GM ditching CarPlay & Android Auto for Google-built infotainment system

Comments

• Reply 61 of 152
    Sorry GM. With the exception of Silverado pickup truck I married into (the wife had one), you lost me decades ago to Toyota and Honda.  At my age and the way those vehicles wear, I don't foresee buying ANY vehicles, much less ANY GM products in my future. And stunts like this further dissuade me from darkening the door of a Chevy/Buick/Cadillac (no 'HUMMERS' ever) dealership even if a new one becomes necessary. If I am forced to go electric, I'll go Tesla. 
    chasmWhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 62 of 152
    That would be a total dealbreaker for me.  I made the mistake of buying a Sony tv without paying enough attention to realize it uses an android operating system.  I will never again buy anything with a Google operating system. 

I currently drive a 2022 Cadillac Blackwing, which I love, but they'll lose my business with a move like that.
    WhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 63 of 152
    I saw “Subscription Service” and immediately I want nothing to do with it.
    No kidding.

Pay tens of thousands of dollars for a vehicle and SUBSCRIBE to an A/V subscription?

Besides, I would NEVER buy an American vehicle.
    WhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 64 of 152
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    lkrupp said:
    camber said:
    I have driven a Buick since 2007 - one new, then a used one. I would love to have CarPlay in my vehicle. I absolutely abhor the subscription model. I dropped both OnStar and Serius XM radio because they used subscriptions. I will never subscribe to Apple Music because of the monthly payment. I know, you probably think I am an old curmudgeon. I am older but I do have the dollars to buy a new vehicle and GM just lost all chance of me buying a new Buick. I won't even comment on the gathering of personal data other that to say I will never permit it when I have a choice. Incredibly bad move GM!
    Oh god, you don't subscribe to Apple Music so you have no need for Car Play yet you will never buy another GM car because of this. And the article clearly states that this only applies to their EVs, NOT combustion powered vehicles which they don't plan on stopping production of until 2035. If anything this move will INCREASE the sales of GM combustion powered vehicles and IMPEDE the sales of their EVs. Twelve years is a long time to reconsider you know.

I've heard some batshit crazy logic before  but yours tastes the cake.
    CarPlay allows for significantly more than Apple Music.  If you're going to be a curmudgeonly asshole then try and get your facts straight.
    chasmpscooter63bloggerblog
  • Reply 65 of 152
    This is a total dealbreaker for me. I’ve had three Equinoxes and they’ve all been pretty reliable. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion in my mind that I’d get the EV Equinox but if CarPlay isn’t available, forget it. Way to alienate your customers GM!
    edited March 2023 larryaWhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 66 of 152
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    We drive a Chevy Bolt EV and find that it is a good value. Use ApplePlay always. The day they remove that functionality will be the day we trade up for another brand. 
  • Reply 67 of 152
    ukrunrukrunr Posts: 21member
    tdknox said:
    lkrupp said:
    Wow.  Dick move, GM.  Greed is still clearly alive and well at a certain GM HQ.  You want to make a new interface that's better, fine, do it.  Don't charge people for your closed ecosystem that we already know will be inferior.  Sorry, gotta go, someone calling me on my flip phone.  Assholes.
    "Wow. dick move, GM." You should have stopped there. That said it all. Which reminds me, does anyone still subscribe to Sirius XM? iOS and Android phone users EXPECT their cars to work with their devices now.
    I still subscribe, because I haven’t been able to stay on the phone long enough to get it cancelled. 😄
    I recently got a SiriusXM subscription cancelled on one of my vehicles. In the past you HAD to phone them for cancellation, and that is what I tried on a Saturday, only to be informed they only support those phones lines M-F. However, I then actually noticed that there was a link on the account page for cancellations, it took me to a chat channel, that was answered on a Saturday, and while I still had to go through 10 levels of "why I don't want your service", the whole process did take less than 5 minutes. You should try it :-)

And, yes, there are plenty of better ways to listen to music than SiriusXM, and substantially cheaper, but if you're happy with SiriusXM then good for you, but your loss.

On the GM side of the house, not the wisest move for GM to promote its EV vehicles. It's not going to affect me anyhow, one of my vehicles is a GM - a '67 Camaro, so missing CarPlay is not really impacting my experience there. The biggest impediment I have to buying another GM car is of their own doing. I recently visited the Corvette museum and I would probably go for a new Z06, but apparently there's a 2 yr waiting list, and the cars are going for 100% over dealer price, so a $150k car going for $260-$300k. C'mon. Even when GM get it right, they still get it wrong.

CarPlay is a must have for me now for regular driving. I retrofitted CarPlay systems into two of my vehicles and they integrate extremely well and transform the experience. Wouldn't buy a new vehicle without it.
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 68 of 152
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    lkrupp said:
    Another consideration for this move is that GM expects to be in direct competition with Apple in the EV market in the near future. An Apple EV would be sure to leverage Car Play, or its successor, to the hilt.
    If Apple does eventually build a car, I bet that they will seek to have total control over everything that goes into what they consider to be their private ecosystem. 

Putting aside the privacy concerns and data harvesting stink that seems to follow around anything Google related, which makes GM’s partnering relationships look bad, how is GM’s desire to exert total control over how content and payments for such content get collected within their portfolio of products any different than Apple’s desire to do the same exact thing on their products like iPhone, iPad, and HomePod?

Apple fans attacking GM for blocking CarPlay on some GM products sounds a whole lot like Google fans or (try not to puke) Epic fans attacking Apple for disallowing apps, subsystems, or subscription services from those companies on some Apple products. 

I’ve always been a supporter of companies like Apple having total control over the systems they build. If GM wants to attempt to do the same thing with some of their products, I’m totally supportive of them. Just like us Apple fans always tell those who oppose Apple’s restrictions to “If you don’t like it go buy an Android” I fully expect GM fans to say “If you don’t like it go buy a Ford, Honda, etc.”

If Apple builds a full car does anyone think they’ll voluntarily open up their cabin system to non-Apple accessories, third party add-ons, and third party subscription based infotainment content? Umm, no, unless they’re forced to. 

Whether this strategy by GM will succeed is more interesting to me than anything having to do with who they allow to play inside their “Walled Cabin.” GM’s history with trying to do everything in-house or reinvent themselves has not gone well at all. Moving from internal combustion engines to electric motors is not going to redefine GM’s relationship with their labor unions, supply chains, distribution channels, and dealer networks. GM has always had so much inertia to overcome. That is their kryptonite. 

GM has much bigger challenges that won’t be influenced much or at all by whether they have an open or closed cabin system on certain products. The fact that they are limiting their approach to only certain models indicates to me that they’ll keep their options open just in case this grand (ad)venture fails like many others have failed. 
    edited March 2023 pscooter63
  • Reply 69 of 152
    From my very first vehicle in 1994 (84 ElCamino) up to my 2001 Blazer Xtreme, I was a die hard Chevy fan. But was getting annoyed with them because they weren't adding any new technology features in any of their new cars. No iPod connections, no Bluetooth, no HID or LED lighting (they had the worst functioning headlights, flashlights would have worked better) dollar store speakers and still...STILL a 4 speed transmission. All the cool stuff the imports were putting in their vehicles, GM seemingly refused to do the same. It was like management was well over 100 years old.

So when I needed a new vehicle in 2012 because, why else, the engine died at 97,000 miles, exactly at the time when my credit was at it's lowest, all I could get approved for was a returned 2012 Kia Soul with 24,000 miles on it already at a very high interest rate. All my domestic car loving friends tried to keep me from "turning to the dark side." LOL But that little Kia turned out to be THE BEST car I've ever owned. I could actually see at night thanks to their current century optics, I had an iPod connection and Bluetooth. Much better sounding speakers WITH bass. Six speed transmission and the red dashboard lighting was a nice touch instead of the boring white and blue in all my Chevy's. Doors closed with a promising thud and made great seals, as opposed to Chevy which all had cheap sounding latches and always leaked. And the interior panels!! UGH! I literally had rags stuffed in every one just to keep them from rattling. I wish I making that up. They were most annoying while idle at a stoplight. The build quality was just horrendous! How did these things make it off the assembly line like that? More concerning, what the hell did I ever see in them?

But not one problem with the Kia. So I had no problem trading it in with 137,000 miles on it (had a girlfriend with two young kids, lots of vacations) for a brand new 2017 Soul. But there was nothing wrong with it! The 17's Alien Green abducted me ;) Both of them have been solid with no issues whatsoever. Never needed anything except regular maintenance. My Chevy's were ALWAYS in the shop. 

I love you, America, but yea, I think I'll stick with the "dark side" on this one because they just make better cars than you.
    Ofer
  • Reply 70 of 152
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    Wow.  Dick move, GM.  Greed is still clearly alive and well at a certain GM HQ.  You want to make a new interface that's better, fine, do it.  Don't charge people for your closed ecosystem that we already know will be inferior.  Sorry, gotta go, someone calling me on my flip phone.  Assholes.
    I don’t particularly like GM but it is no different than what Apple does with the iPhone. The vehicle is the car manufacturer’s platform and they want to control and profit from the whole experience.
    False comparison. iPhone is the platform and I am free to use Apple apps that come with it, or any third party competitor I prefer. If Apple were to prohibit third party apps, then your comparison would be apt. 
  • Reply 71 of 152
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Great, let’s give Google more power to surveil.  Fantastic.  
  • Reply 72 of 152
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    I don’t particularly like GM but it is no different than what Apple does with the iPhone. The vehicle is the car manufacturer’s platform and they want to control and profit from the whole experience.
    False comparison. iPhone is the platform and I am free to use Apple apps that come with it, or any third party competitor I prefer. If Apple were to prohibit third party apps, then your comparison would be apt. 
    Not true. You can only use third party apps, subscription services, payment systems, platform hardware services, etc., that Apple approves and allows. Apple has a "walled garden" which I personally love because they keep it fairly tidy. GM simply wants to have a "walled cabin" or "walled cockpit," or whatever you want to call it. I'm 100% in favor of allowing these "walled" systems no matter who builds and owns them.

It doesn't matter whether these "walled" systems allow zero third parties or an unlimited number of third parties or even second parties within their walls, there is still a gate keeper and anyone who wants in but is not let in is going to raise a stink about it, even if they are also the owner of their own "walled" system. 

I'm sure Apple is looking at GM's success or failure around this initiative with a lot of interest. Maybe it's time for someone else to take all of the arrows for a change.
    Ofer
  • Reply 73 of 152
    ddubsddubs Posts: 2member
    I have 35k miles on a 2021 Yukon and it is the best car I’ve ever driven. We also have a newer, more expensive “luxury” car. Both have CarPlay. I love the Yukon the most, but will never buy a car that doesn’t have it. I’ve already had to rule out the R1S for this exact reason. Good luck GM. 
  • Reply 74 of 152
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    HA HA HA HA, oh, that’s great.  You almost had me with this one.  Happy April Fools Day to AppleInsider and all commenters.

[checks calendar, sees that it’s April 1st here in The Philippines but still March 31st back home in the states]

Wait, what?  !!!
    Oferpscooter63
  • Reply 75 of 152
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    GM probably should’ve done more market research and realized that increasingly, availability of CarPlay (and probably Android Auto) is a significant factor in vehicle purchasing decisions. I have an after-market CarPlay system in an older vehicle, and will be unlikely to choose an eventual replacement that doesn’t have that built in. Also, nobody’s going to buy a new car with the intent of replacing the radio head right away just to get Car Play.  So by ruling iPhone owners out, GM will surely lose more from cars they don’t sell than they’ll gain through taking a cut of app subscriptions or from selling their customers’ data to google. You expect this sort of nonsense from Elon Musk, but GM doesn’t have Tesla’s caché that’ll convince buyers to overlook the annoying inconvenience of incompatibility just to get one of their EVs.

Seriously, how profoundly dumb is it to write off that many customers just as EVs become the dominant type of vehicle and customers take a fresh look at all the vehicle manufacturers to see whose will be better?
    edited March 2023 radarthekat
  • Reply 76 of 152
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    jungmark said:
    Terrible and shortsighted. I won’t be getting a GM car. I don’t want Google or GM to know anything about my driving habits. 
    Of course you are right on that, but I haven't noticed anyone on these forums swear off Smart TVs even though we all know they are sending our watching habits to the manufacturer and/or Google, which is probably even worse than our driving habits.

It's hard to think of anything to say nice of GM's direction, but if they implement a way to allow police to disable GM vehicles who are engaged in felony evasion, I could support that feature.
  • Reply 77 of 152
    When I rent cars (at least 8 times a year), it’s nice to put my phone in and not have to figure out Honda’s stereo system, VW’s, Ford’s, Toyota.  I just plug my phone in and there it is.  A standard way to get maps, make phone calls, use Audible… hey, that’s all the stuff GM will do.

will they have a GM phone too , so I can bring it to other cars I drive?

have only owned one GM car, and that’s enough for a lifetime.
    dewmeradarthekat
  • Reply 78 of 152
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Of course you are right on that, but I haven't noticed anyone on these forums swear off Smart TVs even though we all know they are sending our watching habits to the manufacturer and/or Google, which is probably even worse than our driving habits.
    I was aware of this when I bought my smart TV, so I connected it to the wireless long enough to do the firmware update it needed and then turned off its access. Now it’s a “dumb” TV.

SoI connected my Apple TV 4K to it and let THAT be the “smarts.” Every possible service under the sun, and neither Google, nor Roku (the TV’s original OS) nor the manufacturer gets ONE DROP of data.

And it’s a much better experience to boot!
    Spitbathwaveparticle9secondkox2Anilu_777mystigopscooter63
  • Reply 79 of 152
    I bought the 2023 Chevy Bolt and its been a great commuter car.  it was inexpensive, well equipped with leather, decent Bose speakers and infotainments system with CarPlay.  My one complaint is the $35/month subscription to be able to use all the remote features, though that does include the unlimited internet hotspot, still hate the subscription crap.  If this thing didn't have CarPlay I would have bought something else.

What a dumb decision.
    9secondkox2OferchasmAnilu_777
  • Reply 80 of 152
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    chasm said:
    I was aware of this when I bought my smart TV, so I connected it to the wireless long enough to do the firmware update it needed and then turned off its access. Now it’s a “dumb” TV.

SoI connected my Apple TV 4K to it and let THAT be the “smarts.” Every possible service under the sun, and neither Google, nor Roku (the TV’s original OS) nor the manufacturer gets ONE DROP of data.

And it’s a much better experience to boot!
    You are safe and wise, but maybe not perfectly safe. Some devices have pre-paid SIM cards in them and as long as they have power they can transmit limited amounts of data back to HQ without your knowledge (and without need for WIFI or your network.) More than a few drops of data.
    edited March 2023 Anilu_777