GM ditching CarPlay & Android Auto for Google-built infotainment system

Comments

• Reply 21 of 152
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    illrigger said:
    That's Volvo/Polestar, Nissan/Mitsubishi/Renault, GM, Ford/Lincoln, Honda/Acura, VW Group, and now Chevrolet that are all-in on Android Automotive, with several others using it as their base without the Google services.

It's not shocking, it's all about money. Apple's Carplay integration requires the carmakers to still develop a local OS and GUI for those who don't have an iPhone, and presumably they have to pay Apple some licensing fees on top. Android Automotive *is* the operating system so no external reliance needs to be assumed, and presumably Google is both aiding in integration and probably covering part of the costs. In the end, automakers get a cohesive car OS that has top-notch navigation and all the apps people want, and Google does all the work for them.

In a day when the software that runs the car is as important if not more so as the hardware, anything that makes the job easier and cheaper for carmakers is going to get their money. Apple dropped the ball here by focusing on making people need to buy more of their products instead of working with the automakers to give them what they need, and Google has been more than happy to pick it up and run it home.

Apple CarPlay is 100% free to automakers.   They do not pay a dime

edited March 2023 magman1979hcrefugeechasmdarkvaderSpitbathpulseimagesjas99auxiojahblademystigo
  • Reply 22 of 152
    From this article below, over 75% of car buyers require CarPlay.   This move is going to massively backfire on GM.   It detaches iPhone users in their car from Apple Maps, iMessage, Podcasts, Apple Music, Siri, Contacts, Calendar and thousands of other apps. 

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/news/apple-carplay-scares-automakers-1234733424/

Just sit back and watch this disaster unfold 
    magman1979hcrefugeechasmapplebynatureravnorodomjas99jahbladebloggerblog
  • Reply 23 of 152
    emoeller said:
    I and my family have owned Toyota vehicles for decades  (still drive a 2011 Prius and 2002 Tacoma PU), but I'll never purchase another one because of their long standing obstinance to include Apole CarPlay (they now offer it in most models).   This is a huge mistake for GM - but then again I have never purchased a GM car or truck.  I have a Tesla Cybertruck slot (expect delivery in early 2024) - but if Elon doesn't get on board with CarPlay I'll probably opt out.

”…expect delivery in early 2024”    LoL 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 152
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    We'll be sticking with our Lincolns.  No GM for us ever now.
    eightzerochasmjas99
  • Reply 25 of 152
    Do any aftermarket vendors offer sound system replacements with CarPlay?
    darkvader
  • Reply 26 of 152
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    GM will remotely immobilize the car if it does not receive the subscription fees. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 27 of 152
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Definitely. There are many. 
    chasmpscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 152
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member

First they go from Boston Acoustics to crummy Bose on their sound systems. Now they want Google spyware built-in. Cool, cool. Goodbye GM cars for us.

Friggin' automatic lock on my recent model Chevy only works half the time.

magman1979jas99MARKSTAR
  • Reply 29 of 152
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Until Google drops it.
    chasmigorskydarkvaderwilliamlondonjas99
  • Reply 30 of 152
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member
    I don’t even consider a car that doesn’t have carplay.
    eightzerochasmigorskydanoxSpitbath2morrowravnorodomjas99mystigobloggerblog
  • Reply 31 of 152
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Dooofus said:
    I hope this is the final nail in the coffin of a brand that's been dead to many of us for decades.
    Yep. "I have owned by very last GM product." -me, about 1987.
    jas99MARKSTARpscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 152
    PancakePancake Posts: 42member
    I like this move by GM. It will make car buying much easier for me next time as I won’t have to consider any one of their vehicles! 
    eightzerodocbburkhcrefugeechasmigorskywilliamlondonSpitbathjas99mystigobloggerblog
  • Reply 33 of 152
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    GM will remotely immobilize the car if it does not receive the subscription fees. 
    You laugh. It's coming. And on more than the infotainment system. 
    missiongrey
  • Reply 34 of 152
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Dooofus said:
    I hope this is the final nail in the coffin of a brand that's been dead to many of us for decades.
    GM died in 2009. Its shareholders lost all the money. Then it IPOed again. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigman/2013/10/30/how-general-motors-was-really-saved-the-untold-true-story-of-the-most-important-bankruptcy-in-u-s-history/?sh=6e9a94417eea
  • Reply 35 of 152
    red oak said:
    illrigger said:
    That's Volvo/Polestar, Nissan/Mitsubishi/Renault, GM, Ford/Lincoln, Honda/Acura, VW Group, and now Chevrolet that are all-in on Android Automotive, with several others using it as their base without the Google services.

It's not shocking, it's all about money. Apple's Carplay integration requires the carmakers to still develop a local OS and GUI for those who don't have an iPhone, and presumably they have to pay Apple some licensing fees on top. Android Automotive *is* the operating system so no external reliance needs to be assumed, and presumably Google is both aiding in integration and probably covering part of the costs. In the end, automakers get a cohesive car OS that has top-notch navigation and all the apps people want, and Google does all the work for them.

In a day when the software that runs the car is as important if not more so as the hardware, anything that makes the job easier and cheaper for carmakers is going to get their money. Apple dropped the ball here by focusing on making people need to buy more of their products instead of working with the automakers to give them what they need, and Google has been more than happy to pick it up and run it home.

Apple CarPlay is 100% free to automakers.   They do not pay a dime

Not sure where you get that idea. Carplay accessory development is covered under the MFi program.

MFi Program (apple.com)

It places all kinds of restrictions on automakers and requires them to jump through all kinds of hoops to get their products approved.
    muthuk_vanalingamravnorodom9secondkox2bloggerblog
  • Reply 36 of 152
    Japhey said:
    Definitely. There are many. 
    And almost all of them fit inside a DIN-style slot in the dash, which for the most part has not been present in cars made in the last half a decade. You can still put in aftermarket stuff, but it's not easy or cheap to do anymore - the automakers have made sure of it.
    CloudTalkinpscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 152
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,718member
    So basically GM chose Android Auto by a different brand name from the same
     company. 

CarPlay is superior. These folks are just being lame. 

When you literally have the option of giving the customer a choice snd you choose the more difficult route of removing thst choice, you know it’s political. 

It’s been proven that apple builds the more robust, more secure software. GM purposely going for the second rate stuff is quite telling. 
    jas99
  • Reply 38 of 152
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,718member
    Hmph. Google GPS will probably take you to five other places before you get to where you want to go.
    Lol

Because it’s so true. I don’t use the Google GPS anymore. It literally has me going down a road, then telling me to I turn. Then upturn again to get back where I started before finally telling me to take the right I should have taken 10 minutes ago. 

Having travelled to numerous states in the last 6 months, it’s been a nightmare. Apple Maps on the other hand, has proven reliably accurate. How times have changed. 
    jas99bloggerblog
  • Reply 39 of 152
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

I refuse to give my money to companies that exhibit anti-consumer behaviour.

chasm9secondkox2jas99pscooter63bloggerblog
  • Reply 40 of 152
    docbburkdocbburk Posts: 109member
    The subscription money grab crosses all GM off my list. The fact that they want to collect data with a google on board is another big no! Google will have access to all that data, likely offering to help analyze it for GM, blah blah blah. Then they will poorly anonymize it so that third party data brokers can sell the data in a fashion that makes it easier to identify the user. This is a repeating issue. I have no intentions of allowing 2 parasites to attach to me. 
    chasmaaplfanboydiz_geekbloggerblog