Apple unveils new iPhone SE priced at just $399

Comments

• Reply 41 of 138
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, At $399 price point, what not to like !!
    Recently it's been all about "OMG that FOREHEAD!" and "Geesh, what massive bezels, LOL". I suppose this newest iPhone escapes those complaints.
    Yup, and will generate a shipload of new ones. Just give it a few more minutes.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 138
    practigal said:
    After waiting and waiting for this phone, I am skipping it. What Apple missed was the affection for the ID of the 5 series. Besides the small size, the look and feel of the 5 form-factor was undeniable. Flat edges, metal frame. Kind of the feel of the boxy SUV (Honda Pilot, Jeep Wrangler) v. the swoopy (Lexus RX). I just wanted the SE with a full-screen display (notch and all), Face ID, a better camera, faster processor and definitely NOT a larger size. Must fit in back pocket. I actually dreamt last night that my phone (10s) was pocket-picked. Well, the fall phones are supposed to go back to the flat edge so I shall await that offering.
    What in the world are you asking for? An iPhone 8 does not fit in your pocket? What kind of pockets do you have? Edge-to-edge display on a series 5 chassis with faceID??? You HAVE TO BE KIDDING. There would be a millimeter of display on either side of the notch. Where would the time, battery, signal strength, WiFi, location data go?! Get out of here. 
    Beatspscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 138
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This could be my next iPhone.  I've been using a 1st Gen. SE since 2016.  The new SE has very nice specs.  I also prefer Touch ID to face recognition.  My only quibble is the camera bump.  Personally, I would have preferred no bump even at the cost of a poorer camera.
    You probably need to read some old school detective stories or movies to brush up on the reasons for why that will never happen. 
    edited April 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 138
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    zoetmb said:
    k2kw said:

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    And I wish I could get a colonoscopy without being touched, but, you know, we live in the real physical world. 
    TMI
    christopher126
  • Reply 45 of 138
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

Seriously was it that hard to do Apple?
    williamlondoncornchipspock1234ne4now76
  • Reply 46 of 138
    vvk1vvk1 Posts: 11member
    You had my heart racing with the dual-sim assertion. I immediately looked to order it because a dual-SIM iPhone has been my dream! But alas, it is a single physical SIM with eSIM required for dual-SIM functionality. Oh well... Still the best iPhone that I would pick over 11 any time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 138
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, At $399 price point, what not to like !!
    Recently it's been all about "OMG that FOREHEAD!" and "Geesh, what massive bezels, LOL". I suppose this newest iPhone escapes those complaints.

Exactly. Just as iPhoney users were exclaiming that iPhone XR had "GIGANTIC" bezels even though they were close to non-existant.

This could be my next iPhone.  I've been using a 1st Gen. SE since 2016.  The new SE has very nice specs.  I also prefer Touch ID to face recognition.  My only quibble is the camera bump.  Personally, I would have preferred no bump even at the cost of a poorer camera.

You could have gotten an iPhone 6/6s/7/8. Why did you have to wait for this one? Was it the name?

Facebook did try the same thing, and pundits at the time made a big deal about how mini-app"bots" were going to take over and erase the App Store back in 2015-2016. That didn't happen. https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/10/apple-inc-and-the-bot-war-on-apps- And the story of WeChat doing the same in China was a tale already told a few years ago in 2017. It's been a story since 2011. Apple somehow still has an App Store in China. No doubt it would be larger without any competition of any kind, but this story seems overblown.
    Gobnu said:
    Expected, but still disappointing.  I was hoping they would pull off the surprise and have one in the original SE case with an A12 in it.  I would greatly miss the smaller size, and the flat edges.  Guess I'll have to take a look at the fall offerings.
    Do you imagine that Apple does not have the data needed to know what people want? If people were buying 5" iPhones, Apple would be selling them. Nobody wants a tiny phone anymore. The SE is already a minor niche product across Apple's primary markets. The only reason for making a 5" phone would be nostalgia for a few thousand 40 year old men.

Ummmm most SE users were under 40. I'm way under 40 with big hands and still prefer a one-handed iPhone.

New One-handed iPhones/iKnockoffs don't exist anymore. This is the perfect time to take that market.

Folio said:
    iPhone at the price of a watch. Should help push wearables sales too. FWIW one survey I saw put SE at 12 percent of desired model of iPhone purchase in US. That surprised me. It's hardly niche, especially considering ex US.

That was for the SE-sized iPhone not for an iPhone 8 rehash.
    edited April 2020 baconstangspock1234
  • Reply 48 of 138
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

You are missing the goal here. Price. 

FaceID alone would have pushed price up. 

It will bring Apple some memes but they obviously have accepted that. On the other hand, this phone will give cash strapped iOS users a modern phone (in SoC terms), it gives Apple a product that can be marketed to developing nations. It provides a stop gap option for those not willing to pay flagship pricing on a 4G phone, knowing that 5G is already here or will be in the next 12/18 months. And for people that simply don't care about bells, whistles or even looks. 

I too, would have preferred a modern design but the more attractive it could have been the more it would have hit their flagship models. I can see that this is a realistic solution to a huge problem: flat sales and price fatigue. 

edited April 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 138
    This is a perfect $399 phone. For those wanting a small footprint, full-screen iPhone the 5.4 inch iPhone 12 is for you. It will only be a bit larger than the original SE and smaller than the SE 2020. Apple will have something for everyone.
    Wait wut? a phone Smaller (overall size, not just screen) than this is coming?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 138
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The physical home button should be reintroduced to all iOS products.
    williamlondonmacplusplus
  • Reply 51 of 138
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

You are missing the goal here. Price. 

FaceID alone would have pushed price up. 

It will bring Apple some memes but they obviously have accepted that. On the other hand, this phone will give cash strapped iOS users a modern phone (in SoC terms), it gives Apple a product that can be marketed to developing nations. It provides a stop gap option for those not willing to pay flagship pricing on a 4G phone, knowing that 5G is already here or will be in the next 12/18 months. And for people that simply don't care about bells, whistles or even looks. 

I too, would have preferred a modern design but the more attractive it could have been the more it would have hit their flagship models. I can see that this is a realistic solution to a huge problem: flat sales and price fatigue. 

We were willing to accept other compromises like a flat back camera and A12.

No 5G isn't here and Apple gets memes every year because it's Apple. No one gives a shit about anyone else.

As for price we could have bought an iPhone 8 and still had a Plus option. The 2016 SE was discontinued 3 years ago. We may never see that size again.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 52 of 138
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    Beats said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:

Exactly. Just as iPhoney users were exclaiming that iPhone XR had "GIGANTIC" bezels even though they were close to non-existant.

iPhone XR bezels were never close to non-existant. They are in fact unusually large.

Slide you thumb along the bottom of any Huawei phone screen and it switches into one handed mode. Either direction depending on which hand. I believe most Androids have similar features. Slide your thumb in the opposite direction to go back to full screen. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 53 of 138
    zoetmb said:
    k2kw said:

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    And I wish I could get a colonoscopy without being touched, but, you know, we live in the real physical world. 

Is he your doctor? He shouldn't be using his iPhone in those circumstances anyway.
  • Reply 54 of 138
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:

iPhone XR bezels were never close to non-existant. They are in fact unusually large. 

See Gatorguy^^
  • Reply 55 of 138
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    k2kw said:

Just as ridiculous saying I wish Face ID could see my face through my mask.
    baconstangpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 138
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, Respectable spec at $399 price point, what not to like !!
    With the COVID pandemic and the proliferation of masking, FaceID is suddenly much less convenient!
    baconstangmacplusplus
  • Reply 57 of 138
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Yup, and will generate a shipload of new ones. Just give it a few more minutes.
    here, let me help...
    "I can't believe they wasted all that space at the top! Why doesn't the screen go all the way up??? This never would've happened when Steve Jobs was around. They need to fire Jonny Ive!" 

Seriously, this phone looks like an awesome value. Yes, you lose some screen size and FaceID but you get a top notch phone in every other aspect. I'm guessing FaceID was left out as a cost saving measure since they could easily have put it at the top of the device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 138
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    gatorguy said:
    DAalseth said:
    That looks like a nice phone. I had an SE and it was great, I used it for three and a half years. I ended on moving up to an 11 a few months ago for the improved feature set, but I do miss the small size. Love the 11s big screen, but it was nice to be able to keep the phone in my jeans pocket.
    Is this a small phone ala the original? Could be, I've not seen the dimensions. 
    Not as small as the original SE. But it's a lot smaller than the 11 I have in a belt holster. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 138
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    DAalseth said:
    gatorguy said:
    DAalseth said:
    That looks like a nice phone. I had an SE and it was great, I used it for three and a half years. I ended on moving up to an 11 a few months ago for the improved feature set, but I do miss the small size. Love the 11s big screen, but it was nice to be able to keep the phone in my jeans pocket.
    Is this a small phone ala the original? Could be, I've not seen the dimensions. 
    Not as small as the original SE. But it's a lot smaller than the 11 I have in a belt holster. 
    I saw that in the related AI article. Identical size to the iPhone 8 it replaces.

• Reply 60 of 138
    vvk1vvk1 Posts: 11member
    You had my heart racing with the dual-sim assertion. I immediately looked to order it because a dual-SIM iPhone has been my dream! But alas, it is a single physical SIM with eSIM required for dual-SIM functionality. Oh well... Still the best iPhone that I would pick over 11 any time.