Dancing in the streets?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 274
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    See, that's all it takes. Simply be happy for people who can now enjoy some of the freedoms and joys we all take for granted.

Doesn't mean you have to register as a Republican, listen to Rush, watch FOX News, subscribe to National Review.

It just means you can go "hey, good for those people...this WAS a good thing".

• Reply 62 of 274
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Now is when the funny stuff will officially begin: the goalposts will be picked up and moved 20 yards back. The armchair analyzing about how we "didn't do this" and "didn't do that" will begin.

I was against this war, and still am. Why? Because, as in any war, too many people get killed. Now, show me, how have today's events changed that? Are all the people that DID get killed instantly Lazarussed back into existence? How about the other top-level argument that diplomacy didn't get to run its full course? Do today's event's deliver any proof of the contrary? I don't, personally, belief so.

I stand by what I said when I said this war was unnecessary and cruel.

Anybody could've told you that the US would get what it wanted if it only got to flex its muscles. I don't think anybody's surprised, or am I wrong? Still, the fact that this horrid war may have brought about some niceness for the Iraqis doesn't say anything about its unlawfullness.
  • Reply 63 of 274
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    ... and can anyone PLEASE tell me a case of terror being extinguished by violence?
  • Reply 64 of 274
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

looking at the replays again......that wasn't a statue of saddam, it was one of his doubles.......

That is very funny!!!!!!

LOL
  • Reply 65 of 274
    Wow. Looks what happens while you help a friend with their winblow at a place without radio.

First of all: Everybody expected this to be over quick (I admit that a week ago I was starting to question it but...). It has never been the victory over Saddam anyone questioned.

What was questioned was on one side the direct costs of the war. How many people were to die in it. And on the other hand: What will this mean for the future of the middle east and the world as a whole.

Its very symbolic what happened today. First the Iraqis try to tumble Saddam but are unsuccesful. Then the US military help them and it succeds. Then an american soldier place an american flag which is quickly replaced by an iraqi. Can´t help wondering how the last thing will happen in real life.

Hmm. The Americans win over iraq and start the occupation on the 9th of april. Isn´t that quite a coincidence New and Harald?
  • Reply 66 of 274
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I think this is great great news and has me rethinking everything . . . . I'll admit it.

I admire your honesty with this. You are more than entitled to re-adjust your view in light of the nature of the outcome. If it would have been against the will of the Iraqi people as a whole being against the war would be a just stance to hold. Seeing the Iraqi people rejoice however makes this story become clear to the world.

I am so very happy for the Iraqi people.

Fellowship
  • Reply 67 of 274
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

... and can anyone PLEASE tell me a case of terror being extinguished by violence?

Well. . . . the Iraqis will no longer be terrorized by SH.
  • Reply 68 of 274
    Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Winnign the war was always going to happen. The Iraqi people were certain to be glad to get rid of Saddam. We all knew that, except for the playa haters. Now comes the tricky part, winning the peace and the diplomacy. I think this can be done, I'm just not convinced that it can be done by the Shrubbery Klan. We shall see. They don't have to love us but if they don't blow up too many of our soldiers over the next two years and if there is a lasting peace with neighbors and we don't **** up the humanitarian situation too much in the next month and if Iraq can have a reasonably representative govt then it will be all good range rover all wood.
  • Reply 69 of 274
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Winnign the war was always going to happen. The Iraqi people were certain to be glad to get rid of Saddam. We all knew that, except for the playa haters. Now comes the tricky part, winning the peace and the diplomacy. I think this can be done, I'm just not convinced that it can be done by the Shrubbery Klan. We shall see. They don't have to love us but if they don't blow up too many of our soldiers over the next two years and if there is a lasting peace with neighbors and we don't **** up the humanitarian situation too much in the next month and if Iraq can have a reasonably representative govt then it will be all good range rover all wood.

I wish for once people would shut up already with the Bush insults. I think it is sad liberals the world over can only resort to spitful rhetoric as a political tool. GROW UP!

"Shrubbery Klan"

Name calling... I think the democrats have already lost the next election.

Fellowship
  • Reply 70 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

In general, I tend to piss on Generals.

No that's harsh. I just wish to say that I hate all things military with many (not all) fibres of my body.

And, I'm baffled by the argumentative force of your post. Very insightful and intelligent. You are truly a military man, General.

ahh, the truth comes out, he hates all things military, that must mean you hate anyone in the military, even those who would defend you.. I wonder, would you hate the military if your homeland was the dominant power?
  • Reply 71 of 274
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I was against this war, and still am. Why? Because, as in any war, too many people get killed. Now, show me, how have today's events changed that? Are all the people that DID get killed instantly Lazarussed back into existence? How about the other top-level argument that diplomacy didn't get to run its full course? Do today's event's deliver any proof of the contrary? I don't, personally, belief so.

I stand by what I said when I said this war was unnecessary and cruel.

Anybody could've told you that the US would get what it wanted if it only got to flex its muscles. I don't think anybody's surprised, or am I wrong? Still, the fact that this horrid war may have brought about some niceness for the Iraqis doesn't say anything about its unlawfullness.

Many more people would have died if we had not acted.

In Eastern philosophy "doing the least harm" is the best route. I think this applies here.
  • Reply 72 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Many more people would have died if we had not acted.

In Eastern philosophy "doing the least harm" is the best route. I think this applies here.

Which "Eastern philosophy" do you mean?

Are you trying to find a Buddhist rationale for the military invasion of Iraq?

Good God.
  • Reply 73 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I wish for once people would shut up already with the Bush insults. I think it is sad liberals the world over can only resort to spitful rhetoric as a political tool. GROW UP!

"Shrubbery Klan"

Fellowship

Why do I get the feeling that you wouldn't object if someone called Bill Clinton (oh, I don't know) Swill Clit-on?

The Shrubbery Klan. That's good.

Really, though, Fellowship, it is kinda hard to defend an inarticulate warmongering intellectual midget like George W. Bush. Come on.
  • Reply 74 of 274
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Of course there's going to be some jubilation....and it will be very temporary. People in situations of extreme stress do live in the present until the ugly reality of the situation starts to filter through.

It's already starting to look like a, "out of the frying pan and into the fire" situation in some places, where "liberation" is absolutely not the name of the game. This article comes from the bastion of the British establishment, the Financial Times. They don't come much more from the Right than that....(in Europe that is of course).

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1012571727088
  • Reply 75 of 274
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Well. . . . the Iraqis will no longer be terrorized by SH.

Just as the Afghanis are no longer terrorized by the Taliban?

Why don't you go look up some info on the International Red Cross in Afghanistan these days to find out how wrong you are.
  • Reply 76 of 274
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

This article comes from the bastion of the British establishment, the Financial Times.

Oh sammi jo, we know you made a fake site that looks like the Financial Times and made this story up....

• Reply 77 of 274
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Which "Eastern philosophy" do you mean?

Are you trying to find a Buddhist rationale for the military invasion of Iraq?

Good God.

Let me try again, this time in English:

Do the math on the body count---with Saddam vs. getting rid of Saddam.....

Better?

But then if "All is permitted-nothing forbidden" why should we care?
  • Reply 78 of 274
    Quote:

"Shrubbery Klan"

Fellowship

I use odd terms for my own bemusement. I already called Australia Kangarooistan in this thread. It's hardly a rhetorical tool as I use it for entities about which I am neutral or supportive. My profile refers to my country as the frickin Unilateral States. I'm ****ing derisive and sarcastic about all sorts of shtuff. I'm a bastard like that.

Anyway, you're a moron. Jesus loves everyone but you Fellowship.
  • Reply 79 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Let me try again, this time in English:

Do the math on the body count---with Saddam vs. getting rid of Saddam.....

Better?

But then if "All is permitted-nothing forbidden" why should we care?

Oh. I see now. Thank-you.
  • Reply 80 of 274
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Well, that ain't me.

[?]

Quote:

Ich bin ein Baghdader.

I thought it was more like:

"انا بغدادي"

It looks better with Baghdad font.

Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Just as the Afghanis are no?

Just so we're clear on this: the people are the Afghans, the Afghani is the national currency.