Screen Shots of Panther?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wyntir

No one seemed to mind a metallized UI much when the metal was "Platinum"...

Goog God, do you honestly believe what you're saying? I wonder if in truth you've ever used System 8 through 9...

Just because the name of one GUI might remind you of the name of the other one it doesn't mean that the two are related in any way. In fact, brushed metal came out IIRC with QT4, during or shortly before the System 9 launch. And people complained a lot about the stupid UI QT Player sported. And guess what, the people who were complaining about Brushed Metal were using Platinum all the time!

Personally I don't mind Brushed Metal: in fact, it solves a problem I have with Aqua, that I find it too bright, with too much white. But what I hate is inconsistency: the should be only one, system-wide User Interface. A skinnable one, if you prefer, but if you change to a different theme it should apply to everything. Switching from one UI to another is something that I find extremely annoying.

And please, don't compare Brushed Metal with Platinum if you don't really know what you're talking about...

ZoSo
  • Reply 62 of 102
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the "brushed metal" UI skin. Yes, I did use OSs 8 and 9, and I remember when QT4 was released. It had a bad interface because of its rotary volume control and ridiculous favorites drawer and unintuitive equalizer controls. The fact that its window was rounded and more metal than the rest of the system had no impact at all on its usability -- and the same is true of brushed metal OSX apps.

I too would be disappointed if Jaguar was 100% brushed-metal, just because I like the way Aqua windows look, but at their heart there are no real fundamental differences between the two modes. That's why there is a single checkbox in IB to switch between them. They both have a rounded title bar, they both have three colored buttons in the upper-left, they both are resizable by dragging the handle on the bottom-right. If anything, metallized windows are more useful than their Aqua conterparts, if only because they are draggable from their edges (fixing one of the most legitimate gripes about Aqua). In the end they're all just sophisticated Kaleidoscope themes. Yes, Platinum too.

Don't engage in silly histrionics about Apple's preference in window themes. "Meh meh meh, if Apple makes their windows gray, I'm never using a Mac again, and I'll stop eating red meat, and... and... I'll jump off a bridge!" Again,
  • Reply 63 of 102
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    The idea that you won't be able to use your interface if it changes to another color is really silly at best. I find some days Aqua has way too much white for me. However on the other hand Platinum was too bland and old fashioned looking. As has been said before the controls are still in the same place so what's the problem? Give a monkey enough bananas he could do it. This and the fact that what looks good is subjective is why I support the idea themes.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Don't engage in silly histrionics about Apple's preference in window themes. "Meh meh meh, if Apple makes their windows gray, I'm never using a Mac again, and I'll stop eating red meat, and... and... I'll jump off a bridge!" Again,

Did I really say that?

Don't think so... I just pointed out that it's silly to compare Platinum to Brushed Metal just because they share a "metallic" name. Platinum was a direct derivative of the classic Macintosh interface, and as such it might have looked a little bit 'old fashioned'--though I'm pretty sure nobody at that time would have said such a thing, as there were no 'modern interfaces' like Aqua or Luna ( ) to compare it to--but it was extremely consistent and straightforward. Aqua, and BM, are much less polished and refined and consistent than Platinum. And I said that personally if I had to choose the lesser of the two evils I'd opt for a system-wide BM interface, as for me Aqua is just too bright.

BTW, when Macintosh went color (Macintosh II was the first model, anybody remember the first System version?), or when Platinum came, how was the public reaction? I'm fairly confident that the switch from Platinum to Aqua drew a lot more ires than the Macintosh to Platinum did...

ZoSo
  • Reply 65 of 102
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I don't think he was responding to you specifically at that point but we have had posts like that in the recent past.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    Yeah, sorry if it sounded like that was directed at you.

Anyway I'm starting to feel like a geek arguing about Apple UI themes. We can agree to disagree.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I don't think he was responding to you specifically at that point but we have had posts like that in the recent past.

It was probably directed at me, seeing as I actually said, in a degree of dramatics I normally eschew, that I would have to leave Apple if they took this metal too far. I probably shouldn't have said that, because it does sound very childish. Ah well, you can all carry on, I guess...
  • Reply 68 of 102
    Quote:

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the "brushed metal" UI skin. Yes, I did use OSs 8 and 9, and I remember when QT4 was released. It had a bad interface because of its rotary volume control and ridiculous favorites drawer and unintuitive equalizer controls. The fact that its window was rounded and more metal than the rest of the system had no impact at all on its usability -- and the same is true of brushed metal OSX apps.

I too would be disappointed if Jaguar was 100% brushed-metal, just because I like the way Aqua windows look, but at their heart there are no real fundamental differences between the two modes. That's why there is a single checkbox in IB to switch between them. They both have a rounded title bar, they both have three colored buttons in the upper-left, they both are resizable by dragging the handle on the bottom-right. If anything, metallized windows are more useful than their Aqua conterparts, if only because they are draggable from their edges (fixing one of the most legitimate gripes about Aqua). In the end they're all just sophisticated Kaleidoscope themes. Yes, Platinum too.

CORRECTAMUNDO!

thank god, someone here is intelligent. i was going to shoot myself.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I heard that the new 'X' logo for panther is going to be a pink 'X' with a 'pink panther' face in the middle of it. ;-) Someone seriously needs to make one of those as a gag.

• Reply 70 of 102
    Ti Fighter:: Good Photoshoppin' there.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Thanks
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Thanks

NP. How did you make it? Did you use the Jag box as a template and continue from there?
  • Reply 73 of 102
    i used the image on the server page cuz the X was nice and clear and gray and went from there. I didnt make the pink panther or the inspector, ripped em off a site.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    Awesome. Nice scaling of the text etc.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Nice...but just a little too feminine for me
  • Reply 76 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

That makes no sense. If anything Brushed Metal is painted, as you can remove it at will...

I would be careful with those sweeping generalities. I refer to the fact that "Platinum" has no brushed metal texture while "Brushed Metal" does. Platinum, in that way, is like smoothly painted brushed metal. Whether or not you can "remove" it does not figure into my analogy. I think you're wrong on that front anyway because you can probably replace platinum with a Brushed Metal theme in OS 9. Let's be sensible here.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Rather than all this controversy, official Theme support would be nice. Oh well I guess that won't happen right? *Cough* Kaleidoscope X *cough* come Arlo and Greg!
  • Reply 78 of 102
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

I would be careful with those sweeping generalities. I refer to the fact that "Platinum" has no brushed metal texture while "Brushed Metal" does. Platinum, in that way, is like smoothly painted brushed metal. Whether or not you can "remove" it does not figure into my analogy. I think you're wrong on that front anyway because you can probably replace platinum with a Brushed Metal theme in OS 9. Let's be sensible here.

I just mean if it is a true Brushed Metal UI like say, Safari, you could go into InterfaceBuilder and uncheck a box, save the nib file and no more brushed metal...
  • Reply 79 of 102
    seems to me that apple has been listening to some of the suggestions made by users for osx, even against what they initially wanted. Although gui themes are less of an importance in the grand scheme of things I have a feeling we will get a few apple controlled themes eventually. Just cuz apple likes to be a Mr. fancy pants sometimes. Like without question there should be a FCP theme.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Man, that box mock up is great. How about one with black fur folks? (gotta have both ends of the spectrum....)