Macbidouille: 970's on sale at the end of May

Comments

• Reply 81 of 300
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

The end of May seems unlikely for a new PowerMac. . .

What I now think will happen is that both the 970 PowerMacs and 64-bit Panther will be introduced at WWDC by Steve Jobs. The PowerMac will be available, at least some models with the others to follow soon afterward. Panther will be demonstrated on these machines, but will ship sometime later.

This introduction of the 64-bit Macintosh is a big deal. It's going to happen at a big newsworthy event, highlighting both the processor and OS. . .

• Reply 82 of 300
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There's another hint (but nothing more than that) indicating that we might see a 970 PowerBook: The PowerBook has become the developer machine of choice. You can't go to a Mac or Linux development conference without seeing them everywhere.

There would be no better way to get developers to beta test Panther en masse than to dangle a new, superfast, 64-bit notebook in front of their faces.

I don't think this is an either/or proposition with respect to desktops. I get the feeling that 970s are not in short supply, and Apple uses different assembly lines to make 'Books and PowerMacs so there's no bottleneck there. If we see one, we'll see the other. I'm pretty confident of that.
  • Reply 83 of 300
    OK, let me take a stab at a third translation:

[Rumour] PPC 970 small correction

A mistake in interpretation slipped into yesterday's news. The PPC 970 will be announced to the developers at WWDC and to the public the following week. It will be on sale immediately thereafter. But without a doubt, due to expected global demand, Apple intends to build up inventory levels and will begin distribution to channels as of the end of May.

We are terribly sorry for this mistranslation
  • Reply 84 of 300
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    sweet, that translation finally makes sense!
  • Reply 85 of 300
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Hm.....seems like we are going to see either

1.4GHz SINGLE

1.6GHz SINGLE

1.8GHz DUAL

--or--

1.4GHz SINGLE

1.6GHz DUAL

1.8GHz DUAL

Curious....how can a dual 1.8 compete with the dual Xeon
  • Reply 86 of 300
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

OK, let me take a stab at a third translation:

[Rumour] PPC 970 small correction

A mistake in interpretation slipped into yesterday's news. The PPC 970 will be announced to the developers at WWDC and to the public the following week. It will be on sale immediately thereafter. But without a doubt, due to expected global demand, Apple intends to build up inventory levels and will begin distribution to channels as of the end of May.

We are terribly sorry for this mistranslation

That I find possible, but as with anything unannounced with Apple I am not getting my hopes up until I hear it straight from SJ's mouth.

Although, it sounds promising. I am still curious if the nForce 3 is going to debut in a Dual processior highend version. That's what I need.
  • Reply 87 of 300
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I am still curious if the nForce 3 is going to debut in a Dual processior highend version. That's what I need.

If that plays DOOM 3 better than any other Mac, that's what I need too.
  • Reply 88 of 300
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    A little speculation, based upon everything I have pieced together from all the rumor threads and speculation.

Current Power Macs

1.0 single, 1.2 dual, 1.42 dual. price points from $1499 to $2699 (US$).

New 970 Power Macs

1.4 single, 1.4 or 1.6 dual, 1.8 dual. Price points to remain about the same.

(Probable with some leaway for exact speeds. Nothing below 1.4, nothing above 2.0)

New 15" PowerBook

Tough call here. 1.2 to 1.4 970 is possible. My best guess is a 1.2ghz 970 single 15" followed shortly by an updated 970 17". (maybe a dual 17")

Price Points? Who knows!

(Very speculative but possible. Something is definitely cooking with the 15 inch Powerbook, and I think it is more then just a new graphics chip.)

eMacs - just faster G4's and a new port of some kind.

iMacs - possibility of a major redesign with a bump to 1.2ghz 970, but not before July or August.

iBooks? I haven't a clue, even though I own one.

The 970 powermacs will be first mentioned at WWDC. An official public introduction will be made at an Apple event the following week. In the meantime, finished units will have been shipping since May to warehouses, and stockpiled to allow for immediate shipment of some but not all models. 1.4ghz 970 singles will be immediatly available followed by dual processor models either at same time or withing a couple of weeks.

All new PowerMacs will ship in July, running a special version of 10.2.x for the 970. Free upgrades to 10.3 will be provided for those machines in when Panther is released.

Powerbooks will be announced at same time. If 15" powerbooks are announced earlier, then they will be G4's not 970's.

Really don't see anything above a dual 1.8 ghz to start for the PowerMacs, with speedbumps up to 2.5 no later then MWSF.

I expect a surprise announcement related to Final Cut Pro and shake, when the 970's are announced.

And so I sit, prepared to be elated, or disappointed. I am betting though, on an exciting summer for Apple announcements. It is time!
  • Reply 89 of 300
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Really don't see anything above a dual 1.8 ghz to start for the PowerMacs, with speedbumps up to 2.5 no later then MWSF.

I expect a surprise announcement related to Final Cut Pro and shake, when the 970's are announced.

And so I sit, prepared to be elated, or disappointed. I am betting though, on an exciting summer for Apple announcements. It is time!

and the surprice announcement is: besides fast, faster, fastest powermacs, ultimate: 2.5 Ghz duals for the high-end user. for only $4,499.00
  • Reply 90 of 300
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

And with that translation, what the heck is a "semane?"

The French word for week is semaine. This spelling/typo must have been passed through unchanged by an automatic translation.
  • Reply 91 of 300
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Meh. I'll believe it when it's sitting on my desk. When was the last time Apple introduced a completely new product and shipped it immediately? Not the Cube, not the iPod, not the dual-USB iBooks, not the LCD iMacs, not the Ti. Given Steve's penchant for secrecy and surprises, I just can't imagine Apple letting warehouses of new Power Macs fill up so that any stock boy can leak photos and specs. \
  • Reply 92 of 300
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    For those of you skeptical that Apple can't possibly release the 970 in a PowerBook first, or a 970 in both PowerMacs and PowerBooks simultaneously, I think you need to look back at history.

According to LEM (lowendmac.com):

First PowerMac with a G3

First PowerBook with a G3

The PowerBook, when it first received the G3 processor, was introduced on November 10, 1997. Meanwhile, the PowerMac, when it first received the G3 processor, was introduced on November 15, 1997.
  • Reply 93 of 300
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

and the surprice announcement is: besides fast, faster, fastest powermacs, ultimate: 2.5 Ghz duals for the high-end user. for only $4,499.00

That is way too expensive.
  • Reply 94 of 300
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    www.macrumors.com

One reader noted that a new Apple Store banner contains a side view of a revised Apple keyboard -- with a larger base, and no USB ports on the sides (as on current keyboards).

Additional reports indicate that in the new Keyboard design, the USB ports have been moved to the back, positioned on either side of the keyboard cord.

Minor mouse revisions are expected as well.

http://www.macrumors.com/downloads/k..._macrumors.jpg

Could this not be additional proof of an updated PowerMac coming sooner than expected? One can only hope!
  • Reply 95 of 300
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    well since I am in need of a 15 inch powerbook... and this being "the year of the portable" I have no problems with the powerbook being the first to get devirgintized by the 970... Maybe we will see a convertible tablet config along with the new 970 I would like that to... it would be nicer to watch movies on the powerbook if you can twist around the screen so you don't have to look at the keyboard...
  • Reply 96 of 300
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Meh. I'll believe it when it's sitting on my desk. When was the last time Apple introduced a completely new product and shipped it immediately? Not the Cube, not the iPod, not the dual-USB iBooks, not the LCD iMacs, not the Ti. Given Steve's penchant for secrecy and surprises, I just can't imagine Apple letting warehouses of new Power Macs fill up so that any stock boy can leak photos and specs. \

A lot of Apple's problems with "late deliveries" has been in part to supply and assembly chain problems, and the effort to tie announcements to a single major event like MacWorld that is planned and scheduled months in advance.

Apple is moving away from big event announcments to a process of creating an event when the product is ready, and the inventory is on hand. Now instead of having announcements tied to events that are planned months in advance, they can be more flexible and announce at special events that require a few weeks, pre planning or less, when the inventory and product is ready. The latest example is the iPod event. If supply or manufacturing channels experience a problem, the event timing can be adjusted. If finished product is starting to be delivered to warehouses by the end of May, Apple could safely plan an event following WWDC that would allow them to announce immediate or very short-term availability.

The process might be like this.

1. End of May, confirmation that satisfactory product is being produced and inventory is being warehoused.

2. the Event is mostly planned except for dates and last minute details. A date and location is set for 1 month later.

3. No major glitches occur, the PPC 970 and supporting core technology is introduced in "general terms" at WWDC. We know what is coming, but lack the details. Developers are provided with the tools to begin immediate development of products capable of taking advantage of it in preperation for Panther.

4. June 27-30th, shipping orders are dispatched to the secure warehouse(s) to begin the delivery process, trucks and containers are loaded and dispatched accross the country to retail outlets.

5. Tuesday, July 1st, beginning of financial Q3 Apple announces the new Macintoshes, with immediate ordering availability and retail availability on Friday, July 4th. (Independence day in the US.)

6. Many of us will feel liberated but a few will complain that they didn't introduce a machine at least 2 times faster then the current P4 from Intel. 10-20% faster won't be enough.

7. A few others will complain because somebodies custom home built gaming machine they read about runs UT or Quake 20 frames faster.

8. Within a week after, someone will post a thread in a rumors forum asking when the &*%#@ is Apple going to update their PowerMacs again, because they are too slow.

9. A PC columnist will write that the Athlon 64 is expected to eventually outperform the new PowerMacs.

10. Intel "announces" a new 8ghz P4 with liquid nitrogen cooling.
  • Reply 97 of 300
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    LOL I think you have it about right! But of course the 15" PowerBook will be updated this month just because I want one!
  • Reply 98 of 300
    fatmac84fatmac84 Posts: 67member
    I still vote for the 970 machine (either PB or PM or both) at WWDC with Beta of Panther. 8)
  • Reply 99 of 300
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

4. June 27-30th, shipping orders are dispatched to the secure warehouse(s) to begin the delivery process, trucks and containers are loaded and dispatched accross the country to retail outlets.

5. Tuesday, July 1st, beginning of financial Q3 Apple announces the new Macintoshes, with immediate ordering availability and retail availability on Friday, July 4th. (Independence day in the US.)

Immediate ordering availability will be the most important thing. We should don't care so much what is the realease date for 970. The most important thing for us should be availability of new 970 Macs (when the machines are in shops)!!!
  • Reply 100 of 300
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That is way too expensive.

yup, your absolutly right, but now nobody can say may price expectations where way too optimistic.

(i actually think that apple will use it's former fastest price tag for this ultimate machine: $3,499.00, with some BTO options)