New eMacs Arrive Starting at $799

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Hellooooooooooooooooooooo? Someone at Apple must be living in the 90s because 128 RAM hasn't been enough for a LONG time. JLL an additional 256 must cost apple $15 and it sure as hell is worth it so newbies who don't even know what RAM is don't get a bad impression of Apple. This situation is getting embarrassing. 128 RAM? Give it all the speed you want, without RAM it's going to choke on OS X with multiple apps.

Yeah, but when Apple bought RAM prices might have been higher. Apple can't buy RAM like average customers do. Maybe Steve Jobs should make solution for high Apple RAM prices. Apple RAM prices are ridiculous.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Are they kidding me? Does Apple actually think that a gamer would go anywhere near the eMac with 32mb of unupgradeable Vram? This is still an overpriced underpowered non upgradeable AIO thats good for little kids and schools and maybe surfing the net. Its also obvious that Apple doesnt care much about cosmetics anymore (which was mainly the only reason for buying ther all in ones in the past) because if they did care they would at least attempt to change the color of this thing (and the iMac) to something other than white. White is yesterdays color, Jobs. Wake up and smell the Green Tea! And for God sakes if you're going to overcharge the consumer at least put 256 Mbs of Ram in all the models.

eMac isn't good gaming machine. If you play games, buy fast PC or console like Gamegube, PS2 or XBox. Mac has never been real gamemachine. You have to always wait Mac version, when PC version is available in gameshops. Buy Mac for homeoffice and console for gaming. New consoles like GC and XBox aren't so bad, if we talk about graphics and sound. Network gaming is also supported. PC is still better in some areas, if you need mouse and keyboard like in Quake. Consoles are coming to close.

eMac is perfect for home office. Just but more RAM and then it's ready. Great UNIX like OS and good software. Office X isn't so bad and you can always use OpenOffice with X11. Apple should say clearly, that eMac is great computer for homeoffice (for affordable price) and not for gamers.

Do we really need so much (processor) power in home use like www, email, office and light photo/video editing etc...? Yeah, Macs are slow in professional 3D and professional work, but there is enough processor power for home office use. That what eMac is.

White is perfect color for these home machines. Just ask from older people and they say all white! My parents just like when color of computer is neutral, equable and white is just that.

RAM prices are seriuos problem for Apple and Steve Jobs should work with that problem. Apple RAM prices are ridiculous.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

Yeah, but when Apple bought RAM prices might have been higher. Apple can't buy RAM like average customers do. Maybe Steve Jobs should make solution for high Apple RAM prices. Apple RAM prices are ridiculous.

Are you kidding. Apple most surely can get great deals on RAM. Yes Apples RAM prices are outrageous, but thats only because they have huge margins on it, not because Apple pays more for RAM than consumers do. 256MB should have been the minimum amount of RAM any modern computer, at least computers that is meant for running os X, should be sold with.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

JLL an additional 256 must cost apple $15 and it sure as hell is worth it so newbies who don't even know what RAM is don't get a bad impression of Apple. This situation is getting embarrassing. 128 RAM? Give it all the speed you want, without RAM it's going to choke on OS X with multiple apps.

I just stated that Mac OS X only Macs have a minimum of 256 MB RAM - I didn't say that it was OK to ship Macs with 128 MB.

But take a look at Dell's home systems:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc...n_desktops.htm

Two of them ship with 128 MB.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    $799 is a good deal. They should offer this headless for the same price.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Yeah right. My $300 PC with an integrated GeForce 2MX (which used 32 MB of shared memory) was real smooth and nice in Warcraft III, but my iBook stinks at it despite having the Radeon 7500 with dedicated VRAM. As I said before, it's not just about the graphics power available, it's about how the game harnesses that power. And most Mac games don't take advantage of your graphics card, even though you have to pay 2x more for an equal card.

Small nitpick - your iBook has a Radeon Mobility 7500, which is actually a Radeon VE derivative and about equal in power to the original Radeon. The real Radeon 7500 is more powerful.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    nevermind
  • Reply 68 of 77
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

Small nitpick - your iBook has a Radeon Mobility 7500, which is actually a Radeon VE derivative and about equal in power to the original Radeon. The real Radeon 7500 is more powerful.

That, and you're running 2x AGP, not the 4x your PC is most likely running.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

That, and you're running 2x AGP, not the 4x your PC is most likely running.

Or in this case, the eMac.

Was is AGP 2x before the update?
  • Reply 70 of 77
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yes. Now it's 4x. I don't know about the iMacs though. I'm guessing 2x on the low end and 4x on the high end.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I am not a gamer, but use my iMac G3 500 for personal and home office use. I am a target market for the new eMac, and I must say that I am tempted.

Maybe I'll give the iMac to the kids and buy myself the new eMac. On the other hand, I think that the next year will provide more speed boosts right across the Mac line, so maybe I'll wait.

I know, I know, I don't really need more speed given the nature of the apps I actually use. But I don't really need the new eMac right now either, so I might as well wait and see what the new year brings to the Mac line. Any guesses on this last point by the AI community?
  • Reply 72 of 77
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't think the iMac or eMac will get much more than speed bumps for the rest of the year. The PowerMacs will get 970 sometime this year, and maybe even the PowerBooks too, but not iMacs or eMacs yet. Depending on when a PowerMac 970 comes out, it could be anytime next year.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I don't think the iMac or eMac will get much more than speed bumps for the rest of the year. The PowerMacs will get 970 sometime this year, and maybe even the PowerBooks too, but not iMacs or eMacs yet. Depending on when a PowerMac 970 comes out, it could be anytime next year.

eMac? Speed bumps? I think the eMac's got it's speed bump for the year. There's little reason for Apple to update a machine designed for the education buying cycle once that cycle is over.

Sure, they sell it to the general public, but as with all things cheap, the eMac is just designed to get people in the door. They want to sell you an iMac.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i've been holding off on purchasing a computer for what feels like forever (as some of you can attest to). and i thought i had it all planned out. then this happens. i've got money saved up, ready to go. enough from a pretty nice mid-range tower....

BUT

i could just buy a 1 GHz eMac, and spend the rest on peripherals that i could migrate to a new machine later. i want to do print and web design at home. do i need faster than 1 ghz??? hell, most of my studio has been saddled with 350-400 MHz G4s due to budget constraints. it's not fun, but it's workable.

ACK! brain... going to... explode...
  • Reply 75 of 77
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Macdoobie posted another picture of the new eMac keyboard and mouse:

Hmm... doesn't look very nice IMO
  • Reply 76 of 77
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Hmm... doesn't look very nice IMO

well, the eMac IS the education computer...

i'm guessing that's why the removed the click adjustment from the mouse and the angle adjustment from the keyboard... less stuff for kids to mess with the better...
  • Reply 77 of 77
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

eMac? Speed bumps? I think the eMac's got it's speed bump for the year. There's little reason for Apple to update a machine designed for the education buying cycle once that cycle is over.

Sure, they sell it to the general public, but as with all things cheap, the eMac is just designed to get people in the door. They want to sell you an iMac.

But don't you think that there will be speed bumps right across the full Mac line-up when the 970 comes out? Not right away maybe, but within a few months?