New iPods

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just so we don't have to go back to the Apple store for the drool factor, I'll post the images here:

Nice!

Looks like every rumor was right except the color screen, and all of the images were right too.

30GB

AAC

Music service $0.99

Dock

USB 2

New Games

Wow! Oh, so nice!

And it looks like they fixed the crappy remote connector (hope someone got fired for that).

Also note that new firmware should work with our old iPods (even the five gigger). Hopefully that includes the new games along with the AAC support.

Does anyone know if the iPod can display the album cover

art downloaded from Rhapsody?

I notice the shorter battery life. I hope that's the result of a smaller battery for the new, lighter units, rather than a firmware issue. I'm loving the new longer life the latest update gave us.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Since the syncing/charging port is now on the bottom, does that mean someone will come up with a mini-keyboard to enable input to the calendar/contacts functions?

Translation: When can I ditch my Palm 505?
  • Reply 2 of 89
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
  • Reply 3 of 89
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    We only get AAC. None of the great extras that the new ones have.

low-fi
  • Reply 4 of 89
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    I want recording ability so I can stick a mic in it...would be great for recording lectures...don't understand why it does not have this...

Also want the ability to play movie files and connect it a up to a tv... so for instance I could save all my tv programs from eyetv or tivo on my ipod... bring it to the gym and watch it on the screen on my stepper while I work out...

Im still buying the 30 gigger on friday... my first ipod!

• Reply 5 of 89
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    Think I'd rather get the old 20gb model. At least it has a regular FW port - like we really need another connector type? It just means you have to always have the new cable on you if you want to charge it or use it as a portable drive :-(
  • Reply 6 of 89
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Since the syncing/charging port is now on the bottom, does that mean someone will come up with a mini-keyboard to enable input to the calendar/contacts functions?

Translation: When can I ditch my Palm 505?

Great idea, Frank777! I was hoping to ditch my Palm IIIxe as well. Of course, I was hoping I'd get a mobile phone in the new package as well.

In any case, I'll be buying a new iPod for myself as soon as finals are over. The 10GB model seems like a bad deal without the Dock ($39 separately), remote ($39 separately), belt clip ($39 separately) and with 5GB less space, so I'm looking at the 15GB and 30GB models.

tonton: Are you going to buy a new iPod now? I think I'll finally be able to join your iPod count thread now.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 89
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/beyondmusic.html

Someone please explain to me why I got a Zire?
  • Reply 8 of 89
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Think I'd rather get the old 20gb model. At least it has a regular FW port - like we really need another connector type? It just means you have to always have the new cable on you if you want to charge it or use it as a portable drive :-(

As if you can generally rely on random people to have spare firewire cables for you to use?
  • Reply 9 of 89
    95% of people I work with have at least one firewire cable lying around, even if they have to unplug one of their own drives.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    To the people that posted on the CH thread before it was locked:

Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

I actually have to agree re: the buttons moving on the iPod. It now requires a greater movement to access the buttons controlling playback...

Hold an iPod in your hand and pretend to press the new buttons with your thumb. you'll find that its not anymore difficult to use than the old ones, if not easier, as the buttons are bigger and probably easier to press.

Quote:

Love the redesign execpt for the buttons. It is going to be much harder to press the pause button at the gym without taking it out of the case.

Its only four buttons, you'll learn where the pause button is pretty fast. And thats what the remote is for anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

http://www.apple.com/ipod/beyondmusic.html

Someone please explain to me why I got a Zire?

Could someone please explain to me why these new features are not available for us existing iPod owners?

Just updated to 1.3 and nada. Bastards.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The new buttons don't look as classy. And it's more complex. But I can't deny that I am going to sell my 5 gig to get one.

Can it play AAC "plus", since that's supposed to be backward compatible?

and last but not least....

WHERE IS THE MIC?
  • Reply 13 of 89
    I'm gonna be working this summer so I'll be able to afford one! OMFG I can't wait! :
  • Reply 14 of 89
    does anyone know if the *just* release iTrip will still fit these?
  • Reply 15 of 89
    WTF's an iTrip?
  • Reply 16 of 89
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I ordered the minute the store came back up.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:

Think I'd rather get the old 20gb model.

I've been thinking this myself. In fact, I just called the Apple store in Soho and they are selling the remaining stock of iPods with $50 off since the announcement of the new models today...

Hmmmmmm
  • Reply 19 of 89
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I have a sneaky feeling holding menu will not turn the backlights on with the new iPods due to the touch sensor. Anyone care to confirm/speculate with me on this one.

low-fi
  • Reply 20 of 89
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

i agree. i don't understand why they changed the port to something that requires the dock. before, i could carry a balled-up firewire cable in my bag, and plug in whenever and wherever i wanted. now i have to carry a cable/dock?

seems a little less "elegant" to me, but then again, what do i know..? \

i think i may pick up one of the 20 GB versions instead. pretty solid, should be a bit cheaper now... is there anything with the new software that won't work with the older iPods? i didn't see anything that the new firmware wouldn't fix up.