New Apple Watch Series 6 has blood oxygen sensor & bright new colors

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 160
    My Series 3 broke about 2 months ago and I’ve really missed having access to my Apple Watch daily. I upgraded to the Series 3 from Series 0 and it made me love my Ape Watch. This is perfect timing for me. I need a new watch & my birthday is in October. Going to have to splurge on myself for the Series 6 LTE. 
    lolliverwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 22 of 160
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    elijahg said:
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    If they did that there'd be nothing new in the new models, it is disappointing though I agree.
    It's disappointing they can't go back in time and add new hardware sensors to older models lacking those sensors? I really have to scratch my head at what disappoints people sometimes...
    The old sensors right back to series 0 could support blood oxygen readings.
  • Reply 23 of 160

    mike1 said:
    elijahg said:
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    If they did that there'd be nothing new in the new models, it is disappointing though I agree.
    It's disappointing they can't go back in time and add new hardware sensors to older models lacking those sensors? I really have to scratch my head at what disappoints people sometimes...
    Well, that's obvious. However, there was talk that the sensors were already built in but that they could not offer that feature yet. That's all.
    Of course, there would be no disappointment, even minimal, if it was always known that that the capability required new sensors.
    Previous models get VO2 Max with watchOS later which is maybe what the rumors pointed to?

    Talking about measuring VO2 Max levels, and how Watch OS 7 can measure VO2 Max. Coming later this year, you can receive warnings for low VO2 max levels.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 160
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    Earlier models don’t have the sensors. These Watches aren’t magic, you know. They are engineered for specific functions.
    watto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 25 of 160

    dbvapor said:
    Same design?  This thing looks like the original iPad.  It’s design is looking old and tired.  I was really hoping for a redesign.  The current watch is too bulky and looks ancient compared to iPhone 11.  My question is.. does the Apple Watch still try to connect to the iPhone for everything even when it’s not nearby?  It’s so annoying.  If my phone is on a charger and I’m on the other side of the house I can’t sent a text.  It sucks.  
    Somebody needs a nap and a juice box!
    pscooter63Beatsmike1GG1melgrossStrangeDayseriamjhlolliverwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 26 of 160
    Pretty much the worst September event; meager hardware upgrades and bundling a few services that aren't moving the dial.  
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 27 of 160

    I am getting it no matter what (part of the every-other-year cycle). But I really wanted a battery life metric. Also, WTF was the lady talking about with “no power adapter”?
    No 5W charger brick with the puck/cord. Fine by me! My only hope is the cord is USB-C!

    And it’s Miss Jackson if you’re nasty. 
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 28 of 160
    This is the Watch I’ll buy. The blood oximeter function sells it.
    BeatsGG1bageljoeyanantksundaramlolliverpatchythepiratewatto_cobratmayjahblade
  • Reply 29 of 160
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,265member
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    Earlier models don’t have the sensors. These Watches aren’t magic, you know. They are engineered for specific functions.
    As I stated earlier, there was talk that the sensors were already built in but that they could not offer that feature yet. That's all. Of course, there would be no disappointment, even minimal, if it was always known that that the capability required new sensors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 160
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    They briefly mentioned Covid-19. How accurate is this for DETECTING a new infection in users? I'm guessing they would have drove that point home if it were accurate.
    Low blood oxygen isn’t only related to COVID-19, they started on this feature long before that was even a thing. Not to mention FDA regulations, you can’t “detect” a virus based on a singular symptom.

    I figured. Just thought Tim Cook would go overdrive on engineering to get it on the market ASAP.

    The FDA would definitely hate any "detection" but I thought they could alert you on the possibility like a notification saying "You are showing symptoms of Covid-19. Tap here for details and recommended measures to take" To avoid violating laws.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,265member

    I am getting it no matter what (part of the every-other-year cycle). But I really wanted a battery life metric. Also, WTF was the lady talking about with “no power adapter”?
    No 5W charger brick with the puck/cord. Fine by me! My only hope is the cord is USB-C!

    And it’s Miss Jackson if you’re nasty. 

    Actually, I believe it will still include the cable/puck. Just not the adaptor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 160
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    If they did that there'd be nothing new in the new models, it is disappointing though I agree.
    It's disappointing they can't go back in time and add new hardware sensors to older models lacking those sensors? I really have to scratch my head at what disappoints people sometimes...
    The old sensors right back to series 0 could support blood oxygen readings.

    So what is the new sensor for? Possibly for a feature to be released in 4 years?




    /s (obviously)
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 160
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Beats said:
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    If they did that there'd be nothing new in the new models, it is disappointing though I agree.
    It's disappointing they can't go back in time and add new hardware sensors to older models lacking those sensors? I really have to scratch my head at what disappoints people sometimes...
    The old sensors right back to series 0 could support blood oxygen readings.

    So what is the new sensor for? Possibly for a feature to be released in 4 years?




    /s (obviously)
    Improved blood oxygen sensing (obviously). 
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 34 of 160
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,889member
    Blood oxygen levels are also useful for those with worsening COVID19 cases. Not sure if Apple's works like finger pulse oximeters, but those can be used to tell you when to go in to a hospital for oxygen treatment (my brother and his wife had COVID bad and had to do this, the treatment saved their lives):

    https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2020/aug/can-an-oximeter-help-detect-covid-19-at-home/
    To m knowledge, all pulse oximeters use the same principle of differential wavelength absorption by oxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin. There are some other nuances, but it’s all based on the same principle. 
    GG1SpamSandwichelijahgcyberzombiewatto_cobratmayjahblade
  • Reply 35 of 160
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    markbyrn said:
    Pretty much the worst September event; meager hardware upgrades and bundling a few services that aren't moving the dial.  

    Apple has so many announcements that they couldn't fit them into one event. It's not like this is the last event of the year. You're comparing this half to the iPhone events it seems. There is still a second act with Macs and iPhone. Exciting times!

    elijahg said:
    Beats said:
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    mike1 said:
    A little disappointed that the blood oxygen monitor can't be activated in earlier models as was rumored.
    If they did that there'd be nothing new in the new models, it is disappointing though I agree.
    It's disappointing they can't go back in time and add new hardware sensors to older models lacking those sensors? I really have to scratch my head at what disappoints people sometimes...
    The old sensors right back to series 0 could support blood oxygen readings.

    So what is the new sensor for? Possibly for a feature to be released in 4 years?




    /s (obviously)
    Improved blood oxygen sensing (obviously). 

    There's your answer.
    StrangeDayseriamjhlolliverwatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 36 of 160
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,889member

    Beats said:
    They briefly mentioned Covid-19. How accurate is this for DETECTING a new infection in users? I'm guessing they would have drove that point home if it were accurate.
    Low blood oxygen isn’t only related to COVID-19, they started on this feature long before that was even a thing. Not to mention FDA regulations, you can’t “detect” a virus based on a singular symptom.
    Agreed - hypoxia is a symptom of the viral pneumonia that COVID frequently causes but it’s completely separate from the actual viral infection, and many people are infected without actually getting significantly hypoxic. 
    entropyslarryjwwatto_cobraJFC_PAtmayjahblade
  • Reply 37 of 160
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,011member
    supadav03 said:
    My Series 3 broke about 2 months ago and I’ve really missed having access to my Apple Watch daily. I upgraded to the Series 3 from Series 0 and it made me love my Ape Watch. This is perfect timing for me. I need a new watch & my birthday is in October. Going to have to splurge on myself for the Series 6 LTE. 
    My birthday is in October as well and plan on getting one of these for a birthday present to self!
    SpamSandwichlolliverjahblade
  • Reply 38 of 160
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    They briefly mentioned Covid-19. How accurate is this for DETECTING a new infection in users? I'm guessing they would have drove that point home if it were accurate.
    Low blood oxygen isn’t only related to COVID-19, they started on this feature long before that was even a thing. Not to mention FDA regulations, you can’t “detect” a virus based on a singular symptom.

    I figured. Just thought Tim Cook would go overdrive on engineering to get it on the market ASAP.

    The FDA would definitely hate any "detection" but I thought they could alert you on the possibility like a notification saying "You are showing symptoms of Covid-19. Tap here for details and recommended measures to take" To avoid violating laws.
    That statement would be illegal. You cannot allow people to self diagnose disease with consumer electronics. Not sure how else to explain this. 
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 160
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Did it sound like the aluminum is their top model!? I.e., no stainless steel, etc.?
    No, at their site the SS and titanium models are shown. I just ordered a series 6 in black SS (again). But now the black costs the same as the silver and gold finishes. I looked for a while to see if it mentioned the previous carbon diamond finish, but couldn’t find anything about that.  It just said that the case is “durable”. I guess I’ll just have to find out when it comes.
    jdb8167SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 160

    mike1 said:

    I am getting it no matter what (part of the every-other-year cycle). But I really wanted a battery life metric. Also, WTF was the lady talking about with “no power adapter”?
    No 5W charger brick with the puck/cord. Fine by me! My only hope is the cord is USB-C!

    And it’s Miss Jackson if you’re nasty. 

    Actually, I believe it will still include the cable/puck. Just not the adaptor.
    That’s what I meant. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.