New Panther Pics

Comments

• Reply 81 of 208
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ari

Why has the "Macintosh HD" been renamed Xdrive? Is this Apple's new default name or the preference of a particular user? It sounds ridiculous.

99% of Mac home users have their own hard drive names.
  • Reply 82 of 208
    ducasiducasi Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

Does the discussion above about the Startup Disk preference no longer being required, except possibly for switching between multiple OS Xs, means that we've heard somewhere that Panther only works on Macs incapable of running Mac OS 9?

No, it's just a misunderstanding. This appears to be Panther running on a TiBook, which is still capable of running Mac OS 9.

BTW, noticed another couple of new things:

- proper separators on menus

- funny spark thing next to "In" mailbox (connected/disconnected?)
  • Reply 83 of 208
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    the finder bothers me, i am not sure why there would be a button to 'open'...and all that other crap.

the windows XP style progress bar or whatever in teh iChat video makes me wonder

the thing that bothers me most is the '+' in teh mail app sidebar...it look so out of place there, like it should be on the righthand side instead of on the left...its in a shadow for the love of god in a shadow!

of course all this arn't saying these are definatly fake, just seem unappleish to me, then again i have slightly higher standards then apple recently (or at least with them and the G4 )
  • Reply 84 of 208
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    this is a work in progress. similart "fake" comments were made when Jaguar first appeared. monday will confirm.
  • Reply 85 of 208
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    dundaine18 - The System Preferences window just doesn't have focus. You'll see a similar difference between the "current" window you have up on your OS X desktop now (well, assuming it isn't Safari...) (which has coloured buttons... well, assuming you haven't selected the Graphite appearance) and the other windows on your screen.

Gargoyle - that's the "Expose in action" screen. What Expose appears to do, given the screenshot and the description, is put all the windows on your desktop, shrunk, so you can see them all. Presumably when you click on a window the desktop reverts to normal, and the window you clicked on is brought to the front.

Sounds potentially very useful.
  • Reply 86 of 208
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    There are many reasons why Startup disk is still a necessary feature. First (as previously stated) the user may have multiple HD's. Second, what about those of us with comps still running OS9? I realize Apple is abandoning it, but there still needs to be a viable way for those of us with OS9 capable Macs to boot into OS9 if necessary (though I have no reason to). There are more but I'll leave it at that...
  • Reply 87 of 208
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I would definitely hold off on trying to explain why you think these are fake, mostly just for your own sakes... The ones in the Mac OS X forum I am not too sure about though. I did notice however that in the Finder shot showing labels and stuff, it uses the (until this screen shot) unique to iCal style of highlighting something in a list. The newer look of flat colors for highlighting stuff seen on the Apple site and iCal can be seen in a few places here.
  • Reply 88 of 208
    How long does Apple plan on keeping Classic alive? I thought when SJ said he was killing off OS9 that would eventually include Classic mode as well. I do like that Printing is now in System Prefs, seems more logical than Apps>Utilities>Print Centre.

Anyone seen the screenshots on Spymac? I think a few are a bit different. I could be wrong though, I'm still on my first cup of coffee so my noodle is still a bit addled by sleep.

Edit: How inappropriate of me, I mentioned Spymac without kindly providing a link to said screenshots. Well, blah, it's early. Here it be: http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showga...=1&ppuser=1946

Edit-Edit: Crud, it is early, Spymac screenshots are all the same. Second cup of coffee needed.
  • Reply 89 of 208
    why xdrive?
  • Reply 90 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

dundaine18 - The System Preferences window just doesn't have focus. You'll see a similar difference between the "current" window you have up on your OS X desktop now (well, assuming it isn't Safari...) (which has coloured buttons... well, assuming you haven't selected the Graphite appearance) and the other windows on your screen.

hmm, maybe, but I think it is weird if you have no stripes in active windows but stripes if they are in background. doesn't make sense at all to me.

sure, maybe that inconsitency (sp?) is because of the relatively early development of panther, to me, this is a bit fishy... anyway, we'll know soon enough...

btw I'd prefer a lighter tone of grey than the une they are supposedly using now. it looks almost a bit too dark to me...
  • Reply 91 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by axdigital

why xdrive?

It's what the guy named his own HD. Nothing more.

Why is this such a point on contention????
  • Reply 92 of 208
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dunedain18

hmm, maybe, but I think it is weird if you have no stripes in active windows but stripes if they are in background. doesn't make sense at all to me.

Well, what stripes there are are fairly subtle. Bear in mind that in Jaguar, inactive window title-bars are also semi-transparent. This works, in part, because of the stripes - if there weren't any, the words on the titlebars would become very difficult to read when overlaid across other titlebars and/or text. The stripes force certain pixels of each word to be less suseptable to blending in with the background.

I can see Apple removing stripes from active (non-transparent) titlebars and leaving them in, more subtlely and with slightly less transparency, for inactive titlebars. Otherwise they'd be forced to drop the entire idea of transparent inactive titlebars if they dropped striping completely.
  • Reply 93 of 208
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Brushed metal "Finder", seems unlikely.
  • Reply 94 of 208
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Brushed metal "Finder", seems unlikely.

I believe it said that it was the new Finder using the brushed metal appearance, as if it is an option.
  • Reply 95 of 208
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I believe it said that it was the new Finder using the brushed metal appearance, as if it is an option.

But do any of Apple's apps have that option now? I though the whole mantra was "stay away from themes"?

Also, the menu with the colour labels in it seems to have a horizontal divider mising above "move to trash".

I can't see them removing title bar stripes and leaving them in elsewhere.
  • Reply 96 of 208
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Assuming these screen shots are real, 10.3 looks a little dull all up to me.

The new finder really looks like XP's finder. It looks like Apple just copied Microsoft. And it looks wrong for some reason - too much white space on the left and at the top. Really odd.

I was hoping that if Apple brought back labels, they'd do something more than just colours. Like small images attached to folders - like fire for "hot", ice for cold, that sort of thing. Boring.

The only interesting thing looks like expose. But the description sounds pretty useless. If instead you can drag something from one application, with the mouse button down go to a corner, see all the app windows, mouse over an app for a second, and that app becomes the front most, so you can drop the object, then it would be useful - and an alternative to a shelf many of us having been wanting for a long time. But if all it is doing is letting you choose the window, big deal.

I'm hoping this is either a very old build, or a fake.
  • Reply 97 of 208
    kneeknee Posts: 2member
    What I don't understand is why Apple seems to be consistently screwing around with the UI of the operating system. One of the hallmarks of the OS before X was how consistent it was from update to update - Apple added functionality, but kept the wrapper basically the same.

With every major upgrade and application release from Apple it seems the concept of UI consistency has been thrown out the window. So much for the great idea of an OS-wide style (the Mac HIG).

I for one think the new finder looks like sh** with totally incongruous crap all over the place. Yo, Apple: fix the problems with the Finder first before you start revamping the look and feel.
  • Reply 98 of 208
    I agree about the finder... too M$, too unintuitive. Why not leave those folders in the toolbar where they belong?
  • Reply 99 of 208
    umm..

How do you select those "dots" for labels?

I don't think the current menu manager can even do a horizontal layout like that, and there would be no reason to make a new manager just for the Finder ( mainly becuase that interface makes no sense!). A design like that requires extra work to create a bad interface, so I highly doubt "it's just an alpha build."

But who knows ... everyone seems to be just excepting these shots.

More scrutiny please.
  • Reply 100 of 208
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally posted by woudstock

umm..

How do you select those "dots" for labels?

I don't think the current menu manager can even do a horizontal layout like that, and there would be no reason to make a new manager just for the Finder ( mainly becuase that interface makes no sense!). A design like that requires extra work to create a bad interface, so I highly doubt "it's just an alpha build."

But who knows ... everyone seems to be just excepting these shots.

More scrutiny please.

And with the colour label menu, it has the words "Color label:" above it. Seems like a bad UI - that would appear as a menu, but you couldn't click it...

Beginning to think fake more and more. A shame though, as expose, as I suggested it should work, would be killer. Not as it has been described though.