Screen Shots of Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Last night in AI chat tikutikutiku said he had two screen captures of Panther. If someone has these.. can they post them please? (since I don't think Apple will 'flip' about simple screenshots)

Also... why isn't there a really good thread about Panther? I want the price, feature request, *confirmed* features, etc. to be in one thread where I can read about um in one place. Thx!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Last night in AI chat tikutikutiku said he had two screen captures of Panther. If someone has these.. can they post them please? (since I don't think Apple will 'flip' about simple screenshots)

Also... why isn't there a really good thread about Panther? I want the price, feature request, *confirmed* features, etc. to be in one thread where I can read about um in one place. Thx!

Nothing has formally been announced about Panther yet, except that it will be shown at WWDC in June. Until then, you aren't going to see much information because nothing else has been announced.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Dream on

• Reply 3 of 102
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Apple has really managed to keep Panther tightly sealed.

Has there even been a seed of Panther released to developers yet...?
  • Reply 4 of 102
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Apple has really managed to keep Panther tightly sealed.

Has there even been a seed of Panther released to developers yet...?

I don't think there are going to be any Panther seeds before the WWDC.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Hell, we're still at the point of waiting for leaks from 10.2.5, let alone Panther. Though 10.2.5 has been seeded...

Hang tight until WWDC, then the Panther madness will truly kick off.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Screenshots? Yeah, right...say, what is so important about yet another ickle 10.2.x release? I am seeeeing Paaaantherrr...another $130 theft from us. I'm lucky that I know someone that's a teacher, I'll probably get Panther for free, like I did with Jaguar last year. Ask yo Teach for Mac discounts! I got keynote+iLife for $15. Sorry. I just had to go into Infomercial mode. I AM OUT! As for the "unknown features", looks like 64 bit optimization will be there.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    It seems like Apple has closed the lid on leaks, like with the whole Safari v.67 thing.

As for 64 bit optimization, only if it comes with 970's, but I don't think Apple will release them both at the same time, so as not to steal thunder from one or the other.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have to admit I'm a screenshot junkie. I need my fix!

Apple's done a pretty amazing job at keeping Panther under wraps thus far. 10.2 was also kept under close wraps until Apple made stuff public, so this will probably change after WWDC. Must... wait... longer...
  • Reply 9 of 102
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I AM A SCREENSHOT JUNKIE AS WELL

However, I doubt there will be any of those screen shots for oh..... 4 months or so?

So, dream on as many people have said, as I will!
  • Reply 10 of 102
    Here's a screenshot.

• Reply 11 of 102
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ahhhh....

I've been waiting for this.

Now we just need the music.

A shame that we can't have Peter Sellers to introduce the new product.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    I thought that was the box art....

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Here's a screenshot.

• Reply 13 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

I thought that was the box art....

Maybe it is, just maybe it is.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Make one!
  • Reply 15 of 102
    Today LoopRumors.com is reporting more info about the "system-wide metal interface" they reported a couple weeks back. They've even posted a pic of a brushed-metal Mail.

------------------

As LoopRumors first reported on March 18th (below), Apple's new Operating System, Panther, is due this Fall. One week ago, Apple announced that they will demo the new operating system at the WWDC in June. Our sources have told us that one main theme throughout will be a system-wide metal interface. Rumors of a revamped Mail.app have been circulating and today, we received an image of a recent build of the "Metallic Mail." We have received several emails asking if everything would be metal. From the information we have, as far as we know, only the Apple Applications will sport the metal. The menu bar, drop-down menus and dock will remain unchanged.

http://looprumors.com/MetallicMail.jpg

------------------

I smell a fake...

------------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 16 of 102
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You can get the metal version of Mail simply by loading its nibs into IB and flipping a switch. Brad actually did that in one of the other threads.

So it could be a genuine screenshot of the current version of Mail running under Jaguar. The UI doesn't appear to be changed in any way (most notably, the toolbar buttons are still of the Aqua variety, rather than the more physical-looking buttons in other metal apps), so that would be my guess.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Wait, you didn't know, Amorph?

I've actually been running secret builds of Panther. Yeah.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

Today LoopRumors.com is reporting more info about the "system-wide metal interface" they reported a couple weeks back. They've even posted a pic of a brushed-metal Mail.

------------------

As LoopRumors first reported on March 18th (below), Apple's new Operating System, Panther, is due this Fall. One week ago, Apple announced that they will demo the new operating system at the WWDC in June. Our sources have told us that one main theme throughout will be a system-wide metal interface. Rumors of a revamped Mail.app have been circulating and today, we received an image of a recent build of the "Metallic Mail." We have received several emails asking if everything would be metal. From the information we have, as far as we know, only the Apple Applications will sport the metal. The menu bar, drop-down menus and dock will remain unchanged.

------------------

I smell a fake...

------------------

RosettaStoned

Yeah it would be very easy to go into Interface Builder and click that "Textured Window" check box. Infact I did that myself...there are like 30 or so .nib files. I also did it with Preview.

Although it makes sense for Mail.app to be brushed metal because iChat and Safari are. Logically another internet, application...e-mail...to be brushed metal as well.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    I understand how it's done, I've done this to a few apps myself. But what do you think about these apps moving to brushed metal? Personally I think it's pretty ugly, and significantly decreases the quality of the UI.

On a side note, I've recently started playing with KDX, and I can't get over how FAST the app seems to be in terms of response to window clicks, window dragging, resizing, etc. Granted it looks like crap, but man is it fast. Strange to see things working so fast in OSX. I guess I haven't even gone back to use OS9 in such a long time...

Let's hope Apple can make some significant UI speed improvements in Panther.

------------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 20 of 102
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    If they take this metal thing a bit further, I'm gonna have to leave Apple. I swear. All metal, except for iTunes and maybe the DVD player remote is, imho, absolute crap. I don't even understand why they slap that obtrusive cheap-ass looking little photoshop effect on all their apps.