New PPC 970 Laptops

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by haunebu

I don't think moki knows anything the rest of us Average Joes don't. If he does, why does he waste his time on these boards?

::shrug:: believe what you will. I'm happy to let history be the judge...
  • Reply 102 of 122
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

We'll have an AppleInsider raffle for my 12" PowerBook

Sign me up, pscates!

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

The worst part? Another 6-9 months at 1024x768, I guess.

IMO, you should get a larger external monitor, regardless of whether your first laptop is a 15-inch PowerBook G5 or "only" a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook G4. If the 12-inch PowerBook got DVI-out, you could even get an Apple (Cinema) Display.

BTW: If I had to choose between either PPC 970 OR DVI-out on the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook, I'm not sure what my choice would be. Realistically, I would probably pick the 970 for longevity, even though I badly want to hook my future 12-inch PowerBook to an Apple LCD without a $300 adapter.

Escher
  • Reply 103 of 122
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Maybe we'll get both? If not next week, then surely someday? Rev. C, perhaps? Just seems like a no-brainer, really: smallest laptop Apple makes kinda SCREAMS for a way to hook it up to * gasp * Apple's own gorgeous displays, doesn't it?

Macworld themselves even say so, and dinged the 12" PowerBook on that very thing in their otherwise enthusiastic review of it.

Believe me...I've been screaming for DVI on the 12" for a while now! To be completely honest, my ideal laptop would simply be this: a 12" PowerBook with the same features as the 15" and 17" models (I'll even give up the light up keyboard, okay? But everything else - DVI, L3 cache, FireWire 800 - should be there).

If I truly felt the 12" wasn't "crippled" (and every bit the PowerBook that its two older brothers were), I'd not even consider the 15" at all. I'd MUCH rather have something small, light and, dare I say, "cute", but with all the "oomph" of the other two.

Perfect laptop, IMO.

I'd just keep buying 12" PowerBooks every 18 or so months, keeping up with the latest speeds, fastest optical drives, snazziest graphics, roomiest hard drives, etc.

• Reply 104 of 122
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexis

You're not an idiot if you are a real Ensign, USN.

--Alexis

Um, I'm not. It's a movie reference.
  • Reply 105 of 122
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Yes, it's a given at WWDC (or thereabouts) but next year, not this year.

Thank you. Exactly as I predicted, from 12-18 months AFTER 970 PM intros, assuming we see PM's soon.
  • Reply 106 of 122
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, As the Apple Turns seems to think that we will get new PowerBooks very soon, and that they will be worth the wait. On Friday, June 13, Jack wrote:

Quote:

So, yeah, new 15ish-inch PowerBooks are pretty much a dead cert at this point, although there's a teensy little catch: DigiTimes reports that Compal will start shipping Apple's new 15.4-inch PowerBooks "in the second half of this year." That's a pretty vague timeframe, if you think about it-- it sounds like something the cable company tells you when you ask when the repair guy will be there-- but if taken literally, it implies that the earliest anyone's going to get their hot little hands on one is a week after the Stevenote. Not that July 1st is all that far away, or anything, but if you were hoping to snap up an aluminum 15-incher at an Apple retail store scant minutes after Steve's June 23rd extravaganza, you may have to wait just a little longer than that. We recommend biting down on your wallet to avoid swallowing your own tongue until the convulsions pass.

Trust us, the wait for a 15.4-inch model will be worth it; as you all know, sometimes an extra fifth of an inch makes all the difference. And no, we don't mean that dirty. Sheesh.

Here's to new PowerBooks at WWDC, even if they're not based on PPC 970 processors.

Escher
  • Reply 107 of 122
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yes, but even AI rumor states:

"New PowerBooks too?" one asks. "Ah yeah, they are bringing the 15" model up to design spec with the other two models...faster chips in all of them,"

i see that as meaning the 15" gets a G4 and specs equal to 12 and 17" model...faster chips means that they get faster g4 chips i would guess

so all PB models get speed bump, and are now firewire 800, etc etc

17- 1.25 G4 (maybe 1.4 if lucky)

15- 1.25 G4

12-1.0 G4

the g4 is a very good chip of mobile use...the g3 is a good chip...the 970 well may be an excellent chip, but we won't know how it works for the mobile market till dec or jan

g

ps...i had to sneak this information out of 1 infinite loop by smuggling it out hidden in my ass...rather painful yes, especially as i had to sit through an eight hour meeting and had 4 cups of coffee running through my system...but well worth the trouble for the fame and glory
  • Reply 108 of 122
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

so now i have read the actual posts i come to the conclusion that we will have to see a powerbook 970 this year (september?) and the rest of the productline in 2004 (mwsf?).

Hey, do you want to double our little bet?
  • Reply 109 of 122
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Hey, do you want to double our little bet?

no...

i was just guessing what moki exactly ment. i thought i came up with a clever conclusion. and you know what? not so

after reading some other threads and comments, i think i have to fear for my 10 euro's. but you never know so we keep it that way.

we started it, iirc, with my delerious expectations of ibooks G4 and a powerbook 970 before 2004 and your more realistic approach of this issue. right?
  • Reply 110 of 122
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Just a thought - Motorola has been talking about the 7457 for quite some time now, and it seems to be out or close to being out. So if there are G4 bumps in the PowerBooks, they very well could be 7457s. That would be sweet - for all the bitching about Motorola we do here, that 7457 is really a pretty nice chip, at .13 with a 512 L2 cache, it should provide a more than linear performance boost with an increase in battery power and decrease in heat.
  • Reply 111 of 122
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Just a thought - Motorola has been talking about the 7457 for quite some time now, and it seems to be out or close to being out. So if there are G4 bumps in the PowerBooks, they very well could be 7457s. That would be sweet - for all the bitching about Motorola we do here, that 7457 is really a pretty nice chip, at .13 with a 512 L2 cache, it should provide a more than linear performance boost with an increase in battery power and decrease in heat.

I would say that this is a MUCH more reasonable prediction for what will be in the forthcoming powerbooks. No matter how much I would like to see a 970 in a 15 Al book (hello, I would switch from Windows), it just isn't going to happen. I would see the Christmas season as the earliest Apple could get them out (and to accomplish this, they would have to motivate their engineers by threatening to throw them into a furnace). Realistically, it just isn't going to happen this year. Faster G4's though? Now that will happen this year. If only the G4's had a real bus

Sigh, Apple when you come out with a 15 inch 970 Powerbook, I will buy it, a top of the line iPod, and out of gratefulness to his Majesty Jobs, I will probably buy a digital camera from your stores. Thanks for making hardware and software that just works, even if it is a year or two late.
  • Reply 112 of 122
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

It's possible if Mot have learned to ship chip in time. \
  • Reply 113 of 122
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

That would be sweet - for all the bitching about Motorola we do here, that 7457 is really a pretty nice chip, at .13 with a 512 L2 cache, it should provide a more than linear performance boost with an increase in battery power and decrease in heat.

Yup, I would gladly buy a new PowerBook with a 7457 in it; partly because if the 7457 DOES appear in a PowerBook, we'll know Apple is sticking with the G4 a while longer. Part of me thinks this has been Apple's plan; isn't the 7457 pin-compatible with the 7455? It just plugs into the existing motherboards.

I asked but don't think I ever got an answer: am I right that the 7457 supports a 200MHz bus? That alone would be worth something. I think I recall reading that it does NOT support DDR-RAM; that has to wait for the still-MIA 7457-RM.
  • Reply 114 of 122
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Yup, I would gladly buy a new PowerBook with a 7457 in it; partly because if the 7457 DOES appear in a PowerBook, we'll know Apple is sticking with the G4 a while longer. Part of me thinks this has been Apple's plan; isn't the 7457 pin-compatible with the 7455? It just plugs into the existing motherboards.

I asked but don't think I ever got an answer: am I right that the 7457 supports a 200MHz bus? That alone would be worth something. I think I recall reading that it does NOT support DDR-RAM; that has to wait for the still-MIA 7457-RM.

The correct term that it will not benefit DDR ram, the current powerbook 17 inch have some in it. A 200 mhz bus, will be an improvement compared to the 166 mhz, but DDR ram 400 are quite expansive.

The 7457 is not on the way unfortunately, Mot has cancelled it.
  • Reply 115 of 122
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

167Mhz and 200Mhz bus and the 7457RM was cancelled by moto last time i saw it mentioned. btw moto's semiconductor devision is for sale. who's buying?

and i want the subject of this topic with a 15" screen not something propelled by a G4. but, sadly enough, that probally has to wait.
  • Reply 116 of 122
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

167Mhz and 200Mhz bus. and the 7457RM was cancelled by moto last time i saw it mentioned.

I know there was a rumor to that effect, that the RM was cancelled, but was it confirmed? I think the original rumor was on Macbidoulle and said it was dropped because the 970 was going into PowerBooks and Apple didn't need the RM chip.
  • Reply 117 of 122
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Im feeling like the PowerBooks will indeed get the 970's, where the 17" will get a DP 970!.

The 12's and 15's will remain SP.

As far as I know the 7457 have been announced by Moto as in production. This will allow the G4 to scale higher for the iMacs/eMacs and is likely to dissapate power low enough for the iBooks.

This ensures the 'G5's' are for the PRO range and the G4's remain with the consumer products.

Just my 2 cents worth!
  • Reply 118 of 122
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Why I think that a PPC 970 Laptop is possible now.

This is my first post, so please be kind - what the heck, I have a thick hide anyway!

First, the caveats.

There are lots of things that I don't know, amongst them being that;

(1) The 970 or equivalent is available in the necessary numbers.

(2) The 970 supports fully (or close to it) the HyperTransport spec.

(3) Power dissapation of the 970 at full rated clock speed is acceptable under ideal operating conditions!

(4) Cost of the 970 is acceptable.

Now the reasoning.

I think the solution to this particular question lays not with the processor (vitally important but not the issue) but with the system used to connect all the parts together - HyperTransport. Here's why.

First, a look at the capability designed into the HyperTransport specification. HyperTransport is;

(5) Scalable in clock speed.

(6) Scalable in bus width.

(7) Scalable in voltage.

(8) Designed to connect just about everything on the motherboard.

(9) Blindingly fast.

(10) Distributed.

(11) Just beautiful to an engineer. (OK, I added that to the spec!)

Now, to consider where each of these fill the picture out a little.

(5) CMOS as a technology is simply more power consuming the faster you clock it. Clock it more slowly and it uses less power. Stacks of published examples of this in literature. CMOS is good in another way too, in that you can run it to just about zero hertz and it is still predictable. A lower HyperTransport clock rate implies lower clock rates in the supporting silicon (or germanium if some rumours are to be believed regarding possible processor implementations are to be believed).

(6) Run a wide bus between big data generators and big data users, a narrow bus to less demanding peripherals (such as USB ). The former category would include the CPU(s), the GPU and RAM amongst others. HyperTransport by the way is essentially a point to point specification but a particular device can have any number of the implementated at a given time.

(7) Run communications over the HyperTransport link at lower voltages when possible, at higher voltages when necessary. There is no reason why distinct HyperTransport connected units cannot operate at differing voltages.

(8) Because HyperTransport scales so well, even minor components can take advantage of it. Examples might be an ambient light sensor/illumination controller unit, battery condition monitor/charge controller etc. These types of device would not be bandwidth huggers but are necessary. However, consider major components such as PCI and PCI-X. Quoting the HyperTransport Applications Overview White Paper, December 2002;

Since the Hypertransport protocol encompasses the PCI enumeration and configuration protocols, existing operating systems need no modifications to take advantage of the greater bandwidth and integration made possible by Hypertransport technology.

Just simply bridge HyperTransport to PCI (in silicon) and make all your regular calls. So, components of all scales of implementation are covered, or just about.

(9) Does the 12.8 Gigabytes/second aggregate bandwidth back the speed argument up?

(10) The HyperTransport consortium talk about a HyperTransport Fabric. This is comprised of one or more daisy chains of HyperTransport technology devices with a bridge to a host controller system at one end. You can almost picture the main board as a substrate for this wonderful new fabric.

(11) Yes, I'll say it again, HyperTransport looks beautiful to someone who admittedly, hasn't yet designed with it!

So, why is HyperTransport the key?

Well, I think that HyperTransport is the key to the ubiquitous (sorry to those who hate that word) power management. The PPC 970 implements many power saving strategies. (I read that on IBM's site.) such feature is only useful if you can implement it and HyperTransport provides that opportunity. Perhaps a look at some senarios might be illuminating.

Here I am, sitting at my desk which is a firm flat surface by a draughty doorway. My PowerBook G5 (yeah baby ) is running flat out driving my 20" LCD (which at least is something I actually do have). I know that the case is running hottish underneath but I don't care because the computer is well within spec. I am feeling a bit tired but can't let go of the new acquisition, so I take it up to bed. (Yes I am married - 22 years, four kids so don't worry, if she were going to divorce me I think I've already provided plenty of excuses!) I sit up in bed with the thing (sorry - masterpiece) on my lap. Now I know it runs warm but I still don't care because I know that the computer will handle it. Sure enough, up comes the expected message.

Dear IQatEdo, I am adjusting operating parameters to maintain proper operation as cooling efficiency has been reduced reduced. Please note that the following adjustments have been implemented.

? Processor clock speed has been reduced 10%.

? Display colour depth has been reduced to thousands, allowing one bank of video RAM to be turned off.

? Bus speed has been lowered 10%.

? One bank of main memory has been reallocated to standby mode.

? Display intensity has been reduced 10%.

? Keyboard illumination is unaltered as I know you get really cranky if you cannot see the keys.

Please note that these changes will also prolong battery operation by half an hour.

I think the upshot of all this is that as long as power consumption is acceptable under ideal conditions, a combination of smart programming, comprehensive processor power management and a system of interconnects - HyperTransport - that allows power managment to be implemented comprehensively will manage those less than ideal circumstances.

Finally, HyperTransport is meant to be a simplifying technology in the design process and seeing how clever Apple's engineers are, I feel that they have quickly taken advantage of it. There should be reduced board real estate resulting from its adoption also.

All the best!
  • Reply 119 of 122
    kinglkingl Posts: 2member
    Product matrix be damned, isn't it possible for Apple to create a third, super-high-end G5 Powerbook? This allows for both the 970 in a portable format and the gradual transition of the iBooks and Powerbooks to G4s and 970 respectively.
  • Reply 120 of 122
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kingl

Product matrix be damned, isn't it possible for Apple to create a third, super-high-end G5 Powerbook? This allows for both the 970 in a portable format and the gradual transition of the iBooks and Powerbooks to G4s and 970 respectively.

Yes, its a DP 970 PowerBook 17". The size allows for effective cooling for this unit - its just unlikely to reach speeds of its desktop counterpart however, but destroys anything on the wintel side.

But the reality is this product is indeed required for busy video and creative professionals on the go, I think this is a green light for this product, Im just not quite sure what speed it will debut at, my guess is a DP 1.2 or 1.4 (max), until the 970 process is updated later 2003 or early 2004.