Trump demands TikTok sell U.S. arm by September 15 or cease operation

Posted:
in General Discussion
Trump continues to push back against the China-owned TikTok, giving the company a hard date to sell to a U.S. company before forcing the video service to shut down its operations in the U.S.

Trump demands TikTok sell U.S. arm by September 15 or cease operation

On Friday, President Trump told reporters that TikTok was facing an immediate ban, heightening tensions between the U.S. and China once more.

At the time, Trump did not have an exact date. However, on Monday, he went on to clarify that the company would have until September 15 to sell to a U.S. owned company, or the service would be banned in the U.S.

"I don't mind whether it's Microsoft or someone else, a big company, a secure company, a very American company buys it," Trump told reporters at the White House, according to Bloomberg. "It'll close down on September 15 unless Microsoft or somebody else is able to buy it and work out a deal, an appropriate deal, so the Treasury of the United States gets a lot of money."

It isn't clear what the president was referring to, in regards to the Treasury deposit.

Microsoft has announced that they are currently in talks to purchase the short-form video platform following a discussion between Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and President Trump. If Microsoft were to purchase TikTok's U.S. arm, they would likely subject the app to a full security review.

The company stated that they would continue to build on the experience that TikTok users currently love, but heighten security, privacy, and digital safety protections. Microsoft is also looking into purchasing the Canadian, Australian, and New Zeland branches of the company.

If TikTok is not sold to a U.S. company, it is assumed that the Trump administration will attempt to move forward with a ban. While the banning method is currently unknown, it is likely to be made either under an executive order or a barring of the app as part of the International Economic Powers Act.

TikTok has been under fire recently for "clipboard snooping" after an iOS 14 beta feature uncovered how frequently the app was accessing a users clipboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    A lot of apps were snooping on the clipboard looking for links that could be opened in the app. Thankfully this practice is ending. I would be fine if Apple allowed a TikTok URL to be read if that is all that was on it. Allowing any potentially sensitive data to be read is really bad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 46
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Just wait for China to force Apple/Tesla/amazon to sell their Chinese arm of service.

i hate Chinese government and Taitok. But this is no way a fair deal.
    ronnlkruppmuthuk_vanalingamCiprolthtjony0FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Come on guys.

Trump continues to push back against the...”

It’s “President Trump”.
    beeble42mobirdlkruppcat52patchythepiraterazorpitLoneStar88
  • Reply 4 of 46
    ronnronn Posts: 652member
    "I don't mind whether it's Microsoft or someone else, a big company, a secure company, a very American company buys it," Trump told reporters at the White House, according to Bloomberg. "It'll close down on September 15 unless Microsoft or somebody else is able to buy it and work out a deal, an appropriate deal, so the Treasury of the United States gets a lot of money. :D 

What a maroon! This will only ramp up the trade war with China to the detriment of US companies and consumers. 
    BeatsCiprolwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    netlingnetling Posts: 74member
    viclauyyc said:
    Just wait for China to force Apple/Tesla/amazon to sell their Chinese arm of service.

China hasn't allowed or kick out; Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple US servers (All Apple Server must be located in China for Chinese users), Amazon only through allowing exporting they killed Amazon China internally, the list goes on and on and on...  You see China has been GAMING the USA for a long time and Obama, Bush, Democrats, and Republicans have been played!  POTUS is the FIRST president to stand up against them and we need to because they plan on bankrupting us by allowing China brands to overtake U.S. owed brands and are getting away with it.  Amazon has become China bit*h and is the Alibaba of the USA.  Lookup the China UN postal treaty and see how the USA taxpayers subsidize China Post to mail goods from China.  China government subsidies shipping to the USA and we the taxpayer pay to delivered address.  I can ship from Shenzen China to you CHEAPER than I can send from Any USA address to you!!!!!? WTF!
    anantksundaramSpamSandwichbeeble42mobirdbluefire1GG1lkruppcat52patchythepiraterazorpit
  • Reply 6 of 46
    netling said:
    viclauyyc said:

China hasn't allowed or kick out; Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple US servers (All Apple Server must be located in China for Chinese users), Amazon only through allowing exporting they killed Amazon China internally, the list goes on and on and on...  You see China has been GAMING the USA for a long time and Obama, Bush, Democrats, and Republicans have been played!  POTUS is the FIRST president to stand up against them and we need to because they plan on bankrupting us by allowing China brands to overtake U.S. owed brands and are getting away with it.  Amazon has become China bit*h and is the Alibaba of the USA.  Lookup the China UN postal treaty and see how the USA taxpayers subsidize China Post to mail goods from China.  China government subsidies shipping to the USA and we the taxpayer pay to delivered address.  I can ship from Shenzen China to you CHEAPER than I can send from Any USA address to you!!!!!? WTF!
    Yes!
    cat52patchythepiraterazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 46
    ronn said:

What a maroon! This will only ramp up the trade war with China to the detriment of US companies and consumers. 
    But what about US workers, small industrial towns ravaged by opioid addiction, and the many hundreds of entrepreneurs and companies whose IP has yet-to-be stolen? How will they do?
    beeble42SpamSandwichcat52patchythepiraterazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Huh, I reread Article II of the Constitution and I couldn't find which executive power would allow this.  The closest thing is the tail end of Article II Section 3 that says "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed."  I wonder what law asked the President to mandate artificial deadlines for foreign companies to change their (legal) business practices.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 46
    I think people need to consider the possibility that the Trump White House was told that Microsoft was in talks to acquire Tik Tok and simply came up with a political strategy to exploit it, i.e., Trump pretending that he's responsible for it. That certainly fits the standard MO for the current White House. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingamRayz2016jony0FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    Come on guys.

”Trump continues to push back against the...”

It’s “President Trump”.
    1) Referring to the president solely by last name is explicitly allowed by AP. And, we did so in the headline, and lede, with "President Trump" in the body text of the story.

2) Did you have any question about who in particular in the family we were referring to?

If you're seeing some kind of sleight here, you're seeing ghosts.

This avenue of conversation has concluded here in the forums. If you have any further comment on the matter, feel free to DM me.
    edited August 2020 ronntmayelijahgh4y3sSpamSandwichroundaboutnowRayz2016viclauyycjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 46
    What an idiot...him deciding to 'ban' apps? WHat's next, he 'bans' newspapers? This is ridiculous and sad. He's a frightened man-child.
    ronnSpamSandwichlkrupprbc-4viclauyycrandominternetpersonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I bet the anti-Apple uproar won't happen this time around. People pretended to hate Trump and the U.S. when Huawei was involved. Unless idiot Americans can find an excuse again to hate Apple then suddenly they will become Chinese patriots again. China has showed their true colors and crippled our economy by hiding Covid-19 so Huawei or any other Chinese knockoff brand isn't getting the same praise from the typical Apple hating herd.

Funny times.
    Come on guys.

”Trump continues to push back against the...”

It’s “President Trump”.

#NotMyPresident

/s
  • Reply 13 of 46
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    Huh, I reread Article II of the Constitution and I couldn't find which executive power would allow this.  The closest thing is the tail end of Article II Section 3 that says "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed."  I wonder what law asked the President to mandate artificial deadlines for foreign companies to change their (legal) business practices.
    You and I know the current President could care less about the Constitution and probably hasn't even read the first page of it. He continues to act like a CEO without any regard to laws. He gets away with things because nobody is willing to stop him no matter how many laws he breaks.
    ronnlkrupptmaymuthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowrandominternetpersonjony0FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 46
    "It'll close down on September 15 unless Microsoft or somebody else is able to buy it and work out a deal, an appropriate deal, so the Treasury of the United States gets a lot of money."

Huh? How does that even work? United States Treasure Department getting a lot of money? What legal basis is this on?
  • Reply 15 of 46
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member
    Hey lets piss off the main target audience, people between the ages of 16 and 24. That leaves a good portion of them able to vote in November.
    avon b7FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    viclauyyc said:

Spaying it is not fair deal either
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    As TikTok represents a security risk to Americans, he can probably use his authority as Commander-in-Chief to classify it as such and ban it from the US, just like he could use his presidential authority to have a terrorist targeted or banned from entering the US. 

And if that doesn’t pass constitutional muster, I suspect as the head of the Executive Branch of the Federal government, he has wide latitude to issue an executive order to ban them. And the fact that they are a China-based app overlaps with foreign policy, which he theoretically has the authority “by and with the consent of the Senate” (which is controlled by Republicans right now, unlike the House) to determine if ANY overseas-based apps should be allowed in the US.
    edited August 2020 cat52h4y3spatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 46
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    So much for the US pushing other countries for free market 
    Then the US makes ultimatums like this
    so it’s free market, but only if it benefits the US
    thats not a free market
    lkruppmuthuk_vanalingamRayz2016FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    JinTech said:
    Hey lets piss off the main target audience, people between the ages of 16 and 24. That leaves a good portion of them able to vote in November.
    Their opinions on national security are irrelevant.
    cat52razorpit
  • Reply 20 of 46

kmarei said:
    So much for the US pushing other countries for free market 
    Then the US makes ultimatums like this
    so it’s free market, but only if it benefits the US
    thats not a free market
    Markets of nearly every kind are regulated in the US. Spare me the handwringing.
    cat52razorpitwatto_cobra