If you had a million dollars...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...what would you do?

Me?

1. Buy a house. Something small and cozy and then I'd do it up nice and make it "me" on the inside. One room would be pumpkin orange, another sunflower yellow, then mint green, navy blue, etc.

2. A 17" PowerBook, fully loaded (RAM, max hard drive), connected to a 23" Cinema Display (main computer)

3. Two iMacs throughout house for guests to surf, listen to music. Have all Macs in house networked (AirPort I guess?) and always on, always connected, songs synchronized, etc.

4. Have Orange County Choppers build me a motorcycle of my design (metalflake orange finish, of course)

5. Pay off my Saturn

6. Buy a couple of guitars I've always wanted (a Gretsch like Brian Setzer plays) and Telecaster with a B-string bender

7. Travel: Italy first, then Ireland, England, Spain and Australia

8. A nice entertainment center (big, widescreen flat TV and DVD player and speakers all around)

9. Attend 5-8 races a year in person (Bristol, Daytona, Vegas, Darlington, etc. The "good" ones)

10. Outback once a week, Subway on Tuesdays.

Save the rest and occasionally donate to charities or organizations I find worthwhile (Make a Wish, St. Jude's, etc.)

And you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Essentially the same thing. Minus the guitars.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Something entirely selfish.

17 inch PowerBook

Mercedes

Tuition at the college of my choice

Oh man the possibilities...
  • Reply 3 of 72
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Are we really getting to the point where Macs and college tuition are associated with winning/getting large sums of money?

I would....

Use it to leverage for a large piece of real estate or two. Most property rents for at least 1% of what it is worth. So with 25% down I could buy a 4 million dollar piece of property. The income would be at least $40k a month, figure half that to pay off the mortgage. I can retire off the rest (I think I could get by on 20k a month) Then leave a nice 4-8million dollar property to my kids. (depending on appreciation)

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 72
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Are we really getting to the point where Macs and college tuition are associated with winning/getting large sums of money?

Sadly, yes

Quote:

Use it to leverage for a large piece of real estate or two. Most property rents for at least 1% of what it is worth. So with 25% down I could buy a 4 million dollar piece of property. The income would be at least $40k a month, figure half that to pay off the mortgage. I can retire off the rest (I think I could get by on 20k a month) Then leave a nice 4-8million dollar property to my kids. (depending on appreciation)

Boring old fuddy-dud...where's the gold-plated helicopter?!?!

Just kidding...
  • Reply 5 of 72
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'd get a 15" powerbook (WITH AppleCare, mind you). Maybe a new motorcycle. Not sure which, but in any case, NOT a chopper. More like a sports machine, but not extreme like the Yamaha R1. Rather like the Honda CBR blackbird. That should be about it. Maybe an external firewire harddisk too.

Get somewhere to live? I don't think so. I'm not nearly ready to buy something. I'll be renting. Putting the money in the bank, and, like, donating part of the intrests to whomever I'd feel like donating to.

ShawnPatrickJoyce, coming from a family of Mercedes driving madmen & women, I'd recommend you not drive one. They are pompous & big & made for tottering old men with fat bellies. Nothing for a boy who considers himself a young leftist on the coming up. How about an Audi?
  • Reply 6 of 72
    New Powermac with big ass LCD.

Marmot Hydrogen Sleeping Bag.

Stephenson's 2R or 3R tent.

A new Ranger or Tacoma with raised suspension for going up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie.

A nice dark brown brick house with lots of windows and a huge ass deck. Steep, angular roof.

A subscription to Le Monde for groverat.

500 or 600 mm lens for mad skills of small looking big.

Resoled Birkenstocks.

Legal Software.

Pasta and Burritos.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    If I had a million dollars...I could almost afford the downpayment on a property in Santa Monica half the size of the shack in Montana that Unabomber Ted Kaszinsky lived in.

grrr!
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

ShawnPatrickJoyce, coming from a family of Mercedes driving madmen & women, I'd recommend you not drive one. They are pompous & big & made for tottering old men with fat bellies. Nothing for a boy who considers himself a young leftist on the coming up. How about an Audi?

Acceptable.

• Reply 9 of 72
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'd probably blow it on drugs and hookers. but i'd have one hell of a time doing it. and if, perchance, i didn od or nuthin, i'd buy myself a really big house, and live off whatever is left over. if i had enough, i'd buy some politicans so i could effect change in this terrible republic i endur.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'd probably blow it on drugs and hookers.

I'd buy a plane ticket to wherever this dude was hanging out.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    student loan and debt repayment are obvious but boring choices.

if we choose to stick to the 'exciting' expenditures...

space tourism...

definitely. doubly likely to go if i could take a hot date and test some orbital lovin while watching sunrise/set every 90 minutes (for scientific purposes, of course)

new transportation...

i'm ready... is Moller?

archival...

some museum collections to appreciate and contrast with the newly nano tech toys i'd get:

a signed Apple 1 to contrast my new 970Book

original monitor to contrast my new 30"ACDHD

< Dr. Evil voice >

now, for one Billion dollars....

< /Dr. Evil voice >
  • Reply 12 of 72
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    with one million Dollar :

- i will finish to pay all my personal credits

- change all my macs (15 000 $)

- change the family car for a V6 one (45 000 $)

- make my house bigger

- stockpile the rest.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Hmm, I wouldn't feel like a tottering old man with a fat belly driving a CLK 55 AMG Cabrio

• Reply 14 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'd probably blow it on drugs and hookers. but i'd have one hell of a time doing it. and if, perchance, i didn od or nuthin, i'd buy myself a really big house, and live off whatever is left over. if i had enough, i'd buy some politicans so i could effect change in this terrible republic i endur.

The sad part is that a million dollars could not even buy you a house seat anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd give it all to a good cause: Al Sharpton's campaign for president.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    For Republicans, there is no greater cause.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    I'd buy an exotic pet. Like a llama. Or an emu.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

The sad part is that a million dollars could not even buy you a house seat anymore.

but you can buy some really cool immersive chairs for less than that

• Reply 19 of 72
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Hmmm... I'd probably buy a BMW M3, then invest the rest. Even a 5% return would net me ~50k/yr. Then I can work for a few more years, save up some more money, then retire and spend my days watching TV and browsing the web.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    500,000 goes to the Bank for savings.....

60,000 goes to buying Computers

I guess I could buy a cheap car somewhere in there....

I guess I don't want that much of other stuff, i live at home, as a student and all,.... i mean........ I like eating out, so i guess i will do that, it will be good to stimulate the economy!

I guess i could buy iBooks for my friends...