Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 61 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    I'm not seeing a problem. Are you suggesting that they shouldn't use L and R?

Why not look at what headphones use right now? I looked at the French pages for AirPods Max and they still show L and R despite that languages having different words for left and right, as I recall.

All I've ever seen is L and R so it's either universally understand or they use a different label if and when they sell headphones in another country.

The most important question that should've crossed your mind before posting is what has Apple been doing for the hundreds of millions of headphones they've been selling for decades.
    edited December 2020 ronnkiltedgreenthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 250
    According to the Apple press release, "AirPods Max require Apple devices running iOS 14.3 or later, iPadOS 14.3 or later, macOS Big Sur 11.1 or later, watchOS 7.2 or later, or tvOS 14.3 or later." Since AirPods Max availability begins Tuesday, December 15, apparently we can expect all those OS upgrades to drop on December 15 as well. Apple Fitness+ was rumored to become available with iOS 14.3, so December 15 will be another newsworthy day for Apple watchers.
    ronnSpamSandwichphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    tipoo said:
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 
    I love the use of the Digital Crown—and recently made a suggesting as to how I think that would be useful on headphones—but I agree that the placement seems inconvenient and awkward to use.
    Gabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 250
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,676member
    MacPro said:
    I am sure these are aimed at professional studios, they will be followed next year by a lower-cost version for the great unwashed.
    I don't know. I see an awful lot of Audio-Technica and Sony studio headphones that sell for a fraction of these (AT has a 5-pack for $300), at least when I view videos of in-studio and live recordings. No doubt some folks will use these for professional use, and it's not like there aren't professional grade studio monitors that approach these in price, but I think Apple is aiming squarely at delivering an aspirational product for well heeled consumers who want a impressively engineered, high quality, attractive, luxurious personal item rather than a workhorse tool. 

I'm glad that Apple revealed these because I've been holding off on buying a new set of over the ear ANC headphones until I saw what Apple was going to do. I passed on all the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on Sony, Bose, and Beats ANC offerings because I was willing to spend a little more for something newer with superior engineering behind it, which I assumed Apple would deliver. I don't have to wonder any more. Here they are, and they're $549 smackers and very shiny.

Apple apparently delivered on the engineering side (pending a real test drive), and obviously delivered on the materials and design quality side as well. Unfortunately, I personally do not place a whole lot of weight on the design and aesthetics compared to the sound. I'm very wary of overt signaling and conspicuous consumption and could never wear these things in public - way too pretentious, not in a Beats way, but in a "look at me - I have money blowing out of my ass" sort of way. So I'm probably a very good candidate for the "unwashed masses" version (AirPods Max UM) that you mentioned. If the UMs have black plastic ear cups and somewhat less opulent materials, and a lower price that's in line with the competition, they'd definitely be on my short list. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to sound quality, which you have to be if you're listening to compressed audio formats, so even though I have some reasonably good headphones I'm not above strapping on my classic Koss PortaPros because they actually sound amazing for the price if you can tolerate the cheap and dorky look. 

The final point is that these have batteries and those batteries will eventually have to be replaced. When and at what cost?
    GG1
  • Reply 65 of 250
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,133member
    Like with the home pod (and just about everything else that is new from Apple) the price will come down. This becomes a maybe for me at about $249. I'd be more excited if the design had a behind the head feature. Give it some time, the prices drop after Apple reaps max profits. Besides, one of my major use cases for these things is airline travel, and well...that ain't happening for some time.
    mike1
  • Reply 66 of 250
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    urahara said:
     Lightning connector - why???

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their 
    house on the streets or for jogging.

I was waiting for Apple to release this headphones.
    But because of the lightning connector and price difference I would go with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.
    Because there are perhaps over a billion more iPhones/iPads in the world than Macs ever made.

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 250
    If Apple had prices these out of the gate, at $349, they would be a run away hit. At $549, they will sell only to the most devoted Apple enthusiast. Also, as others have pointed out these would be great for airline travel which ain't happening much right now...
  • Reply 68 of 250
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 

Maybe if it's not a finger touching the knob, it won't do anything. Not sure yet, but possible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 250
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    edited December 2020 muthuk_vanalingamdewmewilliamlondonrazorpit80s_Apple_Guydavgreg
  • Reply 70 of 250
    I'm glad they didn't put giant Apple logos on the earpieces.
    dewme
  • Reply 71 of 250
    Xed said:
    It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?

The most important question that should've crossed your mind before posting is what has Apple been doing for the hundreds of millions of headphones they've been selling for decades.
    Slight modification to your query...

The most important question that should've crossed your mind before posting is what has Apple and everyone else been doing for the hundreds of millions of headphones they've been selling for decades.

muthuk_vanalingamfastasleepronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 250
    sevenfeet said:

Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.

There's a $35 Lightning to 3.5mm cable available from Apple. Probably will be cheaper versions from others, if there aren't already.
    pmhfastasleepronnroundaboutnowwatto_cobrambenz1962
  • Reply 73 of 250
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,676member
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

You're almost right. Apple should have simply removed the L/R entirely and made the right ear cup Green and the left ear cup Red, thereby conforming the internationally unambiguous nautical Rules of the Road for Starboard and Port ship lighting and navigation channel markers. This would prevent rules compliant users around the world from donning the headphones incorrectly, and all disputes could be settled by the local Coast Guard in the affected countries. Wa la - no more language related ambiguity! How does that sound, matey? 
    muthuk_vanalingammike1fastasleepGG1kiltedgreenwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 74 of 250
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,416member
    Can I replace the battery or are we expected to throw them away like AirPods?  Or is there an expensive battery replacement fee?   My noise canceling headset has a AAA battery that can be easily swapped.  
    If your AAA powered headset sounds as good as these headphones, you don't need worry about high fidelity sound. ;)
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 75 of 250
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,069member
    Oh, to have been a fly on the wall for this AirPods Max product development meeting:

"Okay, let's price them in the stratosphere: $549. Now what about a protective case?"
    "Who needs protection? It's only $549. It's not like they're spending $999 for an Apple Pro Display Stand. Let's just put 'em in a sports bra that leaves the whole headband exposed to damage."
    "A sports bra?"
    "Well... it's a SMART sports bra."
    "Ahhhhhh, great idea! SOLD!" 

Pro tip to Apple: When global mockery of your design choice becomes the defining reaction to a new product release, maybe that wasn't the best choice.  But I'm sure the third party case manufacturers are celebrating today!

williamlondonsvanstrom
  • Reply 76 of 250
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,528member
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

Oh wow, man, that sucks about the mics! Thank goodness you're here to correct both the article and Apple's website.

Another thing that really sucks about these things is no user upgradable RAM. I mean WTF? 
    pmhRayz2016ronnanantksundaramwilliamlondonwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 250
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,069member

dewme said:

The final point is that these have batteries and those batteries will eventually have to be replaced. When and at what cost?
    $79 unless you have Apple Care+. But it seems unlikely that you'd burn through batteries in the 2 years of Apple Care+ coverage. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 250
    pmhpmh Posts: 18member

Before commenting, did you think to yourself "why don't people complain that the Digital Crown on iWatches keeps getting triggered by their shirtsleeve?". Naah, that'd be thinking and thinking is hard for some people.

Apple took the digital crown from the iWatch for the Airpods Max. Digital crowns, like iPhone screen are capacitative, so unless you're wearing a shirt with conducive threads for the iWatch or pillow cases with same for the Max aren't triggered by just being brushed with fabric. Try thinking harder before posting and wasting everyone's time in the future.

Or, you could just slap yourself on the forehead if that's what gets you to think.
    edited December 2020 ronnanantksundaramwilliamlondonkiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 250

So you, who haven't used or even seen this in person, believe that you'd found a fatal flaw in the design of the product.  Is your theory that no one in the design process ever thought to test lying down or having to change the volume quickly?  I'm willing to bet cash money that your concerns are ill-founded.

If you'd asked, "I wonder how this design handles lying down and avoiding accidental volume changes?" I'd be right there with you.  But that's not how you expressed it.

And I doubt that it will be THE MOST USED function.  I expect most people will control volume the same way we do now, on the device or watch or whatever.  And if the noise canceling works, why would one have the change the volume ever (theoretically)?
    edited December 2020 ronnanantksundaramwilliamlondonwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 80 of 250
    dewme said:

You're almost right. Apple should have simply removed the L/R entirely and made the right ear cup Green and the left ear cup Red, thereby conforming the internationally unambiguous nautical Rules of the Road for Starboard and Port ship lighting and navigation channel markers. This would prevent rules compliant users around the world from donning the headphones incorrectly, and all disputes could be settled by the local Coast Guard in the affected countries. Wa la - no more language related ambiguity! How does that sound, matey? 

Wait, I thought red means stop and green means go. Are you telling me it means something different on the water? Would the L/R orientation then be the same if I was in plane or on a train. Or is it just on a boat. I'm so confused. LOL
    muthuk_vanalingamronnwatto_cobra