Macbidouille: 970's on sale at the end of May

Comments

• Reply 61 of 300
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Steve did say this was the year of the portable. I believe that the 970 will first be introduced in the 15" PowerBook, then later the 970 PowerMacs will come out. I would not be surprised to see the talked about 970 chip coming out in the PowerBook late may and then at WWDC the Towers will be upgraded along with the 17" iMac. Remember the 970 is not like the G4, apple should not have much trouble putting it in a PowerBook. Especially because apple has already worked out the heat problems. Heck they can put 1Ghz G4s in one inch cases now! I'm really hoping for the new 970 PowerBooks and it no longer seems quite so unlikely.

But as Escher said in his really cool quote, "I'm crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, but not yet holding my breath."
  • Reply 62 of 300
    God I hope they don`t release powerbook 970 before the towers - Do they really wanna see how low they can get the tower sales? I doubt it.
  • Reply 63 of 300
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    a single processor board running a 1.4 970 from Hon Hai or whatever sounds more like a laptop board than a desktop...though it could be the return of the cube also....

i expect towers to be dual (1.6, 1.8, 2.0)....but a cube design return could see a single 1.4, but then so could a 15.4 laptop

dang it has been a long week....i can't even understand my posts

g
  • Reply 64 of 300
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Steve did say this was the year of the portable. I believe that the 970 will first be introduced in the 15" PowerBook, then later the 970 PowerMacs will come out. I would not be surprised to see the talked about 970 chip coming out in the PowerBook late may and then at WWDC the Towers will be upgraded along with the 17" iMac. Remember the 970 is not like the G4, apple should not have much trouble putting it in a PowerBook. Especially because apple has already worked out the heat problems. Heck they can put 1Ghz G4s in one inch cases now! I'm really hoping for the new 970 PowerBooks and it no longer seems quite so unlikely.

But as Escher said in his really cool quote, "I'm crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, but not yet holding my breath."

I don't know if that would make sense. The fact the rumours point to a company that produces laptops for Apple does sort of point that way, but there would be major issues.

First, a laptop that has a better processor than the desktops would really kill PM sales. Second, a 970 in the 15" would create positioning problems with the 17". Which would be more expensive, which would be considered the high end model? The 15" with the 970 or the 17" with a G4? If the 15" goes to the 970, I would guess the 17" would have to go 970 at the same time. It was essentially just released, doesn't it seem sort of soon for a completely new rev?
  • Reply 65 of 300
    Well lets put it this way, the PowerBook 15.2" is currently behind the 12" and 17" models. I don't see why apple could not now make the 15.4" model better than the 12" and 17" models. The 15" PowerBook is by far the most popular of the 3 models, yet apple has let them lag behind the other models for quite a few months now. If apple updated the 12" to a 1Ghz G4, updated the 15" to a 1.4Ghz 970, and went ahead and released a 970 17" a month later I don't see why it would be such a big deal. The Powerbooks are going to have to stay up with the Powermacs, otherwise apple will lose sales to the would be PowerBook buyers like myself. Apple no longer looks to upgrade everything at once, but apple updates products when they need to. There is no reason not to update the 15" model to the 970 if the low power 970 chip is ready before the desktop versions. Apple will not lose anything on it! They will only sell computers that are not being sold. If they update the 12" it will continue to sell. The 17" is not a huge seller anyway but rather was made to impress the PC world.

This is the way I'm hoping it will happen:

May- 12" powerbook goes to 1Ghz, 15.4" Powerbook at 1.4ghz 970 revealed, 17" powerbook has a few hundred dollar price cut.

June- 970 Powermacs introduced at 1.4,1.8, and 2.0ghz, imac 17" bumps to 1.4Ghz 970, Powerbook 17" gets 1.4ghz 970.

Wouldn't this be just great! Can Apple actually do something like this? They need to, if they every want to get the rest of the market, they are going to have to introduce some heavy hitting hardware.
  • Reply 66 of 300
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Let's remember that Panther has a lot more to it then just the possibility of being 64 bit. The additional features need more development time. However a patched 10.2.x will run just fine on the 970's with no loss of performance, and a significant gain due to the 970.

My speculation is that end of May will find a few 970's placed in the hands of a few select and trusted developers. WWDC will bring an announcement (give or take a little).

I expect 1.2 ghz powerbooks first in the 15" and followed shortly by a revamped 17". 12 inch speedbumped to the 1.0ghz G4 with a revamp in the fall. Maybe (long shot) a dual 17 inch.

At the same time a full line of PowerMacs will be announced. 1.4 ghz singles will be the low end and available immediatly. within a few weeks (2-4) dual 1.4 and dual 1.8 will be made available. For some reason I just don't see a dual 1.6. Nothing above dual 1.8 before mid fall (October-November) then maybe a speed bump to 2.0 plus. 970's will top out at around 2.5 duals eventually next year early, then later next year, the 980's.

Pricing will remain about the same as it is now.

Just my wild guess and wishful thinking.
  • Reply 67 of 300
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The interesting thing to me is that Apple currently assembled PowerMacs in their own plants, at least for the US market. Hon Hai was making 'Books the last time I saw their name associated with Apple. Maybe this new form requires the expertise of a notebook maker?

I also noticed this too, and I find it strange that they would be involved.
  • Reply 68 of 300
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Macbidouille just posted the following correction: (google translation)

Quote:

A mistake in interpretation slipped into the news of yesterday.

The PPC 970 will be shown with the developers with the WWDC and the public the following semane. It will be on sale immediately

But unquestionable APPLE of its planetary success will start to make large stocks and to distribute them on the planêtre as of the end May.

• Reply 69 of 300
    thai moofthai moof Posts: 76member
    Sorry for the OT post:

ALGOL did the Conn. Governer really say that?
  • Reply 70 of 300
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Releasing the 970 first in a PowerBook is not going to "kill" Power Macintosh sales by any means at all. It is already established pretty much who needs to use PowerBooks or Power Macs or even both. So don't use those tactics; if anything releasing the 970 in the PowerBook will stir up sales of old PowerMacs (on the cheap) before the new ones hit.

And with that translation, what the heck is a "semane?"
  • Reply 71 of 300
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Here, a little bit cleaned up:

A mistake in interpretation slipped into yesterday's news:

The PPC 970 will be shown with the developers with the WWDC and the public the following week. It will be on sale immediately. But Apple, unquestionably (sure) of its planetary success, will start to make large stocks and to distribute them on planet at the end May.
  • Reply 72 of 300
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Macbidouille just posted the following correction: (google translation)

With Babelfish and my own knowledge of french , I tried to make this, hopefully somewhat more understandable, translation:

Quote:

[Rumour] PPC 970 small correction

A mistake in interpretation slipped into the news of yesterday. The PPC 970 will be shown to the developers at WWDC and to the public the following week. It will be on sale immediately. But Apple, unquestionable because of its expected planetary success, will start to make large stocks and to distribute them as of the end of May.

We are terribly sorry for this mistranslation.

• Reply 73 of 300
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

a single processor board running a 1.4 970 from Hon Hai or whatever sounds more like a laptop board than a desktop...

i expect towers to be dual (1.6, 1.8, 2.0)....but a cube design return could see a single 1.4, but then so could a 15.4 laptop

Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

May- 12" powerbook goes to 1Ghz, 15.4" Powerbook at 1.4ghz 970 revealed, 17" powerbook has a few hundred dollar price cut.

June- 970 Powermacs introduced at 1.4,1.8, and 2.0ghz, imac 17" bumps to 1.4Ghz 970, Powerbook 17" gets 1.4ghz 970.

I honestly think that people who are expecting 1.4Ghz processors in either PowerBook or the bottom-end SP PowerMac are getting their hopes up too high. There's also no way Apple will go beyond 2Ghz this year, even with IBM coming on board. Remember, we've only been in the Ghz range for a year.

I get carried away by my hopes and dreams too sometimes. But we have to be pragmatic and keep reality in mind. Remember that the IBM PPC 970 will bring vast performance improvements even if there is little or no rise in clock speed. So I think we would see impressive performance even if high-end PowerBooks and the low-end PowerMac were to move to a more realistic 1.2Ghz low-power PPC 970 by late summer or early fall.

Quote:

Wouldn't this be just great! Can Apple actually do something like this?

Algol: Of course it would be great. But I really don't think Apple will move to a 1.4 PPC 970 in PowerBooks or the low-end PowerMac before very late this year or MWSF in January, at the earliest. But who knows? (I certainly don't.) Maybe I'm just having a bad, overly pessimistic day because it's cloudy and cold out today. BTW, I'm honored that you liked my quote.

Escher
  • Reply 74 of 300
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 75 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Releasing the 970 first in a PowerBook is not going to "kill" Power Macintosh sales by any means at all. It is already established pretty much who needs to use PowerBooks or Power Macs or even both. So don't use those tactics; if anything releasing the 970 in the PowerBook will stir up sales of old PowerMacs (on the cheap) before the new ones hit.

And with that translation, what the heck is a "semane?"

I have PB G4 500 that I want to upgrade. The 12" PB is too small for my liking and the 17" is too big to carry around and use in trailers, car, plane motels, etc. Also need to upgrade my DP GHz 2002 DA model. I'll take one of each.
  • Reply 76 of 300
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Suppose for the sake of argument that >1.6GHz 970s were available in plentiful supply, but that some existing cases (e.g. TiPB, iMac) could only cope with lower-clocked CPUs for heat reasons. If this were the case (no pun intended), then I'd like to see Apple design a dynamic underclocking system into the motherboard.

That is, the mobo should be able to set its clockspeed at an optimal level based on the ambient temperature. So the same mobo could perhaps be used in towers, iMacs and PBs, assuming that the form was not an issue. In a PB in temperate weather you might get say 1.2GHz; the same mobo in an iMac in cold weather might be able to run right up to 1.6GHz or more. And a tower would of course be able to run at top speed, hopefully 1.8GHz or more (in all normal conditions).

The really cool thing (again, no pun intended) is that it would then be a simple matter to allow the user to specify whether hotter/faster/louder operation was preferred, or cooler/slower/quieter was instead. Ideally, you'd have a slider bar for this control, allowing you to set any value within the permissible range.

I've written about this before, and other respondents have pointed out that the energy saver control panel lets you select a higher or lower performance level. But I have in mind a far more flexible system that would potentially allow Apple to use the one mobo in a wide range of forms, with the mobo itself ensuring that it delivered optimal performance within the constraints of that form factor.
  • Reply 77 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thai Moof

Sorry for the OT post:

ALGOL did the Conn. Governor really say that?

Yes, he did say that, but I obviously live in the wrong state. We have to pay for hand jobs here...

Apple will have to ship computers with the chips that IBM makes avaiable. If the slowest 970 chip is a 1.4ghz, then apple will be forced to use it in the lowend machines. As far as I know the PowerBook motherboards will have to be redone to add DDR,9600 ati card, airport extreme, etc. Well then I just have to ask, why not go ahead and stick the 970 in them if the chip is ready!!!!! Makes for a faster transition of the Apple line up. You see if apple leaves the PowerBooks G4s and upgrades the PowerMacs the same overall problem will develop. I say that apple will move all their computers to the 970 buy the end of the year, maybe except for the ibook and emac. Plus steve said this would be the year of the portable, and this year would not be complete without a 970 PowerBook!
  • Reply 78 of 300
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

A mistake in interpretation slipped into the news of yesterday. The PPC 970 will be shown to the developers at WWDC and to the public the following week. It will be on sale immediately. But Apple, unquestionable because of its expected planetary success, will start to make large stocks and to distribute them as of the end of May.

We are terribly sorry for this mistranslation

c) massive build up of machines so june WWDC, steve can say "Shipping Next Week!

so "c)" was the correct answer.

Now if i can only fix my quicktime streaming bug/hangs before WWDC
  • Reply 79 of 300
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nonsuch

*cough cough* Flat Panel iMac *cough*

That's not a good example, though, because in that case there WAS a huge unveiling of all three models and then Apple shipped them one by one (starting, of course, with the high-end, highest-profit model). What MacBidouille is saying is that the low-end model will be introduced and on sale BEFORE WWDC, where one assumes Apple will intro the machines and lay out the whole 64-bit strategy. I don't buy that.
  • Reply 80 of 300
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    i don't think that's what they are saying now. after the correction it seems apple will not show untll WWDC.

its confusing...