When will we see a 15" Albook?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 328
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Remember Powerpage announced shortly after the new iBooks were released that new PowerBooks would come out on May 19th. That is tomorrow. And there is no sign that they'll be right. Another rumor site down the crapper.
  • Reply 122 of 328
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Remember Powerpage announced shortly after the new iBooks were released that new PowerBooks would come out on May 19th. That is tomorrow. And there is no sign that they'll be right. Another rumor site down the crapper.

wtf???!!!!

signs? \

i dont need signs...i mean....if i had a can of coke next to me now....THAT would be a sign...ok?!
  • Reply 123 of 328
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Well I have the money to buy the top end 15" PowerBook when it comes out. Now if it would only come out soon! What would be a good price to sell my iMac 800 for? I was thinking USD999 or around there... I'll probably sell it cause I don't need two comps.
  • Reply 124 of 328
    Well no one else has posted on this thread all day, so I thought I would see if I could get it started again.

What would you guys be happy with as the next PowerBook update, assuming the 970 is not ready for the PowerBooks yet?

As many of you know I am looking to buy one when they update. I would be quite content with the following:

15.4" good resolution

1.2Ghz G4

Radeon 9600 mobility GPU

167mhz bus (maybe 200mhz? if 7457 is ready)

512MB DDR333

1MB L3 cache

light up keyboard

airport extreme

firewire 800

$2800

I would buy a Powerbook with these specs tomorrow if it came out.

Also I have been wondering if the G4 may not be a better CPU for the PowerBooks than the 970. Lets compare a 1.4ghz 970 to a 1.4ghz 7457 in terms of Powerbook usefulness. The 970 will be faster, but the 7457 will use less power and produce less heat. I guess what I'm asking is would one really want a 970 laptop that one could not watch a whole movie with a single charge on? I for one am not sure if the extra power is worth the sacrifice running time. The 5 hour battery life of current PowerBooks is already highly overstated. However, I was able to watch a whole movie on my old 400mhz g4 PowerBook, and I loved being able to so this. I found that I could go a whole day without plugging it in, as long I put it to sleep whenever I wasn't using it.
  • Reply 125 of 328
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I too am ready to pop for a 15 inch PB. I will get it regardless of the CPU, but I would like the 970.

To your list I would add Al skin, options for combo-drive and superdrive, at least one PC-card slot, a couple of USB 1.0 ports, headphone connector (maybe even audio-in though I am happy using iMic for that).

DVD playback is more related to the graphics chip than the CPU. I think the graphics chip does the heavy lifting of decoding the stream and putting video on the display.

I recall reading that the 970 clocked at 1.2GHz used about 12 watts, comparable to the draw of a G4. There is also the possibility that IBM would select processors that used less power and market them to Apple as low power versions useful for laptops. They already select for speed, why not power as well?

Another unknown for the 970 is how it can manage power. The G3 Sahara has the ability to shut down unused systems to conserve power. Can the 970 do the same? Can it go to sleep briefly when there is no work to do?

Earlier I thought I would get a small PB for travelling and rely on my tower and cinema display when at home. However, after the 12 inch PB came out I was disappointed that it was not lighter. I was hoping for something under three pounds. Checking xbench I discovered that the 1Ghz PB was already much faster than my 867MHz tower. The new one will be faster and it will have the connector to drive my cinema display plus a bunch of other features and it will weight in under six pounds so I changed my mind and decided in favor of the 15 inch PB. Now I have the decision and the cash I just need Apple to ship it.
  • Reply 126 of 328
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    The IBM 970 1.2GHz chip draws 19W.
  • Reply 127 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

The IBM 970 1.2GHz chip draws 19W.

Thanks for the quick clarification. That is a lot.
  • Reply 128 of 328
    g3joelg3joel Posts: 29member
    I noticed an interesting thing today, was reading the local paper and out popped an Apple pamphlet detailing their products and software. It included every product they sold except for... yep you guessed it, the 15" PowerBook.

This means one of two things:

1) Apple are not planning to update the 15" PowerBook at all and may not continue to sell it

2) The 15" PowerBook is going to be updated really, really soon

The problem is, I really can't see either of these things happening... but why would Apple not bother to include it in the pamphlet?
  • Reply 129 of 328
    Anybody know what the MPC7457 power usage is at 1.2GHz, 1.4GHz and up?
  • Reply 130 of 328
    and when the hell it is supposed to be out?
  • Reply 131 of 328
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

and when the hell it is supposed to be out?

six months ago
  • Reply 132 of 328
    FWIW: MacWarehouse is advertising the TiBook with a "clearance" price.
  • Reply 133 of 328
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Anybody know what the MPC7457 power usage is at 1.2GHz, 1.4GHz and up?

I don't know for 1.2, 1.4 and up, but for 1GHz, and it uses 12.6W typically. The low-power version of the 7457 uses 7.5W typically on that frequency.

It's supposed to be out Q4 2003, if memory serves me correctly. Way behind original schedule of course
  • Reply 134 of 328
    I've gotten to the point that I don't care which chip is has as long as it would go ahead and come out!!!!
  • Reply 135 of 328
    PowerPage has a report that the new 15 inch PBs are ready to ship, they are just waiting for the current Ti Book stocks to sell out. If this is correct then that would seem to indicate that these are G4 based.

PowerPage 15 Inch Al PB Report
  • Reply 136 of 328
    Well.. more grist for the rumor mill:

If O'Grady is to be believed, there are new 15" Albooks boxed and ready to ship. See: http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/Web...y?newsID=11023
  • Reply 137 of 328
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    maybe they drop the price on ibooks and powerbooks with the "introduction" of a 1ghz g4 in a 15"powerbook?

100 bucks off across the line?
  • Reply 138 of 328
    You think they will add the lightup keyboard to the 15" and the ATI9600 GPU? If the new models had these features I would buy it right away.
  • Reply 139 of 328
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    O'Grady cannot be right. If you do a custom order on a 15-inch PowerBook, you get a ship time of 1-3 days. Titaniums must still be coming off the assembly line.
  • Reply 140 of 328
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member