Smaller Mac Pro, 2021 iMac redesign with color options shown off by prolific leaker

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2021
Apple is expected to release a smaller Mac Pro and a redesigned 24-inch iMac with Apple Silicon processors in 2021, and Jon Prosser has shared what they may look like.

The colorful iMac lineup from <a href=@cconceptcreator" height="368" />
The colorful iMac lineup from @cconceptcreator

Rumors have suggested that the Mac Pro would be updated for the M-series processor to be about "half the size" of the current Mac Pro. The iMac has been expected to receive some kind of edge-to-edge display redesign similar to iPad Pro.

Well known leaker Jon Prosser shared renders of the products based on descriptions and images leaked to him. The first is the small Mac Pro described as a G4 Cube-like concept with a compute unit on the bottom and heat sink on top.

The small Mac Pro from <a href=@cconceptcreator" height="368" />
The small Mac Pro from @cconceptcreator

The second leak pertains to the iMac redesign. The images show an edge-to-edge display and colors similar to the iPad Air. Prosser notes that the renders have the current I/O on the back, but that was only for the renders. He has not seen the back of the redesigned iMacs.

Space Gray iMac render from <a href=@cconceptcreator" height="368" />
Space Gray iMac render from @cconceptcreator

The iMac redesign has been described as a mix between the Pro Display XDR and iPad Pro. The new iMac isn't expected to contain features like Face ID despite the redesign.

An edge-to-edge iMac render from <a href=@ccomceptcreator" height="368" />
An edge-to-edge iMac render from @ccomceptcreator

Prosser described the leaked Macs as "prototypes" so there isn't any indication of when they could be released. With a March event still in question, the likely release window is in late 2021.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    Previously there were rumours of a standalone Apple display, but there's no mention of that here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 122
    Keys for the new Apple Car, too.
    h4y3sdbvaporDetnatordewmeDAalsethminicoffeewonkothesaneMplsPtokyojimuFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Smaller (cheaper) Mac Pro might be the fabled xMac??! We can but dream...
    gregoriusmblastdoorargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 122
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    No chin, at last!

But I've had it with all-in-ones. I'll never buy a desktop Mac with the screen glued onto it again. 
    muthuk_vanalingamomasoumike54dysamoriadarkvaderdanox
  • Reply 5 of 122
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

But I've had it with all-in-ones. I'll never buy a desktop Mac with the screen glued onto it again. 
    What Apple computer (desktop or portable) is serviceable/upgradeable except the $6000 Mac Pro?  I guess you aren't buying anything Apple!
    lolliverJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 122
    A smaller (and cheaper) Mac Pro would be interesting, especially if it was upgradable (RAM, SSD etc).  
    The problem is that the MBP is so powerful nowadays that the need for a desktop for the average user is low.  I'm more likely to buy a new laptop and recycle my existing one as a pseudo desktop attached to displays.  That's the current setup I have for my media server.  Previously I had a G4 Mac tower then a Mac mini, but compared to them the first gen MBP retina is way more capable and has a built in battery backup in case the power goes out.
    BTW I am waiting for the 16 inch M1 MBP to come out.  Hopefully it won't be until June.
    edited February 2021 StrangeDayswatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 122
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

What Apple computer (desktop or portable) is serviceable/upgradeable except the $6000 Mac Pro?  I guess you aren't buying anything Apple!
    You may be right on that but all my current Macs are at least repairable to a degree.

But you never know! Let's see how 'right to repair' does in terms of legislation. 

muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 122
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

As a guy who built PCs for decades, I love my iMac AIOs. My last one lasted 8 years, by the time it was done even the screen was out of date. My new one is 10 lbs lighter and is VESA arm mounted, giving me an ultra clean desk free of any clutter or cables. 

Never cared about the chin. Such complaints seem to be academic ones held by people not actually using the product. You’re in that category too, aren’t you?
    williamlondonjony0lolliverMplsPmacplusplusroundaboutnowJWSCd_2watto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 9 of 122
    I look forward to a chinless option...  It did seem odd to have a 27" iMac and 27" Apple display at different heights. I remember reading about the elegant refinements in the iMac design including the tapering of the stand towards the user, and hopefully such things still matter @ Apple... I would expect the un-tapered stand and monitor are more 'efficient' to produce...?
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 122
    I like the iMac “chin.” Post-Its fit nice, it gives a sense of weight and balance. I’m also a fan of the wide bezels because they act as a transition from the workspace background to the screen.

I’m really looking forward to the Mac Pro Mini. My iMac Pro has been a great workhorse, but an M1x (whatever) with 16 cores and 32-64 GB RAM is on my plate.
    williamlondonrundhvidJWSCmjtomlindysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 122
    YP101YP101 Posts: 158member
    I want rose gold iMac or Mac mini pro!!!
    watto_cobrachristopher126
  • Reply 12 of 122
    How about Bondi Blue, followed by Life Saver colors, for the iMac.
    JWSCkingofsomewherehotwatto_cobrah2p
  • Reply 13 of 122
    They look great. For 2004.
    williamlondonelijahgfrantisekchristopher126
  • Reply 14 of 122
    Touch screen? FFS!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 122
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

He never has. 
    jony0cornchipDAalsethlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 122
    Powerful Apple processor, USB-C, Retina display, no optical drive, built-in stereo speakers, similar design...the iMac and the iPad Pro are becoming more and more alike. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 122
    Think of the money Apple saves by tweaking and recycling previous ads...

She comes in colours ev'rywhere
    She combs her hair
    She's like a rainbow
    Coming, colours in the air
    Oh, everywhere
    She comes in colours
    williamlondonJWSC
  • Reply 18 of 122
    thttht Posts: 5,394member
    Hoping that:

1. iMac has 32" display
    2. iMac is compatible with Pro Display XDR stand and has VESA option
    3. External monitor is just the iMac 32 without the computing guts
    4. Mac Half Pro is modular, with room for MPX module, +2 PCIe slots, and 2 HDDs.
    5. iMac 24" has fanless option.
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchipelijahgwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 19 of 122
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

As a guy who built PCs for decades, I love my iMac AIOs. My last one lasted 8 years, by the time it was done even the screen was out of date. My new one is 10 lbs lighter and is VESA arm mounted, giving me an ultra clean desk free of any clutter or cables. 

Never cared about the chin. Such complaints seem to be academic ones held by people not actually using the product. You’re in that category too, aren’t you?
    I actually like the chin and attach notes to it.  I hope they keep the chin but make it smaller. Besides without the chin with the Apple logo how do you know it’s an Apple computer? 
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 122
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    avon b7 said:
    No chin, at last!

Your complaint is moot.  I think the new iMacs will be essentially a giant iPad with everything soldered in.  Gone will be the days where one could at least upgrade the RAM.

What's your beef with removing the display?  Open that display once (or twice) ever in its life it too much?  I can remove and reinstall my iMac display in minutes.  It's a non-issue.
    StrangeDaysmacpluspluswilliamlondonJWSCwatto_cobraargonaut