Apple about to release seven iPads, eight 'Apple Watch Series 6' models

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Seven new variations of iPad, and eight varieties of the "Apple Watch Series 6" have now been listed on the Eurasian Economic Commission's website, which typically means they are shortly to be released.

Apple Watch
Apple Watch Series 6 mockups

As previously rumored, the "Apple Watch Series 6" and new iPads are now expected to be soon released by Apple, following a listing on the Eurasian Economic Commission's regulatory database. A total of seven new iPad SKUs -- so one or more models with multiple configurations -- and eight Apple Watches are listed.

The new filings with the EEC found by Consomac show the iPads as running iPadOS 14. Similarly, the Watches are all shown as running watchOS 7.

While the EEC listings never contain any more specific details, each entry has its own Apple identification number. At times, models can be re-listed on the database following some unspecified changes, but none of the ones listed now have previously been filed.

"Apple Watch Series 6" model numbers

• A2291
  • A2292
  • A2351
  • A2352
  • A2375
  • A2376
  • A2355
  • A2356

New iPad model numbers

• A2270
  • A2072
  • A2316
  • A2324
  • A2325
  • A2428
  • A2429
All Apple devices must be listed on the EEC database before they are released, however a listing does not guarantee that a device is coming. It would be unlikely for Apple to reach this stage in a product's release and then change its mind, but it could happen.

Also there is no clear timeframe from a listing to a final release. However, for example, a similar listing for new iPads in July 2019 was followed by their release in September.

So a listing in August would be line with Apple releasing new iPads and Apple Watches in September or October. Apple has previously said that its regular iPhone launch -- which has previously also seen new Apple Watches -- will be delayed a few weeks.

These listed iPads and Apple Watches may then be revealed at an October event. However, recent reports have claimed that the "Apple Watch Series 6" may be launched via a press release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yes! Need a new iPad Pro and will finally get an Apple Watch.
    patchythepirateJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Why is Appleinsider including a picture of the Fitbit Sense on an Apple Watch article?   :D :D
    foregoneconclusion80s_Apple_GuyllamaRayz2016ramanpfafflkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Hm. For context, this is the similar news from 2019: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08/21/huge-array-of-new-iphones-apple-watch-and-ipad-models-revealed-by-regulatory-filings

only four model numbers were registered:
    A2156 40mm GPS/Cellular
    A2157 44mm GPS/Cellular
    A2092 40mm GPS
    A2093 44mm GPS

Different materials (aluminum, steel, tungsten or whatever) in the same form factor share the same model number. If there is any truth to the rumor of a plastic model, it appears that they will also be a different enough internals to double the number of regulatory filings.

I almost said different enough form factors… but who knows? 
    edited August 2020 XedramanpfaffAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Standing by for the Apple Watch Series 6. I do hope it’s a good upgrade over the Series 5 which was a very lacklustre release compared against the 4.

My Series 1 is feeling it’s age now!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 49
    oh, here's a good guess: Apple Watch Lite*, replaces the Series 3 as the "cheap" one in the lineup; plastic case, drops ECG and blood-oxygen, starts from $199, two sizes, cellular and wifi models. Done.

* yeah of course they'd never call it that
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Why is Appleinsider including a picture of the Fitbit Sense on an Apple Watch article?   :D :D
    ?

That doesn't look anything like the Fitbit Sense.
    ronnDogpersonfastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 49
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    That watch from the render images is getting rounder. At this pace it will probably take another 3-5 years before a full circle will be achieved to make it look like a real watch and not like a tasteless children watch as it is right now. 
    edited August 2020 Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 49
    ?

... to me.  You forgot to add "to me".  Maybe that was implied, idk.  They definitely look similar to me.  Regardless, it was an obvious joke about the similarity between the Sense and the mockup.  Hence the emoji.
    cornchipBeatsentropysurahara
  • Reply 9 of 49
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    oh, here's a good guess: Apple Watch Lite*, replaces the Series 3 as the "cheap" one in the lineup; plastic case, drops ECG and blood-oxygen, starts from $199, two sizes, cellular and wifi models. Done.

* yeah of course they'd never call it that
    How about ' Watch - Youth Edition'  ;)
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Odds that one of the iPad models could be larger than 12.9"? 
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 49
    ?

I thought it looked more like a Fitbit product than an Apple Watch as well 🤷‍♂️ 
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Apple watch "Sport" edition perhaps. Or maybe just regular apple watch and "pro".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Does fitbit sense have a crown dial thing? This looks like an Apple Watch with a form factor like the rumored iphone...
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    johnbear said:
    That watch from the render images is getting rounder. At this pace it will probably take another 3-5 years before a full circle will be achieved to make it look like a real watch and not like a tasteless children watch as it is right now. 
    Lol, you mean like this?

razorpitfastasleepjony0iqatedoStrangeDaysuraharawatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 16 of 49
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    saarek said:
    Standing by for the Apple Watch Series 6. I do hope it’s a good upgrade over the Series 5 which was a very lacklustre release compared against the 4.

My Series 1 is feeling it’s age now!
    Wait, you think the 5 was lackluster and you're wearing a Series 1?  :o

johnbear
    said:
    We get it. You don't understand how screen optimization works. 
    edited August 2020 llamaronnRayz2016Beatsjdb8167jony0seanjcaladanianiqatedoStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Wait, that wouldn’t include a new 12’9 iPad Pro, would it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Seven new variations of iPad, and eight varieties of the "Apple Watch Series 6" Why, for heavens sake!?! This goes right back to the pre-Job's-return 90's when Apple was pushing a bevy of differently configured Macs, losing money on all of them. Too many choices is not good for sales and a logistical nightmare in terms of product distribution, parts supply, manufacturing, and support. That's why Steve Jobs, first thing on his return, massively trimmed Macs and MacBooks to a base model and a pro model each. If this trend keeps up, I see trouble down the line as the Apple brand gets "cheapened".
    ramanpfaffseanjDAalseth
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Hank2.0 said:
    Seven new variations of iPad, and eight varieties of the "Apple Watch Series 6" 
    Why, for heavens sake!?! This goes right back to the pre-Job's-return 90's when Apple was pushing a bevy of differently configured Macs, losing money on all of them. Too many choices is not good for sales and blah blah blah
    That's sort of an Apples and Oranges (pardon the pun) comparison, though. Even when Jobs cleaned up the lineup, there was still a bevy of SKUs for different screen sizes, different CPU/RAM configurations, etc.

The iPad as it exists today is pretty simple: a Mini consumer model, a normal consumer model, and a Pro model in two sizes. Whatever gets announced next month, that looks to be unchanged.

The Watch is pretty simple too: the new one in two sizes, and the old one in two sizes. "the old one" looks like it'll be replaced with "the affordable plastic one," otherwise no change.

Yes, there's a mess of SKUs because of the cellular option, but it's still a pretty simple lineup.
    ronnrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Do cellular and non-cellular get different SKU? I assume they do.

There are currently five different ipads, ipad, mini, air, pro11 & pro12.9
    So if they were updating all ipads, why not 10 SKUs?

7 is an odd number, so does this mean one ipad variant can’t have cellular?

If there were 8 SKUs that would make sense to me, ipad and ipad air combine and update all sizes/models to avoid the feature/value discrepancy that will exist if they don’t upgrade all the models at once.

I see this year as a good opportunity to align product refreshes across the board annually (like iPhone) with the incoming Apple Silicon Macs.

But maybe we will get new ipad mini, ipad and ipad air in wifi and cellular versions with and an extra pad air with 5G

watto_cobra