GM ditching CarPlay & Android Auto for Google-built infotainment system

Comments

• Reply 81 of 152
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    When GM says they want to generate $25B/year from subscription fees, that's probably a typo. I think GM makes about $8B/year from selling vehicles. The idea that a subscription service that works inside those vehicles can result in triple the profit of making all those cars and trucks seems ludicrous. It was probably a typo, and should have said "GM wants to generate $25 million/year from subscription fees."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw
    edited March 2023 JohnDinEUOferchasm
  • Reply 82 of 152
    Everyone is sh on GM which I don’t understand. Think a little further. Apple will come with a car, so you want a competitor running your car? As it stated, you can still play your music via Bluetooth so what’s the deal? Will Apple allow GM to run its phone? They don’t even allow a 2nd App store. GM and others are clever enough you can receive a call or let you listen to your music. Stop the drama. Thank you. 
    dewme9secondkox2Ofer
  • Reply 83 of 152
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    Hey GM! Sign me up immediately! I mean, why would I want to continue using CarPlay when I can pay monthly fees forever for a system designed by the world’s worst abuser of consumer privacy so you can track, package and sell every bit of data that car sensors, microphones and cameras can wring out of me and my passengers. 

Buh-bye GM. 
    9secondkox2mdwychoffchasm
  • Reply 84 of 152
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    JohnDinEU said:
    Everyone is sh on GM which I don’t understand. Think a little further. Apple will come with a car, so you want a competitor running your car? As it stated, you can still play your music via Bluetooth so what’s the deal? Will Apple allow GM to run its phone? They don’t even allow a 2nd App store. GM and others are clever enough you can receive a call or let you listen to your music. Stop the drama. Thank you. 
    GM cars are not close to the top car makers, over the years they have done just about everything wrong and usually they blame the guys on the assembly line for all their trouble, despite the fact that most of their problems have been in the front office, they seem to make bad decisions as a matter of habit, if there is a way for GM to shoot themselves in the head or the foot or any other place on the body, they will do it.
  • Reply 85 of 152
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    I don't suppose the GM XLT came over from Blackberry?
  • Reply 86 of 152
    General Motors plans to gradually replace CarPlay and Android Auto in its vehicles, in favor of an in-house infotainment system developed with Google, leaning on subscription services.
    Alright, you finally got the digital lesson GM. You should make a custom-designed OS and lock your customers in. Just too bad that is a strategy from the 1990’ies. Something even customers back then hated.

But I believe in you. You will change the digital world …cos GM has a splendid track record of doing just that.
    edited April 2023 Ofer
  • Reply 87 of 152
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 210member
    Fully understand GM. Never wanted a device dependent on another device. That’s why I never liked the Apple watch. However, I also don’t want a subscription based car entertainment system. I think I stick to my 2002 Lexus LX470 for the foreseeable future…:)
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 88 of 152
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    Good luck with that GM. My wife who bought Toyotas bought a Subaru in 2018. The only reason she bought the Subaru was because Toyota didn’t have CarPlay. Now she likes the Subaru and will probably never get another Toyota. Probably several cars they will lose out on because of greed. 
    edited April 2023 9secondkox2Ofermystigo
  • Reply 89 of 152
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Call me old fashioned (or just old) but your job as a driver is to DRIVE. Being distracted by entertainment is simply irresponsible. 
    9secondkox2Ofer
  • Reply 90 of 152
    Disappointing. The Ultium battery platform developed by GM appears to be a good one for EVs. The article is saying that music/calls would still be available through Bluetooth so it's not a complete non-starter in terms of buying a GM EV. I think it will come down to what types of functions/terms GM decides on per the subscription part and the data sharing/privacy part that would make/break buying a GM EV for a lot of people. IMO, they'll need to offer really good terms to pull this off. 
    edited April 2023 9secondkox2Oferchasm
  • Reply 91 of 152
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    emoeller said:
    I and my family have owned Toyota vehicles for decades  (still drive a 2011 Prius and 2002 Tacoma PU), but I'll never purchase another one because of their long standing obstinance to include Apole CarPlay (they now offer it in most models).   This is a huge mistake for GM - but then again I have never purchased a GM car or truck.  I have a Tesla Cybertruck slot (expect delivery in early 2024) - but if Elon doesn't get on board with CarPlay I'll probably opt out.
    Elon will likely NEVER allow CarPlay on his cars as it takes control out of his hands. I’m the one who pairs tens of thousands for MY vehicle. No CarPlay, no sale. 
    9secondkox2Oferchasm
  • Reply 92 of 152
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    dewme said:
    Wow.  Dick move, GM.  Greed is still clearly alive and well at a certain GM HQ.  You want to make a new interface that's better, fine, do it.  Don't charge people for your closed ecosystem that we already know will be inferior.  Sorry, gotta go, someone calling me on my flip phone.  Assholes.
    I don’t particularly like GM but it is no different than what Apple does with the iPhone. The vehicle is the car manufacturer’s platform and they want to control and profit from the whole experience.
    False comparison. iPhone is the platform and I am free to use Apple apps that come with it, or any third party competitor I prefer. If Apple were to prohibit third party apps, then your comparison would be apt. 
    Not true. You can only use third party apps, subscription services, payment systems, platform hardware services, etc., that Apple approves and allows. Apple has a "walled garden" which I personally love because they keep it fairly tidy. GM simply wants to have a "walled cabin" or "walled cockpit," or whatever you want to call it. I'm 100% in favor of allowing these "walled" systems no matter who builds and owns them.

It doesn't matter whether these "walled" systems allow zero third parties or an unlimited number of third parties or even second parties within their walls, there is still a gate keeper and anyone who wants in but is not let in is going to raise a stink about it, even if they are also the owner of their own "walled" system. 

I'm sure Apple is looking at GM's success or failure around this initiative with a lot of interest. Maybe it's time for someone else to take all of the arrows for a change.
    Agree with everything except the “not true” part. Because car manufacturers, just like Apple, must approve CarPlay by facilitating its use. No difference. You can “hack” the system by installing a third party radio with CarPlay, but that’s the same as jailbreaking your phone for unauthorized apps isn’t it?
    Ofer
  • Reply 93 of 152
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    After posting the above it occurred to me that with the rapid shift from DIN or Double DIN radios in cars to embedded-in-tablet-screen radios that the days of third party radios may be numbered. 
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 94 of 152
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    larryjw said:
    Call me old fashioned (or just old) but your job as a driver is to DRIVE. Being distracted by entertainment is simply irresponsible. 
    You drive in silence, and never use GPS?
    9secondkox2chasmmacxpress
  • Reply 95 of 152
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    chutzpah said:
    larryjw said:
    I always drive in silence. I almost always avoid using GPS. I never talk to passengers. I never assume it's safe to drive through a green light. I pull over to let pushy drivers pass even when I'm not legally required to.

The only thing I don't do, that I should, is wear a helmet when I drive my car. I'm not sure if air bags and visors on helmets would be a safe combination, though. The visor may shatter into my face.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 96 of 152
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    chutzpah said:
    larryjw said:
    Or use the radio? Even in a 1970's car there's a radio. Did they throw that out the window first thing? Jesus its not like people are playing Solitaire while driving 80mph down the interstate lol. Infotainment systems are there to enhance the driving experience not hinder it. If it hinders it then that manufacturer failed. 

Are they honestly saying that seeing the GPS in the dash, or now even in the gauge cluster is a distraction? So is looking at a paper map while driving trying to figure out what the hell its displaying. Being able to take a phone call wirelessly without holding the phone is a plus versus physically picking it up and holding it. Being able to do speech to text instead of typing while driving is a plus. Seeing information in your windshield with a heads up display is a plus versus looking downward to see information. Setting the temperature of the cabin (with dual climate zones in most vehicles) and having the computer adjust it automatically is a plus versus constantly adjusting it manually with your eyes away from the road. 

Maybe he is old fashion but that doesn't mean he's safer by any means. 
    edited April 2023 chasm
  • Reply 97 of 152
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Wait…entertainment system? I sure hope there’s some self-driving tech in there somewhere, bcoz to trust a  driver behind the wheel with an entertainment system at their fingertips is a catastrophe waiting to happen. 

Oh, yeah, and how much corporate welfare (taxpayer dollars) does the automobile industry get again?
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 98 of 152
    HMIHMI Posts: 1member
    I was looking at some Chevy cars, and now might have to reconsider altogether.  SMH
    edited April 2023 9secondkox2
  • Reply 99 of 152
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    The more I think about this, the more I think it’s a fear based political move. Apple has been working on their own car for a while now. It has to be getting close. So GM and the others removing customer choice thinking they’re “sticking it to Apple” as a competitor. 

All they’re really doing is failing to read the room. 
    chasm
  • Reply 100 of 152
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    larryjw said:
    Geez, Larry. It has been a minute since the horse and buggy days, which must be the "good ole days" you're yearning for. A telephone was first installed in a car in 1910. Radios have been cars in the early 1920s. CB radios went into trucks in the 1940s. FM radios arrived in the 1950s. The first 8-track tape decks in 1965. The first GPS in 1990. So, unless you're the world's oldest human who drove a horse back in the day, entertainment has been a part of driving cars almost from the very beginning.