Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 921 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Mind you my guess was pure speculation, and I in no way claim any sort of knowledge pertaining to it.

Which is my beef with most of the posts around here.

To review, folks: increases in clock speed generally come as a result of changes in one of two areas: the design, or the fabrication process. Now the 970 design is pretty much set - even if they had a better design (970+?) coming down the road, it would make sense to start fabbing the 970 as is and let the higher speeds come later. This leaves the fabrication process. In order to hit 2.5 GHz, IBM would have had to have made a 33% improvement in their fabrication process - and not told anybody. This doesn't seem reasonable; there are other customers using East Fishkill, IBM wants to tout any advantages of their fab, and they're still looking for customers.

While hitting 2.0GHz from initial estimates of 1.8GHz is reasonable, some unknown improvement that lets them hit 2.5GHz is not. That won't come until a die shrink.

Hope you enjoy your dinner. For the rest of you, if you want to avoid eating strange avian meat, I'd suggest asking a question or two instead of making baseless speculation. If you don't know anything about CPUs or semiconductors, ask if it'd be reasonable for IBM to hit 2.5GHz rather than put your culinary life on the line
  • Reply 922 of 1072
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    http://library.inspiredsites.net/sto...toryReader$408

it's not like a 2.5Ghz PPC 970 is unheard of.
  • Reply 923 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

http://library.inspiredsites.net/sto...toryReader$408

it's not like a 2.5Ghz PPC 970 is unheard of.

It was later clarified that the 2.5GHz number would come once they switched to a 0.09 micron process - see above regarding fabrication process improvements. Initial estimates at 0.13 micron were 1.4-1.8 GHz. This is the number that IBM has been quoting for some time now.

Next time I'd recommend a little research before posting. It tends to help your position seem a bit more knowledgable.
  • Reply 924 of 1072
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Any chance, any chance AT ALL, that the "leak" was orchestrated and signed off on by Steve and Apple themselves?

What if Monday is BETTER?!?

• Reply 925 of 1072
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Any chance, any chance AT ALL, that the "leak" was orchestrated and signed off on by Steve and Apple themselves?

<sigh>
  • Reply 926 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

It was later clarified that the 2.5GHz number would come once they switched to a 0.09 micron process - see above regarding fabrication process improvements. Initial estimates at 0.13 micron were 1.4-1.8 GHz. This is the number that IBM has been quoting for some time now.

Next time I'd recommend a little research before posting. It tends to help your position seem a bit more knowledgable.

I;m aware of the retraction that came later, and I never claimed my post to be gospel. I just made a wild guess. And I stated it was so, so the fact I don't have 7 volumes of research to back my statement is sort of redundant.
  • Reply 927 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

Systematic cardiac arrests of a large portion of the appleinsder community, resulting in lost revenue for the apple 3rd quarter due to the inability of said arrestees to order a 970 from their hosptial bed.
  • Reply 928 of 1072
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Gosh, I'm going to be the idiot Mac-crazy guy in my family again if they announce a PowerBook G5 anytime THIS year. I just bought this TiBook, and I promised myself it would last through undergrad.

But with the way digital photography is advancing, having a portable machine that could process huge film-quality files alongside a good dye-sub printer would pay for itself quickly. Imagine...going to events (like a graduation or wedding) and being able to offer attendees the chance to grab a few shots they especially liked before walking out the door. Talk about personalized instant "thank-yous!"

See, there I go, validating my position in buying a (nonexistent as of yet) computer!
  • Reply 929 of 1072
  • Reply 930 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

Just saw it on Ars.

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437

Ouch!

Looks like this was a real leak and not some PR stunt.

Sucks to be out of a job in this economy...

Blueflame
  • Reply 931 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

<sigh>

Oh, lighten the fück up. What are you sighing and rolling your eyes about?

Was it REALLY that bad?
  • Reply 932 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

Just saw it on Ars.

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437

Here's the text. Anybody think the leak was intentional now?

Title: Web Publishing Manager WW Apple Store

Req. ID: 1978437

Summary

Function supports the World Wide Store management team and the 2+Billion online business. The position manages day to day publishing requirements such as image updates, third party loads, pricing changes, new feature enhancements, application improvements and application testing. Position also supports product launch deadlines, managing graphic and business resources to achieve business objectives. The job includes the ability to manage resources, prepare appropriate documentation based on business requirements, delegate tasks to team members, effectively and clearly communicate project status and manage project risk. Project Manager will have direct reports and is responsible for coordinating with world wide counterparts.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities

The essential duties of this position include:

? Manage day to day publishing requirements as well as ongoing product launch activities

? Use management techniques to maximize team performance through effective motivation tools, counseling Motivation, team, optimizing performance, scheduling,

? Identifies and manages to major project milestones and communicates project status on a regular basis

? Conducts weekly project meetings with cataloging, graphics and store management teams

? Responsible for ensuring accountability to the resolution of key issues.

? Prioritize and delegate key project tasks to team members

? Meets with business owners to develop effective merchandising plans for stores

? Provides the customers with alternatives when key problems surface on the project

? Writing formal business requirements documents for projects/enhancements. works with management to prioritize development projects

? Act as a liaison between the business and technology to ensure business project needs are adequately met with technology solutions

Minimum Qualifications

? Proven ability to manage to deadlines

? Excellent communication, leadership and ecommerce skills

? Ability to maintain and develop relationships within the project team

? Ability to develop new strategies and options for new projects

? Understanding of the business processes as needed by the project

? Excellent organizational and documentation skills

?Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work in a dynamic and unpredictable work environment

Education and/or Experience

? BA/BS, MBA or MS degree preferred, 5-7 years business experience preferred

? Experience in electronic commerce sales environment required

? Experience managing direct reports and cross functional teams.

? Their work product is of the good to excellent quality and needs minimal review by their management.

? Ability to build and maintain business relationships and monitor customers perceptions of the deliverables

? Keeps up with market and industry trends, emerging technologies.
  • Reply 933 of 1072
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    I think Monday will bring a lot of wonderful things, not just new PowerMacs. Some of these will be immediate, some will come later. I just can't help feeling that Steve has some surprises.

I really suspect that the .gif was an accident. Whether or not it was accurate is another story. It may have been an employee's fantasy or disguntled (already on their way out the door) employee's revenge.

Less then 48 hours now. I can wait that long. The weekend will pass quickly, and by the time I get off work on Monday the truth will be made clear. By mid fall or sooner I will buy a new computer. It will be the best Macintosh that I can afford at the time, no matter what is available. I strongly suspect it will be running an IBM 970 CPU. No matter what it is, it will be a whole lot faster and more elegant then my current PPC 800 single. Life will be good.
  • Reply 934 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Oh, lighten the fück up. What are you sighing and rolling your eyes about?

Was it REALLY that bad?

No offense intended, I'm just really tired of all the conspiracy theories, even in jest. The leak was a simple (but HUGE) mistake. See the new job posting above.
  • Reply 935 of 1072
    skunkskunk Posts: 12member
    What's with all the question marks? Is this really the Apple site? EDIT: I've just checked the site and they're bullets in the original.
  • Reply 936 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by skunk

What's with all the question marks? Is this really the Apple site?

Go to the link. It's real.
  • Reply 937 of 1072
    Everyone is assuming this to be a new job listing, but does anyone know that as fact?
  • Reply 938 of 1072
    How, exactly, does someone make THAT big and obvious of a mistake? You can't just accidentally post something, without trying can you?

If you're smart and talented enough to get that sort of job in the first place, how is it that you can manage to do something this stupid and harmful (well, to Steve's dreams of a eye-popping keynote)?

If you had that .gif on your computer or whatever, it just doesn't automatically throw itself up on the server by itself does it?

Were they performing a test? Was it a surly, disgruntled type in a "I'll show them..." mood? Was it on purpose? Was it truly that much of a blunder? Honestly?

I don't know...I"m asking.

In any case, I see no dates or any sort of time reference on that job announcement. Are we certain it's new. I mean, no one - until Thursday night - would've gone to Apple specifically looking for it, you know?
  • Reply 939 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

You can't just accidentally post something, without trying can you?

yes you can. I'm not going to say it was a easy mistake but i know exactly how that could happen.
  • Reply 940 of 1072
    it's not all that uncommon.