Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 261 of 552
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Brad, we need another fix brother... hook us up!

You know this thread is good when, on your way home from work you wonder: "hmmm, maybe Brad posted some more cool screens from Panther DP1".

What screens do you want? Tell me how to do an inline image and I'll post whatever you ask for (so I don't have to upload them all to my site).

Here is a reproducible bug in Panther Finder:

1. Get to the Root level in the filesystem (what used to be called "Computer").

2. Drag the icon of the "Your Name's Computer" from the title bar of the window to the customizable lower left list of folders/apps/etc., aiming it at the top or bottom of the list (not letting it springload any items already in the list).

3. Finder will crash and restart itself.
  • Reply 262 of 552
    mpmcquinnmpmcquinn Posts: 13member
    Does Panther have a lock screen feature akin to Windows XP?
  • Reply 263 of 552
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mpmcquinn

If I'm thinking of the right thing, then Jaguar actually has it.... go to Utilities --> Keychain Access --> View menu --> Show status in menu bar. You'll get a padlock in the menu bar, which will allow you to lock your screen.
  • Reply 264 of 552
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mpmcquinn

Jaguar does.

Screensaver with pword and a hot corner ... just push the mouse top right (or wherever) and you're done.

This does exactly the same as the Keychain thingy.
  • Reply 265 of 552
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by synp

How about VPN?

I saw on macbidouille some screen captures. One includes AirPort and a VPN icon (that wasn't clicked). It could also under networking. There was also a Security panel in Preferences. Could we have screenshots of these panes? Is there some other way to configure IPsec or L2TP in Panther?

Thanks.

Lack of VPN support is the main reason why my company will not even consider using powerbooks. I think it is a very important question.
  • Reply 266 of 552
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

Lack of VPN support is the main reason why my company will not even consider using powerbooks. I think it is a very important question.

What kind of VPN do you use?
  • Reply 267 of 552
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

Funny thing... my university reqires VPN to access the network and Internet via Wireless-LAN and Cisco's VPN client works just fine. There is also VPN Tacker which should work with all kinds of VPN servers.
  • Reply 268 of 552
    Sorry for not scanning the whole thread, but are there any changes/enhancements in Inkwell under Panhter?
  • Reply 269 of 552
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Funny thing... my university reqires VPN to access the network and Internet via Wireless-LAN and Cisco's VPN client works just fine. There is also VPN Tacker which should work with all kinds of VPN servers.

I checked out the link, and it looks like it should work with Win 2000 server. I am calling my IT guy this AM to see what he says. Thanks!!
  • Reply 270 of 552
    I'm at work on a Dell of all things so if anyone could confirm that this works for me then that would be great!

Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

If I'm thinking of the right thing, then Jaguar actually has it.... go to Utilities --> Keychain Access --> View menu --> Show status in menu bar. You'll get a padlock in the menu bar, which will allow you to lock your screen.

• Reply 271 of 552
    Yes, this indeed does work. (Keychain Access, veiw, show status in menubar) I did it and it works like a charm.

(edit- why would you want this? Why would you not just simply turn on your screen saver and put password protection on it, seems to do the same thing...if I am wrong, forgive my ignorance.Example of what I do everyday before lunch, put the cursor in the hot spot..locks all unwanted hands from my mac.)

-tommy
  • Reply 272 of 552
    carbonidecarbonide Posts: 15member
    I can confirm the existence of such a menu (it also exists in Jaguar although it has less features). The lock pad menu has the following commands:

- lock screen

- lock All Keychains

- lock "login"

- Unlock "System"

- Open Keychain Access?

I don't know why they put login and system between quotation marks
  • Reply 273 of 552
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Because those are specific names of Keychains. Jaguar's keychain .menu has no less items, btw.
  • Reply 274 of 552
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Since a couple of you guys were asking, ow about some more screens of the various apps in the Utilities folder? I can't recall if we saw all the modes of the new Disk Utility app (which includes Disk Copy now I believe), but that is an important one. Basically I'd be interested to see anything that has new features from the previous utility.

The Network Utility is another I don't think I've seen revamped screens of.
  • Reply 275 of 552
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Since a couple of you guys were asking, ow about some more screens of the various apps in the Utilities folder?

They're really all the same so far. I suspect some changes may come in later builds.

When i took that series of shots, I literally just went through every app looking for anything that might have changed.

A couple places I realize I did forget are the Network pane in System Preferences and the updated Mail.app. I'll get to them in a bit.

Any other requests tonight? I'm having to dual-boot for this number here because of some very weird networking problems in Panther and it not wanting to connect to my LAN.
  • Reply 276 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Any other requests tonight?

How about Inkwell? Any changes? Any screenshots?
  • Reply 277 of 552
    Oh, and one little thing from page 3 that I never got around to addressing:

Quote:

Originally posted by foad

Hey there Brad...you are just a little wrong. YOu can still drag icons into the top part of the FINDER window as you can do now. The reason that it might seem like you can't is because of the FLEXIBLE SPACE UI element. If you drag a icon to the left a little (where the flexible space ends) you can leave it there. If you go to customize the finder window, you can remove that FLEXIBLE SPACE UI element.

This is not correct. I removed the flexible space and I *still* can't add regular files and folders to the toolbar. Care to point out anything I might be missing?
  • Reply 278 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

How about Inkwell? Any changes? Any screenshots?

I don't have any input devices that use Inkwell; so, I can't check this.
  • Reply 279 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The question is: why would you add files or folders in the toolbar as opposed to the sidebar? The lack of ability to do this is probably a function of the (now proper) CFToolbar. I like how Panther clearly differentiates the locations from the tools in the Finder. I'm hoping the Dock will do something conceptually similar; gain more "tools" and differentiate its content moreso than the current one.

Are there any newfangled tricks to text in Cocoa, i.e., in TextEdit? How about colors?
  • Reply 280 of 552
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey Brad,

When you're doing Mail, can you do a screenshot of the prefs screen that shows the kind of notifications that Mail provides when you get an email? I use Entourage and have scripted actions when I get mail from certain senders. I'm particularly interested in playing ANY sound I desire when I get mail from certain people.

Ta!