Worst thing yet to happen in Baghdad

Comments

• Reply 141 of 172
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

[clears tears from eyes] Now people are going to refute the D & G ever existed in the first place, prior to the war! Now I've seen it all!... I think this one is worthy to go into the very thick, thick book titled "Never take an anti-war person's comment at face value, Never"

Yep,

being a left winger means never having to be wrong about anything no matter what and never having to apologize!!!\
  • Reply 142 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

No silly, it's just the conservatives around here consistently throw out blanket arguments and pretend like they apply to everyone that opposes their view.

It's the beloved straw man argument again. And again. And again. There is no valid point, so make one up.

If Hassan was predicting doom and gloom, show us where. Then show us how he was wrong. Then show us how now he's shifted his focus from D&G to looting.

But that's impossible because the original accusation was completely fabricated in the first place.

My goodness! I am just too tired to list them all. Everything from hundreads of thousands of civillian deaths to thousands of oil well fires, to this is a war that we cant win. All made by fly by unemportant sourced like the new york times.
  • Reply 143 of 172
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

All made by fly by unemportant sourced like the new york times.

Then go write a letter to the editor of the New York Times. That has nothing to do with the 'left wingers' around here. Hassan never predicted 'doom & gloom' so no one around here should attribute that to him. Doing so is a lie.

Note to Hassan: sorry to drag your name around this issue.
  • Reply 144 of 172
    Quote:

Then go write a letter to the editor of the New York Times. That has nothing to do with the 'left wingers' around here. Hassan never predicted 'doom & gloom' so no one around here should attribute that to him. Doing so is a lie.

Note to Hassan: sorry to drag your name around this issue.

i never said the Saddam ever predicted doom and gloom. That was the Left wing liberals.

Umm, did you just apolagise to Saddam Hassan??
  • Reply 145 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

i never said the Saddam ever predicted doom and gloom. That was the Left wing liberals.

No. Hassan i Sabbah is the poster who you originally responded to. You're thinking of Saddam Hussein, he's the evil killer/ex-dictator of Iraq.
  • Reply 146 of 172
    Quote:

No. Hassan i Sabbah is the poster who you originally responded to. You're thinking of Saddam Hussein, he's the evil killer/ex-dictator of Iraq.

OOp's \

Sorry

HA HA
  • Reply 147 of 172
    "Well those damn traitors and dictators are all alike. Met one you have met them all. Hell it even rhymes. No reason in keeping track who is who"

Sorry couldn´t resist. I am not able to hold a name in my memory for more than 10 seconds myself so this applies to me too
  • Reply 148 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

No I don´t think I have ever seen Hassan apologise to Saddam.

Okay I´m done now.
  • Reply 149 of 172
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Hey, just to bring some good news. I read an article recently in the Washington Post about how a lot of stuff is being returned and some people took things in order to protect them from being looted by others. And leaders of mosques have been setting up drop off sites so people can return what they took, no questions asked. Perhaps the damage won't be quite as bad as we had feared.
  • Reply 150 of 172
    YaY!!

museaum theft was reported to be an inside job as the thieves had keys to the safe. Conclusion is that it was not looting at all.
  • Reply 151 of 172
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Now that all of the anti war doom and gloom predictions did not come to pass. you shift to being critical on the US ability to govern.

How long did it take al'qaida to do the 9-11 attacks? It took them 10 YEARS to respond to the US establishing permanent military bases in Saudi Arabia. Its been 2 short weeks since the 'fall of Baghdad' and we're saying its all over and done?

I hope that in ten years time we will be looking at a prosperous and free Iraq, (with other middle eastern nations following suit), as a by-product of the coalition led war to oust Saddam Hussein, or whatever reason is the flavor of the day. I would love to see the Iraqi equivalent of a Congress and Senate, with real elections and a true democracy with proportional representation, where all the Iraqi people have a hand in determining their political fate.

It would be wonderful to see the enormous revenue from crude oil filter through to the Iraqi people, not just to further enrich a handful of already immensely wealthy tycoons. Perhaps a newly democratized Iraq could be the inspiration for a peaceful, just and lasting settlement between the Israelis and Palestinians.

Perhaps in 20 years time we will look at the PNAC plan and think that it was the most brilliantly inspired global plan where we bit the bullet briefly as nation after nation were pre-emptively attacked and 'regime-changed', but eventually it saved the world from terrorism and rendered warfare obsolete.

It is nice to visit cloud cuckoo land for a few minutes now and again, and indulge in childlike daydreams of a world controlled and governed by people whose motivations are benevolent, gaining the trust of all its peoples. If only, if only. I would love to sit down at a table and tuck into a huge plateful of Roast Crow garnished with a couple of peace signs and a French flag if all the above came true.

OK. Back to cold, hard, nasty, reactive reality.
  • Reply 152 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

OK. Back to cold, hard, nasty, reactive reality.

Very well written. Only I am unsure as to weather or not you are being sarcastic. are you for or against?

I know it is a long shot. But, this is the first plan i have ever seen that promotes world peace that actually has a chance. Our country was built on freedom. If we give the mid east a tasts of freedom (something that they have never had), then it could spread to the other regions. people would over throw their dictators and we would simply have to assist them.

Totalitarin leaders know this. this is why there is so much hate propaganda about the united states. They know that the US way of life is the only true threat that they face. If our way of life was not made out to be evil revoultions may have started a long time ago.

eithor way we are at a crossroads. The next 20 years will show us a historical new world.
  • Reply 153 of 172
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Well first off, all of that stuff is far less important than one single human life. Absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.

To say it's as bad as hundreds of people being killed, just ludicrous. Beyond comprehension.

Nah. The original copy of the Epic of Gilgamesh is much more valuable than a few lives.
  • Reply 154 of 172
    Saddam, I'm sorry.

I'm so, so, sorry.

I didn't know. In retrospect I could have been more tactful. Sometimes I just... don't think.

Forgive me.
  • Reply 155 of 172
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Nah. The original copy of the Epic of Gilgamesh is much more valuable than a few lives.

Yours?
  • Reply 156 of 172
    I'm not sure when the argument became save lives or save artifacts, but we could have saved the artifacts without endangering any lives so I'm not sure it's a relevant question.
  • Reply 157 of 172
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Hmmmmm? Seems like the reports of lootings were vastly over stated. No doubt the hateful anti-american bigots in there ignorance of the situation took the opportunity to spread their hate.

Oh well. Truth is the first casualty of war. Honesty is the first casualty of bigotry.

Treasures of Nimrud Found in Iraqi Vault

Quote:

The coalition official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said at a news briefing that the number of artifacts looted or lost from the Iraqi National Museum after the fall of Baghdad was significantly exaggerated.

Of the 170,000 initially thought to be missing, 3,000 remain unaccounted for. These are mostly not worthy of museum exhibition and include items such as small shards of pottery.

The official said 47 main exhibition items are missing. A total of 64 pieces from that collection had been looted, said the coalition announcement.

• Reply 158 of 172
    Quote:

U.S. military commanders have rejected the charges, saying the museum was not on the list of sites their troops were ordered to secure upon entering the city.

It's funny that you'll link to an article that incriminates your side of the argument.

The article says that things have been returned. How does that mean the museum wasn't looted in the first place?
  • Reply 159 of 172
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Yours?

Yes.
  • Reply 160 of 172
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Message withdrawn to avoid feeding a troll.