Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 501 of 1071
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

A giveaway that the G5 CPU pics posted here is phoney is that the displays are the same as they are now. There are reports of brand-new designs for the displays. Nice try.

Don't even give Big Willy or whatever his name is the time by even thinking about their authenticity.

He didn't even do them himself, just ripped them from another site.
  • Reply 502 of 1071
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    A pic of a mutilated webmaster's corpse...
  • Reply 503 of 1071
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    this is without a doubt the most exciting thing i've ever read. My favorite part is that if these babies are priced right, people will be paving their driveways with MDD G4s.

hahahahahaha. I knew it was time for an upgrade! my QS 867 has been feeling slow these last few weeks!!!
  • Reply 504 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

this is without a doubt the most exciting thing i've ever read. My favorite part is that if these babies are priced right, people will be paving their driveways with MDD G4s.

hahahahahaha. I knew it was time for an upgrade! my QS 867 has been feeling slow these last few weeks!!!

I sold my MDD 867 DP and 17" Apple Display, old iPod 20gb for £1800/$2500 that was gonna go towards buying me a new 17" laptop but I think it might get blown on one of these new babies.
  • Reply 505 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by slice

They litigated against the original WorkerBee....

Although was he an actual employee? I'm thinking

he may just have been a sub-contractor.

Nonetheless, employees have contracts too.. and this would certainly be breach of contract.

Actually they only litigated against workerbee to find out who he was(origianlly it was against jon does 1-9 or something. once they found out who he was, he was basically warned(he had been a temp that worked for apple). not to do it again(and can never work for apple again). I dont think they would go after someone for $ damages, because, quit frankly, the guy wouldnt have it to give em. (where-as some companies still would do it anyways).
  • Reply 506 of 1071
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    If this leak is true, my powerbook 667 DVI is going to feel really dated after only a year.

But I really want to send a letter to this idiot on Monday to ask him how he feels about his new PC.

http://homepage.mac.com/dtournemille...ac_switch.html
  • Reply 507 of 1071
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Best leak....ever.
  • Reply 508 of 1071
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Already sent him an email
  • Reply 509 of 1071
    quote:

----------------------------------

Originally posted by RedEric

Where in Wales you from pioneer01???

----------------------------------

Sunny Cardiff mate

Sorry Guys Back on topic
  • Reply 510 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by viking

If this leak is true, my powerbook 667 DVI is going to feel really dated after only a year.

But I really want to send a letter to this idiot on Monday to ask him how he feels about his new PC.

DON'T EMAIL HIM...LET THE LOSER THAT LOST FAITH PISS OFF TO DELL AND REGRET IT.
  • Reply 511 of 1071
    I think it is a fake. I would bet that Steve deliberately gave some people false information in an attempt to ferret out leaks. It has been done before, so I could easily see it being done again. Another thing that I question is the 2 Ghz speed. From what I recall, none of the rumors or any of the info released by IBM has indicated that large quantities of 2 Ghz 970s are available. I also question the fonts used as they were different than those used in the other image.

It would be great if it were true and I hope to be proven wrong next week, but I think it is a fake.

--Mark
  • Reply 512 of 1071
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, I'm glad I cleared my desk this week. Just sold my computer, and I'm all primed and ready to lay down some cash.

It's going to be a looooong weekend.

• Reply 513 of 1071
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Happy days are here again

The skies above are clear again

So let's sing a song of cheer again

Happy days are here again...

Here's to all of us loyal Mac users around the world! Cheers!
  • Reply 514 of 1071
    contemptcontempt Posts: 43member
    Wow, I just woke up to this!!! And to think I had no reason to wake up in the first place.

Top Technology story on My Yahoo, News.com and MacCentral.

It's gotta be all true!!! Can't wait to see the new enclosures.
  • Reply 515 of 1071
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

[/B]

YES it will be!!!!

my current thought is ::: how will apple respond to this today?
  • Reply 516 of 1071
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Apple has just closed all threads in their Power Mac forum discussing the G5 leak! Trying to reload a discussion page gave the standard message:

You do not have access to "Posts Removed by Moderators"

Sometimes users posts are removed by the discussion moderators for various reasons. These reasons may include the following:

The Apple Support Discussions area is intended to address technical issues. Discussions of Apple policies and procedures, speculations about future Apple decisions, questions about unreleased products, and issues with repair procedures are not appropriate. Posts that are not directly related to a technical support issue, are only complaints, or contain abusive language are not appropriate. Posts which are not appropriate will be removed from the discussion board.

Posts containing take-apart questions not covered in the product's User's Manual will not be addressed by Apple due to safety and legal concerns.
  • Reply 517 of 1071
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Let me say at the outset that I find the typographical analyses of the styling of the leaked specs quite convincing. Let's say that it's 95% likely that these details are accurate.

Now let's explore the remaining 5% probability: as we Mac users know, that 5% of a domain (<bleedin' obvious> e.g. marketshare</>) may be really important....

1. If it's a hostile hack by someone intending to damage Apple, then it is either a really really good hacker or a seriously disgruntled employee with a deathwish. But contrary to other opinions in this thread, there is every reason in this scenario for the specs to be just a little optimistic. Imagine the headlines:

Jobs WWDC Address Disappoints

But this is surely the least likely scenario: let's give it about 0.5% probability.

2. That leaves the remaining 4.5% for a deliberate leak. We can break this prospect down into two other possibilities:

a. The specs are accurate, and were leaked to whip up interest in the WWDC address.

b. The specs are conservative, and were leaked to whip up interest in the WWDC address, yet still provide for a few pleasant shocks.

We can rule out a deliberate leak of exaggerated specs: this would do Apple no good, and would almost certainly invite a lawsuit.

Option b is the intriguing one, is it not? What if the top of the line box is somewhat faster still, perhaps 2.5GHz as some rumours have suggested? You can easily imagine Steve smirking as he remarks: "Well, as many of you would know, there was a small mistake in our Apple Store the other night...."

(Don't get too excited by this speculation, please! Refer to the above probabilities!!)

Oh, and just one more thing, to coin a phrase. Nothing in this leak makes me think that I need to "hit the weights room" as Moki put it. So even if Option b is still just a fantasy, we have reason to think that there's still a few surprises in store (no pun intended).
  • Reply 518 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Well, I'm glad I cleared my desk this week. Just sold my computer, and I'm all primed and ready to lay down some cash.

It's going to be longer than that if you want one of the high-end machines. You'll have to dust that empty spot on your desk a few times.
  • Reply 519 of 1071
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue master

I think it is a fake. I would bet that Steve deliberately gave some people false information in an attempt to ferret out leaks. It has been done before, so I could easily see it being done again. Another thing that I question is the 2 Ghz speed. From what I recall, none of the rumors or any of the info released by IBM has indicated that large quantities of 2 Ghz 970s are available. I also question the fonts used as they were different than those used in the other image.

It would be great if it were true and I hope to be proven wrong next week, but I think it is a fake.

--Mark

If it was an attempt to ferret out leaks I don't believe the posted specs would have exceeded the reality. Caught a leaker and let down the entire Mac community at the keynote. No. The specs would have been less than the actual. So, I don't think this is a plausible explanation. The 2GHz speed could easily be explained by an intro with a 6-8 week release delay. Standard business practice for Apple. The fonts look awfully close to me but I'm not a designer...

It may actually be a fake, I'm not swayed either way.
  • Reply 520 of 1071
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by viking

What a dork. He doesn't have the first clue about system architecture and what the MHz myth is really all about. He just perpetuates the myth. Adios idjit - don't let the Dell swingdoors hit your ass on your way out!

Now to figure out where to scrape together the cash for one o' them nufangled G5s. Hmmmmm, wonder if the bank on the corner has a lot of cash in the till on a Friday afternoon...... <loads up shotgun>