Screen Shots of Panther?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    /me fails to give a sh1t...
  • Reply 22 of 102
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    der Kopf I probably hate metal even more than you and I just watched Terminator 1 and 2 for the first time. Seriously. I can't wait for T3. But if you hate Metal and it's not a fake app like iTunes, Metallifizer from Unsanity gets rid of it. And we know you won't ever actually leave Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    There is a quirk in Metal that I hate...how the x/--/+ look recessed into the metal. The close/minimize/max buttons should either be improved, or made metal. I think that a very nice feature would be having a metal/aqua pref in sysprefs, kind of like the Blue/Graphite option we currently have. Just curious...who here uses Graphite?
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Always-Confirmed MOSR has an update on this matter:

For those worrying about Panther, the next major release of Mac OS X (notice we didn't call it 10.3? maybe it will be lableled 10.3, maybe it won't. The grapevine is abuzz with questions on this point right now.) being converted to an entirely Brushed Metal interface, ala Safari/iTunes/QuickTime Player/iPhoto et cetera....

You can stop worrying now. Apple isn't planning such dramatic changes to the OS X interface for quite a while to come. Aqua is the system look-and-feel; Brushed Metal is intended to be the signature of the company's non-system applications. One thing that may have sparked this rumor, however, is a version of Terminal.app included with developmental builds of Panther was reportedly seen skinned with a Brushed Metal interface and translucent terminal window contents.

More here...

---------------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 25 of 102
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Brushed Metal is intended to be the signature of the company's non-system applications.

Does that mean that the much rumored iWorks office applications will also sport the metal interface? I hope not.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Does that mean that the much rumored iWorks office applications will also sport the metal interface? I hope not.

I suddenly remembered that Keynote does not have the metal interface but a nice aqua one. Maybe they are limiting to the metal interface to the free/semi free applications included with osX?

Sorry about replying to my own post
  • Reply 27 of 102
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They're limiting the metal to whatever they deem to be a digital hub app. Not very helpful guidelines on this though. People have been saying for a while that Apple needs to get more clear and consistent with its metal guideline.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    I like the metal interface! It is my preference.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

...Just curious...who here uses Graphite?

I use Graphite.

I really hope apple doesn't switch everything to metal, Aqua looks so much better (graphite or blue)
  • Reply 30 of 102
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

There is a quirk in Metal that I hate...how the x/--/+ look recessed into the metal. The close/minimize/max buttons should either be improved, or made metal.

Why? Apple is slowly moving all their metal GUI elements to this recessed glass look. I don't think it'll change at this point since Safari has the recessed glass buttons, iMovie 3, iDVD 3...I wouldn't be surprised if the next iCal, Address Book, iTunes, iPhoto updated the looks to more closely match this new direction Apple is going in. If this doesn't happen, it would indicate Apple doesn't know what the hell they want 'cuz they've been changing the frickin' look way too often now.

As it stands now Apple's put out all sorts of brushed-metal versions and not a whole lot of these apps look consistent with each other. I'm hoping this will change soon as the Carbon apps move to 10.2+ Cocoa.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by wwwork

I like the metal interface! It is my preference.

So you would rater have the metal interface instead of aqua in the entire OS? It's ok in the iApps but come on. It's not that good.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Back before Aqua, I used to have a Kaliedosccope scheme for the QT brushed metal look and I liked it:

http://24.224.168.199/Graphics/Desktops/desktop2.jpg

I prefer Aqua, especially for the system, but having apps as metal is fine with me. I still think they should make them compatible and make it an option.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    ah...Gerry's ICQ!
  • Reply 34 of 102
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

Back before Aqua, I used to have a Kaliedosccope scheme for the QT brushed metal look and I liked it:

http://24.224.168.199/Graphics/Desktops/desktop2.jpg

I prefer Aqua, especially for the system, but having apps as metal is fine with me. I still think they should make them compatible and make it an option.

Nasty...I now realize there are people in this world that love uglyness.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    OS 9 Platinum was uglier. I don't like the OS X pinstripes...they seem just...random, I guess. Like some little joke a UI engineer threw in.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I think the system-wide metal would be ok, if it was one of several choices you could choose for your system-wide appearance.

For example, if you could choose between "default", "metal", "pinstripe", and "black" or whatever.

The mail app shown above looked good, IMO. The non-active icons were quite obviously non-selectable which I thought was nice, it appeared to support the standard OS X toolbar instead of the hack they are using on Safari, and there was no transparency which probably improves speed a bit. The resize corner was also larger than normal.

However, I am skeptical of it, since there no real way to tell if it's 10.3, or just a cheap mock up.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    More From MOSR: "Panther will not be moving to an entirely Brushed Metal interface, but it will indeed introduce some significant appearance updates....and, in what may prove to be the basis for this rumor, use of the Brushed Metal interface in Apple's applications and utilities is set to significantly increase with the advent of Panther. In early builds, apps including Terminal, Console, Process Viewer, Network Utility, and even Mail have been seen with Brushed Metal window schemes. There is no firm reason to believe that all or even any of these modifications will make it to the final release, but we do see a clear trend."

I really don't care for Brushed Metal; it's clearly inferior to Aqua. If Apple decides to metalize its system applications, it will definitely detract from the usability of the OS. Moreover, it will set a dangerous trend of capricious interface changes, and it will surely confuse developers. I hope Apple's UI team still has some sense left.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

More From MOSR: "Panther will not be moving to an entirely Brushed Metal interface, but it will indeed introduce some significant appearance updates....and, in what may prove to be the basis for this rumor, use of the Brushed Metal interface in Apple's applications and utilities is set to significantly increase with the advent of Panther. In early builds, apps including Terminal, Console, Process Viewer, Network Utility, and even Mail have been seen with Brushed Metal window schemes. There is no firm reason to believe that all or even any of these modifications will make it to the final release, but we do see a clear trend."

I really don't care for Brushed Metal; it's clearly inferior to Aqua. If Apple decides to metalize its system applications, it will definitely detract from the usability of the OS. Moreover, it will set a dangerous trend of capricious interface changes, and it will surely confuse developers. I hope Apple's UI team still has some sense left.

How about if it's just an option? I'm really getting tired of just aqua and would like an option.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    MACOSRUMORS is a bunch of fuxored idiots last time 10.2 was coming out they started that it won't be called 10.2 crap because apple just called it by codename. The next VERSION will be called 10.3 no matter what those idiots at MOSR would have you believe. There is only a limited number of version rollouts they can do with this so they plan to use every version number.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

So you would rater have the metal interface instead of aqua in the entire OS? It's ok in the iApps but come on. It's not that good.

I did not say I wanted the metal interface in the entire OS.