New PPC 970 Laptops

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    unless of course they're getting a fair number of chips that only sample at 1.2 Ghz which they don't want to put in towers.

if every batch has a certain percentage that can only run at 1.2Ghz, you gotta put 'em somewhere.....

although i haven't heard beans about a laptop.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

unless of course they're getting a fair number of chips that only sample at 1.2 Ghz which they don't want to put in towers.

if every batch has a certain percentage that can only run at 1.2Ghz, you gotta put 'em somewhere.....

And your right, the laptop front seems to be silent. I just think apple has enough to deal with as it is. The PowerBooks will get updates in time. The towers have top priority as it is.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I think we don't have enough public information up which to judge wheter or not Apple is likely to produce a 970 based laptop in the very near future.

This case is a little different than the usual wait for faster G4s which seems more akin to the Perils of Pauline than engineering.

You have to think that Apple and IBM have been collaborating on the 970 for well over a year. They may have had samples for the desing team to work with for over a year.

I'd surmise that it is in the realm of possibility for Apple to have a 970 based laptop this summer. Certainly there would be difficulties managing the heat and battery load. On the other hand, we have had no recent power drain information (that I know of). The figure of 19W @1.2GHz is rather dated and so does not apply to actual chips coming off the production line. This could be better or worse than the earlier figure.

In the end I think the decision rested with senior management to either be aggressive and risk coming out with a flawed product or to be conservative and miss several months of sales.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Hey when can we get avatars? I like the dragon/snake you have alcimedes. We should all be able to have them too!

Trogdor the Burninator.

All in all, the chances of seeing a PPC 970-based laptop before or even alongside new towers are pretty low.

The luxurious 17" PowerBook is a the most likely place for a portable 970 to debut, but that doesn't mean that we won't see an aluminium 15" with an upclocked 7457 really soon.

Integrating an entirely new enclosure, motherboard and processor is a lot to take on in one go. Recall that big tech introductions from Apple have traditionally kept some holdover from the previous generation they replaced: G4s in the El Capitan case, for example.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

This is unlikely. Most people misunderstand the low power 1.2GHz/1.1V part. When the chips are tested they are tested at different voltages and frequencies, parts which operate at say 1.8GHz @ 1.3V, will then be tested at a lower voltage and may make it to 1.2GHz @ 1.1V, because they have good fast transistors which can operate at the lower voltage, these will be the best chips available.

So, the low power chips are not the slowest bin chips, but amongst the fastest bin chips, and this is why they often command a premium over the upper speed bin chips.

There are inaccuracies in this description, but it's a reasonable explanation.

michael
  • Reply 26 of 122
    I haven't seen anyone here mention it, so I'll throw it out there...

might the rumors of the "longer, narrower" motherboard be for the 17" P'book? Seriously, think about it...and I don't recall ever seeing a rumor that said the new boards were known to be for PowerMacs (vs PowerBooks). YotLaptop!

Edit: meaning we may very well be seeing 970 laptops soon...
  • Reply 27 of 122
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    So, it might be easier for you to get a low speed chip for an iMac, than a LOW POWER chip for a PowerBook! I think we can agree that there will not be a 970 iMac before a 970 PB, and if it's too costly to get a low power 970, then you'll get a fast G4 (.13u) PB for at least the next 6-12 months.

Just another reason why 970 will nly be in the Powermacs for at least a couple of quarters. Maybe, they'll get into the 17" PB, that sucker costs a lot already, people in the market for it will pay.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Holy crap can you imagine 970s in a 12" PB!? Talk about chestnuts roasting on an open fire...! I don't want to be impotent Apple! I already have to sit awkwardly with the 12" PB. 8)
  • Reply 29 of 122
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Holy crap can you imagine 970s in a 12" PB!? Talk about chestnuts roasting on an open fire...! I don't want to be impotent Apple! I already have to sit awkwardly with the 12" PB. 8)

I have a much rosier vision of the PPC 970 in a 12-inch PowerBook. Apple can always reduce processor speed when running on battery (e.g. when on your lap), like they do with current G4 chips. I'd be perfectly happy to buy a 1.2Ghz PPC 970 12-inch PowerBook that clocked as low as 600Mhz when on battery. On top of that, I imagine that IBM is working on power-saving features similar to what Intel implemented in the Pentium M, e.g. variable voltage.

I've been saying that I'll buy a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook when they are released regardless of processor. I'm obviously hoping Rev.B will bring us the 970. More realistically, we'll probably only get faster (and possibly smaller process) G4's. In that case, I'm starting to think that I could live with my iBook a little longer, and wait for a 970-powered 12-inch. Time, and released products, will tell what I end up doing.

Escher
  • Reply 30 of 122
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I have a much rosier vision of the PPC 970 in a 12-inch PowerBook. Apple can always reduce processor speed when running on battery (e.g. when on your lap), like they do with current G4 chips. I'd be perfectly happy to buy a 1.2Ghz PPC 970 12-inch PowerBook that clocked as low as 600Mhz when on battery.

Uh, plugged-in != not in lap.

I use my 12" PB on the sofa all the time - plugged in. Having it plugged in will not reduce the heat coming down on the jewels. 'course, I have enough kids as it is, so no harm done, but summer is coming and I don't need the extra heater.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    gruenigrueni Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Uh, plugged-in != not in lap.

I use my 12" PB on the sofa all the time - plugged in. Having it plugged in will not reduce the heat coming down on the jewels. 'course, I have enough kids as it is, so no harm done, but summer is coming and I don't need the extra heater.

You'll have to just "think coooool" (as in "Stand and Deliver" starring Edward James Olmos)

Jo
  • Reply 32 of 122
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    They could turn the energy saver panel into "Genital Saver"
  • Reply 33 of 122
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grueni

You'll have to just "think coooool" (as in "Stand and Deliver" starring Edward James Olmos)

Awesome first post!
  • Reply 34 of 122
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    wait... maybe Alcimedes knows something...

could the 970 laptop be codenamed Trogdor?

Burninate the lap!
  • Reply 35 of 122
    Hot lap?

I have a Wallstreet PB - I know hot lap.

http://www.roadtools.com

$29.95

Best $50 my husband and I ever spent ( you can get two Podium Pads for around $50 - - we LOVE THEM!)
  • Reply 36 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I have a much rosier vision of the PPC 970 in a 12-inch PowerBook.

The Aluminum should glow in a nice pinkish hue from the heat.....
  • Reply 37 of 122
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

The Aluminum should glow in a nice pinkish hue from the heat.....

I suppose also so would your nuts...
  • Reply 38 of 122
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    IBM is saying that the embedded version of the PowerPC has power management.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msnotesgod

Hot lap?

I have a Wallstreet PB - I know hot lap.

http://www.roadtools.com

$29.95

Best $50 my husband and I ever spent ( you can get two Podium Pads for around $50 - - we LOVE THEM!)

Yup, they are darn nice tools; and it (the Pad) helps out if your PowerBook's your primary machine (as it is for me; it's just easier while I'm in college -- I laugh at the people lugging up all their computing gear; mine's in my bag!!!), as it brings it up to a non-neck-arching level.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

IBM is saying that the embedded version of the PowerPC has power management.

Really? I looked through there and couldn't find anything like that? Can you be more specific?