WWDC delayed for Panther and 970?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Consider the scenario where IBM has greater success with the 970 than even they thought. The spic-and-span new foundry is ramped to production sooner than forcast and is spitting out 970's as we speak.

Would Apple want to wait any longer than they have to to get this out? What if they could announce the 970 Powermac a month earlier than MWNY?

• Reply 42 of 169
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JoshuaTree05

I think that it being moved and rescheduled differently isn't the cause of something such as lack of space, or not-so readiness of Panther. Although these things may contribute to the change in a way, I think that there has got to be something more going on here. My guess is that Steve Jobs will have a Keynote and this keynote will be extraordinary. I am expecting and/or hoping for a new iPod update, a 15" PowerBook refresh, Panther (64-bit of coarse), Quite possibly the introduction of a redesigned PowerMac G5 (PPC 970), and maybe one more thing from Apple which will remain a surprise. Apple has a way of making us all think one thing, and then doing something completely different yet so awesome that we forget what we were hoping for.

Ummm.... I think you're getting your events all screwed up...

WWDC = Mac Developer event... Developers learning from Apple (and fellow developers) the stuff they need to learn in order to write good programs for the Mac as well as the future direction of the OS.

MacWorld (MWSF or MWNY) = Mac Consumer event... new hardware, new software and stuff like 'one more thing'.

Dave
  • Reply 43 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Ummm.... I think you're getting your events all screwed up...

WWDC = Mac Developer event... Developers learning from Apple (and fellow developers) the stuff they need to learn in order to write good programs for the Mac as well as the future direction of the OS.

MacWorld (MWSF or MWNY) = Mac Consumer event... new hardware, new software and stuff like 'one more thing'.

Dave

Didn't Apple release a new PB a few years ago at WWDC?? I think that they did so a hardware release would not be out of the question. By the time WWDC comes the PMs will be at 5 months since their last revision and we may see a preannouncement of the PM 970 at that time with a release date of sometime in late August or Mid September with the release of Panther at the sametime. It could be earlier and I'm sure a lot of people are going to be happy.
  • Reply 44 of 169
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Plus, wouldn't in depth detail about the 970 be important for writing good apps?

It wasn't a shipping product yet, but the G4 did get announced at WWDC, didn't it?
  • Reply 45 of 169
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

It wasn't a shipping product yet, but the G4 did get announced at WWDC, didn't it?

The G4 was announced at Seybold San Francisco in August 1999. Previously, at WWDC '99, a new PowerBook was introduced.
  • Reply 46 of 169
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Didn't Apple release a new PB a few years ago at WWDC?? I think that they did so a hardware release would not be out of the question. By the time WWDC comes the PMs will be at 5 months since their last revision and we may see a preannouncement of the PM 970 at that time with a release date of sometime in late August or Mid September with the release of Panther at the sametime. It could be earlier and I'm sure a lot of people are going to be happy.

Yea... they did BUT didn't you read the message that I replied to?!?!

Here is was the author of that message said:

Quote:

My guess is that Steve Jobs will have a Keynote and this keynote will be extraordinary. I am expecting and/or hoping for:

A new iPod update,

A 15" PowerBook refresh,

Panther (64-bit of coarse),

Quite possibly the introduction of a redesigned PowerMac G5 (PPC 970), and maybe one more thing from Apple which will remain a surprise.

Do you REALLY think Apple is going to announce ALL of that at a WWDC?!?!

- Panther 64bit

- A 970 based PowerMac

This ALONE would be more than impressive enough for ANYONE going to WWDC...

Dave
  • Reply 47 of 169
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, WWDC isn't about new products. It's about developers. Every so often it's used to show off new products, but usually it's to preview upcoming OS and hardware shifts.

The G4 was previewed so heavily because of AltiVec.

The 970 has no such revolutionary technology, and frankly, most any developer worth his/her salt will never notice a shift to 64-bit because they'll have been producing clean code in the first place. Sure, we'll see 970 information for those that need to clean up their code and make it 64-bit clean, but I don't see it requiring the in-depth sessions like the G4 did. If it gets any attention at all, it'll be in the Hardware track, with *maybe* a sneak preview of performance, but probably just as benchmark reporting.

Expect 10.3 Preview, and *maybe* a sneak look at the 970.
  • Reply 48 of 169
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, WWDC isn't about new products. It's about developers. Every so often it's used to show off new products, but usually it's to preview upcoming OS and hardware shifts.

The G4 was previewed so heavily because of AltiVec.

The 970 has no such revolutionary technology, and frankly, most any developer worth his/her salt will never notice a shift to 64-bit because they'll have been producing clean code in the first place. Sure, we'll see 970 information for those that need to clean up their code and make it 64-bit clean, but I don't see it requiring the in-depth sessions like the G4 did. If it gets any attention at all, it'll be in the Hardware track, with *maybe* a sneak preview of performance, but probably just as benchmark reporting.

Expect 10.3 Preview, and *maybe* a sneak look at the 970.

Kick, do you have to be such a wet blanket? I was enjoying this thread until you had to muck it up with some logic.
  • Reply 49 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Yea... they did BUT didn't you read the message that I replied to?!?!

Here is was the author of that message said:

Do you REALLY think Apple is going to announce ALL of that at a WWDC?!?!

- Panther 64bit

- A 970 based PowerMac

This ALONE would be more than impressive enough for ANYONE going to WWDC...

Dave

Gotcha, sorry I just read it really quickly. I would not expect PBs, an iPod, et al. But I would expect the two that you mentioned though and I hope that we hear something about the 970 at WWDC. Sorry again.
  • Reply 50 of 169
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Kick, do you have to be such a wet blanket? I was enjoying this thread until you had to muck it up with some logic.

Wah, wah, wah.
  • Reply 51 of 169
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    The thing that made me jump, mostly for now, is the really awesome postcard on the Apple frontpage.

Maybe the ONLY reason for the change is "Panther" and not the 970, and Apple could be telling the truth. I mean, they could not be telling us something, or they could be telling us all. I just want to see a giant X covered in black fur...
  • Reply 52 of 169
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    You're right. That postcard on apple.com really means that WWDC is replacing MWNY/Boston. Will they attend MWNY at all? My guess is: No.

Since Apple is outsourcing production of their hardware, they can't introduce a whole lot of models at once. It's reasonable to expect the 970 to make its appearance in the PowerMac initially. Is it possible they'll intro a 15" aluminum 970 powerbook at the same time? If they do I will probably buy that...
  • Reply 53 of 169
    I just have a quick question. I was looking back and I was just wondering when Apple announced that 10.2 was going to be commercially called "Jaguar." Did they start after WWDC or prior last year?
  • Reply 54 of 169
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

It's reasonable to expect the 970 to make its appearance in the PowerMac initially. Is it possible they'll intro a 15" aluminum 970 powerbook at the same time? If they do I will probably buy that...

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? It would save them a lot of trouble to just wait on introducing the 15" PB until they are capable of putting the 970 in it; and right now, people are still buying the Titanium models because they run OS 9. Once this summer comes about, hopefully with Quark for X, that's really not vital for most people. The connections seem to be working out quite well -- Summer + WWDC + Quark (at least for some people) + 970 in Power Macs and later/sooner PowerBooks = very, very happy Apple and customers.

• Reply 55 of 169
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

I just have a quick question. I was looking back and I was just wondering when Apple announced that 10.2 was going to be commercially called "Jaguar." Did they start after WWDC or prior last year?

It was announced at WWDC and it was introduced at MacWorld New York on July 17th 2002...

It will most likely be the same this year...
  • Reply 56 of 169
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

It was announced at WWDC and it was introduced at MacWorld New York on July 17th 2002...

It will most likely be the same this year...

More Detailes: At WWDC they were saying "Code named 'Jaguar'" and then at MWNY, they were using it as Marketing as well as Code name.... Right?
  • Reply 57 of 169
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The new WWDC site reads:

Quote:

Get an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform and a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther", at Worldwide Developers Conference 2003, June 23-27, in San Francisco.

This explains it all. At WWDC Apple will unviel their 64 bit strategy (what ever it may be).

Also, do they say this every year before WWDC, ie come look at the future of the Mac platform?
  • Reply 58 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

More Detailes: At WWDC they were saying "Code named 'Jaguar'" and then at MWNY, they were using it as Marketing as well as Code name.... Right?

That is what I want to know. When did they start calling it Jaguar?
  • Reply 59 of 169
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    As far as I can see there's only three reasons to move it.

1. Something you want to show is badly behind schedule and if you don't push it back you risk not being able to discuss it at such a sizeable developer event until the following year (although they could hold workshops).

2. You're ahead of schedule and think you can squeeze something in if you just push it back a month.

3. You are delaying showing something or technical difficulties/conflicts have forced a reschedule.
  • Reply 60 of 169
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Also, do they say this every year before WWDC, ie come look at the future of the Mac platform?

As far as I can recall they do.