New Panther Pics

Comments

• Reply 61 of 208
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

One thing seemed a little weird to me...I might be wrong and if I am please let me know. Underneath the new iChat video window, there is a green bar. I don't know the purpose of it, just that it looks a lot like a Windows XP bar. Am I smoking something?

Sound level I guess.
  • Reply 62 of 208
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Hoofhearted, if you're right, I already like Exposé...

I wonder if we're ever going to get multiple desktops? Panther looks great and we may yet get to see other Panther goodies.
  • Reply 63 of 208
    ducasiducasi Posts: 27member
    Some of the things I notice different...

. System Preferences:

- General -> Appearance

- Internet -> .Mac

- Keyboard & Mouse -> combined

- Separate Desktop and Screen Effects -> "Desktop & Screen Saver"

- Login Items -> gone?

- My Account -> gone?

- New "Security" item.

- New "Exposé" item.

- New "Print & Fax" item.

- ColorSync -> gone? (Maybe in Display and Print?)

. Not much different in Mail:

- "+" icon for new mail folder

- New "Compose" icon - old one was too difficult to hit.

. New Finder:

- Lots obviously different...

- look at the way "Picture 4" is highlighted on the desktop shot.

- Finder icon has been given a aqua make-over. (Look on Dock)

Some other thoughts and guesses...

I like the new non-striped title bars, and the more subdued stripes on windows. New Finder is going to be controversial. "Login Items" will turn into a Folder inside your "Library". Wonder if ".Mac" has all the Internet settings, or have they moved to "Network" (where many of them belong.)

Exposé looks intriguing - 3 out of 4 of my screen corners are currently used by Screen Effects and DragThing; I wonder how this'll work...

Maybe we'll know more in a couple of days...
  • Reply 64 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by ducasi

Some of the things I notice different...

. System Preferences:

Just noticed - the "Show All" Icon is highlighted too.

Same for "Video" in the iChat Preferences.
  • Reply 65 of 208
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    looks mocked up to me.... On the final "screen" picture, notice the size of the window gadgets (X - +) They look totally out of proportion to the menu bar text.... that or this person has set the menu forn to size 20 or something....\

Besidesm I am going to stick with my 10.5 theory!
  • Reply 66 of 208
    hmm, I wonder wether all of those pics are real. look at the system preferences. its title bar has a different look than the rest (you can still slightly see the stripes). same goes for the pic with exposé. this could easily be a mockup, if you ask me...

and besides, that metalf finder window looks cr**...

oh well, we'll see on monday 8)
  • Reply 67 of 208
    you might be onto something there, the way 'show all' is highlighted in the systems preferences pane is certainly wrong, the video option in iChat too looks out ...
  • Reply 68 of 208
    I like the new 'selection marker', or fields, or what its called..
  • Reply 69 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

looks mocked up to me.... On the final "screen" picture, notice the size of the window gadgets (X - +) They look totally out of proportion to the menu bar text.... that or this person has set the menu forn to size 20 or something....\

Besidesm I am going to stick with my 10.5 theory!

The full screen picture shows all the windows of all apps shrunk down - this is obviously "exposé" in action - look at the name of the file!

Panther will be 10.3 - Dave Hyatt has referred to 10.3 in the past.
  • Reply 70 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by dunedain18

hmm, I wonder wether all of those pics are real. look at the system preferences. its title bar has a different look than the rest (you can still slightly see the stripes). same goes for the pic with exposé. this could easily be a mockup, if you ask me...

Interesting comment...

The System Preferences window looks different because it isn't active. Thus it doesn't have the same title bar gradient seen on the others. And - this is a bigger surprise - the title bar isn't transparent.
  • Reply 71 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

you might be onto something there, the way 'show all' is highlighted in the systems preferences pane is certainly wrong, the video option in iChat too looks out ...

"wrong", or just different and new?
  • Reply 72 of 208
    If it is just different and new why isnt it standard. Look at the bar of the new 'activity monitor' for example. Why isnt this new 'selection marker' used there? I don't know, it just looks too much like a mix and match to me, title bars light alu when active but stripped (not transparent) when not, some apps have brushed alu others not ... and the new finder window just looks amateurish. Why move the shorcuts from the Toolbar to a sub window (incidentally why is there a space above applications?) . Also the Adobe InDesign 2.0 folder doesnt look like that, it has an image of the adobe butterfly imposed on it. Also, the DVD player doesnt have abutton to open that side tray. An how come the resolution of these captrues is better than when I look at the real thing on my 15" SD? And why the grabs with the background when you can do a proper grab and just grab each window? And why hide bits of the screen when you have already crossed the ethical line by supposedly leaking top secret images. Why not show it all? And if the large desktop shot is of 'expose' in action (apple would never use that name), why is Safari in the top bar? If Safari were active wouldnt the desktop return to normal?
  • Reply 73 of 208
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    To all of you saying there is stuff wrong with these screenies.

OF COURSE THERE IS, IT IS AN ALPHA!

That's right, Panther isn't finished yet. There will be lots of inconsistancies until it is finished sometime in a few months. Big whoop.

Barto
  • Reply 74 of 208
    Yes, it 'may' be an Alpha but OS 'errors' would at least show up in evry app or window. Not in some and but not in others. The OS doesnt draw on a separate set of rules depending on which window it is showing. If an option is highlighted a certain way like int he Systems Preference pane bar then it will be highlighted in the same way in other OS panes, like 'activity monitor'. I think it is a load of tosh.
  • Reply 75 of 208
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Exposé looks really nice! I wonder what Microsoft will call it when they copy it?

Strangely enough, I somehow felt the new finder with the sectioned off volumes/drives looked oddly similar to the latest version of Windows.
  • Reply 76 of 208
    Quote:

Yes, it 'may' be an Alpha but OS 'errors' would at least show up in evry app or window. Not in some and but not in others. The OS doesnt draw on a separate set of rules depending on which window it is showing. If an option is highlighted a certain way like int he Systems Preference pane bar then it will be highlighted in the same way in other OS panes, like 'activity monitor'. I think it is a load of tosh.

There isn't a highlight in the activity monitor because none of those tools are active.

Look at the "Exposé" window - it's the System Preferences window, but none of the tools are highlighted. Why? Because none are active.

This looks like a late beta, not an alpha. I don't think we are seeing any errors or glitches here.
  • Reply 77 of 208
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Does the discussion above about the Startup Disk preference no longer being required, except possibly for switching between multiple OS Xs, means that we've heard somewhere that Panther only works on Macs incapable of running Mac OS 9?

I only ask because that reason for keeping it was not one of the responses. I know Panther will support the 970, but I didn't think they were going to cut out support for older machines. What's the rumour, or isn't there one really?
  • Reply 78 of 208
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It looks like Panther with a theme applied to the UI. I wouldn't be surprised if the pin stripes stay. I mean why take them out of the window titles and leave it in the menu bar? Doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 79 of 208
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Why has the "Macintosh HD" been renamed Xdrive? Is this Apple's new default name or the preference of a particular user? It sounds ridiculous.

The stripeless title bars look extremely out of place. And (as noted above) they are not consistent with the rest of the UI. Additionally, they look rather too grey in comparison to the rest of the window. I would not mind if Apple got rid of the stripes altogether and then allowed the user a choice between a white theme (akin to what we see in 10.2 but with no stripes) and then a silvery-grey theme.

The new Finder looks absolutely awful in metal. It is too early to tell about usability, though. I have a feeling that I won't like it, though. It seems too much like Microsoft's Explorer, which Steve has often said is not right for navigating an OS. It looks sloppy and thrown together and definitely not intuitive.

I do not care for the changes made regarding highlighting a folder. The large, oddly-colored capsules surrounding the folder names look childish and like something Microsoft would do.

I'm rather disappointed that the dock does not seem to have changed. I was under the impression that Apple was aiming to fix to numerous shortcomings of the dock and build upon its strengths.

The other changes (the updated DVD player, the revised System Preferences, the Activity Monitor) are all welcome additions.

I'll hold of judging Exposé until we see it demoed on Monday.
  • Reply 80 of 208
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

You are assuming all the applications are finished, it's just the core OS that is alpha.

Barto