New Panther Pics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 208
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

If you can turn on the metal look how come it isn't on the menu bar? If that's the way it is that's kind of stupid. Personally I welcome the metal look but it should be system wide.

Um... preferences box, maybe?

Z
  • Reply 42 of 208
    simxsimx Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

The mirrors are going down like flys! Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!

Lol, that's only because some stupid person wanted to post the pics on his .Mac webpage using Apple's ow.... oh, wait.

• Reply 43 of 208
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Finally, the Printer is back where it belongs! to System Prefrences!

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 44 of 208
    I've considered hosting these on AppleInsider's server, but we'll just get nailed with a C&D within the hour anyway.

I do have them saved just in case, though. I may post them here tomorrow once all the other mirrors are dead.
  • Reply 45 of 208
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

Finally, the Printer is back where it belongs! to System Prefrences!

What the f***? Since when has the printer EVER been in System Preferences?

Hell, it was never even in Control Panels!

Barto
  • Reply 46 of 208
    simxsimx Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I've considered hosting these on AppleInsider's server, but we'll just get nailed with a C&D within the hour anyway.

I do have them saved just in case, though. I may post them here tomorrow once all the other mirrors are dead.

You think? It's midnight over here in AST (Apple Standard Time), and I don't think there's going to be someone up 24 hours just to slap cease and desist letters on those people who post Panther screenshots.

Dunno, though.
  • Reply 47 of 208
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by simX

... I don't think there's going to be someone up 24 hours just to slap cease and desist letters on those people who post Panther screenshots. ...

I wouldn't be too sure, how long did the G5 specs last...? Give it almost twice that long, if that.
  • Reply 48 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by simX

You think? It's midnight over here in AST (Apple Standard Time)

It was about midnight "AST" when we got the C&D at AppleInsider. I suspect since last night, Apple is very likely keeping staffed by someone 24-hours to watch for more slip-ups.
  • Reply 49 of 208
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    I posted a mirror on my homepage: http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~bih/
  • Reply 50 of 208
    flippyflippy Posts: 8member
    The pics are loading fine for me. I'm looking at System Preferences right now.

Combined: Desktop & Screen Saver (Effects). And Keyboard & Mouse.

Jaguar's 'General' became Panther's 'Appearance'. 'Internet' became '.Mac'.

ColorSync and My Account are gone.

New ones are Expose, Security, and Print & Fax.

Any thoughts to where which one holds a Metal v. Aqua option?
  • Reply 51 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

very interesting

bit dissapointed for some reason tho

That's my recaction too. Somehow I expected more novel stuff to appear even in screenies of common things.

I still have some FUD:

- DVD Player better support DD 5.1 & maybe DTS

- Flavors?

- The dock looked the same

- other random FUDs I can't think of at the moment

edit: ubb
  • Reply 52 of 208
    Anyone else noteice that system preference doesnt have brushed metal look and that startup disk (not necessary for new machines as no os9 boot) is still there which indicates not final version at all.
  • Reply 53 of 208
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Looks like Panther will be GREAT--if these are real.

Exposé looks really nice! I wonder what Microsoft will call it when they copy it?

(PS, I for one LIKE metal--but I wouldn't want it imposed on every app. Keep the mix of white and metal, as long as it makes some sense.)
  • Reply 54 of 208
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

Anyone else noteice that system preference doesnt have brushed metal look and that startup disk (not necessary for new machines as no os9 boot) is still there which indicates not final version at all.

why would startup disk not be neccessary?
  • Reply 55 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

why would startup disk not be neccessary?

Because its used mainly for choosing whether to startup in OS9 or OSX and given that all new kit will only start iin OSX it is pretty much reduntant and you can add that feature somewhere else. Or are you saying that 10.3 will still allow dual booting osx/os9?
  • Reply 56 of 208
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    What did they hide by retouching in the upper-right corner?

I think I like it. Color labels are good too. I want to see it in action already.
  • Reply 57 of 208
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

You need startup disk regardless of if OS 9 is bootable or not. If you have multiple OS X installations (not uncommon with developers) or want to boot from a network/CD you'd need it.
  • Reply 58 of 208
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Because its used mainly for choosing whether to startup in OS9 or OSX and given that all new kit will only start iin OSX it is pretty much reduntant and you can add that feature somewhere else. Or are you saying that 10.3 will still allow dual booting osx/os9?

What about systems with several hard drives?
  • Reply 59 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

What about systems with several hard drives?

Oh, I see. Shows how experienced I am with OSX!
  • Reply 60 of 208
    Notice the main screen shot? the windows in it are a much smaller scale than the rest of the screen (compare the menubar text to the windows).

Now assuming that's not a *really* bad cut and paste job, I guess that is showing us exposé in use. when you move you mouse into a screen corner, 10.3 shows you all the currently open windows in a scaled down form, so you can view them all at the same time and click on the one you want to use next. Think of it as a visual type of alt-tab.

disclaimer: just wot i fink...