Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 441 of 1071
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    You know what's strange... that of all the updates that Apple probably has planned for their site after monday, that one would end up accidentally being revealed. Seems kind of bizarre. What are the odds of anyone even going to that page and reading that blurb. If the type had been as small as the G4 type it definately wouldn't have been discovered. I still think this was a planned leak to generate more anticipation before the reveal on monday. This might just be the tip of the iceburg, the iceburg being all the other things that will be revealed monday.
  • Reply 442 of 1071
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSegway

You know what's strange... that of all the updates that Apple probably has planned for their site after monday, that one would end up accidentally being revealed. Seems kind of bizarre. What are the odds of anyone even going to that page and reading that blurb. If the type had been as small as the G4 type it definately wouldn't have been discovered. I still think this was a planned leak to generate more anticipation before the reveal on monday. This might just be the tip of the iceburg, the iceburg being all the other things that will be revealed monday.

the more i think about it i think you could be right
  • Reply 443 of 1071
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Heh.

Just called the AppleStore Netherlands and asked for prices on the new G5.

Rep: Which G5?

Me: The new G5 listed with specs and all on the AppleStore page.

Rep: There's no G5 on there

Me: Yes there is.

Rep: no

Me: Well, there was.

Me: Yeah, I saw it.

Rep: I have the page in front of me now. There's no mention of a G5.

Me: But there was

Me: You want me to read you the specs as they were listed?

Rep: no, I already know them.

Damage contol alright.
  • Reply 444 of 1071
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
  • Reply 445 of 1071
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

Heh.

Damage contol alright.

A major OOPS there.
  • Reply 446 of 1071
  • Reply 447 of 1071
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Someone messed up!

2^32 = 4294967296 (4Gb addressable memory)

2^64 = 1.844674407370955e+19 (A stupidly large amount of addressable ram, not 8Gb)

Someone that does not know their binary math, just doubled the 4Gb limit. Although, I suppose 8Gb would be a practical limit due to the current memory prices/motherboard design.
  • Reply 448 of 1071
    johanjohan Posts: 6member
    holy crap!

what a pleasant thing to wake up to!

/me goes to pick up his jaw...
  • Reply 449 of 1071
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

Heh.

Just called the AppleStore Netherlands and asked for prices on the new G5.

Damage contol alright.

great!!!
  • Reply 450 of 1071
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Someone messed up!

2^64 = 1.844674407370955e+19 (A stupidly large amount of addressable ram, not 8Gb)

Someone that does not know their binary math, just doubled the 4Gb limit. Although, I suppose 8Gb would be a practical limit due to the current memory prices/motherboard design.

I believe that 1.6 will have 800mhz bus and 4gb memory max.

1.8 will have 900mhz bus and 4gb memory max.

2x 2.0 will have 1ghz bus and 8gb memory max.
  • Reply 451 of 1071
    It is a real shame that no one called the Apple store while the G5 info was still up. I wonder what the hell they would have said then? lmao!
  • Reply 452 of 1071
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    i want one of those tees

*orders now*
  • Reply 453 of 1071
    This would indeed mean a HUGE comeback for the Power Macs. I really hope it is true! However, I fear the worst (a "hack" from inside, made by some disgruntled employee who wants to harm Apple), if this does NOT come true, it will be an absolute disaster! A PR nightmare and AAPL shares will fall to new lows

I can't wait till monday....pheew, this is exciting (and scary) stuff...
  • Reply 454 of 1071
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Someone messed up!

64 Bit machines have a theoretical address space of 16 Exabyte. Thats around 16.000 Terabyte or 16 mio Gigabyte.

But I know of no 64 Bit chip that really has pins for all those 64 address lines. Usually, they are limited to somewhat more reasonable 8-64GB (of course, this could also be a limitation of the address decoder on the mainboard).

Whats more, it is currently (with DDR) not possible to drive that many chips, its my understanding that the inductive loads are too high and would slow down the system considerably.

I fully expect the single-cpu to have 4 DDR-slots for a total of 4GB and the dual to have 2x4 for a total of 8GB.
  • Reply 455 of 1071
    williwilli Posts: 3member
    check out these pictures:

http://www.sejus.com/earth2willi/for...opic.php?t=262

download some music or something while you are there!
  • Reply 456 of 1071
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    FINALLY!
  • Reply 457 of 1071
    While it's always more plausible to see a design which is very similar to existing designs, it always makes me think 'hmmmm' if a design has absolutely nothing new on it.

It's like the vent holes on the MDD Macs, they were more likely to be real because we'd not seen them before, most people faking Apple product photography will use bits and pieces from existing products so it's dubious, this design looks like a distortion of the existing design with elements cloned away.

Anyway, we'll find out on Monday, I can't wait to see a bake off with the Dual 2Ghz G5 against ........ um...... anything!?
  • Reply 458 of 1071
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    that case is so obviously a fake .. IGNORE!
  • Reply 459 of 1071
    macmovieman did a test... he took the G4 pic and put it next to this supposed G5 pic and then darkend half of each and in the supposed G5 pic you could see the 4 vent holes in the reflection that the guy forgot to get rid of. When it was darkened it totally brought them out. lol

I think this was on macrumors, can't show you though, the discussion forum is down now. At least for me it is.

Edit: here it is, notice the reflection beneath the supposed G5 :P

macrumors thread where macmovieman debunked this bunky
  • Reply 460 of 1071
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Daaamn, I went to bed last night and Temporary Insanity was still a bit 'sane'. I wake up this morning and there's a 12 page thread about leaked specs. Now *that* is insane!!!

So this is pretty much ***cunfuuuurmed!!!*** eh? I don't think ThinkSecret or other sites would joke about this. I'm sure others have seen it in person too.

"In his infinite rage due to the leaked G5 product specs, Steve Jobs decides to scrap the whole G5 project altogether and release speed-bumped G4s."