The Official Macworld San Francisco Thread

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by James B:

<strong>I do agree with PowerPC that Rendevous will be discussed, Apple and other vendors.

Phillips might even show a stereo using rendevous and playing songs from an iTunes playlist. Now that would be good!</strong><hr></blockquote>That's a good point - didn't Steve at MWNY say something about iTunes having rendezvous by the time MWSF 2003 rolled around. He demoed playing Schiller's playlist (isn't that a movie?) from Steve's computer, and said it would come 6 months down the road.
  • Reply 62 of 186
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    My one prediction besides more software, is faster iMacs with 17-inch displays. There will also be a 19-inch model. Prices will range from $2000-$1500 and faster eMacs will populate the low-end.
  • Reply 63 of 186
    I think video conferencing in iChat. And bluetooth mice and keyboards. And 19 inch iMac. And release some none Apple software like Quark. That along with whatever iApps is enough to fill up a keynote.
  • Reply 64 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>That's a good point - didn't Steve at MWNY say something about iTunes having rendezvous by the time MWSF 2003 rolled around. He demoed playing Schiller's playlist (isn't that a movie?) from Steve's computer, and said it would come 6 months down the road.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Word for word:

... And this is something where we're going take Rendezvous and build this into iTunes probably early next year... And this is the kind of thing that's coming, you know, six months down the road... nine months down the road in iTunes...

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 65 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Well one thing has just been all but CONFIRMED...

MWSF will be hardware and iApp related. Why else would would Phil Schiller have to do a "2nd day keynote" on OS X?

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/07.expo.php"; target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/07.expo.php</a>;

Dave
  • Reply 66 of 186
    C'mon, guys! What's with the 19" predictions? The arm was designed for an 18", tops, with 17" being "safest." Ditto on the processors; there's no reason for three speeds. Also ditto on 1GB RAM; when has any Mac shipped standard with 1GB? I know we can be optimistic, but wow!

My predictions:

- Farewell to Mac OS 9.

- iPod sales @ new retailer recap.

- Xserve may be a stealth update.

- AppleWorks 7 (WP, SS, DB, PR) standard on consumer systems.

- iSync release & demo.

- .Mac recap & new features.

- iTunes 3.1 update to include Rendezvous.

- eMac price drops (to $899 & 1199).

- iMac...

Entry Level - 15" - $999

800/867(?)MHz G4

128MB SDRAM

60GB Hard Disk

Combo Drive

GeForce4MX 32MB DDR

Pro Speakers (now std. on all models)

Mid Range - 17" - $1399

800/867(?)MHz G4

256MB SDRAM

80GB Hard Disk

SuperDrive

GeForce4Ti 64MB DDR / Radeon 9000 64MB DDR

High End - 17" - $1599

933/1GHz(?) G4

256MB SDRAM

100GB Hard Disk

SuperDrive

GeForce4Ti 64MB DDR / Radeon 9000 64MB DDR

I think this is close to what we are going to see, not so much what we want to see. Comments?

- Johnny Dangerously
  • Reply 67 of 186
    Adding a 19" display to the iMac I think would take it out of reach for most consumer, and for a consumer machine this would be a big mistake. I really don't think Apple would take this road.

I do think that because of the success of the 17" model they will drop the other 15" model (or at least the midrange - as mentioned by Johnny Dangerously).

I do hope that Firewire 2 is introduced and bluetooth peripherals.
  • Reply 68 of 186
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Do you know for a fact that the arm was engineered for an 18" LCD, max? Or are you guessing?

The 15" iMac is no longer in production after sales plunged. More 17" iMacs were sold than 15" iMacs last quarter, if I'm remembering right, and considering the premium on the 17"'s that's something.

LCD prices are declining 40% by some estimates, and 17" displays in particular are quite reasonable now. On the other hand, the current 17" iMac has proven that a nearly $2000 iMac can be a strong seller.

Based on all of this, I see the 15" vanishing, the 17" moving down to take over the lower price points, and Apple maintaining the current high-end iMacs (with real profit margins!) with a possible larger screen, since that's what differentiates the high end now.

Also, since the iMac has gone so long with only a piddling refresh, there's a very good chance that Apple is reengineering it, which means that it doesn't matter what the current arm can hold up - there might be a bigger one in testing right now.

The recent feature bump/price cut combos rolled out for to the iBook and PowerBook give me hope that Apple will introduce an aggressive iMac and eMac line as well.

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 69 of 186
    still me must remember that it was said in january there would no booting in 9...

so here it is...

imac... bump and new motherboard

powermac... i think new mb design... they suprised us with the powerbooks... hopefully again

ipod... dunno just more stuff that work with it

new appliance.... yes

anyways when you see a bunch of ibm engineers on a train in germany with powerboooks you know somethings going on... what? they really would not say.

cheers,

m2
  • Reply 70 of 186
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If Apple is re-engineering the iMac, lets hope they do a few things right (that they somehow brainfarted on.)

Realistic:

Move both RAM slots to the bottom of the case and use regular dimms!

If need be, move the airport card behind the optical drive door, like the eMac.

Unrealistic:

Make it more cube like inside. One small daughtercard sitting upright against the steel dome (cooled via heat piping, and on the other side one small size AGP port (cpu and gpu then on either side of the centrally mounted drives). Thusly, I may replace both the CPU and Video when the time comes. I don't doubt that Apple could do it, even in the 10.5" base. The dome is a very clever cooling solution that passes air between the plastic case and the outside of the inner steel dome with the help of the little fan at the top it becomes one giant heat sink. Apple could do it, but I know they won't because Steve has decided that I should have to buy an entirely new machine just to make the most minimal upgrade. A$$hole.

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 71 of 186
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    One more thing noone is talking about: The nVidia NV30 will be shipping by Dezember and in quantity by Jan-/February.

MWSF would be the perfect time for a "DOOM-3-first-on-the-Mac"-presentation.

This new nVidia chip seems to be of interest even for the high-end film renderer: it can render 100 (!) Jurassic Park dinosours or the computer animated Final Fantasy film at 24 fps in real-time.

This thing will require massive cooling.

I sure hope Apple gives its customer machines decent GPUs: Radeon 9000 pro on the low and 9700 on the high end. I think this is realistic since the new iBooks just got pretty decent chips, too.
  • Reply 72 of 186
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    I really think that _if_ the iMac get an update Apple better sticks a Mobile Radeon 9000 into it and not that GeForce4 MX crap.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    MWSF prediction(wishlist)

PowerMacs will move to IBM's next revision of the PowerPC 32 bit cpu. It will be:

all dual procesors @1.0, 1.25, 1.5 GHz

cpu's will be dual core

VMX SIMID compatible w/ Altivec instructions

Rapid I/O

n-way crossbar core connects

100MHz bus Quad pumped to effective 400MHz.

iMacs, eMacs use the

G4 MPC 7457 (0.13µ process)

933MHz, 1.0GHz and 1.25GHz

133MHz system bus

DDR to controller only(uses less power, right)

ps. after MWSF I go into a corner and pout over not seeing any of this
  • Reply 74 of 186
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    [quote]curiousuburb

shake workstation based on 970 to be released after mwsf, maybe for siggraph or nab expo

to catch the audio/video professionals

comments?<hr></blockquote>

Uh, Siggraph is usually around July/August...

NAB is a mid-year event also, IIRC...

Kinda moves the timeframe WAY away from MWSF, now doesn't it...?!?

;^p
  • Reply 75 of 186
    NAB is in April, and spymac says new iMacs in January with a slot drive.

<a href="http://www.spymac.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.spymac.com/</a>;

FWIW...
  • Reply 76 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by scottiB:

<strong>spymac says new iMacs in January with a slot drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>That's a good point. Now that slot-load superdrives are out, they can put that in the iMac.
  • Reply 77 of 186
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    NOOOOOOO

They should get/have gotten rid of it in the TiBook, not spread this abomination around!

ARGH!
  • Reply 78 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>NOOOOOOO

They should get/have gotten rid of it in the TiBook, not spread this abomination around!

ARGH!</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's wrong with it? Is it just that you can't fit different-sized or -shaped discs in it? I've never even seen one of those discs, so that's not an issue to me. They're not slower, that I'm aware.
  • Reply 79 of 186
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>

What's wrong with it? Is it just that you can't fit different-sized or -shaped discs in it? I've never even seen one of those discs, so that's not an issue to me. They're not slower, that I'm aware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually we use quite a few of those 8cm disks. Our vendors love to use them for product info.
  • Reply 80 of 186
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>NOOOOOOO

ARGH!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Take a deep breath! Not everything that Apple does is wrong!

I'm not sure what you think a Macintosh is. From the $399 thread and this one, it sounds like you just want a PC. A Macintosh can be different than a PC! I prefer slot loading and no floppy.

Why don't you just tell us your favorite PC configuration, then buy one, and leave the Macintosh alone? You're constant harping is becoming noise. "Oh, another Matsu complaining post. I'll just pass on by..."