• Reply 41 of 77
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

Apple shoud sell a final cut pro keyboard

Just get these .
  • Reply 42 of 77
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    15" iMac may be EOL'd soon. Rumors are that it will be gone by the end of the summer. Look for 19" coming soon? One problem, LCD screen prices are soaring again. Demand is outstripping supply.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    I am wondering.. With a Radeon 7500, maybe the "iBook Hack" can be used on it.. If so, there is almost nothing holding me back from buying one...
  • Reply 44 of 77
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

I guess i was right about teh mouse in the banner that everyone overlooked.

"teh mouse" is absolutely identical from every viewpoint bar the bottom. Those familiar with the white Pro Mice that come with newer Macs logically assumed the mouse was the same; the perspective was just off. That being said, there is no way to tell (just by looking) if the mouse pictured in the Apple Retail Store banner was a new Apple Mouse, or an old Apple Pro Mouse.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Speaking of performance the radeon 7500 is faster than a gf 2 mx but slower than a geforce 4mx.

The new e mac is a better deal than the old model. The 15 inch i mac will be updated soon ...

or possibly axed all together?

That's been the scuttlebut at a couple of sites.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Are they kidding me? Does Apple actually think that a gamer would go anywhere near the eMac with 32mb of unupgradeable Vram? This is still an overpriced underpowered non upgradeable AIO thats good for little kids and schools and maybe surfing the net. Its also obvious that Apple doesnt care much about cosmetics anymore (which was mainly the only reason for buying ther all in ones in the past) because if they did care they would at least attempt to change the color of this thing (and the iMac) to something other than white. White is yesterdays color, Jobs. Wake up and smell the Green Tea! And for God sakes if you're going to overcharge the consumer at least put 256 Mbs of Ram in all the models.

>With the increased power of the graphics card in the eMac, Apple hopes to appeal to consumers of all types including the gamers, who typically require much more power in their graphics than average users.

"We think graphics are important to customers," said Joswiak. "Often times they are surprised when they get a low-cost PC home and find out it's not a very good game machine. Things like 3D gaming are important to the consumer and we want to offer a great experience to them which means offering dedicated video controllers and dedicated video memory."<
  • Reply 47 of 77
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

>With the increased power of the graphics card in the eMac, Apple hopes to appeal to consumers of all types including the gamers, who typically require much more power in their graphics than average users.

"We think graphics are important to customers," said Joswiak. "Often times they are surprised when they get a low-cost PC home and find out it's not a very good game machine. Things like 3D gaming are important to the consumer and we want to offer a great experience to them which means offering dedicated video controllers and dedicated video memory."<

Yeah right. My $300 PC with an integrated GeForce 2MX (which used 32 MB of shared memory) was real smooth and nice in Warcraft III, but my iBook stinks at it despite having the Radeon 7500 with dedicated VRAM. As I said before, it's not just about the graphics power available, it's about how the game harnesses that power. And most Mac games don't take advantage of your graphics card, even though you have to pay 2x more for an equal card.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Are they kidding me? Does Apple actually think that a gamer would go anywhere near the eMac with 32mb of unupgradeable Vram?

The eMac isn't targeted hardcore gamers who buys Alienware computers - it's targeted the casual gamer who would have bought a PC with an Intel chipset if he chose to buy a PC.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Its also obvious that Apple doesnt care much about cosmetics anymore (which was mainly the only reason for buying ther all in ones in the past) because if they did care they would at least attempt to change the color of this thing (and the iMac) to something other than white. White is yesterdays color, Jobs. Wake up and smell the Green Tea!

So what is today's colour?

I disagree...I think the current crop of iMacs/eMac in white, still retain a coolness factor and is less likely to become tired than trendy colours.

The only colours I could see are more natural earth tones.

Now power and price...that's another issue, but they're getting better, albeit slowly.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

And most Mac games don't take advantage of your graphics card, even though you have to pay 2x more for an equal card.

Actually...most PC cards will work out of the box with the Mac, or with a ROM flash. Not the easiest thing in the world to do, but better than paying 2X more in my book.

Also...most PC games ported to Mac don't do much to harness the system's true power. Sloppy would be a nice way of putting many Mac games that originated on PC. Why not just get a PS2 or Gamecube?
  • Reply 51 of 77
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The eMac isn't targeted hardcore gamers who buys Alienware computers - it's targeted the casual gamer who would have bought a PC with an Intel chipset if he chose to buy a PC.

JLL: Nice post.

steve666: Does anyone buy a Mac purely for gaming? You're better off getting a PC or a console. Better hardware, better games. Last time I checked, the eMac was aimed at the education and small home/business market, not the bleeding edge gaming market. I'll take a 32MB Radeon over my 8MB Rage 128 any day. The Radeon certainly outclasses the intergrated Intel 3D hardware found in most cheap PCs and e-Machines. The new eMacs pack a huge punch for their price. I'm looking forward to getting the 1Ghz with the Combo drive.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I am so sick of hearing the whining from the gamers. Game games games- its like listening to a bunch of kids.

Having said that I think a smart aquisition on Apple's part would be to buy one of the companies that port PC games to the Mac. Then they could staff it with expert Mac programers who know how to write software for the Mac.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    There's already a price drop on the old eMac stock

The old combo drive eMac now costs 1250 CDN.....at least from my friend's place.....other places are selling the same thing for almost 1400 CDN.....

Just ordered one for my aunt......and the thing is now shipping from the warehouse in Toronto.....
  • Reply 54 of 77
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    that's the greatest thing about the eMac -- pure Mac ecstasy for a bargain price. I've wanted to get my parents one for a long time to replace the long-in-the-tooth Beige G3 desktop (266). You know a computer's been left far behind when it takes almost 30 seconds for a web browser to go back after clicking the button. To think we just considered it normal or even if fast --- wow, we've come far despite G4 stagnancy.

Anyway, back to the eMac. Yeah, kick butt for most people looking for a machine. Hardcore gamers kiss off and don't compain --- you wouldn't actually buy an AIO anyway. :P

But dang, for a nice 17" CRT with a 1GHz G4 and decent graphics, I can see graphics departments at unis and even smaller design houses snapping these up for a "fleet."
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Having said that I think a smart aquisition on Apple's part would be to buy one of the companies that port PC games to the Mac. Then they could staff it with expert Mac programers who know how to write software for the Mac.

Now THAT is a genious idea! Not sure what else I am to say to that, but that would be a very smart move on Apple's part. Very smart.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Whoa, the Superdrive eMac is only 1149 for Edu individuals. $150 and 11.5% off!

That is an incredibly tempting price, even though I would rather do without the build-in CRT. I'm ready to move from my Rev.A iMac to a system with an external LCD. And the, of course, there's the 970 on the horizon. What is a guy like me to do?

Escher
  • Reply 57 of 77
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Get the eMac! Heck, even if the 970 decides to make an early appearance, you can still use the eMac for a really nice music machine or server !! (and for a little over a grand, you're not broke)

that reminds me; I need to find an old iMac (a DV with firewire) for my stereo next year and say bye-bye to my CD changer. It's just not getting much use...
  • Reply 58 of 77
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

It's Matsu, and his amazing dead horse! See him flog it!

He's right, to some extent, though I don't think the world really waits with baited breath for a headless eMac.

As stated above, I'm completely with Matsu on the headless eMac issue. However, I couldn't care less about gaming performance. Buy a game box or shut up!

Still, I think this is a great upgrade. If it wasn't for the fan noise and the sheer weight of the eMac, I'd be ordering one right now. I'll go to my local Apple Store this weekend to ponder my options. Of course, waiting even longer doesn't cost a thing.

BTW: What's wrong with flogging dead horses? It's not like you're taking another life.

Escher
  • Reply 59 of 77
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    arrrggg....

If only I had $999 right now....I've got $35 dollars in the bank...

My next paycheck should be coming in June. I should have around $1000 by mid-July.

(note new sig.)

Escher: See, unlike your issue, my problem is not deciding whether or not to wait. My financial situation forces me to.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hellooooooooooooooooooooo? Someone at Apple must be living in the 90s because 128 RAM hasn't been enough for a LONG time. JLL an additional 256 must cost apple $15 and it sure as hell is worth it so newbies who don't even know what RAM is don't get a bad impression of Apple. This situation is getting embarrassing. 128 RAM? Give it all the speed you want, without RAM it's going to choke on OS X with multiple apps.