'iPhone 12' event Sept. 8 with 'Apple Glass' & Apple Silicon Mac reveal on Oct. 27, says l...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple's fall "iPhone 12" keynote will happen on Sept. 8 and a subsequent iPad Pro and Apple Silicon Mac event will take place Oct. 27, a known leaker claims.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

According to an Apple leaker, the Cupertino tech giant will announce new the ""iPhone 12" lineup, as well as new Apple Watch and iPad models, at an online-only event on Tuesday, Sept. 8.

Apple Special Events
September 8 (online)
iPhones,Apple Watch,AirPower,iPad
October 27
iPad Pro, Apple Silicon Macs (MacBook,MacBook Pro13"),(unless online Apple Glass)#Apple #event #ios #iPhone12 #AIRPOWER #iPad #macbook pic.twitter.com/QXIkvNSRY2

-- iHacktu Pro (@ihacktu)

The leaker, who goes by the name "ihacktu," also alleges that Apple will unveil some version of AirPower at the keynote event. Although the first version of AirPower was scrapped, there have been rumors that the company is developing an improved variant for release.

As Apple has done in past years, iHacktu also says that the company will hold an iPad Pro-specific event on Tuesday, Oct. 27. That event may or may not be a virtual keynote.

Alongside a new generation of iPad Pro, the leaker claims that Apple will release the first Apple Silicon Mac models at the event, including a "MacBook" and a 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Interestingly, iHacktu notes that Apple may even announce its so-called "Apple Glass" augmented reality device at the event. But they suggest that will only be the case if it's an in-person keynote and not an online-only announcement.

Back in 2019, well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that the first version of Apple Glass would arrive in 2020. Leaker Jon Prosser has since corroborated that.

The dates do line-up with Apple's keynote timelines in past years, and iHacktu has a track record of being generally reliable.

What we expect at the Apple keynotes in fall 2020

Apple is expected to release four new models as part of its "iPhone 12" lineup. Specifically, it could include a lower-priced 5.4-inch "iPhone 12," a 6.1-inch "iPhone 12 Plus," a 6.1-inch "iPhone 12 Pro," and a 6.8-inch "iPhone 12 Pro Max." All four models are thought to sport OLED displays and 5G connectivity. The lower-tier models are rumored to have a dual-camera setup and 4GB of RAM, while the Pro models could come equipped with a triple-lens camera, a 120Hz ProMotion display and 6GB of RAM.

A new wearable, the "Apple Watch Series 6," is rumored to feature improved water-resistance, a larger battery to help make way for sleep tracking, and other upgrades. There isn't much information on new entry-level and midrange iPad models, though past reports have suggested that Apple will debut a 10.8-inch iPad Air and a new iPad mini variants.

The Cupertino tech giant may also have solved the overheating issues that ultimately killed off the first -- unreleased -- version of AirPower. According to leaker Jon Prosser, a new "C68" prototype of AirPower equipped with an Apple A11 chip is being tested. We haven't heard much about the possibility of a debut in 2020, though it's possible.

Although Apple already released iPad Pro models in 2020, some rumors claim that another generation with 5G support and mini-LED displays could be announced in the latter half of the year or early 2021. Alongside the iPad Pro, we expect Apple to release the very first batch of Apple Silicon Macs, which could include a 13.3-inch MacBook Pro and a refresh of the now-discontinued 12-inch MacBook.

"Apple Glass" has also previously been rumored for a 2020 release. Prosser has said that the product will cost $499 and could be compatible with prescriptions. Rather than a full-fledged AR replacement for an iPhone, the first-generation glasses would be designed to be an accessory to a smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    You mean “iphone 11s”. Why is everybody assuming “iPhone 12” and a break with naming conventions, apart from one or two exceptions, for more than ten years?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 42
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    roly said:
    You mean “iphone 11s”. Why is everybody assuming “iPhone 12” and a break with naming conventions, apart from one or two exceptions, for more than ten years?
    Because the widely leaked schematics and CAD designs show that the next iPhone will feature a different industrial design. Apple’s historic naming conventions have taught us that they bump to the next number (even skipping a number entirely with the ‘X’) when they make material changes to the industrial design. 
    randominternetpersonspock1234shark5150watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don’t know if there’s anything to this, but it sure would be nice to see a new breakthrough device from Apple soon.
    wonkothesanepbrutto
  • Reply 4 of 42
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I don’t know if there’s anything to this, but it sure would be nice to see a new breakthrough device from Apple soon.

Yes, I would love to see a 14" MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon and Face ID. Cheaper and possibly upgradeable RAM and SSD or am I asking too much.

I agree, Apple needs something breakthrough!

edited July 2020 SpamSandwichpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    I’m definitely excited to see the new iPhone Pro’s, as well as iPad Pro, assuming there is a further update this fall or early winter.  I’m less so excited about new Apple Silicon MacBook’s, Pro’s or otherwise, as I’ve already made the shift to working almost exclusively on my iPad Pro 12.9”.  The new iMac, whenever that gets released with Apple Silicon will be of interest, as a replacement for my aging early 2013 iMac 21.5” with Fusion Drive.  Not that it isn’t still plugging away, but I notice the lower resolution screen and it does tend to get overwhelmed when I have too many apps running at once.

It’s an exciting time to be an Apple fan.
    CluntBaby92spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    roly said:
    Whatever it is called I hope it has TouchID support on the screen.  If it does then it will be a big seller as lots of people will want it because they have to wear masks now.
    randominternetpersonCluntBaby92spock1234
  • Reply 7 of 42
    civaciva Posts: 78member
    dr. x said:

Yes, I would love to see a 14" MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon and Face ID. Cheaper and possibly upgradeable RAM and SSD or am I asking too much.

Not a fan of FaceID. I see it as invasive. 
    robaba
  • Reply 8 of 42
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    dr. x said:

How many years has it been since Apple released a MacBook Pro with upgradable RAM and SSD? June 2012. You're asking too much or beating a dead horse. Not sure which.
    Grayeaglemuthuk_vanalingammwhitespock1234neilmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    fahlman said:
    dr. x said:

How many years has it been since Apple released a MacBook Pro with upgradable RAM and SSD? June 2012. You're asking too much or beating a dead horse. Not sure which.
    Both
    Grayeaglemuthuk_vanalingamneilmdewme
  • Reply 10 of 42
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Dear serial leaker, more power to you if you are right otherwise you know how people on Internet will react/treat you. No offence but the same from the beginning of human race.
    Grayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    lkrupp said:
    fahlman said:
    dr. x said:

Both

Yeah but one can always hope though but I understand. Having to pay a lot of money front for all the upgrades is a pain. At least they could make the SSD upgradable like in the 2015 MacBook Airs but if they don't I guess I'll still purchase one of the new Silicon MacBook Pros depending on the specs as I'm rocking a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with upgraded RAM - 16GB and SSD 2TB which still works fine.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 42
    civa said:
    dr. x said:

Not a fan of FaceID. I see it as invasive. 

Invasive in what way? All data is stored on the device and no one can steal your identity. For me Face ID is faster over Touch ID as it unlocks every time (except when I'm wearing a mask due to covid) where Touch ID sometimes it worked and other times not.
    mwhiteCluntBaby92spock1234neilmStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This does not surprise me -- despite all the predictions saying the presentation and launch dates would be delayed weeks and months.
    Most of those predictions were projections on how the U.S. has managed (if one could call it that) the Corona virus.   But, both Apple and its suppliers are extremely capable and those suppliers have been up and operating for months.   Yes, it doesn't take much to take down a complicated supply chain.   But, my money is on Apple and its suppliers.

As Apple has said repeatedly:   it didn't pick those suppliers because they were cheap but because they are good!
    Grayeaglemuthuk_vanalingamspock1234Rayz2016dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    I'll just be happy to see  how the new iPhone 12 is configured. I need a replacement for the SE (2020) and one with 5G capability. 
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    k2kw said:
    roly said:
    Whatever it is called I hope it has TouchID support on the screen.  If it does then it will be a big seller as lots of people will want it because they have to wear masks now.
    Yes, I was happy to see TouchID replaced with FaceID, but that was before the pandemic.
    chaickaGrayeaglemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Grayeagle said:
    I'll just be happy to see  how the new iPhone 12 is configured. I need a replacement for the SE (2020) and one with 5G capability. 
    “Need” 5G? You mean for all those wonderful 5G networks everywhere?
    rotateleftbyteStrangeDaysGrayeagledewmewatto_cobraomar morales
  • Reply 17 of 42
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    roly said:
    Could be it due to the fact that the form factor and chassis design is going to change, due partly to 5G capabilities?
    I do not remember  having a form factor change within the 's' naming convention models.

The last era of naming convention has been partly broken when 8/8+ and X launch. There was no '8s' after that, only Xs/Xs Max. Then the naming convention changed to become just 11 without 'Pro', and the 'Pro' models.
    edited July 2020 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 42
    neilm said:
    Grayeagle said:
    “Need” 5G? You mean for all those wonderful 5G networks everywhere?
    the 2020 iPhone SE is what? 3 or 4 months old and you need a replacement? Sigh. Shakes head in amazment. Why did you buy it in the firts place when you knew that it didn't have 5G?

4G is still iffy where I live and 5G coming to my neck of the woods is like sighting a Pink Unicorn before (or after) breakfast.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 42
    I'm on the iPhone Upgrade program and will be moving up to the 12 Pro Max. I treat the upgrade program like a rental program, though that plan is often bollixed up by a family member wanting my old phone.

In this case, my wife is waiting eagerly for my next phone purchase (or my demise) so she can get her hands on my 11 Pro Max.

Note to others: if you're going to keep your old phone and you're on the upgrade program, pay off your Citizen's One loan now. One time I waited moving from the 7 Plus to the X until the last minute and everything was locked down and I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the loan unlocked so I could pay it off and they wouldn't be expecting the old phone back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Damn that is one good looking phone.

$$ at the ready...
    watto_cobra