Apple releases 'major' update to Logic Pro X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited May 2020
On Tuesday, Apple rolled out what it is calling "the biggest update to Logic since the launch of Logic Pro X."

Mac Pro with the new version of Logic Pro X
Mac Pro with the new version of Logic Pro X

The update to Logic Pro X adds a professional version of Live Loops, a completely redesigned sampling workflow, and new beat-making tools.

With Live Loops on the Mac, Logic users can now create music in new freeform and nonlinear ways. Apple notes that Loops, samples, and recordings can be organized into a new musical grid, with musicians able to can perform and capture arrangements, and refine them in Logic.

Remix FX enhances Live Loops with electronic effects like Bitcrusher, filter, gater, and repeater -- and all can be applied in real time. The Logic Remote app allows users to pair their iPhone or iPad with their Mac to provide Multi-Touch control over Live Loops and Remix FX.

Logic Pro X on the MacBook Pro, with the Logic Remote app
Logic Pro X on the MacBook Pro, with the Logic Remote app

Step Sequencer is a new editor in Logic to program drum beats, bass lines, and melodic parts using an interface inspired by what Apple calls "classic drum machine workflows." Step Sequencer combines a pattern-based style of music creation with editing options to providing detailed control over note velocity, repeat, gate, skip, playback direction, and randomization.

Sampler is an implementation of the industry-standard EXS24 plug-in, redesigned, and fully backwards compatible. And, Quick Sampler allows users to pick a sound from within Logic, the Finder, Voice Memos, or even record directly.

Logic Pro X Quick Sampler interface
Logic Pro X Quick Sampler interface

"The Mac and Logic Pro X are essential tools used by the world's top musicians and producers to create the music that we all love," said Susan Prescott, Apple's vice president of Apps Product Marketing. "Logic Pro X 10.5 represents the biggest update to Logic since the launch of Logic Pro X, with powerful new tools that will inspire every artist -- from those just getting started with Logic, to those already using it to produce Grammy Award-winning albums. We can't wait to hear what these artists create next."

Logic Pro X 10.5 is available today as a free update for all existing users, and is available on the Mac App Store for $199.99 for new customers. Logic Remote 1.4 is also available today as a free download on the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh finally a new GUI for EXS24? Cool. But...

As predicted: Apple dropped Sierra and High Sierra support for Logic. I’m sort of surprised they didn’t also drop Mojave support.

None of my Macs support Mojave. They are already hacked to run unsupported High Sierra and can’t go further to Mojave.

Sigh.

Then there’s the remote app, with no support for iOS 12, which I’m still on because iOS 13 is reportedly sluggish on iPhone 6s and iPad Pro first generation.

Sigh.

The push to buy new hardware continues... and I’m poor as dirt.

Even if I weren’t poor, Apple don’t give a damn about me being a customer unless I’m also wealthy. Buy a new phone every three years to be safe. Buy a new Mac every six years or less.

No!

I’ve been saving tax rebates to buy a new Mac Pro to replace both my old Macs and my old PC, and then Apple went and changed the introductory price of the Mac Pro to frelling $6000, twice what it used to start at, and all non-plutocrats who can’t afford an overkill machine are expected to keep using storage & RAM-unupgradable & thermally deficient all-in-one laptops, iMacs, or similarly stupidly compact & unupgradable Mac Mini (while also suffering whatever display incompatibilities there are with third party displays because Apple only makes a $5000 display now).

Apple won me over in 2008. In 2013, that Apple ceased to be. I still hate Windows and PCs more, but WTF am I supposed to do? Just keep buying thermally-insufficient, high-cost second-hand machines that last a shorter time due to the constant upgrade cycle push via an expiring ecosystem?

Having a fully-operational Apple device ecosystem is impossible for longer than a couple years. For example: if I upgrade to iOS 13, iCloud Safari sync will break for me because I can’t uograde to Mojave on my Macs.

This is shit. I don’t know where else I can go because I DESPISE Windows and PCs. Dog damn you, Apple.
    toysandmeqwerty52Beatstobian
  • Reply 2 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    PS: No screenshots of the new EXS24 GUI? I assume it’s more flat minimalist ugliness bullshit like that Quick Sampler...?
  • Reply 3 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There’s nothing “professional” about the Live Loops function. It might be adequate for creating a scratch track, but it’s more a tool for amateurs and DJs.
    ZepLepplinqwerty52kamilton
  • Reply 4 of 64
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    dysamoria said:

As predicted: Apple dropped Sierra and High Sierra support for Logic. I’m sort of surprised they didn’t also drop Mojave support.

None of my Macs support Mojave. They are already hacked to run unsupported High Sierra and can’t go further to Mojave.

Sigh.

Then there’s the remote app, with no support for iOS 12, which I’m still on because iOS 13 is reportedly sluggish on iPhone 6s and iPad Pro first generation.

Sigh.

Even if I weren’t poor, Apple don’t give a damn about me being a customer unless I’m also wealthy. Buy a new phone every three years to be safe. Buy a new Mac every six years or less.

No!

I’ve been saving tax rebates to buy a new Mac Pro to replace both my old Macs and my old PC, and then Apple went and changed the introductory price of the Mac Pro to frelling $6000, twice what it used to start at, and all non-plutocrats who can’t afford an overkill machine are expected to keep using storage & RAM-unupgradable & thermally deficient all-in-one laptops, iMacs, or similarly stupidly compact & unupgradable Mac Mini (while also suffering whatever display incompatibilities there are with third party displays because Apple only makes a $5000 display now).

Apple won me over in 2008. In 2013, that Apple ceased to be. I still hate Windows and PCs more, but WTF am I supposed to do? Just keep buying thermally-insufficient, high-cost second-hand machines that last a shorter time due to the constant upgrade cycle push via an expiring ecosystem?

Having a fully-operational Apple device ecosystem is impossible for longer than a couple years. For example: if I upgrade to iOS 13, iCloud Safari sync will break for me because I can’t uograde to Mojave on my Macs.

This is shit. I don’t know where else I can go because I DESPISE Windows and PCs. Dog damn you, Apple.
    No one is forced to upgrade. Buying new equipment has always been a part of doing business. If you use Logic professionally you should know this. 
    Sure, the new Pro is expensive, but should last you a long time. 
    Beatsfahlman
  • Reply 5 of 64
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    dysamoria said:

Sigh.

Sigh.

No!

You don’t have to upgrade. Your existing version of Logic will continue to work for you and the thousands of others who can’t or don’t want to upgrade either. 
    qwerty52MisterKitBeatsfahlman
  • Reply 6 of 64
    There’s nothing “professional” about the Live Loops function. It might be adequate for creating a scratch track, but it’s more a tool for amateurs and DJs.
    There are people who are professional DJs. 
    Beatsspheric
  • Reply 7 of 64
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    I suspect they added it to catch up with Ableton Live which offers the same feature. 
    spheric
  • Reply 8 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Disc spinning and sample cueing isn’t making music.
    qwerty52mobirdMisterKit
  • Reply 9 of 64
    and I doubt they’ll play with this live loops toy. nothing professional about it. 
    qwerty52
  • Reply 10 of 64

mr lizard said:
    I suspect they added it to catch up with Ableton Live which offers the same feature. 
    sorta. Ableton is in a class all by itself. It created it, it owns it. Live Loops is laughable to even be compared to Ableton Live. Though I can see where it may eventually get to a place to compete, but light years away. 
    Beats
  • Reply 11 of 64

dysamoria said:
    PS: No screenshots of the new EXS24 GUI? I assume it’s more flat minimalist ugliness bullshit like that Quick Sampler...?
    Wrong. It’s modern and easy to look at and understand.  Won’t miss that German 1997 interface. 
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Being a DJ is an actual profession (Marshmello, Deadmau5 are examples if you don't believe me). So your comment is basically "There's nothing professional about Live Loops. It's more a tool for professionals."
  • Reply 13 of 64

Yay... we have found Grandpa Simpson. 

edited May 2020
  • Reply 14 of 64
    vman815vman815 Posts: 8member
    dysamoria said:

Sigh.

Sigh.

No!

I am assuming that you are doing music as your profession. Here’s hoping that you get some new, high-dollar clients this year, so that you can afford to buy new Mac hardware.
    AppleSince1976tobian
  • Reply 15 of 64
    dysamoria said:
    If you really need a Mac Pro, you can afford it. Otherwise, you can produce a whole album or a feature film score on almost any Apple machine. Logic doesn't need uber-hardware to run smoothly. If you look at the videos or photos from most music producer's setups, it's mostly a MacBook or an iMac of some kind running the DAW. Unless you're Deadmau5 and need to render videos in real time while running a truckload of equipment, then sure, get a Mac Pro and cover the cost in one show. Same goes for video, unless you're Marques Brownlee and shoot 8K RED RAW daily, any MacBook Pro or higher-spec iMac will do the job for a 4K workflow, not to mention full HD. I do both audio and video and my current machine is a 13" MacBook Pro with an eGPU, but I also actively use a 2015 27" i5 iMac. I yet have to see either machine reach 100% CPU usage in Logic or Ableton. Plus, you can upgrade an iMac's RAM or add a Thunderbolt 3 SSD and eGPU to any modern MacBook.

As for the iOS 13 on 1st gen iPad Pro, I'm using the combo and it still flies with any regular task.
    edited May 2020 randominternetpersonthtAppleSince1976fahlman
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Good job moving the goal posts. First you said there’s nothing professional about Live Loops and then said it’s a tool for DJs.  I said there are professional DJs. Then you changed it up by saying disc spinning and sampling aren’t making music. OK, but DJs are still professional. Maybe they won’t use Live Loops but that is not what you said in my original quote.

and I doubt they’ll play with this live loops toy. nothing professional about it. 
    Again, maybe DJs will use it and maybe they won’t. My comment was pointing to the fact that there are professional DJs. Nothing more, nothing less. 
    ZepLepplinBeats
  • Reply 17 of 64
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I’ve messed around with loops, but feel like it’s cheating, using someone else’s creation. I’m lucky that I spent thousands of hours learning how to play instruments, the most fulfilling feeling ever. I would encourage everyone to learn an instrument. I started with keyboard, learned basic theory, moved onto the foundations of sound synthesis & MIDI, and could not resist the electric guitar - thank you pagey! I wish I had all the resources that are available now back when I was a kid - there’s really no excuse why you can’t learn - the music and lessons are all free ... and now everyone has some extra time during lock down. Logic is a masterpiece of software - so much you can do with it. Keep
    learning, keep creating!
    AppleSince1976Beatsmcdavetobian
  • Reply 18 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    dysamoria said:

Mojave will run on a 2015 or newer MacBook, or a 2012 or newer MacBook Air/Pro/iMac. High Sierra will run on anything newer than 2010 Since you had to hack your computers to run High Sierra, you are saying that have a more than 10 year old computer and are mad because it won't run brand new software. Say what?

fastasleepjdb8167Beatsfahlman
  • Reply 19 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    dysamoria said:

[SAME SHIT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN]
    Dude. Get over yourself. How many more years are you going to be whining in the forum about not having a modern Mac because everything in life is stacked against you? I think you said you've been saving for a Mac for like a decade at this point. That's absurd.

Here's the thing: YOU DO NOT NEED A MAC PRO. You are not a professional anything, or you wouldn't be posting this nonsense over and over and over again. Everyone I know gets by just fine with whatever Mac they have. All these perceived issues you have with the current Mac offerings are completely fabricated. Meanwhile the rest of the world is creating music and art just fine while you whine and complain and do nothing to actually solve your own problems. It's ridiculous. 

You don't need a new Mac, you need a job.
    AppleSince1976jdb8167Beatsmdriftmeyerspheric
  • Reply 20 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Not a single Logic thread goes by without driveby gatekeeping as to what constitutes real art. 
    jdb8167spheric