Anyone want to share their iTunes Libraries?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 365
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Question though, for this (and Rendezvous sharing) to work, does iTunes have to be on the host computer?

Absolutely. This is iTunes communicating with iTunes.
  • Reply 102 of 365
    Quote:

Originally posted by Miami Craig

Wow you guys are awesome. You've found out how to exploit features in iTunes for illegal purposes. You clever fokes. I'm sure thats exactly what they designed it for.

Listening to streamed music is no more stealing than listening to the radio. Or using the built-in iTunes Music Store for that matter.
  • Reply 103 of 365
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I write music too. Quit crying, stealing music is going to teach the industry a lesson. Either they stop selling CDs for more than $5 (since CDs cost cents and are sold for $20), and come up with a new distribution model like Apple, or they die.

Yes since iCommune is open source I assume people are busily writing away code to let us drag n drop from this. Yea! I want In Da Pub! And Miami Craig are you suggesting I buy a CD just to get In Da Pub? This is like only the second time I've had to pull out the ol' ..

This thread is NOT about music piracy. Back to the topic.
  • Reply 104 of 365
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

So far I haven't had any luck loading up anything from anyone here, but I have't tried too much yet.

160.94.81.23 will be up every day during work hours. T1 so speed shouldn't be an issue.
  • Reply 105 of 365
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

So far I haven't had any luck loading up anything from anyone here, but I have't tried too much yet.

Anyway, here is mine: 204.78.8.88

Question though, for this (and Rendezvous sharing) to work, does iTunes have to be on the host computer?

Sorry, I habitually logged out, so next time I log in, I will probably get anew IP anyway from my ISP.
  • Reply 106 of 365
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

The point of all this: this new iTunes feature is NOT meant to steal music. On the contrary. You get read-only access to a lot of music you wouldn't have otherwise, which might result in a sale that otherwise wouldn't have been.

Exactly. Between last night and this morning I've listened to a ton of stuff I've either never heard of or heard of but never made a concerted effort to actually find them. So now I'm on my to pick up 2 new CDs (not available at AppleMusic...go figure) that I would have never bought before today. Nice. Aaaand I got to listen to the entire albums before deciding I want them for my own. Extra Nice.
  • Reply 107 of 365
    I've said already i was talking about illegally saving the streams from other computers using a program like audio hijack. Have plenty of fun streaming from one to another. Thats not what i was talking about.

"dont lay this stealing crap on me"

???

What would you prefer to call it?

When you 'aquire' something that you did not pay for and by LAW are required to do so, is that not theft? Boohoo, your upset about all the money it cost for those CD's. It cost alot of money to make the music, produce the CD's, distribute, promote, and get the finished product into your hands. And now Apple has an easy way to get the music legally. I hope the RIAA does find a way to prosecute individuals who steal music. Who gives a crap about your excuse for taking music for free, its still stealing. Bad karma as steve would put it.

</rant>
  • Reply 108 of 365
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

you don't happen to have the Apple provided firewall enabled on that computer by any chance, would you?

Yes on both macs
  • Reply 109 of 365
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Craig, after 2 full pages of posts there were a whopping 2 posts asking about ripping a stream. You then posted that "you guys" are using it for illegal purposes... of course you're going to get some backlash for directing those comments at everyone.
  • Reply 110 of 365
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doyal

Well bugger me! I guess something is hosed on the emac in the other room which i've been using to test this all bloody night.

So you only sort of read my posts about how to do this, eh? I said you wouldn't be able to access your music locally this way, but the outside world would. It's really complicated to explain why a computer on your local network can't use your IP address to connect and you could get around it if you had the patience to set up your own DNS server but that's complete overkill. You other computers oughta be able to access it by using your computer's rendezvous name (seen in the sharing tab).
  • Reply 111 of 365
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

So you only sort of read my posts about how to do this, eh? I said you wouldn't be able to access your music locally this way, but the outside world would. It's really complicated to explain why a computer on your local network can't use your IP address to connect and you could get around it if you had the patience to set up your own DNS server but that's complete overkill. You other computers oughta be able to access it by using your computer's rendezvous name (seen in the sharing tab).

actually computers on a link-local network (which airport is, i believe) don't even need the rendezvous name. the computers automatically see eachother's lists (assuming iTunes is on and sharing on both computers, and that no firewalls are blocking the connection).

the fact that either computer can't see the other's list means there is probably some kind of firewall. in which case you should open up tcp port 3689 on the firewall(s).
  • Reply 112 of 365
    My library is available at: turbopartment.homeunix.org

Enjoy.
  • Reply 113 of 365
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    silly me forgot to put up his ip:

most of my music can be classified as "great," though some people refer to it as "super fantastic."
  • Reply 114 of 365
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dangit torifile, i was going to see if you had any tori albums i haven't heard yet, then your iTunes library ain't up.

way to go.

but i'd say at least 95% of my songs are full albums. if i don't like the entire album, i usually don't rip it. even if i don't like it, i'll rip the whole thing anyway on occasion.

there are a few incompletes in there, a few of my Dylan CD's were scratched up, and it looks like it aborted the ripping part way through.
  • Reply 115 of 365
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

dangit torifile, i was going to see if you had any tori albums i haven't heard yet, then your iTunes library ain't up.

way to go.

but i'd say at least 95% of my songs are full albums. if i don't like the entire album, i usually don't rip it. even if i don't like it, i'll rip the whole thing anyway on occasion.

there are a few incompletes in there, a few of my Dylan CD's were scratched up, and it looks like it aborted the ripping part way through.

Sorry. My comp was asleep. It's up now.
  • Reply 116 of 365
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Miami Craig

I've said already i was talking about illegally saving the streams from other computers using a program like audio hijack. Have plenty of fun streaming from one to another. Thats not what i was talking about.

"dont lay this stealing crap on me"

???

What would you prefer to call it?

When you 'aquire' something that you did not pay for and by LAW are required to do so, is that not theft? Boohoo, your upset about all the money it cost for those CD's. It cost alot of money to make the music, produce the CD's, distribute, promote, and get the finished product into your hands. And now Apple has an easy way to get the music legally. I hope the RIAA does find a way to prosecute individuals who steal music. Who gives a crap about your excuse for taking music for free, its still stealing. Bad karma as steve would put it.

</rant>

Ok, I see ya now. Sorry if I seemed pretty rude, it's just that I was stoked that I finally got to hear a couple bands I wanted to check out before, but didn't want to risk wastig money, and it turns out they were awesome. But as far as the cost of music goes, the best CD I ever bought was for $3, I bought it off the singer, it was a home burnt CD, in a folded, photocopied sleve, 13 tracks, the bands name written on it in black sharpie marker. 100% DIY, the way I like my music. The last time I went to buy a mainstream CD, I left the store when I saw the price tag. Yeah, it's professionally done with nice art, but $21.99? Nah. But I guess that's how it works now, they didn't get my money, but I never got their music.

• Reply 117 of 365
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

silly me forgot to put up his ip:

most of my music can be classified as "great," though some people refer to it as "super fantastic."

You gave Walk this Way 5 stars.

Thanks for the Dylan though.

Hey! Check this out, from a /. post.

Quote:

The actual connection is made using DAAP (Digital Audio Access Protocol, allow inbound TCP on port 3689).

Quote:

But there's more! You can also connect to any server, even those outside your subnet, using the Advanced>>Connect to Shared Music command, and then typing daap:// followed by the server you want to reach. Some browsers (I tested this with Camino) will even support passing such a URL on to iTunes. This is freakin' amazing. Commercial free radio, on demand. You choose what to play from each station's playlist! Now all we need is some sort of service to search/find running iTunes "hosts." Or, wait for the lawyers to kill it... it's too good to be true.

So, using daap://andmyip I put a link to my iTunes shared music in my signature, and of course this will work anywhere you can put a link. Both Safari and Camino successfully passed daap:// to my iTunes and connected.

• Reply 118 of 365
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by seb

cool idea - till our IPs change anyways.

Use a service such as DynDns.org so people can hook up with a consistent url instead of your dynamic IP.
  • Reply 119 of 365
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This is extremely cool.

Would it be feasible to have some kind of central location where people could indicate that they're sharing? I guess like people have done with iCal. Or maybe more like that tracker-tracker website for hotline/carracho.
  • Reply 120 of 365
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

This is extremely cool.

Would it be feasible to have some kind of central location where people could indicate that they're sharing? I guess like people have done with iCal. Or maybe more like that tracker-tracker website for hotline/carracho.

A small app would be cool with a 'buddy list' type feature so you don't have to remember IPs.