New PPC 970 Laptops

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    Hi,

I think the puzzle doesn't quite fit together.

Apple released the 12' and 17' pbs based on an completely new motherboard design with an aging processor. Why basically trow away the design 5 month later because you need to redesign it around a groundbreaking new processor?

Why not update the hotseller (15') along with the 12' and 17'?

I see a couple of scenarios for that to happen.

1. - Apple wants to keep around the 15' for the OS 9 crowd.

- Apple plans for the next revision of the 15' PowerBook to include all the features of the 12' and 17' plus an advanced G4.

- The 12' and 17' get a GPU bump and the drop in 7447.

Thus the design cost is leveraged.

2. - Apple wants to keep around the 15' for the OS 9 crowd

- IBM advances in the development of the 970 faster than anticipated. Power consumption and energy management features are sufficient for the pbs. Apple is really surprised and axes development on pbs based around the 7447 and starts developing a 970 based mb for pbs.

Given the strong indications that a new build train based on 10.2 for the 970 is in the works scenario 2 seems a lot more likely. The only real question is: "Can Apple come up with a pb motherboard that quickly?"

I tend to be affirmative because the pm seems to be ready.

I guess they learnt a lot in the design of that mb that progress on the pb mb can be achieved quickly.

Thus I think we will see 970 based pbs quickly. Of course the 15' will come first (as it is the perfect middle, with the broadest market appeal), but Apple can't afford to lose sales on the others. So shortly thereafter we will see the 12' and 17' updated to the 970.

In my opinion every G3/G4 product is doa once the 970 hits the scene.

If Apple is *really* after marketshare they will update the pm, pb, xserve and imac to the 970 and the rest to G3 + fast processor bus (Rapid IO, Hypertransport) + SMID or as well to the 970.

An oldstyle G4/G3 product will look insanely dumb next to a dual proc dual core 980 on a really fast bus in Q1/2004.

It would also financially make sense. I'm sure the 970 will be cheap. There are no yield problems, the processor comes in early. Using hypertransport allows for a common motherboard core design among every product thus decreasing cost.

I see hypertransport analogous to oop. You can mix and match components as long as they use the same protocols. This allows for enough product differentiation.

I hope Apple goes to a more products based differentiation than to a spects based.

OT:

Now that IE is no longer on the mac backed by an uncredible argument, Apple needs to act.

1. They strike a new deal with M$.

2. They bring Safari to Windows and start developing an alternative to M$ Office

bye
  • Reply 62 of 122
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I think something in the product line right now points to revised PowerBooks at WWDC or sometime very soon--->the 900 MHz G3 iBooks. Yes, AltiVec in the G4 enables it to run generally faster than an equivalent G3, but the fact that something in the consumer product line eclipses the clock speed of two products (12/15-inch PBs) in the professional line is funny. Sure, it's only 33 MHz, but come---onnn!

I would love to believe we'd see low-power 1.2 GHz 970s ANNOUNCED at WWDC. Then that'd give Apple a chance to clear out G4 procs in the form of discounted PowerBooks, then eventually let either the Motorola 7457 or IBM AltiVec-enhanced G3 take over in the iBook line.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Hey, I'd buy the 12" PowerBook TOMORROW (G4 included) IF it had DVI, L3 cache, more than 640MB max RAM and other PowerBook-esque features (FireWire 800 and lit keyboard are sweet icing on the cake). Doesn't HAVE to be a 970, but I just want to know SOMETHING so I can attempt to plan/save halfway smart!

I fear that the 12 inch powerbook will never have a L3 cache. But it's possible to see a 7457 in it with 512 KB of on die L2 cache. Larger L2 cache should improve deeply a G4 without L3 cache.

A one ghz 7457 will be fine, and will not cost more than the current chip in it.

I doubt that he has DVI, for marketing and price reasons.

The Ram should be extended to more than 640 MB when the market will offer 1 GB RAM for this machine (and i am sure it will arrive in the next months)

The problem of Firewire 800, is that he did not replace the firewire 400. It took two connectors, it may be a problem of numbers of connector, more than a problem of prize.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Where is all this talk about G3+SIMD coming from? Yes, I know about the IBM roadmap, but people talk as if they're rolling out of Fishkill right now.

As far as I can tell, we won't be seeing major changes to either the IBM G3 or the Mot G4 for a good while yet. Evolutionary improvements like the '57, sure, but nothing dramatic. Unless I missed something?
  • Reply 65 of 122
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Where is all this talk about G3+SIMD coming from? Yes, I know about the IBM roadmap, but people talk as if they're rolling out of Fishkill right now.

As far as I can tell, we won't be seeing major changes to either the IBM G3 or the Mot G4 for a good while yet. Evolutionary improvements like the '57, sure, but nothing dramatic. Unless I missed something?

mostly wishful thinking i guess...we see more and more programs coming out that state G4 minimum...the G3 is now what 5, maybe 6 years old and basically unchanged except speed...

i, personally, am wanting to get an iBook for my daughter, but i have a hard time getting a G3 machine...sure the kids still use an iMac DV and it does most things they do quite well, but to buy a brand new machine and worry about it not doing any better than the 4 year old iMac in their room is hard to justify...so i'm hoping for gobi with altivec by summers end...luckily i don't have to buy a portable for her, i just want to buy...

so apple, please help me spend money i could just keep in the bank...apple you can help improve the economy if you would go 970 in PM and PB quickly while going G4 or gobi/mojave in the iBook....give the iMac the 1.4 G4 chips till the 970 is ramped up and then move the iMac to 970 too and suddenly all is good at apple again (at least for a month or two)...

g
  • Reply 66 of 122
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Jobs was serious when he said it's the year of the laptops.

I think a 970 based 15 inch PowerBook is a given at WWDC.

Yes, it's a given at WWDC (or thereabouts) but next year, not this year.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

While I think you're almost certainly right about this, it still makes for a rather meek "Year of the PowerBook", especially comparing to what's available on the Wintel side.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philby

While I think you're almost certainly right about this, it still makes for a rather meek "Year of the PowerBook", especially comparing to what's available on the Wintel side.

I don't agree. I've shopped for Wintel laptops, then they fall into two categories: tiny and underpowered or huge, heavy, powerful, but with dismal battery life. The mix of features you get from Apple's PowerBooks is really quite excellent, especially considering the form factor, weight, and battery life.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Okay moki...

I think a 970 based Powermac is a given at WWDC.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    Quote:

I don't agree. I've shopped for Wintel laptops, then they fall into two categories: tiny and underpowered or huge, heavy, powerful, but with dismal battery life. The mix of features you get from Apple's PowerBooks is really quite excellent, especially considering the form factor, weight, and battery life.

Well, I still love my TiBook 800 (even though it's stopped having any analog sound output a few months ago, and it's crashed several times today from overheating (I guess) while playing Dungeon Siege). But: some of those Pentium M boxes do look quite nice, at least on paper, and I don't even want to know how Dreamweaver MX would run on a 1.6GHz XP Pentium M notebook -- the equivalent of 2.6+ GHz P4-M I read.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Well if you missed something, then I must have missed it too.

Mohave is on IBM's roadmap, but doesn't yet exist. The 7457 is on Motorola's roadmap, but near as I have seen doesn't exist yet either, at least not in a usable form.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

I don't agree. I've shopped for Wintel laptops, then they fall into two categories: tiny and underpowered or huge, heavy, powerful, but with dismal battery life.

I haven't looked into this personally at all (since I have no intention of buying a Wintel laptop), but does anyone think that the "Centrino" processor makes much of a difference in the situation?
  • Reply 73 of 122
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    My personal take on the laptop issue goes like this:

Apple has know about the 970 for a long time, and has been working on all of the infrastructure required to support it. This includes hardware ( motherboards, chipsets, cases ) and software ( Panther ).

Apple anticipated the release of the 970 in saleable volumes from IBM around August-September ( launch timeframe of Panther ).

They saw some time ago that laptops were the strength in the product line, and decided to expand their offerings to grab more sales ( professionals might upgrade to laptop, even if they didnt want a new powermac ). In this process they had two product lines in development, the G4 machines, and the 970 machines. When they launched the 12" and the 17", they held onto the old Ti for two reasons, they still had a lot in the channel, and they wanted support for OS 9 until Quark XPress was released.

I predict that the 970 machines are designed around the same case as the G4 machines ( at least for the new 15" and the 17", not sure if the 12" will get 970'ed ).

When Apple release the 15" 970, it will not eclipse the 17", because it will go to 970 as well. I believe that they will use the same main board. It will literally be a drop in replacement for the 17".

For those of you who say that the 17 hasnt been out long enough for an upgrade, I say that Apple has had their hands tied for years by Moto, and given the chance to speed up, they arent going to blow by making sure they get a good return on their investment in the 17 and 15 G4 hardware design. They have been gifted with an opportunity to launch the 970 at least a quarter early, in time for back to school purchases. They are going to grab with both hands, by launching as much product as is ready.

That means PowerMacs and PowerBooks.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Paraphrasing Wooderson: "it'd be a lot cooler if you were right".

Here's hoping. Yeah, after years of Motorola seeping out piss-ant 100MHz once or so a year, I hope Apple realizes they don't have to follow that particular upgrade model any longer.

• Reply 75 of 122
    foamyfoamy Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Perhaps a die-shrink is in order before we'll see it in PBs?
  • Reply 76 of 122
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    quote:

Quote:

I haven't looked into this personally at all (since I have no intention of buying a Wintel laptop), but does anyone think that the "Centrino" processor makes much of a difference in the situation?

The Centrino processor does make a difference for now. However, I see it more as a way for Intel to compete with AMD rather than IBM and the PowerPC.

Thus far, Intel is easily winning the battle with AMD. The Centrino in laptops will keep PCs on 32 bit operating systems for a very long time, making it difficult for AMD to promote the benefits of its Opteron/Athlon64 chips.

AMD is especially in a bad position as Intel will the Centrino processor to club any manufacturer who attempts to use the Opteron/Athlon64.

Manufacturers like Dell would be at a serious disadvantage in the laptop market if they manufacture Athlon based hardware and lose Intel's preferred pricing.

For now, the Centrino chip is a potent competitor to G3 and G4 based laptops. However, Intel will have no answer to the mobile PPC 970.

A 970 powered laptop is coming, it is just a matter of when.

This is just speculation on my part, but it would seem technically possible for Apple to introduce a new line of 970 powered laptops with the desktop machines. However, I'm sure they don't want to revisit the 500 MHz G4 debacle with the original PowerMacs.

I am fairly certain that IBM wants all of Apple's chip business and would like to see the entire line of Macintosh computers on the 970 chip. As aggressive as IBM has been, it would seem that Apple would be migrating the entire line over to the 970 in fairly short order. Unless, of course, Motorola can give Apple a fairly compelling reason to continue using the G4.

I am not sure that there will be much of a compelling reason. Just as the G3 made the 604 obsolete, the 970 will do the same to the G4. And it is not like Apple hasn't had their entire product offerings based on a single line of chips before. As I recall, the original iMacs, the PowerBooks, and the PowerMacs were all based on the G3 at one time.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    the centrino is nothing... its marketing trying to sell things by saying its something new, when its really just a few old things bundled together.

Its not doing as well as intel had hoped
  • Reply 78 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

For those of you who say that the 17 hasnt been out long enough for an upgrade, I say that Apple has had their hands tied for years by Moto, and given the chance to speed up, they arent going to blow by making sure they get a good return on their investment in the 17 and 15 G4 hardware design. They have been gifted with an opportunity to launch the 970 at least a quarter early, in time for back to school purchases. They are going to grab with both hands, by launching as much product as is ready.

That means PowerMacs and PowerBooks.

I agree with this aggressive view, but with a twist. The 12", 15" and 17" will all be upgraded to 970s at the same time in September (actually right after the back to school buying season, I'll explain in a minute.)

Here's my reasoning:

The 1.2 GHz 970 draws 19 Watts, less than the current G4.

An "underclocked" 1.0 970 can be put in the 12" to make it "low end".

So, Apple could go all 970 in the Powerbook line this month along with the Power Macs, but they won't. Why?

Every Mac user with a vowel in his name is waiting for a G5 chip. Most of them will buy one no matter what kind of box it comes in. If the only way to get a 970 processor is by buying a Power Mac, then that's what he'll do, even if he's not traditionally a Power Mac customer.

Wait three months to let the G5 tower feeding frenzy die down (a little), continue to sell the current Powerbook line through the back to school season (with some further price cuts and/or rebate deals if necessary), and then and only then, release all new, all G5 laptops with Panther pre-installed.

Yes, that means the current TiBook will be almost a year old and the Albooks nine months old when the update appears, but Apple's going to be so busy raking in dough selling new Power Macs all summer that it won't matter much.

All 970, all at once in September is an excellent Powerbook plan that protects initial G5 Power Mac sales while still making this the "year of the laptop."
  • Reply 79 of 122
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I can live with that! Gives me 3 extra months to save

I'd actually prefer that scenario because, if announced and shipping next week, I'm still going to be a bit short on what it would take to get one.

Although, if they came out next week, I can spend 3 months letting everyone else be guinea pigs and keeping my ears and eyes open regarding any "issues" in these new PowerBooks.

• Reply 80 of 122
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

the centrino is nothing... its marketing trying to sell things by saying its something new, when its really just a few old things bundled together.

Really?

Good to hear, 'cause thats not at all what I've been reading lately, which is that the Pentium M and its chipset have been heavily optimized for mobile use by its Israeli developers (not Intel), and that it runs XP at the approx. double the speed compared MHz by MHz to a P4-M. The rest of Centrino is more or less just marketing, I agree.

However, memory throughput certainly is a lot better on these boxes (marketing or no marketing) than anything Motorola has to offer so far: the reason I won't buy another G4-based PB and will wait however long it takes for a 970 to appear in a PB.

I just hope Moki is wrong for once