how long before g5 Powerbooks?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    matt31matt31 Posts: 14member
    It will be impossible to build the Powerbook G5. The actual G5 can fried an egg in less that a stove. I don't see a new PB G5 in the near future.

Steve when are we going to have or even see the Powerbook 15.4 Al. I need one!!!
  • Reply 22 of 163
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyCash22

sorry, didnt c this was posted already.

Apple: "G5 not going in a PowerBook anytime soon."

Jun 24, 03 | 11:30 am ? MacCentral has published an interview with Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Hardware Product Marketing: "Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us...

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/future/

Wow. Good catch. There you have it then.
  • Reply 23 of 163
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    *sulk*

Still, they wheel out Joz when they don't want us to stop buying. It just means not this year.
  • Reply 24 of 163
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Never one to miss an opportunity to gloat,

I

told

you

so

• Reply 25 of 163
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    No PPC 970 notebooks until the 970 gets a die shrink.

Folks, there is much more to a 970 in a notebook than just getting enough 970 chips. You need a new motherboard, and this is not a motherboard that will be easy to shrink down to powerbook sizes and power consumption. I would say that at BEST, you will have a 15 inch 970 sometime in December/January. In the meantime, the current 15 will get a die shrunk G4. Don't expect a 970 15 inch Albook within five months of a speed bumped G4 15 Ti book.
  • Reply 26 of 163
    I dont see how it can be 'year of the laptop' if the desktop has the better specs (by a long way). I'm glad I got my 15" SD 4 months or so ago, with planned 20"CD soon and G5 tower next year.
  • Reply 27 of 163
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Well since reading that macworld article it seems my dreams of a g5 powerbook any time soon have been dashed. I'm still holding out for a updated 15" but the 12" is looking better and better the more I think about it.
  • Reply 28 of 163
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    nevermind the heat produced by the chip itself, doesn't that 1Ghz bus give off a crapload of heat?
  • Reply 29 of 163
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

nevermind the heat produced by the chip itself, doesn't that 1Ghz bus give off a crapload of heat?

That was more-or-less my previous question (which no one has been able to answer yet), because, scaled back to 1.2 GHz, a G5 in-and-of-itself uses less power than the current G4 at 1 GHz: 19W vs. 21W.
  • Reply 30 of 163
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

But good googley moogley....

/me pines for Belle.../
  • Reply 31 of 163
    Year of the Laptop

This was pure marketing mumbo jumbo. Apple thought at that time that they would not be able to announce a new G5 PowerMac until September 03 at the earliest. G4 PowerMac sales were stagnant and so they needed a marketing ploy to make people buy more hardware - enter 'Year of the laptop'. Launching the 12" and 17" PB gave Apple breathing space and took attention away from the PowerMac line.

However, IBM got ahead of themselves and hey presto, we have a (psuedo-prototype/very early production) G5 PowerMac on display at WWDC. This is great news for Apple and the marketing and press now focus on this.

Year of the Laptop was pure marketing. As much as I want a new 15.X" PB (hopefully with a 970) I realise that Apple had to hype one market sector to take the heat off another.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and they make sense to me.

Please Steve, release a roadmap to the dev. community so that we can see when the G5 will hit the laptops.

Grizzly (drunk again)
  • Reply 32 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyCash22

Apple: "G5 not going in a PowerBook anytime soon."

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/future/

That's because they're still developing the 19" laptop, which has enough room to fit the 9 fans they need.

But could you imagine if they introduced a 970 Powerbook yesterday? People would be saying, "Centri-who?" Instead of a code name like Blackbird, they would have labeled it "The Bluebird of Happiness."

Okay— back to reality...
  • Reply 33 of 163
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

It seems the bus is half the clock speed of the processor. If the processor ran at 1.2 GHz (the number frequently tossed around) then the bus would run at 600MHz. Much slower and requiring less power than the 2 GHz tower' bus. Possibly the PB bus would run at a lower voltage as well. Both the slower clock and lower V would reduce power requirements. I don't know if that reduces the power enough to shoehorn the 970 into a laptop.

I agree with many of the others, I can't wait for the next 15" Al PB (G4 or G5).
  • Reply 34 of 163
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    IBM could produce a low voltage PPC 970 at one ghz. he will perform mostly like a 1,5 ghz G4, and will not produce much heat. The memory will be DDR 333. Technically i think it's possible.

Quote:

me pines for Belle...

You are not alone
  • Reply 35 of 163
    The problem I see is that If I needed a new powerbook today great I might wait to see a 15" upgrade and buy it when it came out. But I looking to buy Feb/March next year. I will not buy a G4 Powerbook to run Panther, I will put off my purchase until I see a G5 PB.
  • Reply 36 of 163
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wait, is Panther some sort of system/power hog? Don't tell me that with each major update, the demands for properly running OS X go up another generation of chip.

Please.

I mean, do all these iBook and iMac owners (ahem...) get shut out of Panther all of a sudden? Doubt it.

I'd imagine any sort of G4, 800MHz and above will handle it quite well. And since that pretty much means EVERYTHING in Apple lineup (except the iBook...sigh), Panther is for everyone!

• Reply 37 of 163
    Anyone remembers how long G4 towers were around, before the first TiBook was released ? As far as I remember that was around a year.

Exact same discussion back then: a G4 powerbook will only be good to boil a cup of water to make some tea.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at the same timespan now...

IMHO ofcourse...
  • Reply 38 of 163
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I agree. That's why, as of yesterday, I've all but set aside my hopes/dreams for a G5 PowerBook anytime before next March or so. I'll proudly purchase, use, dote on (and evangelize with) an updated aluminum G4-based 15"...IF THEY'D EVER RELEASE IT!!!!!

WHAT is the hold up?

• Reply 39 of 163
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BostonMJH

The problem I see is that If I needed a new powerbook today great I might wait to see a 15" upgrade and buy it when it came out. But I looking to buy Feb/March next year. I will not buy a G4 Powerbook to run Panther, I will put off my purchase until I see a G5 PB.

My guess is that you might be able to get a G5 by then. I would say 60% possibility. The real question is when are the current powerbooks going to be updated (if they get updated in October, then no G5's for a while), and when will the G5 fo through its first die shrink?

The REAL question is how far along is Apple with making a new motherboard... oh wait, I just remembered that the 17 inch Al book has a new motherboard. I don't see Apple using that motherboard for less than a year, so I think that a 970 is quite a ways away.

Here is the test:

If the new 15 has a new mobo, then it is going to be a very long time until we get a 970 powerbook. If the new 15 is the same mobo, then a 970 is near(er).

I'm rambling. Why is my code profiler so slow?
  • Reply 40 of 163
    Yes Panther will be for everyone, which means I can run it on my current PB. But if if I am going to spend over $2000 for a new 15" PB in 2004 I want a G5 so if I have to wait for a G5, I will simply wait.