Comments

• Reply 21 of 328
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    June 23-27, in San Francisco.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

\\
  • Reply 22 of 328
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    macwhispers thinks the 15 will have the 970 and will be able to be purchased in july.

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000064.php

personally i think they would not have waited this long for an AL 15 if there wasn't a significant change like the 970.
  • Reply 23 of 328
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    okay..when was wwdc originally slated? in may...wasnt it?

i dont think we will see 970s in the 15" but in the powermacs...

and the buzz goes on....isnt that great?
  • Reply 24 of 328
    if the next 15" update were to bring us the 970, what would this mean for pricing? would anyone anticipate a large price hike considering it would be the debut of the 970? plus, i would assume that while demand would be incredibly high, supply could be pretty elastic. and wouldn't the probability that a 970 powerbook would make any upcoming centrino-based notebook look like a clock radio be further justification to jack prices up?
  • Reply 25 of 328
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by brokenradio11

and wouldn't the probability that a 970 powerbook would make any upcoming centrino-based notebook look like a clock radio be further justification to jack prices up?

Great metaphor---has me wanting one already! (and I don't think prices will change that much; Apple's making a good profit as it is with the PowerBooks)
  • Reply 26 of 328
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

if the next 15" update were to bring us the 970, what would this mean for pricing? would anyone anticipate a large price hike considering it would be the debut of the 970? plus, i would assume that while demand would be incredibly high, supply could be pretty elastic. and wouldn't the probability that a 970 powerbook would make any upcoming centrino-based notebook look like a clock radio be further justification to jack prices up?

Lemme respond to that by saying, can you guess? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

hey, vB is cool

This is more apt for the PM's, which are grossly overpriced and underperforming, less true of the PB's which while not the fastest, come close enough to laptop x86 in all areas, and are faster in a few key areas (than mobile X86) that they win out on a balance of feautres and design. But only just. Especially the 15 and 17" books which are quite expensive already.

The PPC970 is not an excuse to price gouge, if Apple doesn't come in with a broadly appealing sticker, their 970 machines will sell well for all of two months and then the sales doldrums will begin anew. At the very least Apple has to hold prices for 970 based machines to the same prices as the G4 machines they replace.

I'm ot convinced there will initially be enough 970's to fit into ALL the PM's AND the 15 and 17" PB's. THer most certainly will NOT be a PPC970 based PB15 unless a 17" version is also available that day. That's 5 new models of 970 based machine, with at least one DP config, ALL on launch day. Translation, not happening. 970 PB's could folllow a little after, or a lot, depending on PM sales and IBM production.
  • Reply 27 of 328
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

if the next 15" update were to bring us the 970, what would this mean for pricing?

Just to be clear, I'm saying that you're going to get an aluminium PowerBook pretty soon, or a 970-based PB in about a year's time.

What that will mean for prices - I expect they'll be somewhere in the range they are right now - perhaps up to $500 more. But in the mean time the Ti15 will get updated, as will the 12" and 17", and all of those models wil probably be cheaper at that time.

What may happen - really guessing - 12/17" stay on G4 for a while, 17 gets big price drop at 15" 970 intro, 15" becomes most expensive PB.

But like I say, I think this is a year away. I'm only saying watch WWDC to see what's going on with the 970 - I think there's only the slimmest of chances that a 970 PB will com out this year.
  • Reply 28 of 328
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Just to be clear, I'm saying that you're going to get an aluminium PowerBook pretty soon, or a 970-based PB in about a year's time.

But like I say, I think this is a year away. I'm only saying watch WWDC to see what's going on with the 970 - I think there's only the slimmest of chances that a 970 PB will com out this year.

hia clive,

this was at MacWhisper as you probally already knew:

Quote:

In June, there are two development tracks we have been watching closely that will have reached a point where an actual product release is possible. More likely, these products will be released in July, following a June announcement. Both the much anticipated new mid-size PowerBook and the new PowerMac towers are on very closely aligned development tracks, since the PowerBook was diverted into what was a major redesign process in late January. We have a number of (admittedly untested) sources in the Apple OEM channel telling us that both products will use the IBM PPC 970 chip, with the PowerMac debuting with both single and dual processor configurations.

The new PowerBook is being built around an all-new 15.4-inch LCD from Chi Mei Optoelectronics. We do not know the pixel resolution, but do know that the panel will have specifications "equal to or better than" the recently introduced 20.1-inch Cinema Display panel, also built by Chi Mei.

so maybe we will see it all sooner than later or, as matsu said, powerbook introduction a couple of weeks after the powermac introduction, i don't expect apple to wait till november or even mwsf 2004...

...it keeps me hoping for 15" off bleeding edge technology (okay, the bleediest edge i can get my hands on) in the palms of my hands before 2004 starts

• Reply 29 of 328
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kittylitterdesign

Also - remember the 17inch still is NOT out in the UK yet - and I doubt they will introduce a killer 15inch until UK gets stocks otherwise it blows the lid on the "wow factor" of the 17inch arriving in the UK

UK is still 6 weeks away from the 17inch coming out that makes it 6 months late since it was annouced...RUBBISH!!

Hi kittylitterdesign

I'm in the UK and a mate of a mate of mine is a proud owner of a 17" PowerBook G4, I saw it with my own eyes last month, so I'm assuming that some are shipping in the UK by now?

-Ed
  • Reply 30 of 328
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Firstly, Im a little suprised that the 15" did not move to Al sooner, most likely due to little spec upgrade for the effort and cost of upgarding the existing 15" production. Also, Apple waiting for volume production for the new 15.4" panels.

But due to Apple's poor decision for not moving to Al, has caused lower than expected sales for the most popular PB model, when customers know an Al is coming, sooner or later.

Further information from MacBidoulle suggests we may indeed see a 970 PB 15.4 and very quickly see both the 12/17 updated to this processor. It could be that IBM is putting its yield rates where its money is, for Apple to satisfy its demand across both PB's and PMacs.

I was not expecting a 970 PB until about 6 months after the 12/17's been released. Remember, these 970 will require new motherboards as well. So it appears that Apple is comfortable in using completely new MB designs in a product lauched less than 7 months from WWDC.

Some are even suggesting we see the 970 15" by the end of May? But the fact remains, things are going to get very interesting in Apples' product lines between now and MWSF.

• Reply 31 of 328
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

macwhispers thinks the 15 will have the 970 and will be able to be purchased in july.

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000064.php

personally i think they would not have waited this long for an AL 15 if there wasn't a significant change like the 970.

That report mentions

The new PowerBook is being built around an all-new 15.4-inch LCD from Chi Mei Optoelectronics. We do not know the pixel resolution, but do know that the panel will have specifications "equal to or better than" the recently introduced 20.1-inch Cinema Display panel, also built by Chi Mei.

The spec of the 20.1 cinema display is

20" diagonal viewable image size

1680 x 1050 optimal resolution

16.7 million colors

17.3 x 21.34 x 6.93-10.43 inches

18.9 pounds

Two USB ports

Apple Display Connector

TO me this report is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike...

Jools

P.S. I really cant see a 15inch coming out for another 6 months. ..lets wait and see is I am right - after all I always am! joking of course!!

• Reply 32 of 328
    Power Books and PowerMacs may not be competing for the same 970 processors at all. For power/heat considerations, PBs may be restricted to 1 or 1.2 GHz chips while PMs may use 1.4 GHz chips and higher. Idle speculation.
  • Reply 33 of 328
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think the "specs equal to or better than the 20" Cinema Display" remark was in reference to the new 15" PowerBook's resolution only. Maybe in its viewing angle too. Stuff like that.

But not all the other stuff.

I DON'T think it's going to be 18.9 pounds or larger than the 17" PowerBook.

• Reply 34 of 328
    hahaha, i think it will definitely include two usb ports and ADC.

but i agree, assuming that macwhispers is right, which is obviously making a dangerous assumption, it only makes sense for htem to be speaking about optimum resolution and other viewing quality indicators.
  • Reply 35 of 328
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

• Reply 36 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It wouldn't be the 15" Powerbook then would it? It would be the 1500" Powerbook...
  • Reply 37 of 328
    compulovcompulov Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Locomotive

Power Books and PowerMacs may not be competing for the same 970 processors at all. For power/heat considerations, PBs may be restricted to 1 or 1.2 GHz chips while PMs may use 1.4 GHz chips and higher. Idle speculation.

I tend to agree on this... I'm not sure what IBM's yields are on the 970, but I would imagine that they have *some* processors coming out of the fab that might not quite pass all their testing to be rated at 1.4+, but might work just fine at 1-1.2Ghz. It would be a shame (not to mention a costly waste) to just toss those cores, and the PB would be a good place for them. Now, whether that'll actually happen or not, is pure speculation

-Leigh
  • Reply 38 of 328
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i think they have to wait til' panther comes out!

this is still the only powerbook that boots into os9!

that's the holdup! how quickly we forget!
  • Reply 39 of 328
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Maybe the new 15-inch PowerBook will come Tuesday, May 6th? The last revision was Wednesday, November 6, 2002, and this coming Tuesday would make the current 15-inch PowerBook exactly six months old.
  • Reply 40 of 328
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The last revision was Wednesday, November 6, 2002, and this coming Tuesday would make the current 15-inch PowerBook exactly six months old.

Boy, how times flies! Bring on the 970 PowerBooks already!

Escher