GM ditching CarPlay & Android Auto for Google-built infotainment system

Comments

• Reply 41 of 152
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    camber said:
    I will never subscribe to Apple Music because of the monthly payment. 
    I'm not disagreeing with your comment, but I would just point out that I subscribe to Apple Music with a once-yearly price, which is a substantive discount over the monthly ($100/year versus $10/month). I enjoy the service so it is worth it to me.
  • Reply 42 of 152
    illrigger said:
    red oak said:
    illrigger said:
    That's Volvo/Polestar, Nissan/Mitsubishi/Renault, GM, Ford/Lincoln, Honda/Acura, VW Group, and now Chevrolet that are all-in on Android Automotive, with several others using it as their base without the Google services.

It's not shocking, it's all about money. Apple's Carplay integration requires the carmakers to still develop a local OS and GUI for those who don't have an iPhone, and presumably they have to pay Apple some licensing fees on top. Android Automotive *is* the operating system so no external reliance needs to be assumed, and presumably Google is both aiding in integration and probably covering part of the costs. In the end, automakers get a cohesive car OS that has top-notch navigation and all the apps people want, and Google does all the work for them.

In a day when the software that runs the car is as important if not more so as the hardware, anything that makes the job easier and cheaper for carmakers is going to get their money. Apple dropped the ball here by focusing on making people need to buy more of their products instead of working with the automakers to give them what they need, and Google has been more than happy to pick it up and run it home.

Apple CarPlay is 100% free to automakers.   They do not pay a dime

Not sure where you get that idea. Carplay accessory development is covered under the MFi program.

MFi Program (apple.com)

It places all kinds of restrictions on automakers and requires them to jump through all kinds of hoops to get their products approved.
    It may be a part of the MFi program, but car manufacturers DO NOT pay Apple a fee to license car play in any way whatsoever. Yes, they must make sure their infotainment center can properly display CarPlay, and that's where the manufacturers' job and time/money spent ends. It is a negligible development cost.
    igorskywilliamlondonSpitbathhlee1169mystigo
  • Reply 43 of 152
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    camber said:
    I have driven a Buick since 2007 - one new, then a used one. I would love to have CarPlay in my vehicle. I absolutely abhor the subscription model. I dropped both OnStar and Serius XM radio because they used subscriptions. I will never subscribe to Apple Music because of the monthly payment. I know, you probably think I am an old curmudgeon. I am older but I do have the dollars to buy a new vehicle and GM just lost all chance of me buying a new Buick. I won't even comment on the gathering of personal data other that to say I will never permit it when I have a choice. Incredibly bad move GM!
    Oh god, you don't subscribe to Apple Music so you have no need for Car Play yet you will never buy another GM car because of this. And the article clearly states that this only applies to their EVs, NOT combustion powered vehicles which they don't plan on stopping production of until 2035. If anything this move will INCREASE the sales of GM combustion powered vehicles and IMPEDE the sales of their EVs. Twelve years is a long time to reconsider you know.

I've heard some batshit crazy logic before  but yours tastes the cake.

pscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 152
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Speaking personally, there are some buzzwords in this announcement that pretty much guarantee I'll never buy an GM EV starting with "Google infotainment" and "guaranteed for 8 years".  What a kamikaze announcement to make right as competition in the space begins to heat up.
  • Reply 45 of 152
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Another consideration for this move is that GM expects to be in direct competition with Apple in the EV market in the near future. An Apple EV would be sure to leverage Car Play, or its successor, to the hilt.
    dewme
  • Reply 46 of 152
    Another reason not to buy a GM EV. 
  • Reply 47 of 152
    it reads: We really don't care about 76% of the market, so we are removing something they consider an essential feature.

For the rest, it's one more thing we don't have in your expensive new vehicle.

Pay up!
  • Reply 48 of 152
    Wow.  Dick move, GM.  Greed is still clearly alive and well at a certain GM HQ.  You want to make a new interface that's better, fine, do it.  Don't charge people for your closed ecosystem that we already know will be inferior.  Sorry, gotta go, someone calling me on my flip phone.  Assholes.
    I don’t particularly like GM but it is no different than what Apple does with the iPhone. The vehicle is the car manufacturer’s platform and they want to control and profit from the whole experience.
    williamlondondewmepscooter63
  • Reply 49 of 152
    illrigger said:
    That's Volvo/Polestar, Nissan/Mitsubishi/Renault, GM, Ford/Lincoln, Honda/Acura, VW Group, and now Chevrolet that are all-in on Android Automotive, with several others using it as their base without the Google services.

It's not shocking, it's all about money. Apple's Carplay integration requires the carmakers to still develop a local OS and GUI for those who don't have an iPhone, and presumably they have to pay Apple some licensing fees on top. Android Automotive *is* the operating system so no external reliance needs to be assumed, and presumably Google is both aiding in integration and probably covering part of the costs. In the end, automakers get a cohesive car OS that has top-notch navigation and all the apps people want, and Google does all the work for them.

In a day when the software that runs the car is as important if not more so as the hardware, anything that makes the job easier and cheaper for carmakers is going to get their money. Apple dropped the ball here by focusing on making people need to buy more of their products instead of working with the automakers to give them what they need, and Google has been more than happy to pick it up and run it home.
    First of all it's definitely not about money and definitely all about collecting data. If it was about money why not just have blank screen that will work with whatever smartphone OS you plug into it?  There goes the cost of developing a complicated local OS and GUI.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 152
    Wow.  Dick move, GM.  Greed is still clearly alive and well at a certain GM HQ.  You want to make a new interface that's better, fine, do it.  Don't charge people for your closed ecosystem that we already know will be inferior.  Sorry, gotta go, someone calling me on my flip phone.  Assholes.
    I don’t particularly like GM but it is no different than what Apple does with the iPhone. The vehicle is the car manufacturer’s platform and they want to control and profit from the whole experience.
    You are absolutely correct.  This is a free market and GM is absolutely entitled to sabotage their own product.
    DAalsethwilliamlondonSpitbathdewme
  • Reply 51 of 152
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Terrible and shortsighted. I won’t be getting a GM car. I don’t want Google or GM to know anything about my driving habits. 
  • Reply 52 of 152
    Wow, just the dumbest, most anti-consumer move they could've announced. I've recently been a total evangelist for their Bolt and Bolt EUVs due to their low cost and great features— features like wireless CarPlay regardless of trim level. But boy howdy, I hear Ford's BlueCruise is as good as GM's SuperCruise now, so uh, see ya peace GM!
  • Reply 53 of 152
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    How many times have auto manufacturers either not supported CarPlay/Android Auto and ended up supporting them. These are a standard in the automotive industry whether you use an iPhone or and Android phone. Not supporting these is a major drawback to a lot of customers. Toyota tried this as well and failed miserably and ended up just supporting CarPlay and Android Auto. Why not just use the tools Apple and Google have already provided to you. No need to reinvent the wheel for little to no gain in the end. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 152
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 88member
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    "Wow. dick move, GM." You should have stopped there. That said it all. Which reminds me, does anyone still subscribe to Sirius XM? iOS and Android phone users EXPECT their cars to work with their devices now.
    We subscribe for both cars. Still the best way to easily listen to music in a car.
    Not really. We've used Sirius XM for their trial periods and found it underwhelming (4 new cars in past 6 years). One family member referred to Sirius XM as "the AOL of radio." We've been listeners to RadioParadise for several years now and found that it is the best option that I've heard by far. Apple Music is gaining appeal as well. 

Of course, everyone's tastes are different. 
    Spitbath
  • Reply 55 of 152
    They build unreliable vehicles, this just makes me hate them even more.
    danoxpscooter63
  • Reply 56 of 152
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sirdir said:
    I don’t even consider a car that doesn’t have carplay.
    I don't see where GM said you would no longer be able to use Carplay. 
  • Reply 57 of 152
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    I have been around a long time. I bought six permanent transferrable XM Radio licenses many years ago. The license is permanent with no monthly fees.

My 2012 Ram has a permanent XM license and there were no other subscriptions at that time. My 2021 Land Cruiser's vintage control system allowed for one of my permanent licenses and there are no other options. My wife's 2020 Toyota Rav4 does have subscriptions but we reinstalled an existing permanent XM radio license.

If you have a cell phone from the last five years or so, forget anonymity as the Cell providers can provide your track to within a small radius depending on the cell tower concentrations. They know where you are in the malls too.

With the IOT, I expect that as I walk into the bathroom in a mall, a voice will tell me toilet has the most toilet paper left on the roll.....

I am done with the Ford/GM worlds. We have migrated from Mercedes to Toyota and see no need to vary from that course. We purchased Toyotas because there is a nearby dealership at our summer place in the White Mountains (Show Low, AZ) and the Phoenix area and the brand has a sterling reliability record. Our Ram is a tow vehicle for our Airstream and not a daily driver  so it will last me at age 78 to the end of the road for me.
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 58 of 152
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    So basically GM chose Android Auto by a different brand name from the same
     company. 

CarPlay is superior. These folks are just being lame. 

When you literally have the option of giving the customer a choice snd you choose the more difficult route of removing thst choice, you know it’s political. 

It’s been proven that apple builds the more robust, more secure software. GM purposely going for the second rate stuff is quite telling. 
    Android Automotive is not the same as Android Auto.  Research the difference. This link will give you a good start.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/android-auto-vs-android-automotive-vs-google-automotive-services/

As for Google monetizing the technology, well of course they will. Apple will too. Neither company is a charity. 

"With the next generation of CarPlay, Apple will fully control the dashboard, essentially tripling its in-car real estate. The new UI will allow for Apple to control and monitor root functions of the car (such as speed, engine temp, windows, blind spot monitoring, HVAC, tire pressure, etc.) Gaining control of these root functions is notable because it effectively shifts the in-car experience from the hands of the carmaker over to Apple...

With the next generation of CarPlay, Apple will fully control the dashboard, essentially tripling its in-car real estate. The new UI will allow for Apple to control and monitor root functions of the car (such as speed, engine temp, windows, blind spot monitoring, HVAC, tire pressure, etc.) Gaining control of these root functions is notable because it effectively shifts the in-car experience from the hands of the carmaker over to Apple...  The new UI will allow developers to add payments into CarPlay for purchasing fuel at gas stations. One important missing piece is understanding how Apple would make money. The current App Store Terms of Service allow Apple to charge a 15-30% take rate for in-app purchases of digital goods. Physical goods are monetized through Apple Pay, which carries a take rate of less than 0.5%."

edited March 2023
  • Reply 59 of 152
    I can see it now.  I'm in my new GM EV and I want to change the temperature in the cabin.  Tap a "Climate Controls" button, wait for a 15-second ad to play. Tap "A/C", wait through another 15-second ad, tap "Temperature", wait though another 15-second ad, etc.
    edited March 2023 rundhvidnrg2
  • Reply 60 of 152
    glhglh Posts: 17member
    Remember MCX (Merchant Customer Exchange)? It was going to be used at many major stores and did not allow Apple Pay or other contactless payments. It didn't last long.
    chasmmystigo