Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 365
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Miami Craig

Wow you guys are awesome. You've found out how to exploit features in iTunes for illegal purposes. You clever fokes. I'm sure thats exactly what they designed it for.

Notice how I am not stealing the music, I don't get to keep it. And just tonight I found two bands that before I had heard about but didn't want to bother finding some sample somewhere, or buy a whole CD that may suck, but have discovered that I want to buy the album. I'm a music junkie, I need the liner notes, the case, the printed disc. But, I'm not into buying a whole CD that a person I almost know well said has one decent song on it. So thanks...
  • Reply 82 of 365
    Miami Craig; you clearly can't read.

This only streams other people's music to you; no piracy is involved.

I trust you won't post such condescending remarks without having a modicum of understanding of the subject in the future.

Thanks.
  • Reply 83 of 365
    This is AWSOME!!

It's like being able to run your own little radio station!!

And Miami Craig is a musician...so forgive his sensitivity. Craig...John is right...all you can do is stream. No copying involved.

This could be a very cool way for a band to get their music out....just get a Mac and a broadband connection with a decent upload. People can cruise by and listen, then maybe buy the or download a sample track. Course I guess your ISP might frown on you running a webcasting station...lol. Still, this is just fantastic. And so simple to do! Just type in the IP address and WABAAM. I cannot WAIT to show my friend (Windows devotee) this.
  • Reply 84 of 365
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doyal

Help me out folks. I want to share my music. I have sharing turned on in iTunes 4 without a password. My IP address/Network Address is 10.0.1.2 but I can't connect to it myself from my other mac. What am I not doing? My connect is via ethernet port on a Snow Airport. Help please.

You're behind an airport basestation. Check my post about how to do this earlier in the thread. You need to enable port mapping and open up the the port used for the streaming (3689). Once you do that, change your airport settings to configure manually and make sure you put your airport ip address (10.0.1.1) in your DNS settings. You won't be able access it locally that way, but others can (that's how I've done it and it seems to work fine).

This is a pic of the airport admin util:

Click the add button and put these values in the appropriate places:

This is a pic of the network prefs (note the 10.x.x.x settings. They should be the same for you):

• Reply 85 of 365
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You're behind an airport basestation. Check my post about how to do this earlier in the thread. You need to enable port mapping and open up the the port used for the streaming (3689). Once you do that, change your airport settings to configure manually and make sure you put your airport ip address (10.0.1.1) in your DNS settings. You won't be able access it locally that way, but others can (that's how I've done it and it seems to work fine).

This is a pic of the airport admin util:

Click the add button and put these values in the appropriate places:

This is a pic of the network prefs (note the 10.x.x.x settings. They should be the same for you):

Thanks torifile your a prince for going to all that trouble posting screenshots and all. Thankyou very much for walking me throught it.
  • Reply 86 of 365
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Thanks torifile your a prince for going to all that trouble posting screenshots and all. Thankyou very much for walking me throught it.

No problem. I would have done it sooner, but I was out til just now. (Taking the screenies is not a problem either. Just cmd+shift+4, then the spacebar to take the shot I want. Export them directly to my pictures folder on my idisk and that's it. Easy as pie. Apple rules.)
  • Reply 87 of 365

Can someone let me know if they can connect?
  • Reply 88 of 365
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Can someone let me know if they can connect?

Tried, couldn't connect.
  • Reply 89 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Tried, couldn't connect.

Ok this is my setup.

I'm using a 17" imac that is connected to the internet via the ethernet connection from my Snow Airport Base Station. The Base Station is in use for other Macs in the house. The 17" imac does not have an airport card and I get internet access via a wired connection from the Airport Base Station (which is connected to a cable modem) to my Mac. I am trying to allow other users to access my itunes library via the Connect To Shared music option in iTunes 4(Advanced>Connect To Shared Music). I've had no luck doing this and it is really annoying me! So far I have made these changes to my imac in order to get this to work.

1)Under Sharing in System Preferences I have created? a new port opening which is Port 3689.

2) Under Network in System Preferences I have configured manually with the following I.P Address 10.0.1.201 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and Router 10.0.1.1 . In the DNS Servers option I entered 10.0.1.1

3) In the Airport Admin Utility I added the following under Port mapping

Public Port 3689 Private IP Address 10.0.1.201 Private Port 3689

What am I doing wrong. I'm not even sure what I'm doing right! No one can connect to my library. It should be added that when I use http://www.ipmonster.com/ to find out what my I.P address is I get 66.68.48.233. I'm lost. Help me someone, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Itunes 4 sharing preferences have been checkmarked and no password is required.
  • Reply 90 of 365
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

What am I doing wrong.

For one thing, 10.0.0.1 or whatever is NOT a valid IP address, it's a class that is reserved for private networks only. I think many here who have airport have computers with the same IP address right now. It's your address IN THE AIRPORT NETWORK, not in the internet.

Now if you did what is pictured above (the airport settings), and give out your real IP address (the address of your Airport network in the internet) you'll have no problems. This being 66.68.48.233.
  • Reply 91 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

For one thing, 10.0.0.1 or whatever is NOT a valid IP address, it's a class that is reserved for private networks only. I think many here who have airport have computers with the same IP address right now. It's your address IN THE AIRPORT NETWORK, not in the internet.

Now if you did what is pictured above (the airport settings), and give out your real IP address (the address of your Airport network in the internet) you'll have no problems. This being 66.68.48.233.

Tried 66.68.48.233 (which is the shared ip address for our computers) nothing works
  • Reply 92 of 365
    Quote:

Tried 66.68.48.233 (which is the shared ip address for our computers) nothing works

What are you saying?? I can connect just fine. Let's see what you have: Aerosmith, Billie Holliday, Demis Roussos (!) to name very few. I'm listening to your comp now.
  • Reply 93 of 365
    Quote:

What are you saying?? I can connect just fine. Let's see what you have: Aerosmith, Billie Holliday, Demis Roussos (!) to name very few. I'm listening to your comp now.

Well bugger me! I guess something is hosed on the emac in the other room which i've been using to test this all bloody night.
  • Reply 94 of 365
    How is the connection?
  • Reply 95 of 365
    Alright maybe i should be more specific on whos breaking the law. Any of the asses out there like this guy ARE stealing. Not that i need to, but I'll explain how hes using Audiohijack. Audiohijack taps into the audio of pretty much any program on OS X at the system level and allows you to record any sound your computer makes into 16 bit 44.1 khz CD-standard-quality AIFFS (yes boys and girls, he's *STEALING* the music that is streaming off of your computers that your posting)

So again let me rephrase, if you are doing what this guy is doing and saving the streams, what you are doing is wrong and you are a theif. Theifs go to jail (or should)

Quote:

I'd really like to be able to drag 'n drop too though. Drag some of murbot's tunes right to my desktop. Now wouldn't thát be schweet! Audiohijack in the meantime. I wonder how long before some nifty hack for this turns up.

• Reply 96 of 365
    Actually, I haven't done that yet. Mostly due to the fact that I do not HAVE Audiohijack Pro, which I feel is prerequisite, but also due to the fact that it's too much of a hassle (you record only in real time, you record an mp3 into AIFF and have to convert back after -> lossy compression twice). Also, there are many easier ways to get by music.

Anyway, I am not an ass, although I'll grant you the assertion that I do have one (and an impressive one at that), if you'd wish to make it.

The point of all this: this new iTunes feature is NOT meant to steal music. On the contrary. You get read-only access to a lot of music you wouldn't have otherwise, which might result in a sale that otherwise wouldn't have been. Also, yes you can cap the stream, but that is not meant by the iTunes peepz. On the contrary. I think your point is not really relevant.

What are you so uptight for, Miami Craig? Your use of language ('this guys', 'ass') clearly reveals some badly contained hostility. I think, however, that you'll have to stone plenty of the people here if you're so uptight about "stealing" music. Those of you who've never dl'd a song, raise your hand... I don't see too many hands here.

I'm pretty sorry, interpersonally with you only, that this ticks you off so much, but I will admit I download plenty of music, and I have no shred of remorse while doing it. Really, I don't. And don't even try to lay this "stealing" rap on me. I know who was stealing from me when I bought those 100+ cds I did at about $20 each. I am Robin Hood, my friend. I take from the foully rich and give to the poor. I hand out cds to street kids in Bolivia. I put on a little Britney Spears to help my bowel movements when I'm on the toilet. I am not stealing, my friend, I'm merely reaping the interest of money given over several years.
  • Reply 97 of 365
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member

Someone mind testing that for me?
  • Reply 98 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Someone mind testing that for me?

Doesn't seem to work.
  • Reply 99 of 365
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Well bugger me! I guess something is hosed on the emac in the other room which i've been using to test this all bloody night.

you don't happen to have the Apple provided firewall enabled on that computer by any chance, would you?
  • Reply 100 of 365
    So far I haven't had any luck loading up anything from anyone here, but I have't tried too much yet.

Anyway, here is mine

Question though, for this (and Rendezvous sharing) to work, does iTunes have to be on the host computer?