeeks, solely because a single market that it sells to decided to provide some welfare for people who may be struggling to pay their rent?

Nah.
    LOL. Social safety nets aren't a bad thing. Most of the GOP doesn't have a problem with the trillions allocated for corporate welfare from the CARES Act or the Federal Reserve's free money program. Especially the CARES Act welfare that now allows profitable real estate investors to depreciate their buildings for even more credit deducted from their taxable income. No, the wealthy love welfare. They just don't like it when anyone else gets it.
    Not sure what you're doing here, I wasn't criticising the welfare.
  • Reply 99 of 138
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    Yeah, probably. 

Nah.
    In the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 
    asdasdbaconstangspock1234
  • Reply 100 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    Yeah, probably. 

Nah.
    In the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 
    Really not the point in this thread though.
    baconstangroundaboutnowspock1234