New Laptop model on October 15th.

Comments

• Reply 301 of 444
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>

You're russian?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is one of the all-time great ripostes. Good one!
  • Reply 302 of 444
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    [quote] What do we Americans care? Last I checked we had kicked both your asses then we were nice enough to save both your asses. <hr></blockquote>

What? Do you mean that period of time when WWII was occuring and the US believed that it didn't affect them so they sat on their hands while Europe was being strangled by the then German War Machine? Hmm, I wonder how many 10's-100's of thousands of people would have lived if they participated earlier, instead of letting the UK and the remainder of Europe to deal with the threat.

Thought so...
  • Reply 303 of 444
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    The bloody French eh? Eh? And those pansy-assed Brits, I don't know.

Don't they realise that when the Americans weighed in and helped tip the balance of the Second World War, they Americans won the right to have every single misplaced foreign policy idea and hypocritical statement applauded? In perpetuity? Meh.

Don't know what this has to do with Future Hardware any more.

Maybe a firewall?
  • Reply 304 of 444
    hookhook Posts: 42member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZoranS:

<strong>

What? Do you mean that period of time when WWII was occuring and the US believed that it didn't affect them so they sat on their hands while Europe was being strangled by the then German War Machine? Hmm, I wonder how many 10's-100's of thousands of people would have lived if they participated earlier, instead of letting the UK and the remainder of Europe to deal with the threat.

Thought so...</strong><hr></blockquote>

What ifs don't do anybody any good. What if Chamberlain hadn't basically given Poland to the Nazis? What if France had invested more resources in training and equiping their military, instead of building an expensive immobile defensive line?

What if Apple had actually released the new PBs on October 15th? This thread never would have gotten so far off topic if those damn PBs were already out.
  • Reply 305 of 444
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    At least some people here have a sense of irony - I can't believe the Yanks really believe that they saved the world by turning up three years late, for a war, not once, but twice (WW1 & WWII).

And the French are backwards? Oh, right, they just changed their entire monetry system to integrate with most of the EU. The Americans can't even deal with coloured banknotes.
  • Reply 306 of 444
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>At least some people here have a sense of irony - I can't believe the Yanks really believe that they saved the world by turning up three years late, for a war, not once, but twice (WW1 & WWII).

And the French are backwards? Oh, right, they just changed their entire monetry system to integrate with most of the EU. The Americans can't even deal with coloured banknotes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not gonna argue any point or take sides, but the US without a doubt *did* save the world twice and will probably do so again. Not yankee arrogance, just fact.
  • Reply 307 of 444
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hey kids, Fireside Chat is the big noisy room down the hall. This thread is about new PowerBook models.

Merci beaucoup.
  • Reply 308 of 444
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member

<strong>What? Do you mean that period of time when WWII was occuring and the US believed that it didn't affect them so they sat on their hands while Europe was being strangled by the then German War Machine? Hmm, I wonder how many 10's-100's of thousands of people would have lived if they participated earlier, instead of letting the UK and the remainder of Europe to deal with the threat.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This response is in two parts.

Part 1:

The US did not sit on its hands for the first three years of WWII. It did, in fact, sell huge amounts of military supplies and materials to the British, then charged the bejesus out of them. We took back any British-owned property in the US, took over any British-owned companies in the US, and took vast sums from the British government's bank accounts. We're capitalists above all else.

Part 2:

Get this thread back on topic or feel the back of my moderating hand, people.

Ahem.

That is all.
  • Reply 309 of 444
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Hey kids, Fireside Chat is the big noisy room down the hall. This thread is about new PowerBook models.

Merci beaucoup. </strong><hr></blockquote>

well unless they are talking about october 15th 2003, this thread should be closed.....

you all waited and got screwed... sucks to be you.
  • Reply 310 of 444

<strong>

Hmm, I wonder how many 10's-100's of thousands of people would have lived if they participated earlier, instead of letting the UK and the remainder of Europe to deal with the threat.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

If it happened again today we would be there for them from the very start. It's just that the French would not allow us to use their airspace.

Seriously though, whenever we get involved everyone complains about it. Whenever we stay out of it everyone complains about it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The US is the world's whipping post I guess. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I never understood that quote when I was younger but I sure do now.

Anyway, back to the subject...

Now we must wait for another deadline, this time November 5th. Its so close to January it makes me wonder. Again I must ask what the big deal about adding Bluetooth is. Most rumors say a Superdrive will be included but Bluetooth will not. I don't really care about Bluetooth but what could be so difficult about integrating it? They have had over a year to do so. What gives?

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 311 of 444
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Calling night nurse
  • Reply 312 of 444
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    I'm guessing price. Upgrading from a combo to a superdrive will in itself be pretty pricy and impressive. Bluetooth will tack on $50 to the price. Or Apple may just be saving it for the upgrade in case it falls short on upgrades to put in.
  • Reply 313 of 444
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I doubt Apple will wait until MWSF for PB updates. They'll probably use that for the iMac if anything. Also, perhaps the iPod or something else we didn't expect. Also, iBooks look like they'll be updated before MWSF. These lines are really starting to show their age.
  • Reply 314 of 444
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Now the buzz is Nov 5th. A few different people at different places are saying that's the day. New form factor too. I can wait another 2 weeks
  • Reply 315 of 444
    What about the iBook? Faster? Different?

Sincerely,

Dr. L
  • Reply 316 of 444
    I don't think Bluetooth would cost that much to add. That is the price for an aftermarket adaptor not a chip on the motherboard. Perhaps they are going to integrate Airport 802.11g and Bluetooth into a single optional card. That may be more cost efficient for them and could certainly be the cause of a holdup as well.

November 5th is the rumor of the week because a single distributor is expecting a supply of PowerBooks on the 5th. They don't know if they are "new" PowerBooks or not but they have not received any in a while.
  • Reply 317 of 444
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I work at an Apple reseller, and we've been told by our distributor that Combo drive iBooks are sitting at about a two week wait, because of a revision. A call to Apple got a response of, "We cannot comment on unreleased products."

Which doesn't mean much in the long run.

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Kesh ]</p>
  • Reply 318 of 444
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Well not that this means too much... Here is a rundown of release dates for the PBG4 as well as the iBook

================================================== ===============

Mach | CPU. | Low | High| Intro | Disc. | Days

PBG4 | 7410 | 400 | 500 | 01-01 | 11-01 | 300 days

PBG4 | 7451 | 550 | 667 | 10-01 | 04-02 | 180 days

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PBG4 | 7445 | 667 | 800 | 04-02 | 10-02 | 180 days and counting

Days are apx since I didn't get exact day of Intro/Disc just month+year

Mach. | CPU.. | Low | High| Intro | Disc. | Days

iBook | 750.. | 300 | 366 | 07-99 | 09-00 | 420 days

iBook | 750cx | 366 | 466 | 09-00 | 05-01 | 240 days

iBook | 750cx | 500 | 500 | 05-01 | 11-01 | 180 days

iBook | 750cx | 500 | 600 | 10-01 | 05-02 | 210 days (see below for 14" MWSF intro)

iBook | 750cx | 600 | 600 | 01-02 | 05-02 | 120 days (14" intro)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

iBook | 750fx | 600 | 700 | 05-02 | 10-02 | 150 days and counting (12")

iBook | 750fx | 700 | 700 | 05-02 | 10-02 | 150 days and counting (14")

Days are apx since I didn't get exact day of Intro/Disc just month+year

Dave
  • Reply 319 of 444
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I am hearing from a reliable source the first two weeks of November for new Powerbooks. I am confident enough to put my current PB up for sale.

[ 10-26-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
  • Reply 320 of 444
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What about iBooks, for us po folks? And specs