New eMacs Arrive Starting at $799

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

There shouldn't be an $1700 eMac at all. That's crazy.

There isn't - that's a BTO model with 1GB RAM etc.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It's Matsu, and his amazing dead horse! See him flog it!

He's right, to some extent, though I don't think the world really waits with baited breath for a headless eMac.

Very nice update, I thought, especially for one I wasn't expecting at all.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

The iMacs are definitely looking like a bad value. Overpriced as usual. The $1299 iMac has no Airport Extreme, no 133 MHz bus, and a worse graphics card.

They will probably be updated soon (but then you will say that the eMacs look like a bad deal and so on and so on ).
  • Reply 24 of 77
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    New keyboard, boys.

Select the eMac at the Apple Store, then click the Photo Gallery at the bottom of the model selection page.

2 USB ports at the back near the cord...
  • Reply 25 of 77
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Does anyone know how many education purchases an individual can make in a year?

In the U.S. for Higher Ed, it's one desktop and one laptop per school year (July 1st through June 30th), and, IIRC, two or three software purchases in the same time frame.

So, you could purchase an iBook on June 30th, 2003, and a PowerBook on July 1st, 2003 and be within allowed restrictions.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    For Education purchasers, at the Canadian Apple Store:

Purchase Quantity

Eligible purchasers will be allowed to purchase one each of the following per academic school year: PowerBook or iBook; iMac; eMac; Power Macintosh G4; Display; iPod. One copy of each software title on the Educator Advantage Store.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

It's Matsu, and his amazing dead horse! See him flog it!

He's right, to some extent, though I don't think the world really waits with baited breath for a headless eMac.

Very nice update, I thought, especially for one I wasn't expecting at all.

Well if Apple would just let it stay dead, but untill they build a proper marketshare grabbing machine, I'll keep whipping that bastard all the way to the glue factory.

And of course I'm right, you expect anything else?

And, if that keyboard has scissor action keys, I'm all over it. Can you order it seperate?

Mebbe Eugene is right, and a PRO version with backlit keys is on the way.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you want scissor-action keys, you could just pick up a MacAlly iceKey. A friend of mine has one - the keys are amazing, and the whole thing is very stylish and flat. And since it's MacAlly, it has a Macintosh layout w/ the eject button and sound adjustments.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    I wanna see few alternatives first. I'm not too crazy about the look of the iceKey. Too flat and white.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    1280x960 at 75 Hz now. I'm sure this was 60 Hz before...

Also the mouse is new. No more selecting the clicking stiffness.

• Reply 31 of 77
    You sure? I though I saw 72, and before it was 66?

75 is barely passable. 85 is the true flicker free zone to these eyes.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It used to be 72 Hz, and apparently now it's 75 Hz. A minor improvement - and the older Studio Display ADC CRT did 1280x1024 at 75 Hz so maybe they're using the same tube instead of a cheapened version like before. That must also be why the eMac weighs so much... I used to have an ADC CRT and it was SO incredibly heavy, significantly heavier than the blue 17" Studio Display, despite being slightly smaller.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Also the mouse is new. No more selecting the clicking stiffness.

Perhaps this is a cost cutting issue, and I think that the Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse will continue to exist.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Perhaps this is a cost cutting issue, and I think that the Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse will continue to exist.

We're clearly seeing two different mouse/keyboard lines coming into life here. So maybe we'll see an updated pro-mouse/keyboard lineup soon. Maybe introduced with the new PowerMacs. So, will the iMac keep the "pro" keyboard or will we see the non-pro keyboard bundled with it in the future? Right now the iMac is a premium machine and deserves a premium keyboard (at least at the current pricepoint).
  • Reply 35 of 77
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Maybe the "pro" lineup will get a real two-button mouse, or that goofy rotary thing Apple has patented.

I'd really like to see two buttons on the Powerbooks. The main excuse people give for Apple not providing 2 buttons is that "it's confusing for new computer users."

We can safely assume that not many new computer users will be Powerbookin' it, can't we?
  • Reply 36 of 77
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

We can safely assume that not many new computer users will be Powerbookin' it, can't we?

Not really.

Say you've never felt the need for a computer, and don't want or have the space for a big pile of beige boxes taking over the living room/study/bedroom. You get a laptop.

Just an example.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I guess i was right about teh mouse in the banner that everyone overlooked.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Apple shoud sell a final cut pro keyboard
  • Reply 39 of 77
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

PS, Radeon7500 and GF4MX ***on the Mac*** are just about the same thing. DX performance means nothing on the mac, it's all about OpenGL. Or did the eMacs have GF2MX? iDunnaremember?

Speaking of performance the radeon 7500 is faster than a gf 2 mx but slower than a geforce 4mx.

The new e mac is a better deal than the old model. The 15 inch i mac will be updated soon ...
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Does anyone know if Digidesign's Mbox/ProTools 6 LE will work with the eMac?