Macbidouille: 970's on sale at the end of May

Comments

• Reply 21 of 300
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    mini poll:

a) announcement of all machines in late may, availialbity of some models rolled out over june/july

b) massive build up of machines so june WWDC, steve can say "Shipping Today!"
  • Reply 22 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    It (rumours/etc) just all make too much sense for it to be real, but all the pieces fit together.
  • Reply 23 of 300
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

It (rumours/etc) just all make too much sense for it to be real, but all the pieces fit together.

Please be quiet. I want to pretend it's all impossible.

• Reply 24 of 300
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    Apple sold Dual Proc. Powermacs w/ OS 9, when only OS X and special software.

Possible...
  • Reply 25 of 300
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

mini poll:

a) announcement of all machines in late may, availialbity of some models rolled out over june/july

b) massive build up of machines so june WWDC, steve can say "Shipping Today!"

Realistically I choose B. I think they'll need quite a bit of buildup on the lowend box when they announce these beasties. Pent up demand would be an understatement.

The question was asked about the lead time for the iPod event. The news of the event broke on April 21, 7 days before the actual event took place.
  • Reply 26 of 300
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MJE

Apple sold Dual Proc. Powermacs w/ OS 9, when only OS X and special software.

Right. And remember a 970 running Jaguar is nowhere near as crippled as a dual G4 running OS 9. The only limitation is that it wouldn't be able to run 64-bit apps, of which there are currently zero. It's actually better to release the 970s before Panther, because it gives developers time to get their 64-bit versions ready.
  • Reply 27 of 300
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    If the lowend 970 PMs are rolling out as soon as the end of may and the next model sometime in June, doesn't it seem that they'll do what they did with this past PM update and have the first two models available while the second one not for 3-5 weeks? I wouldn't mind that at all as the lowend and middle model are what most people are able to afford.
  • Reply 28 of 300
    question:

why delay WWDC to june if machines are to be released in May?

? the delay honestly was for panther

? machines Won't be announced until June

? Screw it. Let's Ship them!
  • Reply 29 of 300
    fatmac84fatmac84 Posts: 67member
    They could ship the new 970's with the PR release of Panther at the WWDC. So early adopters would get a 64 bit system with at least a PR of the 64 bit OS. And then the free upgrade to the official release version of the 64 bit OS X . whatever they call it.
  • Reply 30 of 300
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nitzer

Are you suggesting they release a 1.4ghz 970 for $3000, then the next month release a dual 1.6 ghz 970 for $3000 and drop the price of the single 1.4ghz to $2300, and then the month after that release the dual 1.8ghz 970 for $3000 and drop the 1.6 dual to $2300 and 1.4 to $1800.

I know computers lose their value quickly, but $1200 in two months time after launch. I don't think so.

I say:

1.4 single - $1800 - shipping in late may

1.6 dual - $2300 - mid to late june

1.8 dual - $3000 - late june to early july

All prices and specs are purely theoretical (and hopefully will be better).

edit: All announced on the same day -- ship as soon as possible with the above as a projected schedule -- more or less the normal way they release products

ps Dig the poster!

If what I have read is correct the 970 should be close to the G4's price, therefore the $1800 price tag is quite a jump for the bottom end model. the "Sweet Spot" for a PowerMac would be $1299 in my opinion, though I would expect $1499, $1599, or at worst $1699.
  • Reply 31 of 300
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The issue of the 64-bit OS doesn't make sense to me. It was my understanding that the OS would NEED TO be updated for the 970. After that, we're just talking about app support - FCP would probably get an upgrade to 64-bitness, but the vast majority of Apple's apps wouldn't need it at all. Do we really need a 64-bit Finder?

BTW, Macbedoobie is a whore. I don't think they have any sources. The way to get hits is to tell us what we want to hear. They are "The Register" of 2003.
  • Reply 32 of 300
    Quote:

question:

When they delayed WWDC, they didn't know precisely when the machines would be ready. Turns out the 970 macs (low end at least) are ready almost a month early. So yeah, screw it, ship 'em! 8)
  • Reply 33 of 300
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

question:

1 is certainly possible. 2 is my guess. The two aren't mutually exclusive: i.e., Apple had planned to release the 970 in September with Panther, but when it was available in quantity sooner they negotiated a release date between when enough machines would be available for a launch, and when Panther could be sufficiently spiffed up for a public preview.

I have to wonder what else they're rolling into Panther, though. It seems to me that 64 bit support isn't all that and all that - they could roll it into Server. If they have a preview ready, we must be about to take a big step forward, and/or the machines have some new capability that Panther will especially take advantage of.
  • Reply 34 of 300
    Quote:

BTW, Macbedoobie is a whore. I don't think they have any sources. The way to get hits is to tell us what we want to hear. They are "The Register" of 2003.

they nailed a few things before.including photos of mirror macs?

i'd bet they have VERY good euro apple division sources. But not as good sources outside of europe?
  • Reply 35 of 300
    Quote:

I have to wonder what else they're rolling into Panther, though. It seems to me that 64 bit support isn't all that and all that - they could roll it into Server. If they have a preview ready, we must be about to take a big step forward, and/or the machines have some new capability that Panther will especially take advantage of.

You like if the new 970s have some killer vector processor or super altivec, we won't see it being used by those machines until panther? makes sense...
  • Reply 36 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The issue of the 64-bit OS doesn't make sense to me. It was my understanding that the OS would NEED TO be updated for the 970. After that, we're just talking about app support - FCP would probably get an upgrade to 64-bitness, but the vast majority of Apple's apps wouldn't need it at all. Do we really need a 64-bit Finder?

A minor update to 10.2 would get it to run on the 970. 10.3 brings 64 bit support. No most apps don't need 64 bitness, but photoshop, fcp, database systems, etc. will make use of it. Whole new applications may be possible with a 64 bit desktop.

FYI, Macbedoobie was the source of the pix of the MDD PowerMacs last year. In my experience everyone is a whore. I know I am.
  • Reply 37 of 300
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Pardon my thoughts, but if you planned on releasing the 970s at WWDC or MWNY, wouldn't the machines need to be ready by then? Just because the first model will be done so they can move onto the 2nd model doesn't mean they are going to release them 1 by 1. It would be a massive unvieling, a huge campaign. You can't do that in phases, releasing one model a time.

*cough cough* Flat Panel iMac *cough*
  • Reply 38 of 300
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    One of the sites (I can't remember which one) had a note about 10.2.6 coming soon. That could include 970 support if the machines are really going to be ready this early. I'm skeptical, but Apple is under a lot of pressure to improve their PowerMac sales and if they really can get them out the door a full 3-4 months ahead of Panther then I suppose they'd probably go for it. The idea of starting with single processor 1.4 GHz machines and a 32-bit OS does give them the appearance of a smoother transition from their existing dual G4 machines. That might get around some of the "old stock" issues that they are likely going to have.

Only time will tell and I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 39 of 300
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    There will be a 10.2.6 update to Jaguar. The few changes needed to run on the IBM 970 could be included? Just a thought.

Edit: Sorry Programmer, your post came it while I was typing mine.
  • Reply 40 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    It seems to me that 1) if the 970 was coming out wouldn't they be clearing out the G4 PowerMacs? and 2) what's the chance they update the server machines first like they did when they first introduced DDR in the MB - That took place as a May release if I recall correctly.