Apple unveils new iPhone SE priced at just $399

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    aderutter said:
    Looks like a bargain to me. Impressed by the 3GB RAM.
    It does however make the iPad Pros look expensive.
    A13 in the cheap budget phone, but A12 variant in iPad Pro which has a larger screen/resolution?
    I can’t understand that.
    Wait for the benchmarks, the 11 pro A13 is slower than the A12X and Z, the A13 in the SE will undoubtedly be clocked lower (likely lower quality chips, fewer cores enabled or just clocked down).
  • Reply 102 of 138
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    TouchID is great now since it seems we're all going to be wearing masks for the next year.  What Apple needs to do is update their FaceID system to take two profiles...one without a mask and one with a mask.
  • Reply 103 of 138
    practigal said:
    After waiting and waiting for this phone, I am skipping it. What Apple missed was the affection for the ID of the 5 series. Besides the small size, the look and feel of the 5 form-factor was undeniable. Flat edges, metal frame. Kind of the feel of the boxy SUV (Honda Pilot, Jeep Wrangler) v. the swoopy (Lexus RX). I just wanted the SE with a full-screen display (notch and all), Face ID, a better camera, faster processor and definitely NOT a larger size. Must fit in back pocket. I actually dreamt last night that my phone (10s) was pocket-picked. Well, the fall phones are supposed to go back to the flat edge so I shall await that offering.
    Agreed. My friends have Android edge to edge screens. (I would never go to android) but the new Se's "chin and the brow" look dated. Still rocking a rose gold Se. Probably will get one if my Se breaks or is no longer supported.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    TouchID is great now since it seems we're all going to be wearing masks for the next year.  What Apple needs to do is update their FaceID system to take two profiles...one without a mask and one with a mask.
    Huawei actually investigated that option but had to rule it out due to the lack of reference points of what is left visible while wearing a mask. 

All of their 3D depth sensing ID phones also have fingerprint scanners so it is less of an inconvenience when wearing a mask.

Not sure if Apple could come up with a workaround to the inconvenience for mask wearers. I haven't given it a lot of thought. 

• Reply 105 of 138
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    MacPro said:
    ElCapitan said:
    Looks like a nice replacement for a 6s. No headphone jack though. 
    Luckily we can buy AirPods these days .
    I don’t think those will help much for connecting to a device/gadget that comes with a plain old hp plug. 

The correct answer is; there’s a dongle for that. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 106 of 138
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is great and highlights the importance of the machine learning hardware Apple has in A13.    I’m pretty sure that was a big motivation in putting A13 in this phone!    So it looks like some are underestimating the importance of the processor.  

Overall looks like a huge value as phones go.   Apple even seems to be leaving the stupidity of their RAM configurations behind which is a positive.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 107 of 138
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    KBChicago said:
    And my son's 5th grade graduation present was announced by Apple, today.  This is the perfect phone for him to start with as he moves on to middle school/junior high.  He's been using an iPod touch as a starter.  It allows him to text and FaceTime.  He has a Relay for when he is out in public.  This is the perfect step up.
    A 5th grader doesn’t need a phone.   
    gatorguy
  • Reply 108 of 138
    zoetmb said:
    k2kw said:

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    And I wish I could get a colonoscopy without being touched, but, you know, we live in the real physical world. 
    Actually, there’s a pill for that.  Unfortunately, while pictures are included, robotic arms art included... for the delicate work.
  • Reply 109 of 138
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Mission accomplished for delivering a much better than expected smartphone with modern internals that can take advantage of a wide swath of Apple’s current and near term future services portfolio. Apple obviously had to make some tough choices about where it spent its budget to achieve the $399 price target. I think they did an outstanding job and will have no problems moving these things. If the iPod Touch has another update cycle in its future I expect it’ll be very similar to the new SE.
    edited April 2020 pscooter63
  • Reply 110 of 138
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Great iPhone at a great price! Still gonna hang on to my gold SE though until the wheels fall off.
    baconstang
  • Reply 111 of 138
    hari5 said:
    Perfect addition to the current lineup of iPhone. I’m glad that Apple didn’t give it a bezel less design. It might have increased the cost.

Living in India, I want Apple to take back their throne of No. 1 Premium Smartphone brand from OnePlus. With their budget OnePlus 8 starting at $699, iPhone SE appears very attractive with Bionic Chipset. 

And I agree with people here who favours home button. I still find my mother holding on to her iPhone 7, just because of it. She can’t handle my father’s XR or my Xs Max. Although I don’t see Apple sticking with Home button on SE 3. But there are years to go by. 
    Why can’t you just turn on assistive touch?
    Then you would have a virtual home button. 
  • Reply 112 of 138
    I had two SEs, but traded for two 8s. Going to get two of the new SEs to replace the 8s, as they have the newer A13 that Apple won't declare obsolete for some time to come.  My 8s (and new SEs) are primarily phones, contacts, clocks, and used foursome and business. (Wireless home)  Use my 27"iMac  for everything else. 
  • Reply 113 of 138
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    cornchip said:
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

Seriously was it that hard to do Apple?
    That’s the perfect phone right there.
    Perfect fictional phone you mean. 

Right... a smaller X style iPhone is impossible..... 

Beats said:
    asdasd said:
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

What would they call the next one?

Something that makes sense. "New iPhone SE" makes no sense since it isn't an SE but a new iPhone 8.

“The previous iPhone SE didn’t make sense since it wasn’t an SE but a new iPhone 5s”

Get real. The name indicates this is probably the last iPhone with this ID, as was the last one. If there’s another SE, it’ll be when they retire the iPhone X ID. Not that complicated. 
    Making iPhones for Apple is soooo hard....

Yeah, those rendered mockups with the tiny bezels and Face ID sensors far smaller than what’s on their flagship OLED iPhones in a tiny form factor should be super easy to pull off at the $399 price point. You should shoot an email to Apple, they love input from armchair engineers. 

Why would it have to be OLED? The original SE wasn't.

As far as naming remember when we called SE "iPhone 6c"?

Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:

Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.

Making iPhones for Apple is soooo hard....

(I saw this one coming when I posted it lol)

apple ][ said:
    crowley said:

Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.
    It's a stupid mock up anyway, because even if such a phone existed, you can be damn sure that it wouldn't cost $399

Flat camera, A12.

asdasd said:
    Beats said:

What would they call the next one?
    Something that makes sense. "New iPhone SE" makes no sense since it isn't an SE but a new iPhone 8.
    It absolutely is SE, you’re just rejecting reality because it didn’t jive with what you wanted it to be.

Making best in class pocket computers is hard, which is why even one knockoff CEO admitted Apple is the “master” and they the students. If they had wanted to make a smaller phone again I’m sure they could, but it wouldn’t be this price. 

Apple isn't the knockoff company. Even knockoff companies have pulled off knockoff iPhones (3,000+ Android models released yearly)

I mean no one thought this tech was possible in the 90s yet here we are doubting a smaller iPhone is impossible? Ridiculous.

As far as price goes we've already said(for years) that we'd compromise camera and chip for FaceID even at a $50 premium. So $449 at 64GB is still much cheaper than iPhone 11.
  • Reply 114 of 138
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Joer293 said:
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence?
    Yeah, probably. 

Do you think that Apple delayed or accelerated the launch of a product that has been in the pipeline for years, and probably had to struggle through a much disrupted supply chain the past few weeeks, solely because a single market that it sells to decided to provide some welfare for people who may be struggling to pay their rent?

Nah.
    LOL. Social safety nets aren't a bad thing. Most of the GOP doesn't have a problem with the trillions allocated for corporate welfare from the CARES Act or the Federal Reserve's free money program. Especially the CARES Act welfare that now allows profitable real estate investors to depreciate their buildings for even more credit deducted from their taxable income. No, the wealthy love welfare. They just don't like it when anyone else gets it.
    Not sure what you're doing here, I wasn't criticising the welfare.
    In the US it’s typical that when referring to social safety nets as “welfare” it’s being used as a pejorative, usually from a supposed fiscally conservative position. I always like to remind that welfare isn’t just for the poor, but is very popular with US corporations and executives of those corporations. Banking, auto, airlines, etc. We have a strong history of corporate welfare that encourages private profit but socialized risk. 

StrangePosts.
  • Reply 115 of 138
    OdvarOnlyOdvarOnly Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I think the greatest feature of this phone is the ability purchase a phone from Apple at below $400 without worrying about when they will stop providing iOS update for it. Not sure about the old UI though I think Apple has moved on from Touch ID on phones, I would call this a parts bin phone.
  • Reply 116 of 138
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Great price, but this is the "iPhone 9" in every way -- nothing to do with the original SE and everything to do with the iPhone 8 redux.
    tyler82
  • Reply 117 of 138
    My humble 6s still does everything I need.
  • Reply 118 of 138
    I am a consumer of many Apple products.  In my house you will find 2 MacBook Pros, 1 iMac, 3 iPhone 11s, 2 Apple TV’s and 1 Apple Watch.  I also am a subscriber to Apple Music and Apple TV.  I also buy many TV shows, movies and music at iTunes.  I will not be making any more purchases until Apple reduces their production in China.
  • Reply 119 of 138
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    MisterKit said:
    My humble 6s still does everything I need.
    That may be, but the 8 or this new SE blow away the phone you have in many ways and not just in pure speed.  Do yourself a favor and upgrade if you can of course
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 120 of 138
    I really hate the curved glass edges. What purposes does it server other than to make the screen easier to break?