New iPods

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

ah yes.. my brain was on temp leave.

BTW, the FIREWIRE + USB2 cable is the same price as the FIREWIRE cable (19$). Can Mac users use the USB2/FW cable as well?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9126G/A

I dont see why not... but at times Apple isnt very logical.

i'm quite sure a Mac user could use the combo cable... wouldn't be much point though since you'd just have a loose USB connector flopping about
  • Reply 62 of 89
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    is the iPod using the same white shell as the iBook??

g
  • Reply 63 of 89
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    this may have been said but i dont like hwo the button set up is...i wouldn't mind it if it was like this but they should have in order from left to right the top 4 buttons:

back/rewind

play, or stop one of them

play, or stop one fo them

front/fast forwrad

and the menu should be in the center of the scrool wheel (which i think shoudl light up too)
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Maybe it's just me, but the red backlighting on the buttons isn't aesthetically pleasing.

Would it have been so hard to put a white or blue led behind there?
  • Reply 65 of 89
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Maybe it's just me, but the red backlighting on the buttons isn't aesthetically pleasing.

But red lighting (unlike other colors) will not ruin your night vision. This could be important for astronomers, pilots, photographers in a dark room, hunters, or drivers, all operating in the dark of night sometimes.

I, for one, really like the new design. It's minimalist, with both visual and tactile feedback. That's great UI design! I just wish you could enter calendar and contact information into the iPod on the road (in addition to entry via iCal, Address Book, and iSync).

Escher
  • Reply 66 of 89
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I too would have liked the blue back lights, as in a soft blue - not one that lights up a 5 block radius, so my night vision wouldnt suffer. Ahh well, I will keep my eye on iPod mods sites.

** Sitenote **

Damn safari tabs, there has been one open all day with the nice green "Confirm My Order" button at the bottom of an iPod order.

Demon voice in my head: Click It!!!

Angel voice in my head: Noo you cant actually afford one!

Demon: Thats what your credit card is for... Click it!!!

Angel: Nooo...

Anyway, nuff of that - I must go and take my pills now
  • Reply 67 of 89
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Damn safari tabs, there has been one open all day with the nice green "Confirm My Order" button at the bottom of an iPod order.

Demon voice in my head: Click It!!!

Angel voice in my head: Noo you cant actually afford one!

Demon: Thats what your credit card is for... Click it!!!

Angel: Nooo...

I told you they were evil incarnate!
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

But red lighting (unlike other colors) will not ruin your night vision. This could be important for astronomers, pilots, photographers in a dark room, hunters, or drivers, all operating in the dark of night sometimes.

I, for one, really like the new design. It's minimalist, with both visual and tactile feedback. That's great UI design! I just wish you could enter calendar and contact information into the iPod on the road (in addition to entry via iCal, Address Book, and iSync).

Escher

If I ever see a pilot wearing an iPod when he should be focussing his attention elsewhere - like perhaps his radio - I'd be a little concerned. Likewise, a hunter should be listening for his prey, and I'd hope that the driver was using his iPod through his car stereo.

Can't wait to mod mine with blue or white leds. The red just doesn't suit it at all. Night-vision, bah. Form over function. If improving night-vision for people was really the aim, then they totally screwed it up by keeping that fantastic white backlighting on the LCD, huh?

Other than that, the redesign is great.

I would like to think that my incessant complaints - and returns to Apple - of my 20 gig, due to non-functioning play buttons, had something to do with making the hard drive the only mechanical thing left in the iPod. (Well, except for the hold switch.)

Happily, I was able to sell my old iPod within 5 minutes of the announcement yesterday.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

i'm quite sure a Mac user could use the combo cable... wouldn't be much point though since you'd just have a loose USB connector flopping about

since it has a usb cable, could somone use it w/ an earlier imac?

usb 2 is bw compatable w/ usb1, right?
  • Reply 70 of 89
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

since it has a usb cable, could somone use it w/ an earlier imac?

usb 2 is bw compatable w/ usb1, right?

it is compatible, but USB is WINDOWS ONLY and I do believe the double cable WILL NOT WORK WITH A MAC because the f/w cable is for power only and data for USB...

but it WILL work at USB1 speeds

also I am sure there will be a hack to get around these limitations, but as of right now that is how it works...
  • Reply 71 of 89
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I wonder if the Firewire charging will have the iPod's hard drive constantly spinning? I remember when I had my old 5 gig, I had to use the wall adapter because charging through the Firewire cable caused the hard disk to spin constantly, which apparently wasn't good for it.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    You can convert a PC iPod to a Mac iPod and vice versa correct? I am thinking about buying a iPod from a PC user and would want to switch it to Mac. Is that easy to do? For the price I can get I sure hope so.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Only the new ones are officially supported to convert between Mac and Windows. There might be some third party ways to get a Windows iPod to work on a Mac, but I don't know of them.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpp1cd

You can convert a PC iPod to a Mac iPod and vice versa correct? I am thinking about buying a iPod from a PC user and would want to switch it to Mac. Is that easy to do? For the price I can get I sure hope so.

I was under the impression that PC-->Mac worked great but there were problems going from Mac-->PC... But now that they come in the same box I'm sure there will be no problems...

P.S. if anyone has a link to go from Mac-->PC please let me know. (I may sell my iPod to a PC user )

Thanks!
  • Reply 75 of 89
    mbezzombezzo Posts: 77member
    The only difference between the mac and PC iPods previous to yesterday's new ones are the format of the HD and the software bundled. A PC iPod will plug in and work with a Mac pefectly - because the Mac can read FAT32 formatted HD's - which is exactly how the windows iPods are formatted. It's slightly more difficult with a Mac -> PC conversion, as the PC can't read HFS+ formatting. So in this case, you'd have to reformat the iPod's HD to FAT32. Haven't done this, but I think it'd work okay.

If you do get the PC iPod, I'd recommend reformatting the HD to HFS+ because it seems that OS X is a little slower working with FAT32 drives.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Perhaps you could just reformat your iPod's hard drive in FAT32 prior to sending it to the PC user. And you should probably test it out on a PC somewhere before sending it too.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Perhaps you could just reformat your iPod's hard drive in FAT32 prior to sending it to the PC user. And you should probably test it out on a PC somewhere before sending it too.

well its a friend of mine....so testing will be fine I just want to make sure it will be possible
  • Reply 78 of 89
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

I just wish you could enter calendar and contact information into the iPod on the road (in addition to entry via iCal, Address Book, and iSync).

Escher

I keep wondering when Apple will really unveil the trojan horse. This time they added notes and more games. When will it have wireless capability?

Have they had a grand plan for the iPod all along or do they keep discovering more they can do with it? If they know, I wish they would just lay it on us.

With the music store, I will now most likely have to get an iPod. I just can't help but think how cool it would be to order straight from the iPod though...
  • Reply 79 of 89
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

Does anyone know if the back is still ridiculously easily to scratch, smudge and look gross? I was hoping for an iPod with the new finish of the new PowerBooks. I can't tell from the pics. \

I'm actually really happy they stuck with the chrome. Its beautiful and really makes the iPod stand out from all other mp3 players. Even when it gets scratched up it still looks pretty cool.

Although it looks good on the Powerbooks, the textured aluminum finish on the back of the iPod would look alot like ass. IMO
  • Reply 80 of 89
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Anybody notice they replaced the 1200 mAh 3.7V li-poly battery with a 630 mAh 3.7V li-ion one?